XBOX 360 Wireless Controller Receiver for PC (Off-Topic)

by SonofMacPhisto @, Monday, July 14, 2014, 15:33 (3575 days ago)

Hey gang - trying to set my spouse up with a good option here. Her current one has issues with Windows 7, which is strange because I've never had a problem with mine.

Does anyone have recommendations for a replacement?

Are you sure it is a software issue?

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Monday, July 14, 2014, 15:40 (3575 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

Mine died a few weeks back, but turned out to be a blown fuse inside. A quick blob of solder as shunt sprung it right back to life. Now I only have to be careful not to keep it plugged at all times, since it heats up if left idle.

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Monday, July 14, 2014, 15:47 (3575 days ago) @ ZackDark

Mine died a few weeks back, but turned out to be a blown fuse inside. A quick blob of solder as shunt sprung it right back to life.

I'm sure the fuse wasn't there for a reason.

Now I only have to be careful not to keep it plugged at all times, since it heats up if left idle.

:D

As long as the world continues to find ways to repurpose 360-related hardware as space heaters, everyone wins.

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Monday, July 14, 2014, 16:29 (3575 days ago) @ uberfoop

I'm sure the fuse wasn't there for a reason.

Over USB, I'm sure overcharge is rare enough to be a non-issue. Also, the fuse is insanely tiny, so my clumsy soldering has no chance at ever replacing it. Word is, it usually blows due to the common indirect heat from the rest of the circuit, instead of the current through it. AKA, blows for no reason.

As long as the world continues to find ways to repurpose 360-related hardware as space heaters, everyone wins.

Heh

by SonofMacPhisto @, Tuesday, July 15, 2014, 05:42 (3575 days ago) @ ZackDark

Mine died a few weeks back, but turned out to be a blown fuse inside. A quick blob of solder as shunt sprung it right back to life. Now I only have to be careful not to keep it plugged at all times, since it heats up if left idle.

Never would've thought of this. Thanks dude. We'll check. She's tried it in all the USB ports she has, and still has the problem surface after a time. Would that show it's not fuse related?

noobish Phisto is noobish ;)

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Tuesday, July 15, 2014, 06:03 (3575 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

Can you clarify what "the problem" is ? That might help further Funk Master Zack's debug efforts

by SonofMacPhisto @, Tuesday, July 15, 2014, 07:30 (3575 days ago) @ JDQuackers

Once the drivers and software and device are installed, everything works fine for a few days, and then all of a sudden the PC doesn't recognize the device is there, and/or the device simply will not connect with the 360 controller.

If everything is deleted and re-installed, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Tuesday, July 15, 2014, 08:41 (3574 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

Once the drivers and software and device are installed, everything works fine for a few days, and then all of a sudden the PC doesn't recognize the device is there, and/or the device simply will not connect with the 360 controller.

If everything is deleted and re-installed, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.

My best guess: Windows Update is installing a new driver that is incompatible with the specific hardware revision that yinz have. Otherwise, I guess it wouldn't hurt to go through the troubleshooting steps outlined here.

Have you ever looked in the Device Manager when it's suddenly not recognized to see what Windows "thinks" is there? That might give a clue. Or if it's not recognized and the green LED on the unit is not illuminated, then it might indicate not enough power on the USB port, or could still be a faulty fuse like Zachariah mentioned.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Tuesday, July 15, 2014, 10:41 (3574 days ago) @ JDQuackers

My best guess: Windows Update is installing a new driver that is incompatible with the specific hardware revision that yinz have. Otherwise, I guess it wouldn't hurt to go through the troubleshooting steps outlined here.

Have you ever looked in the Device Manager when it's suddenly not recognized to see what Windows "thinks" is there? That might give a clue. Or if it's not recognized and the green LED on the unit is not illuminated, then it might indicate not enough power on the USB port, or could still be a faulty fuse like Zachariah mentioned.

I'm pretty sure she's tried the troubleshooting link, but I will confirm. We'll look into the second idea, too.

CHEERS, MATE! /demoman

by LauraPalmer, Tuesday, July 15, 2014, 11:03 (3574 days ago) @ JDQuackers

The green light was always on, no matter what port I switched it to after installing it, it just wouldn't read. The time it would read was right when I plugged it in. Then it would work until I had to shut off the controller. When I would try to play again, it wouldn't connect and told me there were "known issues" with this type of hardware. Even going through the driver off of the Microsoft site I was told to download instead of using the disc.

Or, Occam's Razor, it was a POS when I got it.

Uh oh, the wife is here!

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Tuesday, July 15, 2014, 11:50 (3574 days ago) @ LauraPalmer

Quick, mod crew, delete all the embarrassing posts!

;p

^ Including that one.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Tuesday, July 15, 2014, 11:56 (3574 days ago) @ ZackDark

- No text -

Forget the posts! Hide the blackjack and hookers! *NM*

by SonofMacPhisto @, Tuesday, July 15, 2014, 19:26 (3574 days ago) @ ZackDark

Actually she's lurked since the days of Marathon.

Why?

by LauraPalmer, Tuesday, July 15, 2014, 19:29 (3574 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

Why are we hiding blackjack and hookers? I thoroughly enjoy both.

Why?

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Tuesday, July 15, 2014, 22:47 (3574 days ago) @ LauraPalmer

Why are we hiding blackjack and hookers? I thoroughly enjoy both.

I was just thinking "you marry this woman, you marry her" and then I was like "oh, right"
so, good call

XBOX 360 Wireless Controller Receiver for PC

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, July 15, 2014, 06:37 (3575 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

The Xbox One controller is very nice, and very compatible from what I've read. Just a thought.

XBOX 360 Wireless Controller Receiver for PC

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Tuesday, July 15, 2014, 06:40 (3575 days ago) @ Kermit

The Xbox One controller is very nice, and very compatible from what I've read. Just a thought.

yeah, Major Nelson posted windows drivers for the xbox one controller back in june.

Xbox 1 drivers for PC link

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Tuesday, July 15, 2014, 06:41 (3575 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

UPDATE

by SonofMacPhisto @, Tuesday, July 15, 2014, 10:50 (3574 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

Thanks for the info, people. She's tried and checked everything here previously, multiple times, to no avail. At least we know for certain now. Going to give the wired controller from Microsoft a shot.

<3

UPDATE

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, July 15, 2014, 10:53 (3574 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

This reminds me. One of the great things about the new Xbox One controller is that it truly is a wired controller when it's plugged in.

UPDATE

by LauraPalmer, Tuesday, July 15, 2014, 10:55 (3574 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

I've done all the troubleshooting. Don't use the disc it came with, all the Win7 compatibility jargon.

When it comes to fuses, I rarely keep it plugged in (because most of the time I end up getting mad and unplugging it safety).

Thanks, though, for your answers. I just got the wired controller from Microsoft and decided to call it a day, so we'll see if that works.

UPDATE

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Tuesday, July 15, 2014, 10:57 (3574 days ago) @ LauraPalmer

FWIW, I use the wired Xbox 360 controller and it's fantastic.

UPDATE

by LauraPalmer, Tuesday, July 15, 2014, 10:59 (3574 days ago) @ JDQuackers

The one I got was Wired 360 Controller for Windows (or some long fancy title like such). Even so, couldn't I just have used a wired controller for 360? Or is there some super secret special thing that Microsoft knows that I don't. I mean, all I'm using it for is Steam anyway (since now my XBOX tray won't open on the first try. Or second. Or third...)

UPDATE

by marmot 1333 @, Tuesday, July 15, 2014, 11:14 (3574 days ago) @ LauraPalmer

Yeah, the normal wired 360 controllers work with windows out of the box. I have two of them.

UPDATE

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Tuesday, July 15, 2014, 12:10 (3574 days ago) @ marmot 1333

Yeah, as he said--they both work. In fact, I'm fairly certain that it's the exact same device, just packaged differently and the "for Windows" flavor might also come with an install disk.

I bought an old used wired 360 controller from Gamestop for about $8 and it worked well until one of the triggers stopped responding. Bought the "for Windows" version afterwards and it's all the same to me. Haven't seen any difference whatsoever.

UPDATE

by LauraPalmer, Tuesday, July 15, 2014, 18:24 (3574 days ago) @ JDQuackers

Is it just me, or does the one that says for Windows look a bit different? Or is it just because I'm used to the wireless? I'm new to computer gaming, so I wasn't sure if the 360 wired controller was going to work with Steam. Nevermind the fact they both use USB ports.

I'm embarrassed for myself and for my family.

UPDATE

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Wednesday, July 16, 2014, 09:21 (3573 days ago) @ LauraPalmer

Is it just me, or does the one that says for Windows look a bit different? Or is it just because I'm used to the wireless? I'm new to computer gaming, so I wasn't sure if the 360 wired controller was going to work with Steam. Nevermind the fact they both use USB ports.

I'm embarrassed for myself and for my family.

I don't think there's any difference between the wired/wired for Windows versions. There is definitely a difference between the wireless and wired 360 controllers though (since the wired doesn't have the battery hump on the rear or the "connect" button up top).

The wired 360 controller works fantastically well with many PC games, not just the ones purchased through Steam! I use mine heavily. I just recently started playing LEGO Marvel Super Heroes with it

UPDATE

by LauraPalmer, Wednesday, July 16, 2014, 12:00 (3573 days ago) @ JDQuackers

So then maybe it's that I'm not used to wired controllers. And I can use them in games that aren't through Steam? Huh. I never knew that. (The more you know).

Thanks!

Yeah

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Wednesday, July 16, 2014, 12:41 (3573 days ago) @ LauraPalmer

I use it to play on my N64 emulator, for instance.

Doing the spin-attack on Zelda has never been so easy

Yeah

by LauraPalmer, Wednesday, July 16, 2014, 13:23 (3573 days ago) @ ZackDark

I mostly want to use it for Fallout New Vegas through Steam. It runs so much better on PC than Xbox.

So pretty much all the things are all the same except the connect button?

You can fiddle it in the Control Settings, I think, but yeah

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Wednesday, July 16, 2014, 13:23 (3573 days ago) @ LauraPalmer

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread