Any Beta commentary? WTF is going on? (Destiny)

by yakaman, Thursday, July 17, 2014, 20:19 (3579 days ago)

Seriously, I logged into the forum expecting to see a plethora of commentary, screens, vids, and mountain dew fueled glee. Where is everyone?

In the beta ;)

by Yapok @, Thursday, July 17, 2014, 20:20 (3579 days ago) @ yakaman

- No text -

Any Beta commentary? WTF is going on?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, July 17, 2014, 20:21 (3579 days ago) @ yakaman

Seriously, I logged into the forum expecting to see a plethora of commentary, screens, vids, and mountain dew fueled glee. Where is everyone?

On the moon story mission. Damn, it's fun. :-p

The Moon Story mission?

by BeingU, Friday, July 18, 2014, 00:01 (3579 days ago) @ Cody Miller

You're on the moon story mission? It just says Requirements Not Met for me. =(

I've finished the Earth based missions, played crucible, and hit level 8. Where do I go from here?

by HavokBlue, California, Friday, July 18, 2014, 01:21 (3579 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Are you messing with us or is this a thing

My life was pretty much ruined when I tried to launch the moon mission and was told NOPE

THERE IS NO MOON.

by Numinar @, Friday, July 18, 2014, 04:17 (3579 days ago) @ HavokBlue

Probably a good thing, it was like 1 am when I got that far.

Probably would have gotten a lot less sleep and maybe fired if there were a few missions on the Moon! Kerbal update should have us covered for Moon content in the meantime I guess.

The way it locks the content makes me wonder if the Beta is actually a sub-part of the final game, and that on release we will have a 12GB head start on the download so we can get playing straight away.

Think it's fair to say the beta covers about 1/5th of the mission content? Actually, thats totally unfair.

Game is great, didn't think I'd want to level up to 8 another 3 times in the same missions like in the alpha, but I really enjoyed it. Will see what happens when you try the story missions on hard at 2-3 levels below spec... (difficulty seemed to fall off very quickly for me, and the Strike seems a LOT easier now, or at least faster).

Some of the battles were great, the one with the hive ships was pretty epic.

-Vince

THERE IS NO MOON. Or is there?

by HavokBlue, California, Friday, July 18, 2014, 04:32 (3579 days ago) @ Numinar

A bunch of people on /vg/ got the idea from twitter that more beta content is on the way, likely after the downtime in a few days.

For a 12gb download, there's gotta be more in here than just what we saw in the Alpha, which was definitely not 12gb.

THERE IS NO MOON.

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Friday, July 18, 2014, 07:36 (3579 days ago) @ Numinar

Ive really enjoyed what I've played so far of the main game (everything but the strike), but if that's 1/5th of the retail title I think I'll feel shorted.

Obviously the "Explore" missions lengthen the experience, but I blazed through the rest of the beta content on probably an hour and a half. I realize 6 hours is the average for an Activision-backed shooter, but I kind of expect more from something described as "MMO-like" even if not an actual MMO.

THERE IS NO MOON.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Friday, July 18, 2014, 07:52 (3579 days ago) @ someotherguy

Where are you guys getting the 1/5? How do you know how many story missions there will be? For all we know what's in the beta could only be 1/10 or less. These missions seem to be basically tutorial missions that get you set up with your gear. I think we're barely scratching the surface.

This has to be a joke

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Friday, July 18, 2014, 07:58 (3579 days ago) @ someotherguy
edited by kidtsunami, Friday, July 18, 2014, 08:24

Ive really enjoyed what I've played so far of the main game (everything but the strike), but if that's 1/5th of the retail title I think I'll feel shorted.

Obviously the "Explore" missions lengthen the experience, but I blazed through the rest of the beta content on probably an hour and a half. I realize 6 hours is the average for an Activision-backed shooter, but I kind of expect more from something described as "MMO-like" even if not an actual MMO.

You're making a ton of assumptions here.

This has to be a joke

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Friday, July 18, 2014, 10:53 (3579 days ago) @ kidtsunami

No, just one assumption: that this is 1/5th.

And no, I dont think it will be. I was just replying to Numinar and the suggestion that it MIGHT be.

THERE IS NO MOON.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Friday, July 18, 2014, 08:25 (3579 days ago) @ someotherguy

Your math is ok but your logic isn't. 1/5 file size would only mean 1/5 the game length if every single mission, event, and moment was composed of 100% unique files. Textures, character models, etc. are re-used a lot. The part of the file size that defines missions and such is probably a tiny piece.

tl;dr, adding a LOT of missions and other such content probably doesn't require as much extra space as you're thinking it does. There is no way you've actually seen 1/5 of Destiny at this point.

THERE IS NO MOON.

by Numinar @, Friday, July 18, 2014, 10:09 (3579 days ago) @ stabbim

It is an unfounded assumption based on what has been shown to us, and I pointed it out as a minimum. I hope I didn't come across as sound authoritative on the matter, but it is on my mind and after the Alpha proving quality and fun was not an issue, I started obsessing over content.

I'm just comparing it to a 7-8 hour Halo game, which we all know are worth the money. Beta content is already a good proportion of that standard, closer to a COD campaign with MP.

I don't want to flame Bungie or have wild guesses assumed to be fact. But since Activision or Bungie won't say what the game entails (number of Strikes/Raids/Story Missions/Casual playtime etc), all we have to do is guess! Cody in another post said the Alpha represented 3% of the content. If this is true I am gobsmacked, a game with 1/4 the subscription costs of an MMO (I think PS3 can MP for free) with the content of a launch MMO. Crazy.

Eating.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Thursday, July 17, 2014, 21:32 (3579 days ago) @ yakaman

Wait till the meal has at the very least been chewed on first. (Om Nom Nom)

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Friday, July 18, 2014, 08:21 (3579 days ago) @ yakaman

Last night I was too busy playing!

And today I'm working. Which doesn't actually prevent me from browsing the forum, but I haven't really put together enough coherent thoughts for a post.

I will say that I can easily see Destiny being my go-to game for a long time. I'm barely evem noticing how much I hate the PS3 controller. :P

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Friday, July 18, 2014, 08:28 (3579 days ago) @ stabbim

Last night I was too busy playing!

And today I'm working. Which doesn't actually prevent me from browsing the forum, but I haven't really put together enough coherent thoughts for a post.

I will say that I can easily see Destiny being my go-to game for a long time. I'm barely evem noticing how much I hate the PS3 controller. :P

I don't know about you, but I'm squarely in the camp of people that hated the PS3 controller, but the PS4 controller might be my favorite ever. If you're going to keep playing on the PS3, it might be worth picking up a Dual Shock 4 since it now works for PS3 too; Zenos said he used a DS4 on his PS3 yesterday and everything but the rumble and touchpad worked great.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, July 18, 2014, 08:31 (3579 days ago) @ Speedracer513

I don't know about you, but I'm squarely in the camp of people that hated the PS3 controller, but the PS4 controller might be my favorite ever. If you're going to keep playing on the PS3, it might be worth picking up a Dual Shock 4 since it now works for PS3 too; Zenos said he used a DS4 on his PS3 yesterday and everything but the rumble and touchpad worked great.

Also PS button doesn't work, but you barely notice that while you're playing.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Friday, July 18, 2014, 08:44 (3579 days ago) @ Speedracer513

I won't be on the PS3 for the retail release. I'm only there for the beta because I'm going to be traveling during the XBox period.

That being said, I think it's a good idea for those who are going to be sticking with PS3. I've never held a PS4 controller, but just from seeing images and hearing people describe it, I'm certain it would be better for an FPS.

PS4 controller is a lot better

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Friday, July 18, 2014, 11:07 (3579 days ago) @ stabbim

but doesn't hold up against the XB1 one over long sessions.

Golden Chest locations?

by HavokBlue, California, Friday, July 18, 2014, 13:52 (3579 days ago) @ yakaman

Has anybody noticed the location select for old Russia displays the number of golden chests you've located?

I've found two, evidently, one of which was somewhere I don't quite remember in the zone where you fight the Devil Walker.

Do whatnow?

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Friday, July 18, 2014, 13:56 (3579 days ago) @ HavokBlue

Has anybody noticed the location select for old Russia displays the number of golden chests you've located?
I've found two, evidently, one of which was somewhere I don't quite remember in the zone where you fight the Devil Walker.

Golden chests? Did it have awesome loot?

Do whatnow?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, July 18, 2014, 14:06 (3579 days ago) @ Beorn

Golden chests? Did it have awesome loot?

Sometimes. I've only gotten bad stuff though.

Do whatnow?

by bluerunner @, Music City, Friday, July 18, 2014, 14:10 (3579 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by bluerunner, Friday, July 18, 2014, 14:15

Find all 5 and you get a new sparrow.

Edit: Here's a video showing where to find them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eakRwAUprY0

Do whatnow?

by petetheduck, Friday, July 18, 2014, 16:18 (3578 days ago) @ bluerunner

Find all 5 and you get a new sparrow.

Is it a Golden Sparrow?

Shh. Don't tell me. Not watching the vid so I can find out for myself. I hope it involves a cave on Silent Cartographer.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread