Anyone here read kanji? *img* (Destiny)

by Hedge ⌂, Australia, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 13:02 (4078 days ago)

[image]

From the PS4 video.

-Hedge.

Anyone here read kanji? *img*

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 13:51 (4078 days ago) @ Hedge

lol - I went back to this:

[image]

But no, unfortunately, it's something new. (UNFORTUNATELY? WHAT'S WRONG WITH ME?)

Here's a slightly larger version:

[image]

by Hedge ⌂, Australia, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 13:57 (4078 days ago) @ Claude Errera

PetetheDuck is on the case and has worked out the first 2 characters as possibly reading "Heaven Gem." Could be "jewel."

I should ask Louis Wu. He'd know...

-Hedge. (I went back to that image first as well. haha.)

by Hedge ⌂, Australia, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 15:15 (4078 days ago) @ Hedge

DestinyHub had a literal translation which was "Sky Orb Dawn Light."

DestinyHub

Neat.

-Hedge.

The sun?

by Atsumi ⌂, Jefferson City, MO, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 15:25 (4078 days ago) @ Hedge

- No text -

The sun? - Update

by Hedge ⌂, Australia, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 16:02 (4078 days ago) @ Atsumi

I asked Urk if the kanji "sky orb dawn light" could be interpreted as "Morning Star" or "Rising Sun" and he said they were both very close.

Ideas anyone?

-Hedge.

The sun? - Update

by NsU Soldier @, Washington, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 18:04 (4078 days ago) @ Hedge

I asked Urk if the kanji "sky orb dawn light" could be interpreted as "Morning Star" or "Rising Sun" and he said they were both very close.

Ideas anyone?

-Hedge.

Asked a few good friends who are familiar with Japanese kanji and they said the second character is "pearl", not "orb". So the first two translate to something like, "Heavenly Pearl".

They were unsure of the third character as it's tough to make out. It probably is "dawn", but one of my friends suggested it might be a seal, not a character.

The last character doesn't look too much like "light" to me, as it doesn't seem to have a jutting line in the upper right, and the lower right 'hook' seems to be a straight line. It could be though, it's a little tough to make out, tbh.

Anyway, hope that helps a bit. :)

The sun? - Update

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 18:10 (4078 days ago) @ NsU Soldier

What if "heavenly pearl" is a way to describe "that pearl looking thing in the heavens", aka The Traveler or perhaps even the moon? I'm grasping at straws here

Thought about the Traveler too

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, February 21, 2013, 18:13 (4078 days ago) @ JDQuackers

- No text -

Same

by Smee, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 18:28 (4078 days ago) @ ZackDark

- No text -

Did someone say Morning Star?

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, February 22, 2013, 11:48 (4078 days ago) @ Hedge

*OT* BTW.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, February 22, 2013, 12:07 (4077 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

The sun? - Update

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Saturday, February 23, 2013, 10:06 (4077 days ago) @ Hedge

Ideas anyone?

-Hedge.

Venus has historically been known as the morning star; with the apparent planet-hopping it would fit about as well as anything else.

by Kaboris, Friday, February 22, 2013, 11:46 (4078 days ago) @ Hedge

I have never seen these characters stringed together but I am inclined to read 天珠曙光 in English as "Heavenly Pearl Aurora".

Steve Christofferson
Yokohama, Japan

by Pyromancy @, discovering fire every week, Sunday, October 06, 2013, 13:40 (3851 days ago) @ Kaboris

Apologies for digging up an old thread and cross-threading topics here, but I remembered Hedge's great old post and thought it good to reference back to it.

On Destiny Trading Card # 7 "Destination: Moon" we see the same lunar outpost with the orange logo and image of the last two characters, more clearly. I wondered if the translate was consistent with prior guesses or if we are more clearly seeing a slightly differing character?

Thanks to Xenos for posting the Reddit which now includes images provided through user MangledRex (unsure if original source)

[image]

[image]

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Sunday, October 06, 2013, 14:02 (3851 days ago) @ Pyromancy

Awesome! I've been waiting for the images!

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Sunday, November 10, 2013, 12:22 (3816 days ago) @ Pyromancy
edited by General Vagueness, Sunday, November 10, 2013, 12:47

and I thought I responded to threads late ;)
Anyway I didn't think Kaboris's version, which seemed to basically be the one people were working from, was right (I didn't see the horizontal line or the diagonal line in the upper left). That means the previous translation efforts still apply-- assuming these are the same two characters anyway.The left one is clearly the same as the second one from the left in the older shots, I'm not completely sure about the other one.
Regardless, these two characters are also on the pipe or round hallway on the left of the lower picture.

LMAO

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Sunday, November 10, 2013, 12:47 (3816 days ago) @ General Vagueness

You do realize the irony, don't you, Vague?

LMAO

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Sunday, November 10, 2013, 12:48 (3816 days ago) @ ZackDark

You do realize the irony, don't you, Vague?

of course I do, that makes it better

Dear Bungie, please add furigana next time. Your pals, DBO.

by Beckx, Friday, February 22, 2013, 12:22 (4077 days ago) @ Hedge

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread