So, about the dancing... (Destiny)

by GrimBrotherIII, Thursday, July 17, 2014, 08:54 (3571 days ago)
edited by GrimBrotherIII, Thursday, July 17, 2014, 09:00

So this might sound a little crazy... and might even come across as a bit of a killjoy - or dare i say - party-poopery? But i just have to get it off my chest...

I DO NOT LIKE THE DANCING.

AT ALL.

Hear me out - i get that it's silly, and fun, and jovial, and it's an MMO thing and blah blah blah... It's just that it simply does not make ANY sense to me, for Destiny - And i'll tell you why: Throughout the long hype-building journey leading up to this incredible new IP the team at Bungie (imo) have done an incredible job of trying to create an incredibly IMMERSIVE, engaging, next-gen SciFi gaming experience for players, and have set a beautifully epic and serious tone for the overall feel of the world...

And for me, "Obligatory Tower Dance Parties" just really ruin all that - for example: When my Guardian returns to the Tower from an arduous trek through the perilous destinations of the alien-infested planets of our solar system - weary from battle, clutching grand treasures from the golden age that he acquired on his journey in his blood-soaked gauntlets, only to be greeted at the Last Safe City by a bunch of rainbow-faced idiots gyrating in a big rave circle on top of the Vanguard's long table... I have to admit I'm kinda pissed because immersion just kinda went out the window for me...

Needless to say, i will be attempting to engage in much more mature Tower activities, such as looking for the finest shaders for my Wears and Armaments, browsing the most menacing looking LMGs, and Deej-style slow-walking with the Grim Brotherhood down to the shipyard to peruse new Flux Capacitors for my Starship.

But i want to know how YOU, my beloved DBO community feel about dancing in Destiny... do you worry that it will break immersion for you and taint the overall feel of the game? Or are you already loading up the Vanilla Ice A-Track in preparation for the imminent rug-cutting your Guardian will be partaking in as soon as your bedazzled boots hit the ground?

As always, i love you all. Even you, Cody.

- III

So, about the dancing...

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, July 17, 2014, 08:59 (3571 days ago) @ GrimBrotherIII
edited by Xenos, Thursday, July 17, 2014, 09:07

Dancing is better than teabagging.

When someone would kill me in some impressive way in the Crucible I did not once see anyone teabag me, because they would dance instead. If dancing does nothing else I am happy dancing is in the game.

So, about the dancing...

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Friday, July 18, 2014, 12:05 (3569 days ago) @ Xenos

Dancing is better than teabagging.

When someone would kill me in some impressive way in the Crucible I did not once see anyone teabag me, because they would dance instead. If dancing does nothing else I am happy dancing is in the game.

Going along with this, without dancing or something like it, a lot of people would use crouching, jumping, pointing, waving, whatever's available to look more lively (which I might actually prefer, if there were enough different things, but outright dancing is fine, and the variety of dances is cool).

What he said.

by GrimBrother IV, Thursday, July 17, 2014, 08:59 (3571 days ago) @ GrimBrotherIII

- No text -

It does serve a story purpose.

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Thursday, July 17, 2014, 09:03 (3571 days ago) @ GrimBrotherIII

Final boss is stunned by your funky dance moves.

Clever.

by GrimBrotherIII, Thursday, July 17, 2014, 09:17 (3571 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

- No text -

It's in the water duuude

by Zeouterlimits, Ireland, Thursday, July 17, 2014, 09:04 (3571 days ago) @ GrimBrotherIII

Similar to what Xenos was saying about tea-bagging.
We're not exactly role playing, or rather role playing it not required.
As soon as the ability to see other actual players is introduced, the enablement for non "in-fiction" guardian behaviour is there.

And what if dance, the truest expression of love* is in some alpha-wave that the Traveller is emitting subconsciously across the cosmos... calling us all.

*[therefore I am incapable of love]

So, about the dancing...

by Tex @, Thursday, July 17, 2014, 09:06 (3571 days ago) @ GrimBrotherIII

You must have been a fun prom date.

HAHA!!

by GrimBrotherIII, Thursday, July 17, 2014, 09:16 (3571 days ago) @ Tex

You must have been a fun prom date.

Not sure what that has to do with Destiny, but... i did end up marrying the girl i took to Prom, so, i guess i wasn't all that bad... :D

So, about the dancing...

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Thursday, July 17, 2014, 09:07 (3571 days ago) @ GrimBrotherIII

immersion just kinda went out the window for me...

What's not immersive about people dancing?

Literally everything.

by GrimBrotherIII, Thursday, July 17, 2014, 09:16 (3571 days ago) @ uberfoop

- No text -

At least we dance better than Cmdr Shepard

by rhubarb, Thursday, July 17, 2014, 11:23 (3570 days ago) @ GrimBrotherIII

- No text -

I have been known to pull a shepard on the dance floor

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Thursday, July 17, 2014, 11:37 (3570 days ago) @ rhubarb

- No text -

HAH! This is true...

by GrimBrotherIII, Thursday, July 17, 2014, 11:53 (3570 days ago) @ rhubarb

- No text -

I can't even believe we have two threads about this now

by kanbo @, Seattle, WA, Thursday, July 17, 2014, 09:07 (3571 days ago) @ GrimBrotherIII

- No text -

Welcome to the world of tomorrow!

by ncsuDuncan @, Thursday, July 17, 2014, 09:15 (3571 days ago) @ GrimBrotherIII

[image]

Welcome to the world of tomorrow!

by GrimBrotherIII, Thursday, July 17, 2014, 09:17 (3571 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

I think i have created a monster here...

Love it

by scarab @, Thursday, July 17, 2014, 09:31 (3571 days ago) @ GrimBrotherIII

- No text -

Let me play you the song of my people...

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Thursday, July 17, 2014, 09:34 (3571 days ago) @ GrimBrotherIII

And so then; the enemy danced.

[image]

So, about the dancing...

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Thursday, July 17, 2014, 09:35 (3571 days ago) @ GrimBrotherIII

I'm sure this will calm down once the real game is out and the "honeymoon" period has worn off. I'm sure you'll still find the occasional dancer, but I think it will probably peak during the first week of the final release and then fizzle out until it becomes more rare (hopefully).

Thank you for your educated, serious answer. lol

by GrimBrotherIII, Thursday, July 17, 2014, 10:02 (3571 days ago) @ JDQuackers

- No text -

Uhhh, you forget I'll be with DBO for the long run.

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Thursday, July 17, 2014, 10:47 (3570 days ago) @ JDQuackers

- No text -

So, about the dancing...

by kapowaz, Thursday, July 17, 2014, 09:51 (3571 days ago) @ GrimBrotherIII

MMOs are far less compelling and able to sell their fictional narrative if, when in the shared ‘safe’ space, people can only mill about aimlessly and not interact in any fun ways. Dance is one way of selling that setting by giving people stuff to do. It's also a nice change of pace from the combat that happens elsewhere. I may not be rushing to dance myself, but hey, it takes all sorts, right?

I feel you.

by GrimBrotherIII, Thursday, July 17, 2014, 10:04 (3570 days ago) @ kapowaz

- No text -

DBO: The Bomont of the Golden Age

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Thursday, July 17, 2014, 10:28 (3570 days ago) @ GrimBrotherIII

- No text -

So, about the dancing...

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, July 17, 2014, 12:05 (3570 days ago) @ GrimBrotherIII

Warriors dance, my friend.

[image]

So, about the dancing...

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Thursday, July 17, 2014, 13:32 (3570 days ago) @ GrimBrotherIII

And for me, "Obligatory Tower Dance Parties" just really ruin all that - for example: When my Guardian returns to the Tower from an arduous trek through the perilous destinations of the alien-infested planets of our solar system - weary from battle, clutching grand treasures from the golden age that he acquired on his journey in his blood-soaked gauntlets, only to be greeted at the Last Safe City by a bunch of rainbow-faced idiots gyrating in a big rave circle on top of the Vanguard's long table... I have to admit I'm kinda pissed because immersion just kinda went out the window for me...

You're forced into third-person in the Tower, the immersion should go out the window.

So, about the dancing...

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Thursday, July 17, 2014, 15:14 (3570 days ago) @ General Vagueness

You're forced into third-person in the Tower, the immersion should go out the window.

No, that's totally the in-universe experience of the Guardians. In the Tower, your ghost rips your soul out of your body and dangles it a few feet away.

That's it. I'm naming my Ghost "Lakitu"

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, July 17, 2014, 21:29 (3570 days ago) @ uberfoop

- No text -

So, about the dancing...

by Stephen Laughlin ⌂ @, Long Beach, CA, Thursday, July 17, 2014, 14:27 (3570 days ago) @ GrimBrotherIII

There should be a mission that is literally the plot of Footloose. That would solve any immersion problems.

God help us all.

by GrimBrotherIII, Thursday, July 17, 2014, 18:36 (3570 days ago) @ Stephen Laughlin

- No text -

I think Bungie heard you

by petetheduck, Friday, July 18, 2014, 12:22 (3569 days ago) @ GrimBrotherIII

This being on the front page made this thread so much better.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread