Defense of Destiny Multiplay (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, July 09, 2014, 20:11 (3587 days ago)

I realize Schooly D says Destiny Mp sucks, but I saw this video that argues the opposite, and he makes some good points. Discuss.

Defense of Destiny Multiplay

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, July 09, 2014, 20:27 (3587 days ago) @ Cody Miller

He made some interesting points. I like the idea that out maneuvering will be a good way to play. I'm a bit scared of the idea of everything being a good bit faster, especially once the even more advanced movement modes come online. It'll be interesting to see how it feels to me once I get to play it...

by Blue_Blazer_NZ, Wellington, New Zealand, Wednesday, July 09, 2014, 20:33 (3587 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I loved the Destiny multiplayer in the Alpha, I had a blast.
That video does have some good points too.

Note: I you want crap multiplayer - play BF4 for 10 minutes.

by Kalamari @, Waiting for Ghorn, FB, and BH, Wednesday, July 09, 2014, 21:13 (3587 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I don't know about this guy, it sounds like he doesn't really understand fps games. Movement has always been important. So is map knowledge. So is strategy. It's like this guy just had an epiphany about something that everyone else has known for years.

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Monday, July 14, 2014, 01:51 (3582 days ago) @ Kalamari

I don't know about this guy, it sounds like he doesn't really understand fps games. Movement has always been important. So is map knowledge. So is strategy. It's like this guy just had an epiphany about something that everyone else has known for years.

Yeah, I think Destiny multiplayer is doing new things and could be awesome, however I'm not sure how they forgot:

• Denial of area grenades have existed in many forms, one of my favorites, the GL from Reach
  • UT, Quake, Halo, TF, basically anything with "arena" multiplayer were big on positioning and movement
  • Damage mitigation... is an important part of a lot of non-COD style shooters

I'm not sure if his analysis is in the context of a specific set of successful console shooters, but this video really failed to describe why Destiny's multiplayer is special. Which is something I'm going to refuse to comment on too much until I play the XB1 beta with my mates.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, July 09, 2014, 22:15 (3587 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Schooly was just trolling.

I'm not a huge fan of competitive multiplayer, but I had a blast in the crucible, and was impressed by the way Bungie handled it all.

The game isn't as forgiving towards casuals as Titanfall, so I guess that would be why Schooly didn't like it.

by Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316) ⌂ @, Detroit, Thursday, July 10, 2014, 00:40 (3586 days ago) @ Korny

Schooly was just trolling.

I'm not a huge fan of competitive multiplayer, but I had a blast in the crucible, and was impressed by the way Bungie handled it all.

The game isn't as forgiving towards casuals as Titanfall, so I guess that would be why Schooly didn't like it.

Korny, if you're gonna try to enrage/troll people, you've got to be more subtle. This is way too obvious, Schooly's never gonna fall for it.

C'mon, you used to be good at this. :(

by yakaman, Thursday, July 10, 2014, 08:03 (3586 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I realize Schooly D says Destiny Mp sucks, but I saw this video that argues the opposite, and he makes some good points. Discuss.

I liked the info, and the video. Pretty reasonable. Some thoughts:

• Regarding all weapons and supers being very powerful: doesn't this emphasize "first seen, first dead"?
  • With the exception of grenade (map control tactics), how is this different from, say, Heavies in Halo?
  • It sounds as if team shooting is de-emphasized, while team tactics are (potentially) much more relevant.
  • Why wouldn't I camp somewhere and pick people off? If whatever I have kills people, why would I move?
  • Potentially sounds like 4 primary skill sets are important: shooting, positioning, tactics, agility. This may allow people that aren't great shooters other avenues of excelling.
  • The supremacy of tactics, shooting, and managing sounds like good players will leave others in the dust, very quickly. This will be great for the great, but rough for the lesser. In the short term, maybe not so bad. In the long term, large discrepancies between the great and the rest. Fine, except for the potential of finding balanced games as a random.
  • Room control and tactics have always been a Halo trait. Same goes for strafing and applying counters.
  • I expect my k/d to be about 1:5 when getting started. I anticipate dying quickly and often. I hate dying fast. My entire philosophy is to die hard. Does that mean I'll be fleeing around the map constantly? Will I be hiding?
  • Super weapons that kill quickly can actually reduce tactics: I may sneak up or otherwise flank someone, but they can always spam whatever doomsday weapon and null my advantage.
  • If all the weapons/supers are powerful and can overwhelm shields instantly, why even have shields? Is this not just SWAT with magic?

Obviously, waiting to see in the Beta.

by RC ⌂, UK, Thursday, July 10, 2014, 10:06 (3586 days ago) @ yakaman
edited by RC, Thursday, July 10, 2014, 10:11

[*] Why wouldn't I camp somewhere and pick people off? If whatever I have kills people, why would I move?

1. You'll run out of ammo - especially if by 'picking people off' you mean sniping. Snipers are specials and you'll run out. Auto or Scout Rifles won't have the range and power to give you any camp advantage.

2. The enemy will get the objectives.
In Control, you get 50 extra points per objective per kill. So if your opponents have all 3, they'd get 250 points a kill and you'd get 100. Think you can kill them more than 2.5x as much as they kill your team?

[*] If all the weapons/supers are powerful and can overwhelm shields instantly, why even have shields? Is this not just SWAT with magic?

Shields have no headshot bonus.

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Thursday, July 10, 2014, 10:09 (3586 days ago) @ yakaman

I'm making many of the same considerations. I'm hoping that loadouts/gear will affect my experience, because I don't have high hopes of a passable K/D for the first month or two, given the length of the average encounter.

I'd like to see Ward of Dawn in action in MP, and any of the Warlock's revival/recovery abilities. I think that's going to change things up considerably.

I want to Crucible with a team that leverages all possible synergies between classes.

That is going to be a recipe for a good time.

~m

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread