Beta Timeframe hinted on the PS Blog, and a treat... (Destiny)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, July 07, 2014, 09:18 (3587 days ago)

At least 9 days, with maintenance happening on two of them.

The thing to note is that special something that'll happen on the 26th... Wonder why they're looking at that date so specifically...

"Hinted"?

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Monday, July 07, 2014, 09:20 (3587 days ago) @ Korny

Bungie already gave it away, silly Korny

"Hinted"?

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, July 07, 2014, 09:31 (3587 days ago) @ ZackDark

Bungie already gave it away, silly Korny

Hadn't read anything yet, but now I did. Three whole days on Xbox consoles? That's uhh... That's interesting...

Beta is offline July 26th

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Monday, July 07, 2014, 09:22 (3587 days ago) @ Korny

Q. Great! When is this glorious Destiny Beta of which you speak?

On PS4 and PS3, the Destiny Beta will begin on July 17th at 10AM PDT.

On Xbox One and Xbox 360, the Destiny Beta will begin on July 23rd at 10AM PDT.

The Destiny Beta will be OFFLINE for maintenance on all systems from July 21st and July 22nd PDT.

The Destiny Beta will close at end of the day on July 26th PDT.

Link

Three days of Beta for Xbox. All this hype. Three days.

by Phoenix_9286 @, Monday, July 07, 2014, 09:44 (3587 days ago) @ INSANEdrive
edited by Phoenix_9286, Monday, July 07, 2014, 09:48

Three days of Beta for Xbox. All this hype. Three days.

To say this annoys me greatly would perhaps be underselling it.

"Oh hai Playstation. Have a week of totally unexpected Alpha!"
"Oh hai Playstation. Have a week and change of Beta!"
"Oh. Hey Xbox. You get three days."

You know, my girlfriend does 911 Dispatch. She's working 12 hour shifts nearly every day. We knew she probably wouldn't get a whole lot of time with it, but we were kinda hoping she'd at least get a weekend.

Nope. Not happening.

I get it. You have to pander to the Sony people, and there's probably all sorts of contractual BS to go along with it. But, and I've said it before, this makes me feel like a second class citizen. "Separate but equal" and so forth.

Is there even a point to jumping into the Beta if I'm only going to get three days? Yeah, better than nothing, but the Alpha was huge. Three days is nothing.

Excuse me while I go find something else to think about so I can cheer up.

Edit: This is fun too. "On July 23rd, we’ll begin emailing Xbox players their Destiny Beta codes." So does that mean you could potentially end up with even LESS time? Will they be nice enough to extend if Xbox users get shafted (ha!) and emails take more than a few hours or a day?

The Alpha was not a week

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Monday, July 07, 2014, 09:54 (3587 days ago) @ Phoenix_9286

I understand the sentiment, it truly is too little for how much bigger the beta will be, but the Alpha was a weekend at best. Also I think you may be overselling the Alpha, it was cool, but not huge.

The Alpha was not a week

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Monday, July 07, 2014, 09:57 (3587 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

I understand the sentiment, it truly is too little for how much bigger the beta will be, but the Alpha was a weekend at best. Also I think you may be overselling the Alpha, it was cool, but not huge.

Any playtime at all is huge to those who haven't had any.

~m

It felt huge to those of us not playing it.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, July 07, 2014, 09:59 (3587 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

And yep, again all these exclusives suck. Big time. :(

The Alpha was not a week

by Phoenix_9286 @, Monday, July 07, 2014, 10:04 (3587 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

Pardon my mistake. I didn't bother to look up any details, and it certainly felt like a week. I stand by my sentiments, however.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Monday, July 07, 2014, 10:10 (3587 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

They've managed to schedule the Xbox Community's whole 3 fucking days for a time when I'm going to be on a family vacation. I might as well cancel my pre-order at this point.

So weird.

by Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316) ⌂ @, Detroit, Monday, July 07, 2014, 10:20 (3587 days ago) @ stabbim

Halo 5 beta is 3 weeks long. It's really messing with my brain that 343's doing all this cool stuff, and Bungie's doing all this shitty stuff. Glad that I'm not interested in Destiny, or I'd be pretty pissed off at this point.

So weird.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, July 07, 2014, 10:29 (3587 days ago) @ Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316)

Halo 5 beta is 3 weeks long. It's really messing with my brain that 343's doing all this cool stuff, and Bungie's doing all this shitty stuff. Glad that I'm not interested in Destiny, or I'd be pretty pissed off at this point.

Like adding terminals where they change the Halo story, you mean?

I suspect that Bungie's beta is for a different purpose than 343's beta. To elaborate: Bungie's beta is to give players a taste and to test the servers. I think it's a little late to make any substantive changes to the game based on this beta, but it certainly will be in three or four weeks time.

From what I've read 343's beta seems more about finding out what people like in multiplayer. You need a lot of data for that.

So weird.

by Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316) ⌂ @, Detroit, Monday, July 07, 2014, 10:50 (3587 days ago) @ Kermit

Like adding terminals where they change the Halo story, you mean?

Nothing's changed. Just adds extra story bits. Way past cool if you ask me.

I suspect that Bungie's beta is for a different purpose than 343's beta. To elaborate: Bungie's beta is to give players a taste and to test the servers. I think it's a little late to make any substantive changes to the game based on this beta, but it certainly will be in three or four weeks time.

Bungie's game is all new. You would think they would want to test it.

From what I've read 343's beta seems more about finding out what people like in multiplayer. You need a lot of data for that.

Halo 4 was a beta. It sucked, and they already know that.

Bungie is testing PvP as well, AFAIK. With all the elements in play there, just seems to be worth more than 3 days of beta test.

So weird.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, July 07, 2014, 13:18 (3587 days ago) @ Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316)

Bungie's game is all new. You would think they would want to test it.

Based on how polished the Alpha was, I think they have. What they can't test without a lot of people is load.

So weird.

by yakaman, Monday, July 07, 2014, 10:30 (3587 days ago) @ Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316)

This. I can't get by...whatever it is that Bungie is doing. Every time my hype level rises to decent levels something like this comes along.

This probably means that I will not be able to participate in the beta. Which probably means that I will not buy the game. I don't understand.

I just don't understand.

Can someone - anyone - from Bungie please comment?

Update on Bungie.net

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Monday, July 07, 2014, 11:09 (3587 days ago) @ Korny

Looks like Bungie has updated the Beta news post with some slight differences:

[image]

Nine days for PlayStation (July 17, 18, 19, 20, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27)
Five days for Xbox (July 23, 24, 25, 26, 27)

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread