Locations… (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, June 24, 2014, 16:57 (3599 days ago)

I thought there were more? Jason only said Earth, Moon, Venus, and Mars. Is this a case of not revealing all, or are Jupiter and Saturn and the like DLC?

Also what is reef and vanguard?

Locations…

by Yapok @, Tuesday, June 24, 2014, 16:58 (3599 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I believe he said thats all he could talk about ;)

Locations…

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Tuesday, June 24, 2014, 17:04 (3599 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I thought there were more? Jason only said Earth, Moon, Venus, and Mars. Is this a case of not revealing all, or are Jupiter and Saturn and the like DLC?

Isn't the reef the debris field bathed in a purple glow seen in Jones' gameplay experience video?

~m

Locations…

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Tuesday, June 24, 2014, 17:08 (3599 days ago) @ Malagate

Yep. It seems likely that The Reef, where the Awoken come from, is the cobled together remnant of colony ships that tried to flee the collapse.

Locations…

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Tuesday, June 24, 2014, 17:15 (3599 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Something about that little cutscene with the probable Queen of the Reef tells me the Reef will be a lot more like the City than not, gameplay-wise.

Locations…

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Wednesday, June 25, 2014, 14:50 (3598 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Bungie Quarians.

Locations…

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, June 25, 2014, 16:10 (3598 days ago) @ stabbim

Perhaps not so dramatic, but it will be interesting to see how non-City Awoken are treated. From the sound of it a lot of Awoken stayed with the Reef while only a few came back to help The City.

Locations…

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Tuesday, June 24, 2014, 17:09 (3599 days ago) @ Cody Miller

In previous ViDocs they've mentioned at least Saturn. I wouldn't read too much into it. :)

Locations…

by Fuertisimo, Tuesday, June 24, 2014, 20:30 (3599 days ago) @ Ragashingo

In previous ViDocs they've mentioned at least Saturn. I wouldn't read too much into it. :)

There's some nifty concept art for an ice planet/moon as well.

That would be Europa if I'm not mistaken

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, June 24, 2014, 22:16 (3599 days ago) @ Fuertisimo

And it looks gorgeous.

That would be Europa if I'm not mistaken

by SonofMacPhisto @, Wednesday, June 25, 2014, 09:53 (3598 days ago) @ Xenos

And it looks gorgeous.

WATCH OUT FOR MONOLITHS

I have the right moon right

Yes, yes you do.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, June 25, 2014, 10:26 (3598 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

- No text -

:D

by SonofMacPhisto @, Wednesday, June 25, 2014, 12:56 (3598 days ago) @ Xenos

Thanks, Dave.

Locations…

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Tuesday, June 24, 2014, 18:51 (3599 days ago) @ Cody Miller

The Reef is an area in the asteroid belt.

I'm still a bit fuzzy on "vanguard" but it looks like it is used to collectively refer to a superset of all guardians as well as a special position with relation to a character class.

Its going to be a real grind for us

by Pyromancy @, discovering fire every week, Tuesday, June 24, 2014, 21:18 (3599 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by Pyromancy, Tuesday, June 24, 2014, 21:59

The story is an investment system.
Possibly we do not get to explore the outer planets in the first game? They have a much talked about '10 year story arc' that they have to pay off? Keeping part of the solar system 'off limits' for the time being might be in the best interest of the story and the successive content or titles that may come?

The solar system is being overtaken by The Darkness. Maybe we have combat Darkness and use the Traveller's Light, over time, to reveal planets and their moons after which they become "accessible" to us? A bigger, badder, evil awaits us out there. Or possibly the greatest of Evils hangs quietly, low above The Last City...waiting...

by Yapok @, Tuesday, June 24, 2014, 21:21 (3599 days ago) @ Pyromancy

It seems the most likely way to expand the game to me. The solar system is vast and there are lots of places that we could go :)

by SonofMacPhisto @, Wednesday, June 25, 2014, 09:56 (3598 days ago) @ Yapok

It seems the most likely way to expand the game to me. The solar system is vast and there are lots of places that we could go :)

As that bit thing says in Tron, yesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyes. Keep it to places we actually know something about so the fiction is way better. Like hey Bungie, we've got probes on the way to Jupiter and Pluto, hang off on those places until some of that sweet, sweet info is in eh?

Go nuts on Saturn though. Cassini so pimp.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Wednesday, June 25, 2014, 10:56 (3598 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

I hope we have a level on the sun. It's my favorite planet.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Wednesday, June 25, 2014, 12:56 (3598 days ago) @ bluerunner

psh Mercury isn't good enough for you?

by PerseusSpartacus, G'rndl Prime, Wednesday, June 25, 2014, 22:02 (3598 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

I think he likes his bread to be charred black, not just toasted.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Wednesday, June 25, 2014, 23:00 (3598 days ago) @ PerseusSpartacus

I think he likes his bread to be charred black, not just toasted.

AND NO AMOUNT OF SCRAPING WILL REMOVE THE BLACK PARTS!

by HavokBlue, California, Wednesday, June 25, 2014, 03:33 (3598 days ago) @ Pyromancy

If the screenshots from the destiny selfie radio broadcast thing were anything to go by, we'll be going out at least as far as Charon.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Wednesday, June 25, 2014, 14:58 (3598 days ago) @ Pyromancy

While I still think there's more in the initial game than those 4 locations, I sort of like your idea of expanding outward later on. Whether that's in DLC or later games... well, whatever.

It would make sense in that case that, in addition to Earth, we're starting with the Moon, Venus, and Mars. They are our closest neighbors.

Does that leave Mercury as a possible undiscussed option for the first game? Since it's closer to the inside of the solar system than those other locations, it doesn't make sense to me to have it be a later conquest. Or, maybe Mercury's just too inhospitable even for the Traveler's terraforming, and there's nothing there to find. :)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, June 25, 2014, 17:01 (3598 days ago) @ stabbim

While I still think there's more in the initial game than those 4 locations, I sort of like your idea of expanding outward later on. Whether that's in DLC or later games... well, whatever.

It would make sense in that case that, in addition to Earth, we're starting with the Moon, Venus, and Mars. They are our closest neighbors.

Does that leave Mercury as a possible undiscussed option for the first game? Since it's closer to the inside of the solar system than those other locations, it doesn't make sense to me to have it be a later conquest. Or, maybe Mercury's just too inhospitable even for the Traveler's terraforming, and there's nothing there to find. :)

In the recent New Beginnings trailer the narrator says that "Mercury became a garden world..." Plus we've seen a player ship making its loading screen flyby of Mercury in previous ViDocs or whatever.

Alpha Centauri, Anyone?

by PerseusSpartacus, G'rndl Prime, Wednesday, June 25, 2014, 22:15 (3598 days ago) @ Pyromancy

Possibly we do not get to explore the outer planets in the first game? They have a much talked about '10 year story arc' that they have to pay off? Keeping part of the solar system 'off limits' for the time being might be in the best interest of the story and the successive content or titles that may come?

The solar system is being overtaken by The Darkness. Maybe we have combat Darkness and use the Traveller's Light, over time, to reveal planets and their moons after which they become "accessible" to us? A bigger, badder, evil awaits us out there. Or possibly the greatest of Evils hangs quietly, low above The Last City...waiting...

There's also the possibility that in later games we finally leave our Solar System and carry the fight elsewhere. After all, that has been hinted at, and really, humanity's empire is hinted as having extended beyond just our one little System, and now it is our goal to reclaim all that we have lost - that would include other Systems.

So, here's one possible line-up:

Destiny 1 - We are limited to a select number of planets, probably from Mercury to Saturn.
Destiny 2 - We now can access the entire Solar System, all the way out to Pluto.
Destiny 3 - We now have access to both our Solar System and a couple of other, smaller systems.

Here's another possible line-up:

Destiny 1 - We are limited to our Solar System, but we have access to everything there (at least, everything within reason - I doubt we'll be able to walk on the surface of Jupiter).
Destiny 2 - We escape our System and make it to a couple of others, where the bulk of the difficult combat is - there'll probably be some alien fringe worlds here.
Destiny 3 - We start attacking the enemy Core Worlds, and probably even their own Homeworld[s].

Anyways, just a thought.

Vale,
Perseus

Alpha Centauri, Anyone?

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, June 25, 2014, 22:49 (3598 days ago) @ PerseusSpartacus

Well, both The Traveler and The Darkness came from beyond our system So, somewhere in the heavens... someone is waiting for us...

Alpha Centauri, Anyone?

by Blue_Blazer_NZ, Wellington, New Zealand, Thursday, June 26, 2014, 02:30 (3597 days ago) @ PerseusSpartacus

There's also the possibility that in later games we finally leave our Solar System and carry the fight elsewhere. After all, that has been hinted at, and really, humanity's empire is hinted as having extended beyond just our one little System, and now it is our goal to reclaim all that we have lost - that would include other Systems.

So, here's one possible line-up:

Destiny 1 - We are limited to a select number of planets, probably from Mercury to Saturn.
Destiny 2 - We now can access the entire Solar System, all the way out to Pluto.
Destiny 3 - We now have access to both our Solar System and a couple of other, smaller systems.

Yeah, I agree with your line of thought, and I'm more thinking something along the lines of your first possible lineup.
However, I know there's lots of talk out there about this first Destiny title including Jupiter, Saturn (or at least their moons), and the other planets in some way in some way, but I'm not pinning my hopes on that. I'm being conservative for now. For the first title I'm sticking with what we know is in the game at this stage; Earth, The Moon, Venus, Mars, The Reef, and possibly Mercury. That's already a huge amount of content; anything more in this first title is a massive plus for me.

P.S. Poor old Pluto isn't technically a planet anymore, however I guess it could still be in considering our Moon is.

I'll have to share the opinion, unfortunately

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, June 26, 2014, 05:10 (3597 days ago) @ Blue_Blazer_NZ

We have to remember this game is also going on 360 and PS3 too, not only the new ones.

Also, for all we know, there could be bases on the asteroid belts. No need to restrict the game to official planets. ;)

Alpha Centauri, Anyone?

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Thursday, June 26, 2014, 09:44 (3597 days ago) @ PerseusSpartacus

Big fan of the Distrust-the-Traveller camp. And I would expect our range in the Sol system to be limited until we bring the light of the Traveller to other points in-system. Makes plenty of sense. Whether those locations are simply opened up by completing missions, or whether they're opened up in successive rounds of DLC, I wouldn't have any issue.

I would be bugged, however, if we never got to see all the areas within our own system within D1.

Here's another possible line-up:

Destiny 1 - We are limited to our Solar System, but we have access to everything there (at least, everything within reason - I doubt we'll be able to walk on the surface of Jupiter).
Destiny 2 - We escape our System and make it to a couple of others, where the bulk of the difficult combat is - there'll probably be some alien fringe worlds here.
Destiny 3 - We start attacking the enemy Core Worlds, and probably even their own Homeworld[s].

This is the idea I like best.

A lot of it depends on the nature of the Traveller, though. Is it merely some kind of autonomous uplift drone? I guess it's all storyline content that we've yet to see, but I want to know whether the assistance is overt, or merely just a convenient byproduct of the Traveller's presence.

Wouldn't that be something if we meet the Traveller's creators somewhere down the line and they're astounded that we even exist, that we struggled and fought in the shadow of their deluxe Roomba and prevailed?

~m

Alpha Centauri, Anyone?

by roland ⌂ @, Friday, June 27, 2014, 13:56 (3596 days ago) @ PerseusSpartacus

I like this option a lot more!

There are tons of cool things to see in our own Solar System! It's seems pretty common for (large-scale exploration style) science fiction video games to take place in other solar systems. I think there's a lot of room in Destiny to uniquely blend science fiction and reality, which is a strong part of what makes the world of Destiny both "mysterious" and "intriguing". It's that familiarity, yet weirdness, that makes exploring the worlds of Destiny so interesting and Destiny would seem like a very different game to me if that feeling were completely lost in future installments.

Alpha Centauri, Anyone?

by PerseusSpartacus, G'rndl Prime, Friday, June 27, 2014, 23:19 (3596 days ago) @ roland

There are tons of cool things to see in our own Solar System! It's seems pretty common for (large-scale exploration style) science fiction video games to take place in other solar systems. I think there's a lot of room in Destiny to uniquely blend science fiction and reality, which is a strong part of what makes the world of Destiny both "mysterious" and "intriguing". It's that familiarity, yet weirdness, that makes exploring the worlds of Destiny so interesting and Destiny would seem like a very different game to me if that feeling were completely lost in future installments.

I would think we'd always be able to do some fighting back home on Earth, Mars, etc. - pushing back enemy raiding parties, for instance - in addition to returning to the City for goods.

Vale,
Perseus

That they are talking about...

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, June 24, 2014, 22:28 (3599 days ago) @ Cody Miller

From the Jason Sussman interview on Escapist (link) he says that those four are all they are "talking about." Which definitely implies there will be more.

Locations…

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, June 25, 2014, 04:02 (3598 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Well, they are each the size of Reach, so there's that. He revealed no more than has been revealed by the screenshots of the director. Personally, I could go dark today and be happy. The one thing I'd like to still know about is whether there is a theater mode. Also, I hope Sussman's silence on whether we can visit the City was to save surprises for us. Regarding the future, anyone remember how at that panel last year Christopher Barrett shushed Staten for hinting that the games would end up beyond our solar system?

Locations…

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, June 25, 2014, 07:35 (3598 days ago) @ Kermit

The most recent trailer talked about humanity knowing that they would one day walk in the light of other stars...

Locations…

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Wednesday, June 25, 2014, 14:49 (3598 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I'm wondering about that myself. The language "that's all we're talking about right now" leaves a lot to the imagination. I don't know if we have sufficient info to determine what he means.

That being said, the most likely scenario in my mind is that there are more than those 4 destinations in the initial shipping game. Only because it's usually the case that Bungie hasn't revealed all the locations in other games prior to release (not counting games that only took place in one location, of course). In fact, I seem to remember Halo 2 catching a lot of flack from some players because it took place in locations they hadn't been shown prior to release. :P

Locations…

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, June 25, 2014, 14:51 (3598 days ago) @ stabbim

That being said, the most likely scenario in my mind is that there are more than those 4 destinations in the initial shipping game. Only because it's usually the case that Bungie hasn't revealed all the locations in other games prior to release (not counting games that only took place in one location, of course).

Yeah this seems pretty likely to me. Bungie likes leaving surprises. Giving a list of all locations you'll visit in the game seems like an unBungie move.

Locations…

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, June 25, 2014, 16:23 (3598 days ago) @ Xenos

Indeed. Heck, did we even know there'd be a new Halo in Halo 2?

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread