That Wizard Came From Mösting Crater? (Destiny)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, July 09, 2014, 14:49 (3584 days ago)

I was poking around the background image of the DestinyTheGame website (as one tends to do) and spotted a lone latitude listing near the middle of the image:

[image]

"Something interesting!" I thought... but there was no longitude I could find. I poked around the Earth trying to find cities or countries even close to that lat... and nothing. My hopes of finding Puerto Princesa confirmation were dashed when I saw it was listed at: 09°44′N 118°44′E. But then I typed in the numbers just the right way and low and behold: Mösting Crater!

It's a 2.8Km deep hole in the moon's surface. Could this be the location of the Hive's Hellmouth?
[image] [image]

A bit more searching showed that this has been found elsewhere but I don't think it was ever mentioned here. Pretty neat. I love it when Destiny ties together the real world with its Mythic Scifi one. :)

That Wizard Came From Mösting Crater?

by Stephen Laughlin ⌂ @, Long Beach, CA, Thursday, July 10, 2014, 21:03 (3583 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Whoa, cool! It's new to me. Nice find.

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Friday, July 11, 2014, 18:00 (3582 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I went to double-check if there was anything interesting near that longitude and it occurred to me it could be declination, like longitude for the sky,* so I spent probably an hour researching that and yes, it could be that, and now I don't have time to check what's at that declination, but it's very close to the celestial equator, so if you're going to check that might help you get oriented, and it might not be something that specific, I'm thinking it could have to do with one of the constellations that that declination runs through (which should be the same ones the celestial equator runs through).
Taking a guess at the meaning, if it's one of a pair of celestial coordinates, it's probably where either the Traveler or the Darkness (or both?) came from.

* some celestial coordinate systems use longitude and from what I can tell it's the same dimension as declination and usually even measured the same way

by roland ⌂ @, Friday, July 11, 2014, 19:35 (3582 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I was poking around the background image of the DestinyTheGame website (as one tends to do) and spotted a lone latitude listing near the middle of the image:

[image]

"Something interesting!" I thought... but there was no longitude I could find. I poked around the Earth trying to find cities or countries even close to that lat... and nothing. My hopes of finding Puerto Princesa confirmation were dashed when I saw it was listed at: 09°44′N 118°44′E. But then I typed in the numbers just the right way and low and behold: Mösting Crater!

It's a 2.8Km deep hole in the moon's surface. Could this be the location of the Hive's Hellmouth?
[image] [image]

A bit more searching showed that this has been found elsewhere but I don't think it was ever mentioned here. Pretty neat. I love it when Destiny ties together the real world with its Mythic Scifi one. :)

Very cool! The Apollo 11 image of Mösting Crater that you can zoom in on and explore is really cool.

Explore Mosting Crater

Awesome. Like, completely awesome. :)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, July 11, 2014, 19:42 (3582 days ago) @ roland

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread