Beta Cross-Gen Characters (Destiny)

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, July 17, 2014, 18:11 (3574 days ago)

I was surprised to find out that the PS3 character I started was accessible on my PS4! Looks like at least Cross-Gen Characters are going to be in Destiny (most likely).

Beta Cross-Gen Characters

by TTL Demag0gue ⌂ @, Within the shadow of the Traveler, Thursday, July 17, 2014, 18:33 (3574 days ago) @ Xenos

I'll be very curious to see what happens when the Xbox Beta comes online next week.

by ncsuDuncan @, Thursday, July 17, 2014, 19:11 (3573 days ago) @ TTL Demag0gue

I'll be very curious to see what happens when the Xbox Beta comes online next week.

Yeah, it'll be interesting to see if Xbox 360 <-> Xbox One transfers are possible (or if it's just one-way).

I'm pretty sure PS4 <-> Xbox One won't be possible though.

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Thursday, July 17, 2014, 18:45 (3574 days ago) @ Xenos

I was surprised to find out that the PS3 character I started was accessible on my PS4! Looks like at least Cross-Gen Characters are going to be in Destiny (most likely).

After you load the character on your PS4, can you play it back on your PS3, or is it a one-way "upgrade"?

I'll get back to you

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, July 17, 2014, 18:47 (3574 days ago) @ Beorn

- No text -

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, July 18, 2014, 08:53 (3573 days ago) @ Beorn

After you load the character on your PS4, can you play it back on your PS3, or is it a one-way "upgrade"?

Played PS4 first, then hopped on PS3.

Character was there, ready to go.
Characters ARE stored server-side.

Me was right.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, July 18, 2014, 09:03 (3573 days ago) @ Korny

Me was right.

Awesome! That is great news.

Awesome.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Friday, July 18, 2014, 09:12 (3573 days ago) @ Korny

- No text -

PS3<->PS4?

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Friday, July 18, 2014, 10:06 (3573 days ago) @ Korny

Me was right.

Okay, so next questions (since I don't have a PS3 to test with):
1) Can someone on a PS3 and someone on a PS4 play together, or are they siloed into their own specific platform?
2) What happens if you're playing on a PS3 and try to log in on a PS4 (or vice versa)?

PS3<->PS4?

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, July 18, 2014, 10:29 (3573 days ago) @ Beorn

Okay, so next questions (since I don't have a PS3 to test with):
1) Can someone on a PS3 and someone on a PS4 play together, or are they siloed into their own specific platform?
2) What happens if you're playing on a PS3 and try to log in on a PS4 (or vice versa)?

Cross-gen play I can confirm is not possible. I don't even see my PS3 friends in my friends list inside the Beta. Also Bungie commented on it on Wednesday to Digital Trends:

“I’ll speak for the hypothetical player,” Wolfson explains. “I have a disadvantage sniping across the map because [my opponent with a next-gen console] is only two pixels on my screen and I’m four pixels on his. You see that in the world of PC gaming, where people are always racing to the best video card to give themselves the advantage.”

Read more: http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/for-bungie-straddling-four-consoles-in-destiny-was-a-balancing-act/#ixzz37qHQnFmU

Good.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, July 18, 2014, 12:38 (3573 days ago) @ Xenos

I wouldn't want to play against someone on a next-gen system so I think this is just fine.

Good.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Friday, July 18, 2014, 13:02 (3573 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I wouldn't want to play against someone on a next-gen system so I think this is just fine.

Being able to play with people on a last gen system would have meant I didn't have to buy a second console to play with Lil' Blue.

Good.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, July 18, 2014, 14:54 (3573 days ago) @ bluerunner

Being able to play with people on a last gen system would have meant I didn't have to buy a second console to play with Lil' Blue.

And then there's that. :(

Good.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Friday, July 18, 2014, 15:05 (3573 days ago) @ Ragashingo

And then there's that. :(

Can't complain too much now. Somebody is giving me a second 360. By Destiny 2 I'll try to have two XB1s.

You have my attention good sir.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Thursday, July 17, 2014, 18:55 (3574 days ago) @ Xenos

- No text -

by Velociraptor112, Places., Thursday, July 17, 2014, 21:19 (3573 days ago) @ Xenos

Awesome. I hope it'll work from 360 to the One, as well.

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Friday, July 18, 2014, 07:54 (3573 days ago) @ Xenos

Based on what Bungie has said, I've been pretty sure that you can transfer characters from one platform to another (just not play against players on other platforms). All of the character information is stored on Bungie's servers somewhere so you can adjust your equipment from the app/web anyway.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, July 18, 2014, 08:01 (3573 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

Based on what Bungie has said, I've been pretty sure that you can transfer characters from one platform to another (just not play against players on other platforms). All of the character information is stored on Bungie's servers somewhere so you can adjust your equipment from the app/web anyway.

Yeah that's how I felt too. I'm pretty sure they flat out denied it at one point though, but I could just be snorting the marijuana.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Friday, July 18, 2014, 08:05 (3573 days ago) @ Xenos

I'm optimistic that they are holding off confirming this until they work the bugs out. With the app and website layout, I can't see having separate characters on each console.

by theboywil, Friday, July 18, 2014, 08:16 (3573 days ago) @ bluerunner

This would be a dream come true for me...

I thought I was foolish for continually hoping that I could switch between consoles based on which friends were online at the time. Fingers crossed...

Not that simple though.

by ncsuDuncan @, Friday, July 18, 2014, 08:37 (3573 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

Yes, syncing Bungie.net character data across platforms should be easy - but what happens when my PS4 Warlock tries to bring his PlayStation-timed-exclusive weapons and armor over to the Xbox One?

Not that simple though.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, July 18, 2014, 08:46 (3573 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

Yes, syncing Bungie.net character data across platforms should be easy - but what happens when my PS4 Warlock tries to bring his PlayStation-timed-exclusive weapons and armor over to the Xbox One?

Then the darkness just consumes the item. When returning to the playstation, you find out it was just under the bed.

I think I like Cody's explanation more

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Friday, July 18, 2014, 08:47 (3573 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

Not that simple though.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Friday, July 18, 2014, 08:46 (3573 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

Probably the same thing that happens in Mass Effect 3 when I delete a DLC pack off of my hard drive. Until it's reinstalled, any DLC weapons get unequipped and aren't available to select. Once the pack's reinstalled, everything's peachy again.

I don't know for a fact that's how Destiny will work, but it's at least possible to deal with suddenly-unavailable DLC gracefully.

Love the how easy the cross gen resuming is

by theboywil, Saturday, July 19, 2014, 12:44 (3572 days ago) @ stabbim

Tried the cross gen game resuming today, and was amazed at how simple it is. Just fire up the game on the PS3 and you are presented with your chars as though you were playing all along on the PS3. All customizations and game progress are magically there with no need for importing or tweaking etc.

I assume there would be the same issues with missing DLC etc even cross gen, so hopefully they will have a solution for handling that.

It really does give me hope for the same features to exist for cross platform. (I guess we will see next week… :-) ) And if it does work so seamlessly in the Beta and then in the full game, then I will def be buying for both PS4 and Bone. I would love the opportunity to play with friends in both camps...

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread