Bungie teases new Beta location on Twitter (Destiny)

by Yapok @, Monday, June 30, 2014, 13:11 (3593 days ago)

Bungie teases new Beta location on Twitter

by Doooskey, Kansas City, MO, Monday, June 30, 2014, 13:26 (3593 days ago) @ Yapok

Looks like Mars...

Specifically, looks like a portion of a Mars based PVP map we have seen before.

That was teased on the BWU, no?

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Monday, June 30, 2014, 14:00 (3593 days ago) @ Yapok

- No text -

so it was - my memory is terrible it seems

by Yapok @, Monday, June 30, 2014, 14:04 (3593 days ago) @ ZackDark

- No text -

Anyway, lets speculate!

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Monday, June 30, 2014, 14:52 (3593 days ago) @ Yapok

Given the overall bright lighting, even thought there is an obvious focus of light farther ahead (behind the structure), as well as the solar panels (?) all over the skybox, I wonder if that's Mercury.

None needed

by Pyromancy @, discovering fire every week, Monday, June 30, 2014, 23:12 (3593 days ago) @ ZackDark

Given the overall bright lighting, even thought there is an obvious focus of light farther ahead (behind the structure), as well as the solar panels (?) all over the skybox, I wonder if that's Mercury.

[image]

It appears to me to be a different perspective of this scene that we caught a glimpse of before (I forget which video). On Mars.
Note the now clearer H2O "sign" seen in the background of this image above

[image]
Mods/Claude, if a local copy of this image exists please localize my post. Tried to search around here but couldn't find it. Rooftop_desktop from Bnet

You're totally right!

by BeingU, Tuesday, July 01, 2014, 00:38 (3592 days ago) @ Pyromancy

I can see how it's a different view of the same scene, and have circled the features that match up. Interestingly, the level has changed a bit since the older picture.

[image]
[image]

Nice match!

by Yapok @, Tuesday, July 01, 2014, 07:11 (3592 days ago) @ Pyromancy

- No text -

Very good catch

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Tuesday, July 01, 2014, 07:18 (3592 days ago) @ Pyromancy

Interesting how less faded it looks now.

And Another

by DaDerga, Baile Átha Cliath, Tuesday, July 01, 2014, 13:39 (3592 days ago) @ Yapok

I wonder if that's Venus

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Tuesday, July 01, 2014, 14:03 (3592 days ago) @ DaDerga

I mean, assuming the giant blue ball of fire is the sun through a weird kind of atmosphere.

I wonder if that's Venus

by DaDerga, Baile Átha Cliath, Tuesday, July 01, 2014, 15:13 (3592 days ago) @ ZackDark

I suspect it is. There's Vex architecture in the pic and Venus has been mentioned in connection with them. There's that reference to the jungles of Venus too.

Gooood. Gooood.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Tuesday, July 01, 2014, 16:11 (3592 days ago) @ DaDerga

- No text -

In that case

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Tuesday, July 01, 2014, 16:22 (3592 days ago) @ DaDerga

What sort of gases would be able to filter our sun's light into blue?

In that case

by DaDerga, Baile Átha Cliath, Tuesday, July 01, 2014, 16:53 (3592 days ago) @ ZackDark

Sometimes on Earth, when there are fires going, or in the wake of a dust-spewing volcano, there is enough red-scattering dust in the air to recreate the look of Mars. The atmosphere does scatter a lot of blue light, but not all blue light. Just enough so the sun looks slightly yellow. The dust so effectively takes care of the red light that what blue light does come down from the sun is the only light that can be seen clearly. The dust doesn't necessarily have to be all around the viewer. If the dust is far off toward the west or east, the sun can be behind it without the viewer necessarily noticing anything wrong - except the sun turning blue.

When The Sun Turns Blue

In that case

by roland ⌂ @, Tuesday, July 01, 2014, 17:13 (3592 days ago) @ ZackDark

What sort of gases would be able to filter our sun's light into blue?

Earth's atmosphere preferentially scatters blue light through a process called Raleigh scattering. The color of the sky (on any planet) is mostly dependent upon the size of the molecules that make up the atmosphere as well as how thick the atmosphere is. On Earth at sunset the sky looks more red because light from the Sun has to travel through significantly more air to get to us, and the blue light is scattered so much along the way that it becomes so diffuse we can't see it anymore. Mars, on the other hand, has a lot of dust in the atmosphere which increases the average size of the particles in the air, so the scattered light is shifted a bit to the red. But there's also a whole lot less air on Mars to scatter light from the Sun, so the true color of the sky is reddish-grayish-blueish. This is approximate true color.

Interestingly, sulfate particles have been demonstrated on Earth to turn the sky even brighter blue. So perhaps the increased volcanism on Venus would explain the bluer sky on a hypothetical post-Traveler "jungly" Venus.

In that case

by DaDerga, Baile Átha Cliath, Tuesday, July 01, 2014, 17:22 (3592 days ago) @ roland

I have two(2) upward pointing thumbs to give you.

Edit: facing is now pointing.

In that case

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Tuesday, July 01, 2014, 18:25 (3592 days ago) @ roland

Interestingly, sulfate particles have been demonstrated on Earth to turn the sky even brighter blue. So perhaps the increased volcanism on Venus would explain the bluer sky on a hypothetical post-Traveler "jungly" Venus.

Now that's what I'm talking about! IIRC, Venus already has an incredible concentration of sulfur in its atmosphere, so maybe the terraforming (or at least whatever happened after the Golden Age) couldn't quite eliminate it.

I wonder if that's Venus

by Spawn ⌂, Wednesday, July 02, 2014, 05:59 (3591 days ago) @ ZackDark

Here's to hoping.

I've been waiting for a couple locations to pop up since the GDC concept art reveal back last year. I hope Venus has a great meta game location, not to far from the beginning or end, right in the middle.

The other location I'm hoping comes up soon is Europa

[image]

Also from the BWU

by RC ⌂, UK, Tuesday, July 01, 2014, 16:14 (3592 days ago) @ DaDerga

C'mon guys, we're not the target audience for their Tweets.

???

by DaDerga, Baile Átha Cliath, Tuesday, July 01, 2014, 16:47 (3592 days ago) @ RC

C'mon guys, we're not the target audience for their Tweets.

Thread was there, no harm in adding to it.

Doesn't mean we can't enjoy the song.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Tuesday, July 01, 2014, 16:55 (3592 days ago) @ RC

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread