Clans and alliances (Destiny)

by Schooly D, TSD Gaming Condo, TX, Wednesday, July 16, 2014, 12:35 (3581 days ago)

What's the point?

What does being in a clan let you do? What does being in an alliance let you do? Have we gotten an answer to this?

You can set any group you're in to be your clan (if that functionality is enabled), right? So if I'm in five groups, I can switch which of them is my clan with one click whenever I want?

Clans and alliances

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, July 16, 2014, 13:12 (3580 days ago) @ Schooly D

What's the point?

What does being in a clan let you do? What does being in an alliance let you do? Have we gotten an answer to this?

You can set any group you're in to be your clan (if that functionality is enabled), right? So if I'm in five groups, I can switch which of them is my clan with one click whenever I want?

I'm not sure if a clan can be converted back into a group, so if you switch one, I don't think you can switch another unless you leave the clan you're in.

That's assuming, of course, that you're limited to one clan, and according to the bungie.net forums, you're a dumb-ass if you think it's possible to be in two clans at once.

Clans and alliances

by Schooly D, TSD Gaming Condo, TX, Wednesday, July 16, 2014, 13:21 (3580 days ago) @ Kermit

I'm not sure if a clan can be converted back into a group, so if you switch one, I don't think you can switch another unless you leave the clan you're in.

Right, but this is my point. Apparently you can be in many groups, but you can designate only one of those groups at a time to be your clan. However, it seems to be trivial to switch clans--just one mouse click: "Set as my PSN/XBL clan" on the group page.

So, imagine a situation where you're a member of 10 groups (that have clan functionality enabled). Also imagine that you gain certain benefits from being in a clan, whatever they are. In theory you could keep b.net open and continually switch between the 10 groups/clans at-will, using them as necessary (maybe requiring a logout/in from the game for the clan change to take effect). This is how it would work, no?

Clans and alliances

by bluerunner @, Music City, Wednesday, July 16, 2014, 13:25 (3580 days ago) @ Schooly D

I suppose it would be useful if it prioritized clan membership when matching people in public areas. You could use it to link up with other clan members in the Tower who might not be on your friends list.

Clans and alliances

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Thursday, July 17, 2014, 06:21 (3580 days ago) @ bluerunner

I suppose it would be useful if it prioritized clan membership when matching people in public areas. You could use it to link up with other clan members in the Tower who might not be on your friends list.

This would be useful. My thinking has been that Clans are a thing that can group people across platforms. Especially if folks are going to be fluidly moving between Sony/MS consoles, Clans would grant some cohesion to social groups.

Stat tracking and unlockables for such would be really neat. Or say, a unique reskin of class armor for the members of your Clan that achieve some Legendary feat. That alone would provide incentive for Clan members to help each other along. Rites of passage, and all that.

~m

Clans and alliances

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Thursday, July 17, 2014, 08:17 (3580 days ago) @ Malagate

When creating a clan I noticed a message about having at least 4 people to activate some kind of achievements or something. Anyone have any ideas what that is about?

There are clan achievements

by RC ⌂, UK, Thursday, July 17, 2014, 09:04 (3580 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

Raiding Party - 30G - Complete a raid with a full fireteam consisting of only your clan members.
Strength of the Pack - 20G - Complete a Strike with a full fireteam consisting of only your clan members.

Clans and alliances

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, July 16, 2014, 14:44 (3580 days ago) @ Schooly D

Right, but this is my point. Apparently you can be in many groups, but you can designate only one of those groups at a time to be your clan. However, it seems to be trivial to switch clans--just one mouse click: "Set as my PSN/XBL clan" on the group page.

The question I have on this is can I have one clan period, or one clan per platform?

Clans and alliances

by TTL Demag0gue ⌂ @, Within the shadow of the Traveler, Wednesday, July 16, 2014, 13:23 (3580 days ago) @ Schooly D

What's the point?

Networking -- and an easy way to organize a fireteam from a pool of people you trust to have your back (provided you don't already have an off-b.net way of doing so). Because sometimes it's better to schedule a fireteam in a discussion board rather than waiting to see who in your list happens to be online whenever you get on to play. Also, lets you display which clan you're affiliated with, if you want.

If you're looking for in-game benefits beyond that, then you may need to readjust your expectations. The whole point of a clan is having trusting allies to call on. An alliance merely extends that relationship.

Clans and alliances

by Avateur @, Wednesday, July 16, 2014, 13:41 (3580 days ago) @ TTL Demag0gue
edited by Avateur, Wednesday, July 16, 2014, 13:47

Networking -- and an easy way to organize a fireteam from a pool of people you trust to have your back (provided you don't already have an off-b.net way of doing so). Because sometimes it's better to schedule a fireteam in a discussion board rather than waiting to see who in your list happens to be online whenever you get on to play. Also, lets you display which clan you're affiliated with, if you want.

If you're looking for in-game benefits beyond that, then you may need to readjust your expectations. The whole point of a clan is having trusting allies to call on. An alliance merely extends that relationship.

This is really good to know. I've had some confusions about this whole thing, especially as it pertains to the overall alliance aspect. Thanks!

Clans and alliances

by SigbiasSilva @, West Midlands, England, Wednesday, July 16, 2014, 13:28 (3580 days ago) @ Schooly D

What's the point?

I think they're simply organisation tools, and their usefulness will differ from group to group or community to community.

I really like the idea of being able to focus a community down to the needs of smaller groups of players, while still having a large overarching unity of the alliance. Players can easily meet other people who are looking for competitive or casual play, players from certain timezones, parent gamers who also have to whisper, or other people on their console of choice. And it could all still be under one alliance, like DBO, for example.

Clans and alliances

by kapowaz, Wednesday, July 16, 2014, 14:48 (3580 days ago) @ Schooly D

All will be revealed eventually. It's all part of the great mystery that remains to be unwrapped that is Destiny. And the day of that great unwrapping ceremony is fast approaching, Guardians!

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread