Unable to connect to PSN℠ (Destiny)

by kapowaz, Thursday, July 17, 2014, 10:17 (3580 days ago)

After pressing X to play, I get this message every single time, after about 20 seconds of the CONNECTING logo in the bottom right:

Unable to connect to PSN℠. Please check your network connection and PSN status.

Anyone else getting this?

Unable to connect to PSN℠

by HavokBlue, California, Thursday, July 17, 2014, 10:25 (3580 days ago) @ kapowaz

PSN is currently undergoing some issues due to some totally unforeseen traffic this morning :)

Unforeseen my ass.

by kapowaz, Thursday, July 17, 2014, 10:29 (3580 days ago) @ HavokBlue

Amateur hour. It's like the Diablo III launch all over again.

Unforeseen my ass.

by HavokBlue, California, Thursday, July 17, 2014, 10:31 (3580 days ago) @ kapowaz

I think there's a rule somewhere that says server capacity is inversely proportional the the amount of people you expect to have accessing the server simultaneously.

Unforeseen my ass.

by kapowaz, Thursday, July 17, 2014, 10:35 (3580 days ago) @ HavokBlue

I think there's a rule somewhere that says server capacity is inversely proportional the the amount of people you expect to have accessing the server simultaneously.

There's also a rule that says whoever is in charge of infrastructure shrugs their shoulders, waves their hand and says “Ah, it'll be fine!”.

They've known how many people pre-ordered. They know how many people have redeemed a beta code, because in order to get a download code you have to enter it on bungie.net. The excuses for not having suitable infrastructure in place are pretty weak.

Disappointing. I only have four days blocked out as free to play the beta before it finishes (including today) and it looks like I'll be sat around waiting for maintenance to end.

Patience Grasshopper :)

by rhubarb, Thursday, July 17, 2014, 10:36 (3580 days ago) @ HavokBlue

Code redeemed. Hopefully my PS4 is downloading as we speak. Internet was down in my area for maintenance. When it rains it pours.

Should've had a sign in beta Sony. >:(

by rhubarb, Thursday, July 17, 2014, 10:26 (3580 days ago) @ kapowaz

- No text -

"Server maintenance"!?

by rhubarb, Thursday, July 17, 2014, 10:28 (3580 days ago) @ rhubarb

That's the message when I signed in and tried to redeem my code.

And that's why XBOX is better... :)

by GrimBrotherIII, Thursday, July 17, 2014, 10:33 (3580 days ago) @ rhubarb

- No text -

Follow up on that on the 23rd

by HavokBlue, California, Thursday, July 17, 2014, 10:35 (3580 days ago) @ GrimBrotherIII

- No text -

Redeem Early, Redeem Often.

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Thursday, July 17, 2014, 10:36 (3580 days ago) @ HavokBlue

- No text -

And that's why XBOX is better... :)

by kapowaz, Thursday, July 17, 2014, 10:36 (3580 days ago) @ GrimBrotherIII

Say what you will about Microsoft, they've got this stuff down to a fine art. Sony are still learning here (remember the credit card leak?).

It's 2014...

by RC ⌂, UK, Thursday, July 17, 2014, 10:39 (3580 days ago) @ kapowaz

And companies still can't deal with a little traffic spike for a PLANNED EVENT?

What the heck.

It's 2014...

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, July 17, 2014, 10:42 (3580 days ago) @ RC

And companies still can't deal with a little traffic spike for a PLANNED EVENT?

What the heck.

I think "can't" and "unwilling" are two different things. From my experience in the networking world if they can get by with a little bit of downtime without having to invest large sums of money into their infrastructure they will. Now the other part of the question on why they wouldn't allow pre-loading, that I don't know, and I would imagine only Sony and Bungie do.

It's 2014...

by kapowaz, Thursday, July 17, 2014, 10:50 (3580 days ago) @ Xenos

Dress it up all you like, what matters is whether they succeeded. The obvious answer is no, they didn't.

It's 2014...

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, July 17, 2014, 11:06 (3580 days ago) @ kapowaz

Dress it up all you like, what matters is whether they succeeded. The obvious answer is no, they didn't.

Uh... go reread my post and tell me how I was "dressing it up." Being unwilling is a SLIGHT towards the way most people deal with networking not a defense.

It's 2014...

by kapowaz, Thursday, July 17, 2014, 11:25 (3580 days ago) @ Xenos

Uh... go reread my post and tell me how I was "dressing it up." Being unwilling is a SLIGHT towards the way most people deal with networking not a defense.

By ‘dress it up all you like’ I don't mean you specifically — I mean anyone who might seek to explain it away. The only thing that matters is whether or not they succeeded. Everything else is a supplementary detail.

Just Torrent it

by RC ⌂, UK, Thursday, July 17, 2014, 10:52 (3580 days ago) @ Xenos

Have people enter their Beta codes when they open the app instead. Simple.

You don't get any more 'edge of the internet' than in people's homes.

Just Torrent it

by kapowaz, Thursday, July 17, 2014, 10:55 (3580 days ago) @ RC

Blizzard does this, funnily enough; their app downloader is also a BitTorrent client. Seems like a sensible approach if you ask me.

Just Torrent it

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, July 18, 2014, 14:48 (3579 days ago) @ kapowaz

Blizzard does this, funnily enough; their app downloader is also a BitTorrent client. Seems like a sensible approach if you ask me.

Other than the fact that Blizzard is using your connection to distribute their games without paying you for it, yeah. Totally sensible.

Just Torrent it

by Claude Errera @, Friday, July 18, 2014, 15:30 (3579 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Other than the fact that Blizzard is using your connection to distribute their games without paying you for it, yeah. Totally sensible.

Really? That's gonna be the line you draw?

Let's see... I can get mad at Blizzard for not being willing to buy enough bandwidth to distribute new games to millions of people (when that bandwidth is really only needed at launch)... or I can participate in the solution by being part of a PTP network that distributes the game to everyone with a much smaller load on any one source (and gets me the final product quicker, to boot!). I'm gonna assume that users have SOME control over the client (as they would with any standard bittorrent client), so that nobody with a bandwidth cap gets totally hosed by serving up terabytes of someone else's game. If that assumption is wrong, I guess you have a point... but if it's not, you're being awfully petty.

Just Torrent it

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, July 18, 2014, 15:34 (3579 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Let's see... I can get mad at Blizzard for not being willing to buy enough bandwidth to distribute new games to millions of people (when that bandwidth is really only needed at launch)... or I can participate in the solution by being part of a PTP network that distributes the game to everyone with a much smaller load on any one source (and gets me the final product quicker, to boot!). I'm gonna assume that users have SOME control over the client (as they would with any standard bittorrent client), so that nobody with a bandwidth cap gets totally hosed by serving up terabytes of someone else's game. If that assumption is wrong, I guess you have a point... but if it's not, you're being awfully petty.

On the old ones at least you could turn off peer downloading so you were JUST downloading from Blizzard.

It's 2014...

by scarab @, Thursday, July 17, 2014, 10:59 (3580 days ago) @ Xenos

Give us a tiny app that we enter our code into and leave running overnight the day before the beta launches. Leave your box on and go to bed.

Then at night, local time, it connects to the servers and negotiates a good time to download whilst most of your locale is asleep.

If you still want two key security then let the first code suffice to download and use the 2nd key to unlock.

This stuff should not be so irritating.

You just have all the answers, don't you?

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Thursday, July 17, 2014, 12:06 (3580 days ago) @ scarab

- No text -

Servers are not Plug and Play.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Thursday, July 17, 2014, 10:45 (3580 days ago) @ kapowaz

I'm no expert on this stuff, like... at all. Yet I bet that there is more to a server farm then just "is it plugged in". This is why we have a beta.

Retrospect yet again - could you imagine the madness of the Bungie site of BOTH PS & Xbox was in play today? Might as well shoot the ion cannon while you are at it.

This is NOT why we have a beta

by scarab @, Thursday, July 17, 2014, 10:54 (3580 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

There is nothing unexpected about not having enough resources to cope with a flood of demand that you engineered.

What we are seeing is exactly whet any competent engineer would have expected. There is nothing novel, unexpected, bleeding edge or unusual about problems cause by thousands of people trying to access servers and download gigabytes each all at once.

It's pretty poor but it only makes things worse to say that betas are for winding up gamers. :-)

On reflection:

by scarab @, Thursday, July 17, 2014, 11:09 (3580 days ago) @ scarab

maybe they do want to hammer their infrastructure - to give it an insanely heavy load and see what buckles.

Given that this is a beta - I can't complain if that is what they want to do.

In a sense, it is what I signed up for ;-)

This is NOT why we have a beta

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, July 17, 2014, 21:33 (3579 days ago) @ scarab

Maybe they did implement something cutting-edge or revolutionary and wanted to test out. I guess it didn't work out. Good thing they tested it first, huh?

Unable to connect to PSN℠

by Numinar @, Thursday, July 17, 2014, 11:08 (3580 days ago) @ kapowaz

Hahaha! None of my 4 friends can get in either, some cannot even start the DL.

I'm worried I'm geo-drm'd with my PSN account not matching my current continent of choice.

Before we checked with each other to see what the issue was I almost deleted the preload to see if that was the issue, but given the network load I would not have much luck with that either I imagine.

Error

CE-34632-8

Installing Destiny…

by kapowaz, Thursday, July 17, 2014, 11:17 (3580 days ago) @ kapowaz

I've finally gotten past the unable to connect screen; was asked to agree to the license, and now I'm downloading the game… at about 200K/s on a 100Mbps line.

Why was it they didn't want people to preload this again?

Because it makes no difference.

by Numinar @, Thursday, July 17, 2014, 11:24 (3580 days ago) @ kapowaz

Because those of us that pre'd up on PSN get error CE-34632-8.

So it dosn't matter.

I just wish the Kerbal update was here for me to pass the time with...

Sort it out Bungie/Activision/Sony. And thanks for not doing this on the actual launch day! Hope you get paid for overtime!

Anyone else have fond memories of playing 4p co-op Halo 3 at launch? No issues! No dedicated servers but still. Does this mean Destiny is bigger than Halo 3 or that Sony has never had any experience with this kind of online launch before?

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, July 17, 2014, 11:27 (3580 days ago) @ Numinar

Anyone else have fond memories of playing 4p co-op Halo 3 at launch? No issues! No dedicated servers but still.

Why are we comparing a non-always-online full game launch to an always-online beta launch? Also anyone remember the first day of the Halo Reach beta?

by kapowaz, Thursday, July 17, 2014, 11:33 (3580 days ago) @ Xenos

Also anyone remember the first day of the Halo Reach beta?

I remember I got to play it!

by Numinar @, Thursday, July 17, 2014, 11:35 (3580 days ago) @ Xenos

We? It was just me.

And I stand by it. Seems to be a sign in issue and Halo 3 would have still had that issue day 1. And even if you need servers just to enter an unpopulated single player tutorial area it doesn't explain why the client itself does not start.

I don't remember Reach, but I would have been hitting the SP hard at first).

We cannot even start the game! http://www.twitch.tv/Drift0r and all sorts of others can though.

Not having a go at them, but the only pat on the back they have earned is that this is happening in Beta and not launch (I hope!).

Also WTF is up with nobody else getting pre-loads except PSN people? (Not that it helped).

It means that Sony's awful infrastructure is still awful.

by GrimBrotherIII, Thursday, July 17, 2014, 11:51 (3580 days ago) @ Numinar

So it dosn't matter.

I just wish the Kerbal update was here for me to pass the time with...

Sort it out Bungie/Activision/Sony. And thanks for not doing this on the actual launch day! Hope you get paid for overtime!

Anyone else have fond memories of playing 4p co-op Halo 3 at launch? No issues! No dedicated servers but still. Does this mean Destiny is bigger than Halo 3 or that Sony has never had any experience with this kind of online launch before?

That's the biggest reason i haven't been at all interested in a Sony machine since the wonderful PS2 - their online MP UI has been consistently terrible over the years, and with the track record that PS+ has had it doesn't surprise me that they're having issues with a Beta this big.

by Stephen Laughlin ⌂ @, Long Beach, CA, Thursday, July 17, 2014, 12:26 (3580 days ago) @ Numinar

So it dosn't matter.

If you're in the EU, try "Restore Licenses" in the PS4 settings and "Make This PS4 Primary". It's supposedly worked for a lot of people. Still, I don't know why only EU PSN peeps were able to preload the Beta. I tried the workaround, had the whole thing preloaded since last night, but just ended up with a locked Destiny Beta tile that refused to verify the license.

I finally got through to the PSN store and started the regular download. So now I have two Betas. -_-

I'm an idiot, it's all good!

by Numinar @, Friday, July 18, 2014, 00:19 (3579 days ago) @ Stephen Laughlin

Yeah, I feel bad now. Turns out if I had just run the supposedly installed update instead of the application on the dashboard it runs.

Then I played until I couldn't keep my eyes open.

So other than some PS4 UI issue, perfect experience! Could have been playing a few hours earlier than I did but otherwise for me personally, a better 1st day of an online title than I've had in a looooooong time.

Matchmaking was way faster than Alpha. Not as much pass-through traffic as I had in Alpha which made the public events impossible, but hey, BETA!!!!!!!!!

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread