IGN First: "Rusted Lands" Map Tour (Destiny)

by GrimBrotherIII, Wednesday, July 09, 2014, 10:15 (3587 days ago)

I give a crap about this.

by petetheduck, Wednesday, July 09, 2014, 11:19 (3587 days ago) @ GrimBrotherIII

This wasn't the big scoop because this was an Alpha map, but I was interested to hear the time of day explanation for multiplayer maps.

I remember being surprised the first time I noticed time of day in multiplayer and just kind of assumed it matched Destiny's overall world clock (oh, I also assumed the existence of an overall world clock). It turns out they've picked particular times of day that look cool and the game randomly selects one when it loads the map. It makes sense, to maintain quality, but I also liked the concept of consistent time of day throughout the Destiny universe.

It makes me wonder if Strikes/etc will have similar discrepancies from other game modes, like Explore.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, July 09, 2014, 11:22 (3587 days ago) @ GrimBrotherIII

I learned many new things:

- I didn't even know the maps had different times of day!
- I like the grenade and maneuver flank demonstrated.
- The movement options around the map look awesome.
- I really wanted him to Super the idle red team. :(

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, July 09, 2014, 11:42 (3587 days ago) @ GrimBrotherIII

One of the more amazing things I liked about the Alpha was not only that the massive spaces seemed to continually open up into more previously undiscovered spaces, but areas you knew were transformed depending on the time of day. It's nice to learn about how that works in PVP.

IGN First: "Rusted Lands" Map Tour

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Wednesday, July 09, 2014, 12:17 (3587 days ago) @ GrimBrotherIII

This map reminds me of one of the Titanfall maps that I love to play on. I hope we see a healthy number of PvP maps in Destiny with good verticality like this... but it will be hard to go back to an FPS without wall running after enjoying Titanfall :)

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Wednesday, July 09, 2014, 12:19 (3587 days ago) @ JDQuackers

...it will be hard to go back to an FPS without wall running after enjoying Titanfall :)

My thoughts exactly.

~m

by yakaman, Wednesday, July 09, 2014, 12:17 (3587 days ago) @ GrimBrotherIII

Enjoy! http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/07/09/destiny-multiplayer-earth-rusted-lands-developer-walkthrough-ign-first?watch

I'd be lying if I said the gameplay doesn't make me all emotional. I...want.

I have some questions regarding the beta:

• Death looks like it comes quick. How did it feel in the Alpha? Most of the deaths looked to be one-shots, with most exceptions coming via mid/long-range machine gunning. Was that the general experience in the Alpha?
  • Are there shields, and can they be augmented?
  • How important was team interplay/support activities? Like, did buffing teammates really help?
  • How was melee combat? Viable? Last resort?
  • Is "vertical" movement pretty important? I've barely ever jet-packed in Halo, for example.
  • I registered my pre-order/beta entry on Bungie.net quite a while ago. I'm assuming that when it comes time, there will be a relatively obvious way to tie my Bungie.net account to my XBox?

Thanks in advance for input.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, July 09, 2014, 12:23 (3587 days ago) @ yakaman

[*] Death looks like it comes quick. How did it feel in the Alpha? Most of the deaths looked to be one-shots, with most exceptions coming via mid/long-range machine gunning. Was that the general experience in the Alpha?

Death is pretty quick. One shots are only with shotguns, snipers, and supers. It's definitely faster than Halo, but I've gotten out of situations a lot before getting killed.

[*] Are there shields, and can they be augmented?

There are shields, and each class does have upgrades to augment how fast the delay is for recharging, and how strong your shields are.

[*] How important was team interplay/support activities? Like, did buffing teammates really help?

Teamplay is pretty important, but there was no buffing in the Alpha.

[*] How was melee combat? Viable? Last resort?

Pretty similar to Halo, two melees kill. Hunters have a throwing knife that is thrown with the melee button that will kill with a headshot.

[*] Is "vertical" movement pretty important? I've barely ever jet-packed in Halo, for example.

I would say it's VERY important. If you can't get used to jetpacking style, try the Hunter, their double jump is very quick.

[*] I registered my pre-order/beta entry on Bungie.net quite a while ago. I'm assuming that when it comes time, there will be a relatively obvious way to tie my Bungie.net account to my XBox?

Tomorrow you'll select your platform on Bungie.net.

by yakaman, Wednesday, July 09, 2014, 15:58 (3587 days ago) @ Xenos

Thanks for the responses. Some follow ups, if you please:

[*] Death looks like it comes quick. How did it feel in the Alpha? Most of the deaths looked to be one-shots, with most exceptions coming via mid/long-range machine gunning. Was that the general experience in the Alpha?

Death is pretty quick. One shots are only with shotguns, snipers, and supers. It's definitely faster than Halo, but I've gotten out of situations a lot before getting killed.

Did this seem OK to you? Meaning, is it something you think you could mitigate as you got better (i.e. more experienced or whatever)? Further, there seemed to be a lot of 1v1, and not much team shooting. True? Or, simply a function of the map type? Is team shooting de-emphasized because of the quick deaths?

Literally tomorrow? I'd be glad to get the red tape out of the way long before the beta period - I don't want to waste what precious time we do have.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, July 09, 2014, 16:15 (3587 days ago) @ yakaman

Thanks for the responses. Some follow ups, if you please:

Did this seem OK to you? Meaning, is it something you think you could mitigate as you got better (i.e. more experienced or whatever)? Further, there seemed to be a lot of 1v1, and not much team shooting. True? Or, simply a function of the map type? Is team shooting de-emphasized because of the quick deaths?

It seemed fine to me. I think most people's complaints I heard about if feeling "too fast" was about supers or too much special ammo (something Bungie said they are adjusting based on feedback). For me I enjoyed it, especially with how fast your character can be it felt about right.

Literally tomorrow? I'd be glad to get the red tape out of the way long before the beta period - I don't want to waste what precious time we do have.

Literally tomorrow, July 10th:

[image]

I give a crap about this

by breitzen @, Kansas, Wednesday, July 09, 2014, 12:24 (3587 days ago) @ GrimBrotherIII

• Love that time of day will change in PVP.
• Control is the only game type for PVP in Beta, looks fun and with the short beta will probably not feel like I'm really missing a true "slayer" arena.
• That Warlock glide looks interesting, can't wait to see how to use it
• These maps are all looking great to me! Can't wait to see some bigger ones!

Light and Shadow? On Last Gen?

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, July 09, 2014, 12:40 (3587 days ago) @ GrimBrotherIII

I liked the part where the shadow might give away an enemy, but wondered if I'll get that on my 360. Obviously not a huge deal since if I don't get it no one I'm playing will, but I wonder where the line gets drawn in terms of non-critical graphical parity.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread