What is the point of the iron banner? (Destiny)

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Saturday, July 19, 2014, 14:00 (3571 days ago)

Prove who has leveled the most and have randomly found the best gear?

Probably This

by DaDerga, Baile Átha Cliath, Saturday, July 19, 2014, 14:16 (3571 days ago) @ kidtsunami

What is the point of the iron banner?

by HavokBlue, California, Saturday, July 19, 2014, 14:41 (3571 days ago) @ kidtsunami

I'm enjoying it so far. Since armor and weapons aren't equalized, the TTK is longer. On the other hand, Titans are ridiculously difficult to kill now.

I wish I'd saved up 2000 glimmer before the event started. Already ranked up with Lord Saladin but can't afford anything he sells.

I got some rewards... But...

by Doooskey, Kansas City, MO, Saturday, July 19, 2014, 19:35 (3571 days ago) @ kidtsunami

Did anyone even get anything good? I was rewarded with a Legendary Pistol, but it was for Lvl 20 only... Seem's like a pointless reward for the 12 games I was able to fit in the 2 hour window.

I bought some things from the vendor, but was disappointed with the "rewards" for this section.

Anyone get something actually cool and useful?

They're randomised

by RC ⌂, UK, Sunday, July 20, 2014, 04:06 (3571 days ago) @ Doooskey

Did anyone even get anything good? I was rewarded with a Legendary Pistol, but it was for Lvl 20 only... Seem's like a pointless reward for the 12 games I was able to fit in the 2 hour window.

I bought some things from the vendor, but was disappointed with the "rewards" for this section.

I didn't get shit. I managed to get one challenge completed by the time we realised you actually had to get the challenges first to really get anything. But I couldn't do anything with it because the hall closed before I had a chance to go back to him.

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Sunday, July 20, 2014, 11:02 (3571 days ago) @ Doooskey

I didn't get anything useful, but a guy in one of my games got a sweet purple hand cannon. Only problem was it required Level 20…

by TTL Demag0gue ⌂ @, Within the shadow of the Traveler, Sunday, July 20, 2014, 12:41 (3570 days ago) @ Beorn

Only problem was it required Level 20…

Yeah, it seems like Legendary weapons can't be equipped, but ships and class-specific items can be. Hoping to nab something in Iron Banner this evening.

by SigbiasSilva @, West Midlands, England, Sunday, July 20, 2014, 12:14 (3570 days ago) @ Doooskey

I saw a chap get a purple ship. That was pretty neat.

by Doooskey, Kansas City, MO, Sunday, July 20, 2014, 13:35 (3570 days ago) @ SigbiasSilva
edited by Doooskey, Sunday, July 20, 2014, 13:39

I would have loved a ship... I was playing side by side with a buddy of mine, and we both got the same exact purple pistol in consecutive matches. I completed one of the bounties and he did 2 of them, but I got my pistol first...

We were 1 and 2 in score in almost all of the games, with me having a slightly higher score. I was wondering if the rewards were tiered... But it sounds like we just randomly received the same reward...

In other news, I bought the Legendary Warlock arm band from the Iron Banner vendor, just to have my buddy delete it by mistake while he was trying out my warlock for his first Destiny experience... :(

But if the point of it is just the rewards

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Monday, July 21, 2014, 02:04 (3570 days ago) @ Doooskey

Why remove the level equalization?

I played a match last night and I either felt like I was OP'd against some guardians or torn up by someone OP'd. I still went K/D and we won but it was a pretty unsatisfying experience aside from getting to play on Rusted Lands again.

The rewards look really cool and I like the idea of getting that purple ship (I think I saw Schooly D had it), but I don't appreciate the means by which you get them.

It feels inherently less competitive and silly. And considering that vanilla Crucible still allows you to use whatever skill tree enhancements you have on your gear or your guardian it's already weirdly imbalanced.

I'm just curious, does anyone actually like the idea of no level equalization in the Iron Banner or do they just like the "event" nature and the rewards?

To please everyone, if I were to guess

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Monday, July 21, 2014, 02:42 (3570 days ago) @ kidtsunami

- No text -

I'd like to hear from someone who LIKES the idea

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Monday, July 21, 2014, 05:39 (3570 days ago) @ ZackDark

- No text -

Guilty, Im afraid

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Monday, July 21, 2014, 05:43 (3570 days ago) @ kidtsunami

- No text -

Guilty, Im afraid

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Monday, July 21, 2014, 05:45 (3570 days ago) @ someotherguy

Though that could be because everyone is st level cap atm, which should make for relaticely equal games. Obviously the quality of the matchmaking will make or break Iron Banner in the final game.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, July 21, 2014, 03:12 (3570 days ago) @ kidtsunami

It feels inherently less competitive and silly. And considering that vanilla Crucible still allows you to use whatever skill tree enhancements you have on your gear or your guardian it's already weirdly imbalanced.

There are some amazing abilities that weapons can have that greatly benefit crucible.

For instance, I have an auto rifle which completely maintains its stability when you are being shot. I have a pulse rifle which if you empty the clip, reloads nearly instantly. I have to train myself not to reload, because in a firefight having the quick reload is very very helpful. Your cooldown reduction for your melee ability, super, and grenades also carries over.

But the kicker, is now you have to grind enemy kills to activate those abilities on a weapon you get before you take it into the crucible. It just wastes time and is stupid.

by SigbiasSilva @, West Midlands, England, Monday, July 21, 2014, 03:25 (3570 days ago) @ Cody Miller

But the kicker, is now you have to grind enemy kills to activate those abilities on a weapon you get before you take it into the crucible. It just wastes time and is stupid.

Before handing any bounties in, I'd always make sure I'd equip guns (and sometimes armour) that still needed upgrades. This usually gave them enough XP to be fully upgraded in one batch, despite not having used them in combat yet.

It's still a process, of course, but it can speed things up considerably. I've got a nice collection of upgraded green weapons that I have yet to use this way :)

I'd like to second that Bounty business

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Monday, July 21, 2014, 05:39 (3570 days ago) @ SigbiasSilva

Checking if I had anything that needed to be upgraded before turning in a bounty was a sure fire way to upgrade a whole set of gear at the same time.

^Pro tip right there

by RC ⌂, UK, Monday, July 21, 2014, 05:48 (3570 days ago) @ SigbiasSilva

Efficiency is key.

This is really good info

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, July 21, 2014, 14:47 (3569 days ago) @ SigbiasSilva

- No text -

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Monday, July 21, 2014, 05:43 (3570 days ago) @ kidtsunami

I quite enjoyed it actually.

If nothing else it felt like it took slightly longer to kill or be killed, which made it feel more like Halo.

I never felt like anyone was especially OP either. Felt good, even when I was losing

eh, just increase the engagement length then

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Monday, July 21, 2014, 05:46 (3570 days ago) @ someotherguy

- No text -

by Doooskey, Kansas City, MO, Monday, July 21, 2014, 06:16 (3570 days ago) @ kidtsunami

Part of me likes the concept, but it will change a lot when the full game comes out... I imagine the class gaps (Titan super armor) will expand, and the gear levels could vary a ton. I mostly enjoyed it, except for the few early mismatches we drew. (see below)

In the Beta it felt pretty similar to me to the regular crucible, with a few exceptions:

1. Kill times for Titans were much higher. I don't know how this is supposed to work... All classes have access to the same guns, but not the same armor - Titans get a big advantage on the armor. My opinion is, that if you want to run a lot of Iron Banner, build a strong Titan.

2. A 43 Attack Auto Rifle is far worse than a 62 Attack version. Obvious, but tried it out to see and feel the difference.

3. Warlocks seem under powered in the Iron Banner. Maybe because Intellect is not an earn-able stat in the Beta? The Warlocks strength is Space Magic, right? With the least amount of defense, and the same guns, Warlocks were 1-2 shots easier to kill.

4. Kill time is the same for a Nova Bomb. Can't run from this baby...

5. Level 5's on my team were worthless. Seriously, I had 3 guys in my fireteam, and got matched with multiple level 5's in my first 3 games... this was the biggest issue to me. Major, and random disadvantage.

I am really curious to see this in the full game. I still think it could be fun - I enjoyed it a lot in the Beta, even though I primarily ran it with a Warlock.

Yeah DO NOT go into the Iron Banner if you're not Lvl Capped

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Monday, July 21, 2014, 06:31 (3570 days ago) @ Doooskey

- No text -

by Avateur @, Monday, July 21, 2014, 06:55 (3570 days ago) @ kidtsunami

So I was playing with a buddy of mine on his PS3. I'd classify him as very casual. We were being watched by someone who rarely if ever games but enjoys watching, and by another gamer like myself who's really decent. We go into Iron Banner and take turns. We are level 5. Really could have used this post of yours before we went in. Utter disaster. All four of us knew something just was not right or fun about the experience. The balance was so far off that it's crazy. I thought we had some pretty decent guns and armor, but apparently not compared to the hulking masses of level 8s and their endless doom armors and weapons.

Granted, I think Crucible as a whole is highly flawed on a number of levels (I'll probably get more into that after I have more time with the Beta once it launches on 360, that or point to Schooly's topic on why PvP sucks), but Iron Banner was impressively frustrating.

Get your BR up

by Kalamari @, Waiting for Ghorn, FB, and BH, Monday, July 21, 2014, 07:25 (3570 days ago) @ Avateur

I am not sure how I feel about the Crucible yet (honestly I have bigger gripes with the game), but it seems having a somewhat organized team is a huge benefit, I've been lone wolfing the entire time and getting slaughtered. And I have grown to really hate the PS3 controller, what a POS.

I would if the Crucible took actual skill

by Avateur @, Monday, July 21, 2014, 17:33 (3569 days ago) @ Kalamari
edited by Avateur, Monday, July 21, 2014, 17:55

I honestly found myself really enjoying the PS3 controller, oddly enough. I still prefer my 360 controller, but hey. Crucible is a mixed bag for me. It's definitely more fun to play than to watch, but it has so many problems that I don't even feel like getting into it at the moment. I need the 360 Beta to come out so I can put more time into it to fully craft my thoughts. That or I'll just end up re-posting Schooly's post about why it sucks.

Really loving the campaign/co-op story mode stuff, though. I feel like it's far more worth my time and far more rewarding than the multiplayer that really presents no sense of accomplishment.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, July 21, 2014, 14:52 (3569 days ago) @ Avateur

Granted, I think Crucible as a whole is highly flawed on a number of levels (I'll probably get more into that after I have more time with the Beta once it launches on 360, that or point to Schooly's topic on why PvP sucks), but Iron Banner was impressively frustrating.

In my opinion, Schooly is wrong and he doesn't like it because it's not Halo, but I'd like to hear more from those of you who are more hardcore PvPers.

by Avateur @, Monday, July 21, 2014, 17:36 (3569 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I'm pretty shocked that you of all people don't agree with him about more of it, but I've liked a lot of your reasoning in your posts. I mostly disagree with it, but I'll definitely have more to post once I've had more time with it. I mean sure, I had plenty of hours worth to form an opinion, but I want even more to really get my thoughts down. I also need to go in with a full party of people I know to see how that impacts it.

Edit: I can't speak for Schooly, so I don't know if the problem for him is that it isn't Halo, but that isn't my problem with it. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, July 21, 2014, 18:04 (3569 days ago) @ Avateur

Edit: I can't speak for Schooly, so I don't know if the problem for him is that it isn't Halo, but that isn't my problem with it. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

He explained exactly why he didn't like it:

http://destiny.bungie.org/forum/index.php?id=23735

TLDR there's stuff that kills you instantly and takes no skill to use.

The thing is, is that with the supers, the hunter is flaming so you can SEE and avoid, and the nova bomb and titan smash all have startup animations. I don't know, but if you see a titan running right at a control point, he's gonna super you.

He fails to mention that on the moon map, there's tunnels and stuff to connect things where the interceptor can't get you, and it's easily taken out with supers / heavies.

It just doesn't bother me.

He must not hate it that much, because he's still playing it.

I would love to read your analysis when you are done.

by necro2607 ⌂, Vancouver, Canada, Monday, July 21, 2014, 11:13 (3569 days ago) @ kidtsunami

Yeaaahhh I went in as lvl 5 and got completely destroyed. I think I got some gloves as a reward item, which were crappier than what I already had. Good times. By the time the 2 hours was up, the gates to get to Lord Saladin were closed. Uhh, hope they do Iron Banner again so I can maybe acquire some goods... Not even sure if I would be eligible to get anything though...

by CaneCutter @, Alabama, Monday, July 21, 2014, 09:11 (3570 days ago) @ kidtsunami

I played a match last night and I either felt like I was OP'd against some guardians or torn up by someone OP'd. I still went K/D and we won but it was a pretty unsatisfying experience aside from getting to play on Rusted Lands again.

The rewards look really cool and I like the idea of getting that purple ship (I think I saw Schooly D had it), but I don't appreciate the means by which you get them.

I'm just curious, does anyone actually like the idea of no level equalization in the Iron Banner or do they just like the "event" nature and the rewards?

With the equalizations removed, is the attack number all that matters?

This game confuses me on the finer details of PvP - and I feel dumb for it.

- CC

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Monday, July 21, 2014, 09:13 (3570 days ago) @ CaneCutter

With the equalizations removed, is the attack number all that matters?

This game confuses me on the finer details of PvP - and I feel dumb for it.

- CC

I believe the Attack Number is part of what gets equalized. The bars are what you should compare between guns. Am I willing to give up Impact (Damage) for Range?

by CaneCutter @, Alabama, Monday, July 21, 2014, 10:27 (3570 days ago) @ kidtsunami

I believe the Attack Number is part of what gets equalized. The bars are what you should compare between guns. Am I willing to give up Impact (Damage) for Range?

Right, but when the equalization is gone, is it just attack number? A combination of both? e.g. I have 2 Auto Rifles. One has higher impact but the other has higher attack. If we're playing without the level equalization, which one does more damage per shot?

- CC

by bluerunner @, Music City, Monday, July 21, 2014, 10:35 (3570 days ago) @ CaneCutter

The one with more impact does more damage in leveled PvP. The attack number is the damage boost the weapon gets in PvE and Iron Banner.

by CaneCutter @, Alabama, Monday, July 21, 2014, 11:40 (3569 days ago) @ bluerunner

The one with more impact does more damage in leveled PvP. The attack number is the damage boost the weapon gets in PvE and Iron Banner.

Do you happen to know the math behind this? They tell me to bring my best stuff to the Iron Banner. Well, how do I know? Trial and error? I'd like to just calculate the damage based on stats.

- CC I might be making too much of this, but it would give me confidence I'm bringing my "A" game.

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Monday, July 21, 2014, 13:07 (3569 days ago) @ CaneCutter

I'd definitely like to see a number associated with Impact, Stability etc. Would help me pick between weapons with say, higher rate of fire but lower impact.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Monday, July 21, 2014, 13:10 (3569 days ago) @ someotherguy

You can compare a weapon with the one you have equipped by hovering over that weapon and pulling the right trigger. It will show you green or red bars for each attribute to indicate which weapon is better.

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Monday, July 21, 2014, 13:17 (3569 days ago) @ bluerunner

Yeah, I've seen that, and it's obviously very helpful.

I'd just like numbers so I could be even more exacting. But I'm the kind of guy who likes spreadsheets too, so...

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, July 21, 2014, 14:50 (3569 days ago) @ someotherguy

I'd just like numbers so I could be even more exacting. But I'm the kind of guy who likes spreadsheets too, so...

You can't always go by numbers. Sometimes, you gotta feel it out.

I used a scout rifle for the longest time, but then acquired a green one. Looking at it, it appeared to be worse, since while it had a higher attack, the impact was lower. Tests indicated it did about 20% less damage. Sucks right?

Nope! It had a way higher rate of fire, plus higher stability, and I found I was able to kill guys much faster with it, since the decreased damage was more than offset by the faster firing and increased accuracy.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Monday, July 21, 2014, 15:03 (3569 days ago) @ Cody Miller

This is where I wish the tower had some kind of firing range. I want to easily compare the feel of weapons without going out in the wild. This is especially true with special and heavy weapons because I either have to hunt down ammo or burn ammo packs just to test fire them.

by CaneCutter @, Alabama, Monday, July 21, 2014, 15:21 (3569 days ago) @ bluerunner

This is where I wish the tower had some kind of firing range. I want to easily compare the feel of weapons without going out in the wild. This is especially true with special and heavy weapons because I either have to hunt down ammo or burn ammo packs just to test fire them.

Having a borderlands style firing range would be awesome. I could live without numbers if I could easily test and determine my best weapon. I'd just like to have an easy way to see that without trial and error in the crucible.

- CC

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Monday, July 21, 2014, 15:45 (3569 days ago) @ Cody Miller

You can't always go by numbers. Sometimes, you gotta feel it out.

I used a scout rifle for the longest time, but then acquired a green one. Looking at it, it appeared to be worse, since while it had a higher attack, the impact was lower. Tests indicated it did about 20% less damage. Sucks right?

Nope! It had a way higher rate of fire, plus higher stability, and I found I was able to kill guys much faster with it, since the decreased damage was more than offset by the faster firing and increased accuracy.

It sounds like you just forgot to take rate of fire into account. I can see how stability would be problematic but if they told us how it works we could figure out DPS and cones of fire, and then I'd be up to my ears in math just like I didn't want to be. If they are going to go this route, and at this point it's clear they are, I'd rather be able to do the math than have to test-fire to find out how much damage something does and how fast and how accurate it is and just generally if it's worth using.

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Monday, July 21, 2014, 18:19 (3569 days ago) @ General Vagueness

Looking at it, it appeared to be worse, since while it had a higher attack, the impact was lower. Tests indicated it did about 20% less damage. Sucks right?

That's exactly *why* I'd like to see some numbers.

Even at its most basic, you could multiply RoF by Impact for a DPS figure (or Damage Per whatever the RoF is measured in)

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Monday, July 21, 2014, 16:20 (3569 days ago) @ bluerunner

You can compare a weapon with the one you have equipped by hovering over that weapon and pulling the right trigger. It will show you green or red bars for each attribute to indicate which weapon is better.

If you do it that way then at best you have to do it once for every weapon you have and at worst you have to do it for every pair of weapons, and you'd have to compare again after you upgrade a weapon, and if you have to compare every item to every other item the number of comparisons increases faster than the number of items. That would take up a lot of time and be really tedious. It's hard to think Bungie would be blind to this, but it's slightly less hard to think that they might think this is acceptable and won't hurt enjoyment, somehow; I hope neither is the case.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread