Bungie.net has been updated (Destiny)

by Avateur @, Tuesday, July 15, 2014, 20:24 (3581 days ago)

- No text -

iOS App as well!

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, July 15, 2014, 20:44 (3581 days ago) @ Avateur

- No text -

Not available in the US just yet.

by UnrealCh13f @, San Luis Obispo, CA, Tuesday, July 15, 2014, 21:02 (3581 days ago) @ Xenos

- No text -

Uh... I live in the US...

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, July 15, 2014, 21:04 (3581 days ago) @ UnrealCh13f

All iOS apps roll out over time though, so some should be able to see it now.

Yup. Got it now.

by UnrealCh13f @, San Luis Obispo, CA, Tuesday, July 15, 2014, 21:56 (3581 days ago) @ Xenos

Took me a while to see it.

What does this mean?

by kapowaz, Wednesday, July 16, 2014, 04:28 (3581 days ago) @ Xenos

[image]

But it says right there at the top that I'm signed in as kapowaz. Very confusing.

What does this mean?

by Zeouterlimits, Ireland, Wednesday, July 16, 2014, 04:48 (3581 days ago) @ kapowaz

Yeah, it's not a good "error" message.
I believe it means you haven't linked a Destiny guardian yet.

What does this mean?

by kapowaz, Wednesday, July 16, 2014, 05:01 (3581 days ago) @ Zeouterlimits

Yeah, it's not a good "error" message.
I believe it means you haven't linked a Destiny guardian yet.

That was my guess too, but ‘Account’ seems like a very different thing from a character… I've linked my PSN and XBL accounts to Bungie.net, so surely this means they have all the info they need to poll whether or not I have any Destiny characters? In any case it's a pretty confusing error message.

It's so pretty...

by Velociraptor112, Places., Tuesday, July 15, 2014, 20:53 (3581 days ago) @ Avateur

- No text -

No love for Android yet?

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Tuesday, July 15, 2014, 21:24 (3581 days ago) @ Avateur

- No text -

Nope

by Phoenix_9286 @, Tuesday, July 15, 2014, 21:33 (3581 days ago) @ ZackDark

You aren't missing much just yet. Snagged it for my iPod, basically entirely useless until you've got the Beta. I mean, yeah, you're missing tapping a bunch of new buttons, but they all tell you they can't find a linked profile on Bnet, and so there's no content to actually see.

Nope

by Mr Danger, Scotland, Wednesday, July 16, 2014, 02:00 (3581 days ago) @ Phoenix_9286

If you go to someone who has friends and family access, like Deej who is currently a level 5 warlock for example, you can see their stats and 3D renders of their guardian and individual gear in the app. I'm quite impressed with how smooth it is at rendering the models.

Edit: You can also look at and read any grimoire cards they have unlocked...that will be handy for lazy people who are also into the story and lore haha.

Names of Stories in the Beta

by BeingU, Wednesday, July 16, 2014, 02:23 (3581 days ago) @ Mr Danger

These are the names of Deej's recently played Story missions:

The Last Array
The Warmind
The Dark Within
Restoration
A Guardian Rises

All take place in Old Russia.

Names of Stories in the Beta

by Mr Danger, Scotland, Wednesday, July 16, 2014, 02:40 (3581 days ago) @ BeingU

These are the names of Deej's recently played Story missions:

The Last Array
The Warmind
The Dark Within
Restoration
A Guardian Rises

All take place in Old Russia.

I assume these are in reverse order, i.e. A guardian rises must be the opening mission.

No love for Android yet?

by Mr Danger, Scotland, Wednesday, July 16, 2014, 01:24 (3581 days ago) @ ZackDark
edited by Mr Danger, Wednesday, July 16, 2014, 01:33

My android app is now updated. Its lovely. it has everything the old app had, but with Grimoire and Tower map tabs added. Also there's the ability to turn 3D model downloads on or off, or restrict them to wifi only.

There are now data settings too that refer to "Asset database" and "World Database". I assume these are there to allow bungie to update the game gear and maps in destiny itself which the app will also read to keep the game and the app in sync. Very cool.

I've had a few log in problems but its early days yet...

I can tell I am going to spend way too much time on this app as I always loved the stats on bungie.net.

Still fairly messy for my tastes :/

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Tuesday, July 15, 2014, 21:49 (3581 days ago) @ Avateur

- No text -

Indeed it has! And feedback

by Zero @, Florida, Tuesday, July 15, 2014, 22:10 (3581 days ago) @ Avateur

Some clan functionality has also been introduced from the looks of it. To what extent, I'm not sure, but when you make your group a clan, there's an icon that appears on the right hand side of the banner that looks like a clan emblem.

Onto the site however... I'm not entirely in love with the thing unfortunately. It defiantly looks better overall, but I'm not sure I like the profile page. For starters, it seems like there's a lot of empty space on an over sized version of the previous banners and when you scroll through the page up and down, the banner doesn't scroll at the same rate as the rest of the page and in doing so, when you scroll down far enough, it starts covering up elements in the banner.

Other than that, I can't really see, the site is having a fairly hard time accessing profile pages. Which brings up another point that the error text is dark on a dark background. Don't get me wrong though, I do love the new look, just needs a few more tweaks.

Indeed it has! And feedback

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Wednesday, July 16, 2014, 01:18 (3581 days ago) @ Zero

Just seems broken to me. Haven't been able to login all day.

Clans…

by kapowaz, Wednesday, July 16, 2014, 04:08 (3581 days ago) @ Zero

…share their namespace with groups, meaning that if you want to create a Destiny clan, you must either be the owner of a group with that name, or choose a name that doesn't already conflict with an existing group. Unsurprisingly this means that a lot of good names are already taken. I wanted to create a ‘HellJumpers’ clan to reprise my original Halo clan, but a group with this name has apparently been kicking about on bungie.net for the past 7 years (I wouldn't have known, because 7 years ago bungie.net was a horrible place with all the trolls and childish gamers). Shame.

Pop quiz

by kapowaz, Wednesday, July 16, 2014, 04:45 (3581 days ago) @ kapowaz

[image]

What does ‘Set as PlayStation Clan’ mean?

is it:

• Sets the clan to be only available to Destiny players on ‘PlayStation’ (PS3? PS4?)
  • Join this clan!

(Bonus points for using the hamburger menu icon to mean… I'm not sure what, exactly. Generic ‘action’, I guess?)

If it means the same as in the Alpha...

by RC ⌂, UK, Wednesday, July 16, 2014, 05:43 (3581 days ago) @ kapowaz

[image]

is it:

• Sets the clan to be only available to Destiny players on ‘PlayStation’ (PS3? PS4?)
  • Join this clan!

Then that group name will appear underneath your PSNID on your 'card' and you will be able to access the member list and see who is online from within Destiny.

If it means the same as in the Alpha...

by kapowaz, Wednesday, July 16, 2014, 06:04 (3581 days ago) @ RC
edited by kapowaz, Wednesday, July 16, 2014, 06:32

Then that group name will appear underneath your PSNID on your 'card' and you will be able to access the member list and see who is online from within Destiny.

Nah, it's the second one: join this clan.

Edit: well I suppose they're not mutually exclusive.

Pop quiz

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Wednesday, July 16, 2014, 16:38 (3580 days ago) @ kapowaz

[image]

is it:

• Join this clan!

(Bonus points for using the hamburger menu icon to mean… I'm not sure what, exactly. Generic ‘action’, I guess?)

The triple-bars thing is usually sort of a generic icon for opening menus, it's sprung up in the last year or so, mainly thanks to Google.

Pop quiz

by kapowaz, Wednesday, July 16, 2014, 16:47 (3580 days ago) @ General Vagueness

The triple-bars thing is usually sort of a generic icon for opening menus, it's sprung up in the last year or so, mainly thanks to Google.

Yeah… otherwise known as a ‘hamburger menu’. Which is why I said ‘hamburger menu’ above. But using it on multiple buttons is a new one for me.

For me, too.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, July 16, 2014, 17:07 (3580 days ago) @ kapowaz

- No text -

Clans…

by Zeouterlimits, Ireland, Wednesday, July 16, 2014, 04:47 (3581 days ago) @ kapowaz

I wouldn't have known, because 7 years ago bungie.net was a horrible place with all the trolls and childish gamers

Sure ain't that now.

They've taken special effort to make it mobile-friendly

by kapowaz, Wednesday, July 16, 2014, 04:05 (3581 days ago) @ Avateur

[image]

lol

by Yapok @, Wednesday, July 16, 2014, 04:10 (3581 days ago) @ kapowaz

- No text -

Pardon their dust

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Wednesday, July 16, 2014, 04:12 (3581 days ago) @ kapowaz

They've also broken a lot of links:

Search Results beget broken links

Though it's easy to see how they've done their routes now. I'm loving the cleaner URL format.

Pardon their dust

by kapowaz, Wednesday, July 16, 2014, 04:34 (3581 days ago) @ kidtsunami

They've also broken a lot of links:

It wouldn't be a bungie.net relaunch without every single old URL breaking, would it?

JavaScript

by kapowaz, Wednesday, July 16, 2014, 04:55 (3581 days ago) @ kidtsunami
edited by kapowaz, Wednesday, July 16, 2014, 04:59

“Progressive enhancement? We've heard of it.”

[image]

Before people reply asking ‘Who has JavaScript disabled these days, anyway?’ I should like to point to this research by GOV.UK that indicates that the majority of people who don't get JavaScript aren't getting it because they've explicitly disabled it, but because of a number of other issues that are out of the user's hands. In short: explicitly making JavaScript a requirement for your site is a sure way of slamming the door in the face of a small number of your site's visitors.

Doesn't look bad. Better than the last update, imo.

by Atsumi ⌂, Jefferson City, MO, Wednesday, July 16, 2014, 05:43 (3581 days ago) @ Avateur

- No text -

There's nowhere to park my cursor!

by tarehart, Seattle, Wednesday, July 16, 2014, 08:09 (3581 days ago) @ Avateur

I'm in the habit of clicking inside browser windows to focus them, and then leaving the cursor somewhere inert, i.e. not over a button or a link. The vast majority of the bungie.net homepage can be clicked or interacted with in some way, and I can't find a decent place to park. It seems like there's this philosophy where every single thing needs to be a "call to action" like you see on crappy movie promo sites that get visited exactly once.

Bungie could learn a thing or two from the DBO front page.

There's nowhere to park my cursor!

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, July 16, 2014, 08:20 (3581 days ago) @ tarehart

Bungie could learn a thing or two from the DBO front page.

Wait, the DBO front page IS the Bungie front page isn't it?

No, we just have a non-compete agreement

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Wednesday, July 16, 2014, 08:35 (3581 days ago) @ Xenos

- No text -

Some Neat Things

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, July 16, 2014, 09:25 (3581 days ago) @ Avateur

1. As mentioned, you can look up people already playing (like Deej) and see all their armor and gear and stats. I find this cooler than I thought I would. You can see the names of the Grimoire cards they've unlocked but it's not letting me read them. No free story for lazy people after all?

2. The search isn't just searching for users, it's searching Bungie.net articles as well. Ever been mentioned in a weekly update? Or trying to find all the weekly updates "hellmouth" has been listed in? It's pretty easy now.

3. I'm a bit confused about the Linked Accounts section. For some it's listing Playstation accounts, for others I've seen Xbox accounts... for me it's listing Facebook. I do have a facebook account linked right now, but also an Xbox live account. Why isn't it listing both?

All in all it's fact and flows very well. Great job web / app team! :)

Some Neat Things

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, July 16, 2014, 09:33 (3581 days ago) @ Ragashingo

1. As mentioned, you can look up people already playing (like Deej) and see all their armor and gear and stats. I find this cooler than I thought I would. You can see the names of the Grimoire cards they've unlocked but it's not letting me read them. No free story for lazy people after all?

I noticed the Locations section mentions Mercury, Saturn, and Jupiter. I think we can confirm these will be locations to visit in the final game, something which people have wondered.

3. I'm a bit confused about the Linked Accounts section. For some it's listing Playstation accounts, for others I've seen Xbox accounts... for me it's listing Facebook. I do have a facebook account linked right now, but also an Xbox live account. Why isn't it listing both?

Try logging out and logging in using your Microsoft account. For me if I log in with PSN it shows Xbox and Facebook as well, but it seems it's somewhat inconsistent for other people.

Android App keeps crashing on me :-(

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Wednesday, July 16, 2014, 09:51 (3581 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I guess that's what I get for rolling with the developer Android L release. Bah humbug.

When I do just about anything in the app (search, enter a group page or a specific forum) it just says "Unfortunately, Destiny has stopped" and dies. Blargh

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread