It's clear what this is about, right? (Destiny)

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Saturday, July 12, 2014, 16:06 (3585 days ago)

The whole PlayStation getting preferential treatment over Xbox thing, it's clear where that's coming from, right? I've seen some different reasons and theories given, but to me, the only thing that really makes sense, and makes a lot more sense than the alternatives, is money. Trying to stick it to Microsoft seems really petty and not really productive, and getting in good with PlayStation owners seems like it would maybe the reason for some of this, but not all of it, and regardless of the reason I'm sure they would've seen some of this backlash coming. Wanting more money might not seem like a better reason than those, especially considering the backlash, but it does more realistic and even reasonable, and the backlash doesn't seem like it'll actually do much.
Thinking about it now, I'm thinking it's probably mainly money and secondarily getting into the PS market... so, maybe it's not so clear, but it's far from unfathomable, and I can't think of any better reasons than money and getting more people open to them (which would also be mainly about money).
What do you guys think?

It's clear what this is about, right?

by kanbo @, Seattle, WA, Saturday, July 12, 2014, 16:10 (3585 days ago) @ General Vagueness

What do you guys think?

I think that anyone who thinks otherwise is kidding themselves.

It's clear what this is about, right?

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Saturday, July 12, 2014, 16:42 (3585 days ago) @ General Vagueness

Of course it's money, but stating that flatly makes it seem like J. Jones swung by the Ferrari dealership on his way home with suitcases of cash the day of the deal or something. This game costs of lot of money to make. Some part of the arrangement is surely quid pro quo. Sony agreed to market the hell out of it. Ryan McCaffrey from IGN hypothesized earlier this week that Bungie and/or Activision got the offer from Sony, sought a better offer from Microsoft and were rebuked. (Dammit, Microsoft, we've supported you for years, Bungie made your platform what it is, and you couldn't do what was necessary to keep Bungie in your camp?) It's unlikely that we'll ever know what went down.

Because I still believe Bungie's heart is in the right place, I think a big factor for them was choosing how best to increase the number of gamers who play their games. That's obviously a goal. They've said it over and over again.

Welcome to TITANFALL land.

by DEEP_NNN, Saturday, July 12, 2014, 20:01 (3584 days ago) @ Kermit

You've come to a 'World Obvious' conclusion.

MS paid big money to keep TITANFALL exclusive to Xbox and PC. Lots of PS owners were pissed about that. The situation with Sony/PS and Destiny is much more friendly to Xbox owners.

I see my glass being half full in this situation.

by Avateur @, Saturday, July 12, 2014, 20:06 (3584 days ago) @ DEEP_NNN

That's a really good point, actually. I never really thought of it like that because I don't really view it being available on PC as benefiting Microsoft, but I definitely can see why Sony people would be upset.

Frankly, if Bungie threw Destiny onto PC, I'd probably never purchase it for either console. I have a bunch of friends who are actually holding off from Xbox One or PS4 on the hope that Bungie will have a PC release within the next year or two after launch. They're willing to be patient on it since Bungie hasn't outright denied a PC version all together for some time in the future.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, July 12, 2014, 20:53 (3584 days ago) @ Avateur

Frankly, if Bungie threw Destiny onto PC, I'd probably never purchase it for either console. I have a bunch of friends who are actually holding off from Xbox One or PS4 on the hope that Bungie will have a PC release within the next year or two after launch. They're willing to be patient on it since Bungie hasn't outright denied a PC version all together for some time in the future.

The fact that new Bungie properties sell systems is only going to make the problem worse. When you hear stories like that, it's only more incentive to prop it up on your own platform.

If we are being honest, I wouldn't have gotten a PS4 until next year when the games I want for it start coming out, had it not been for the Alpha.

by Zeouterlimits, Ireland, Sunday, July 13, 2014, 01:05 (3584 days ago) @ Avateur

If were a patient and sensible man, I'd have waited for a PC version too.
But hard to resist being there day one for a Bungie title, especially a multiplayer focused one.

by Avateur @, Sunday, July 13, 2014, 01:25 (3584 days ago) @ Zeouterlimits

Agreed. I'll be getting it when it comes out. I don't have the patience that my friends do to wait for a non-guaranteed PC version. I would still really love a PC version somewhere down the line, though (especially if you could then port your console stats and things to your PC version).

by SonofMacPhisto @, Sunday, July 13, 2014, 14:29 (3584 days ago) @ Avateur

I'd decided I grab a XBONE, but the latest BS makes me want to declare "a pox on both your houses" and just hold out for a PC version.

Plus money.

I mean, what else am I going to play on XBONE? I've already got Titanfall.

Maybe it'll be 360 for me Destiny-wise. Glad I don't have to decide.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread