A short open letter to Bungie (Destiny)

by petetheduck, Saturday, July 12, 2014, 10:49 (3585 days ago)

I'm petetheduck and hi Bungie. In light of an unexpected surprise this morning, I wanted to say something.

In August 2000, PC Gamer Magazine had a demo disc that included a 10-minute, 150MB Halo movie. That was my first Bungie Moment, and--well, isn't that a little funny considering this week.

That Bungie Moment had me buy an Xbox for Halo, and--well, here we are. You've given me a decade of fantastic experiences, an incredible online community to participate in, a few digital brushings of shoulders, and so much more.

There is so much I could say about our time, but I think we can sum it up in that I was quickly made a Bungie fan that moment my Warthog exited what was clearly not a natural formation and I saw.. well, we all saw that, didn't we?

That feeling hasn't left me.

Thank you for the experiences you have created, and the experiences you are still in the process of creating. I am excited about Destiny. I am looking forward, trusting--knowing--that there are so many more Bungie Moments that I will have over the next decade.

On my Xbox One.

<3

Hear, Hear!!! Well said, Pete.

by GrimBrotherIII, Saturday, July 12, 2014, 11:06 (3585 days ago) @ petetheduck

- No text -

A short open letter to Bungie

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Saturday, July 12, 2014, 11:21 (3585 days ago) @ petetheduck

I'm petetheduck and hi Bungie. In light of an unexpected surprise this morning, I wanted to say something.

In August 2000, PC Gamer Magazine had a demo disc that included a 10-minute, 150MB Halo movie. That was my first Bungie Moment, and--well, isn't that a little funny considering this week.

That Bungie Moment had me buy an Xbox for Halo, and--well, here we are. You've given me a decade of fantastic experiences, an incredible online community to participate in, a few digital brushings of shoulders, and so much more.

There is so much I could say about our time, but I think we can sum it up in that I was quickly made a Bungie fan that moment my Warthog exited what was clearly not a natural formation and I saw.. well, we all saw that, didn't we?

That feeling hasn't left me.

Thank you for the experiences you have created, and the experiences you are still in the process of creating. I am excited about Destiny. I am looking forward, trusting--knowing--that there are so many more Bungie Moments that I will have over the next decade.

On my Xbox One.

<3

Translation: Bungie you guys are still awesome, but for serious guys, find a way to put Forge in Destiny and all will be forgiven. I'll wag my tail and quack and everything.

-----

You didn't need to type this up pete, we know. No doubt, Bungie knows it too. All said, its still pretty cool that you felt you needed to write this up anyway, just in case. Respect.

p.s. #MoreBungie

by petetheduck, Saturday, July 12, 2014, 11:45 (3585 days ago) @ petetheduck

It speaks to the current Xbox situation, and the situation that created the current Xbox situation.

If there is ever a question, the answer is always #MoreBungie.

by BlackCoffee_AU, Sunday, July 13, 2014, 05:53 (3584 days ago) @ petetheduck

Nice Pete, its good to see you at peace with the situation :)

Its an interesting point about buying a Xbox for Halo. I know a lot of people did, including my self. Would it be any different to buying a PS4 for Destiny? Obviously you dont have to in this situation as it is multi platform, but you have done so before happily, why not now?

P.s I know i dont know you very well (I've seen your post here for many years and read your articles on forging on 343), please dont think I'm having a go.

by petetheduck, Sunday, July 13, 2014, 06:23 (3584 days ago) @ BlackCoffee_AU

Nice Pete, its good to see you at peace with the situation :)

I wouldn't say I'm at peace with the situation, really--but everything expressed here is separate from the situation. With everything I've said over the past week, and where those words have found themselves, I wanted to clarify where I stand overall.

Its an interesting point about buying a Xbox for Halo. I know a lot of people did, including my self. Would it be any different to buying a PS4 for Destiny? Obviously you dont have to in this situation as it is multi platform, but you have done so before happily, why not now?

Because I was told I didn't need to, Playstation generally champions genres I'm not interested in, I'm still going to buy Halo games, and I actually really like Xbox features like the cable box pass-through and voice commands. And I don't have enough money.

#MoreBungie <3

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Monday, July 14, 2014, 10:10 (3583 days ago) @ petetheduck

Yeah, I love that the community is able to express disappointment about the proceedings without Bungie shutting down and ignoring us. I have always loved how they have owned whatever feedback they get and that they're as open as they're, I'm guessing, legally allowed to be.

As someone who never owned a PC, Bungie quickly became my favorite developer with both their support of Mac games and the amazing quality they shoved into every title. Myth took up most of my childhood and I'll never forget what it was like trying to launch molotovs with lightning with my brother.

When they moved to XBox with Halo my worries were slowly turned into excitement as I saw more and more of what they were accomplishing with Halo. By the time the XBox launched I was already back in the fold and came along for the ride.

I now have a group of friends on XBox Live who will become my fireteam in Destiny and I just made a group today to rally them under a single banner when we play the beta later this month. Aside from slight confusion about what is going on with the DLC (and some fun cleaning up linked accounts on Bungie.net), the only thing we're talking about is how we can't wait to explore Destiny together.

So erm yeah, what Pete said. And if anyone wants to add me on XB1, I'm KidTsunami.

Dear Deej/Bungie <3

[image]

#MoreBungie <3

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, July 14, 2014, 11:37 (3583 days ago) @ kidtsunami

Yeah, I love that the community is able to express disappointment about the proceedings without Bungie shutting down and ignoring us. I have always loved how they have owned whatever feedback they get and that they're as open as they're, I'm guessing, legally allowed to be.

As someone who never owned a PC, Bungie quickly became my favorite developer with both their support of Mac games and the amazing quality they shoved into every title. Myth took up most of my childhood and I'll never forget what it was like trying to launch molotovs with lightning with my brother.

When they moved to XBox with Halo my worries were slowly turned into excitement as I saw more and more of what they were accomplishing with Halo. By the time the XBox launched I was already back in the fold and came along for the ride.

I now have a group of friends on XBox Live who will become my fireteam in Destiny and I just made a group today to rally them under a single banner when we play the beta later this month. Aside from slight confusion about what is going on with the DLC (and some fun cleaning up linked accounts on Bungie.net), the only thing we're talking about is how we can't wait to explore Destiny together.

So erm yeah, what Pete said. And if anyone wants to add me on XB1, I'm KidTsunami.

Dear Deej/Bungie <3

[image]

Very nice, kidtsunami.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread