Destiny super-comparison vid requests? (Destiny)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Sunday, July 13, 2014, 14:08 (3584 days ago)

I may have access to all four versions of the Destiny Beta, and I plan to make a comparison video highlighting all of the versions and possible differences that may be inferred.

I plan to show:

Draw distances,
In-game models,
Loading speeds,
Resolution,
environmental textures,
and maybe audio...

Are there other specific things missing that people would want me to compare?

Yeah, this means I'll sully my hands with the inferior Xbox One version *shudder*

Destiny super-comparison vid requests?

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Sunday, July 13, 2014, 14:21 (3584 days ago) @ Korny
edited by Ragashingo, Sunday, July 13, 2014, 14:28

Lighting and shadows. In one of the IGN multiplayer videos they made a point to show that you could see someone sneaking up at a corner by their shadow being cast on a wall. I'll be interested how true that is of the 360...

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, July 13, 2014, 14:26 (3584 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Lighting and shadows. In one of the IGN multiplayer videos they made a point to show that you could see someone sneaking up in a corner by their shadow being cast in a wall. I'll be interested how true that is of the 360...

Shadows are REALLY cool in the PS4 version. Not sure why it wasn't mentioned in the ASE Vidcasts, but seeing huge shadows being cast by enemies you can't see is unnerving (in a good way).

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Sunday, July 13, 2014, 14:47 (3584 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Lighting and shadows. In one of the IGN multiplayer videos they made a point to show that you could see someone sneaking up in a corner by their shadow being cast in a wall. I'll be interested how true that is of the 360...

Shadows are REALLY cool in the PS4 version. Not sure why it wasn't mentioned in the ASE Vidcasts, but seeing huge shadows being cast by enemies you can't see is unnerving (in a good way).

Yeah, we noticed how in the back stairs of Point A (Rusted Lands), the shadow cast by the fallen light helped way more than the radar, and you could time a perfect grenade+melee combo before ever even seeing the enemy... And I used my shadow to my advantage when I had rocket ammo...

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Sunday, July 13, 2014, 14:36 (3584 days ago) @ Korny

I may have access to all four versions of the Destiny Beta, and I plan to make a comparison video highlighting all of the versions and possible differences that may be inferred.

I plan to show:

Draw distances,
In-game models,
Loading speeds,
Resolution,
environmental textures,
and maybe audio...

• Anti-aliasing
  • Effects

Yeah, this means I'll sully my hands with the inferior Xbox One version *shudder*

Well at least it will be an unbiased overview.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Sunday, July 13, 2014, 14:51 (3584 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Let me give you a preview.

[image]

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Sunday, July 13, 2014, 14:59 (3584 days ago) @ bluerunner

Let me give you a preview.

[image]

:P

Lol.

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Sunday, July 13, 2014, 15:25 (3584 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Was that one from the CoD: Ghosts reaction? There was a huge amount of back-and-forth between the PS4's drastically higher resolution and the XB1's framerate advantage.

Yep.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Sunday, July 13, 2014, 15:40 (3584 days ago) @ uberfoop

Its rare to see one that mocks both.

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Sunday, July 13, 2014, 15:42 (3584 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

[*]Effects

I'm extremely curious to see how large alpha-blended effects look on PS3. Destiny's engine supports very low-resolution transparency blending, but they're using some clever techniques when blending the transparency results back into the buffer to keep things from having horrible Gran Turismo 5* results when an opaque object is in front of a transparency.

The PS3 is the traditional "cannot do alpha blending worth shit" console, so...

*Sometiemes it seriously feels like that game is rendering at like 240p thanks to the implementation of lowres transparencies.

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Sunday, July 13, 2014, 15:01 (3584 days ago) @ Korny

Shadow resolution/anti-aliasing
Overall lighting

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Sunday, July 13, 2014, 15:38 (3584 days ago) @ ZackDark

Shadow resolution

That'll be an interesting one. As neat as the system was, the soft shadows that got cast in the alpha from interior area lights were pretty garbage; they seemed to have very low resolutions, and there was tons of dithering on the edges.

anti-aliasing

That might be an interesting one. The PS4 alpha was seemingly just using a cheapo FXAA pass and nothing else; the imagery wasn't as bad as I expected for post, but it's still a little underwhelming. Should be fun to see what all the platforms are doing in the beta.

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Sunday, July 13, 2014, 15:35 (3584 days ago) @ Korny

I plan to show:

Draw distances,
In-game models,
Loading speeds,
Resolution,
environmental textures,
and maybe audio...

RE: Resolution

If you want precise values and aren't sure about pixel-counting, Beyond3D has some great pixel detectives. Optimally, you'll want high-quality captures with long edges that are badly aliased and which are either near-horizontal (for counting pixels on the vertical axis) or near-vertical (for counting pixels on the horizontal axis).

Field of View

This will likely be the same between versions (PS4 was 72 degrees horizontally, both in first-person combat and in the tower), but it might still be interesting. If anyone wants to give me codes for the 360 and PS3 versions, I can measure this myself for them.

If I have a spare 360 code, it's yours, then

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Sunday, July 13, 2014, 15:53 (3584 days ago) @ uberfoop

- No text -

Thank you

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Monday, July 14, 2014, 07:47 (3583 days ago) @ Korny

Can you confirm that the Care Module is not found across platforms?

The great Destiny Beta pixel hunt begins!

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Thursday, July 17, 2014, 19:56 (3579 days ago) @ Korny

Shockingly, the PS4 version uses a higher resolution than the PS3 version.

http://beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1860744&postcount=4116
http://beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1860745&postcount=4117

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread