Exclusive playable content for the Playstation

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, February 22, 2013, 15:01 (4088 days ago)

Seriously? Unless there is some sort of technical reason to be doing this, this isn't very cool Bungie.

It's one thing to take an old game and add stuff when you port it to a new system, but this is being developed as cross platform from the get go, so I see no reason artistically to limit content to a specific platform.

If there isn't a technical reason for this, then this is pretty low.

by Smee, Friday, February 22, 2013, 15:06 (4088 days ago) @ Cody Miller

My guess is that it will either be:

1) something that plays to the PS3/4's strengths, like integration with vita or a PS network only feature, or
2) something that will have a matching set of content for other platforms

I don't think the exclusive content will give a gameplay benefit (ie PS only planet, missions, gear). It will be something more like the pre-order bonuses that halo had.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see when more is revealed, or if a matching announcement is made for the xbox.

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Friday, February 22, 2013, 15:12 (4088 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by Grizzlei, Friday, February 22, 2013, 15:16

May be low, but for anyone on the fence about which version of Destiny to buy and more so deciding whether or not to buy a PlayStation 4 it's a good business decision. This may be one game that sells consoles on its own. Depending on what it is, it was smart for Activision and Sony to come out and promise that this supposedly fabulous new console will be getting some sort of exclusive love.

I can only imagine most consumers are either blissfully unaware of this stinky enterprise or just don't give a shit. Honestly wish I were one of them.

by electricpirate @, Friday, February 22, 2013, 15:21 (4088 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Yup, it's bullshit.

not sure how much say bungie has in this one, but I'd rather it not be happening.

I'll wait to see size of the content though for how I want to calibrate my Ire.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, February 22, 2013, 17:06 (4088 days ago) @ electricpirate

I'll wait to see size of the content though for how I want to calibrate my Ire.

Agreed. If this is just exclusive access to the zebra stripped gun skin then it's a non-issue. If I can't fly to Saturn because I'm on a NeXtBoX then that's crap.

Concur.

by yakaman, Sunday, February 24, 2013, 11:07 (4086 days ago) @ Ragashingo

- No text -

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Friday, February 22, 2013, 16:20 (4088 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Seriously? Unless there is some sort of technical reason to be doing this, this isn't very cool Bungie.

It's one thing to take an old game and add stuff when you port it to a new system,

Is it? Says you.

I don't think its "one thing" to add new content to a game when its ported to a competitors platform. How is that any more "ok" to you?

If there isn't a technical reason for this, then this is pretty low.

You have a really odd sense of morality when it comes to gaming. I will remind you that what you think is right (or wrong) is hardly the be all end all.

Sometimes the obvious answer is obvious. It's an incentive from the retailer to purchase the product on their platform and not the competitors.

Perhaps it would irk you less if Sony and not Bungie was offering some exclusive content to get people to play Destiny on their platform?

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Saturday, February 23, 2013, 11:32 (4087 days ago) @ Revenant1988

You have a really odd sense of morality when it comes to gaming. I will remind you that what you think is right (or wrong) is hardly the be all end all.

That's true, but if a person doesn't live by their own principles, what else can they do? If a person doesn't speak up when they think something is wrong, how are they not a coward?

Sometimes the obvious answer is obvious. It's an incentive from the retailer to purchase the product on their platform and not the competitors.

I think the issue is that it's not being done by the retailer or the hardware manufacturer or even the publisher, but is apparently being done by the content creators themselves.

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Saturday, February 23, 2013, 15:04 (4087 days ago) @ General Vagueness

That's true, but if a person doesn't live by their own principles, what else can they do? If a person doesn't speak up when they think something is wrong, how are they not a coward?

Wat? It has nothing to do with Cody speaking up- He's pretty awesome at that. I think you are reading to deeply into that line.

I think the issue is that it's not being done by the retailer or the hardware manufacturer or even the publisher, but is apparently being done by the content creators themselves.

[image]

GV, did you even read my last post?

This is what I said to Cody:

"Perhaps it would irk you less if Sony and not Bungie was offering some exclusive content to get people to play Destiny on their platform?"

This is what you said above:

"I think the issue is that it's not being done by the retailer or the hardware manufacturer or even the publisher, but is apparently being done by the content creators themselves."

What you said is almost exactly what I said, except you make less sense.

Yes, he's upset that Bungie is offering some exclusive content on the PS3. That is not the question.

The question, is would it bug Cody LESS if it were SONY offering some exclusive content to Destiny that another platform wasn't getting.

I just...don't...

Sigh.....................

[image]

You know what, I even have an example

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Saturday, February 23, 2013, 15:21 (4087 days ago) @ Revenant1988

Years ago, I purchased Soul Caliber for the xbox. That game was available on the Xbox, PlayStation 2 and Game Cube.

It was made by the same studio.

Each console version of that game was exactly the same, except for one item: A single console specific character. Thank god the whole GAME wasn't console specific.

Xbox got Spawn.

GameCube got Link.

PlayStation 2 got someone from Tekken (I think).

I don't see anything wrong with that.

In this example, each console gets access to that game, for the same price. Everything is the exact same, with the exception of one playable character.

This is all hypothetical when it comes to Destiny, as we obviously don't know everything yet- but perhaps, Bungie is doing something exacly like that when it comes to the Xbox and Playstation version of Destiny.

Maybe the game is 100% the same, except for some cosmetic item. Who knows? Maybe there is a Sony specific God of War player skin, and a Microsoft specific Master Chief player skin. Hell, maybe its like TF2 and the hats. Who knows!

Either way, I really, truly, do not care.

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Saturday, February 23, 2013, 17:19 (4087 days ago) @ Revenant1988

Years ago, I purchased Soul Caliber for the xbox. That game was available on the Xbox, PlayStation 2 and Game Cube.

Each console version of that game was exactly the same, except for one item: A single console specific character. Thank god the whole GAME wasn't console specific.

I see what you did there

Maybe the game is 100% the same, except for some cosmetic item. Who knows? Maybe there is a Sony specific God of War player skin, and a Microsoft specific Master Chief player skin. Hell, maybe its like TF2 and the hats. Who knows!

We know it's not just something cosmetic because they said it was playable content. You can't play a skin or a hat. At minimum it would have to be something like an early perk or character or level that's outside of what other console players get or at least unlocked early.

Not that I'm worried but...

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Saturday, February 23, 2013, 17:31 (4087 days ago) @ General Vagueness

...I do hope that it's something like get access to a mission a month early or something. Really I trust Bungie though so I'm not worried.

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Saturday, February 23, 2013, 17:39 (4087 days ago) @ General Vagueness

I think that this tidbit of wisdom that was shared in another post is applicable here as well.
http://journal.neilgaiman.com/2009/05/entitlement-issues.html

I don't think there is anything wrong with Bungie's decision, whether the exclusive content is merely cosmetic or if it's gameplay related. Frankly, it's their game and they can do whatever the heck they want with it. If it really means that much to you to play every single bit of Destiny content, then just buy the PS4. Otherwise, I don't think your life will be so different if you miss a little bit of a video game. Some people need to grow up. And, G Vagueness, I'm not directing this at you in particular. This is just for people in general who complain about inconsequential crap like this.

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Saturday, February 23, 2013, 20:18 (4087 days ago) @ Mr Daax

I think that this tidbit of wisdom that was shared in another post is applicable here as well.
http://journal.neilgaiman.com/2009/05/entitlement-issues.html

I don't think there is anything wrong with Bungie's decision, whether the exclusive content is merely cosmetic or if it's gameplay related. Frankly, it's their game and they can do whatever the heck they want with it. If it really means that much to you to play every single bit of Destiny content, then just buy the PS4. Otherwise, I don't think your life will be so different if you miss a little bit of a video game. Some people need to grow up. And, G Vagueness, I'm not directing this at you in particular. This is just for people in general who complain about inconsequential crap like this.

I just have a problem if whatever it is is not inconsequential, like if it gives someone an advantage or keeps people out of areas they would otherwise be able to get to. It's not about me or any other particular person or group being able to have or get everything, it's about fairness to people with different consoles.

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Saturday, February 23, 2013, 21:00 (4087 days ago) @ General Vagueness

While I appreciate discussion with a fellow fan, this particular discussion, my friend, feels pretty pointless. I get that you think it's unfair, you made that point enough times. And I and others have made our points disagreeing with you. I think it's best if we leave it at that.

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Saturday, February 23, 2013, 22:09 (4087 days ago) @ Mr Daax

While I appreciate discussion with a fellow fan, this particular discussion, my friend, feels pretty pointless. I get that you think it's unfair, you made that point enough times. And I and others have made our points disagreeing with you.

I didn't if you were disagreeing with that until now.

I think it's best if we leave it at that.

OK
here's hoping we enjoy Destiny whatever we play it on

I'll drink to that!

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Saturday, February 23, 2013, 23:25 (4087 days ago) @ General Vagueness

- No text -

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Saturday, February 23, 2013, 19:22 (4087 days ago) @ General Vagueness

I see what you did there

We know it's not just something cosmetic because they said it was playable content.

No, you don't.

You can't play a skin or a hat.

And how the hell is a skin not "playable"? If it goes on your character or weapon and you are using it then you are PLAYING it.

At minimum it would have to be something like an early perk or character or level >that's outside of what other console players get or at least unlocked early.

Again, how do you know this?

Enlighten me.

I really, really doubt that it will be some gameplay mission/level/chapter, perk/modifier. Besides, we don't even KNOW how its going to be yet. There may not be "missions" and "levels" as we've come to know them.

This is pointless, and a waste of time.

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Saturday, February 23, 2013, 20:22 (4087 days ago) @ Revenant1988
edited by General Vagueness, Saturday, February 23, 2013, 20:27

We know it's not just something cosmetic because they said it was playable content.

No, you don't.

You can't play a skin or a hat.

And how the hell is a skin not "playable"? If it goes on your character or weapon and you are using it then you are PLAYING it.

I defy you to find anyone who talks about a weapon or skin or emblem or hat or design in English and says they're playing it.

At minimum it would have to be something like an early perk or character or level >that's outside of what other console players get or at least unlocked early.

Again, how do you know this?

Enlighten me.

If they told me I was getting exclusive playable content for something and it turned out to be some emblems, weapon skins, and hats, I'd feel like I was ripped off and/or lied to, so I guess it comes down to which thing you (or I) think Bungie's more likely to do.

Agree with GV ...

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Sunday, February 24, 2013, 15:33 (4086 days ago) @ General Vagueness

at least as far as "playable" means "affects play" in some form or another. Skins don't affect play in any substantive sense.

by minasodaboy ⌂ @, Madison, Friday, February 22, 2013, 16:24 (4088 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Didn't Bungie just spend the last ten years making exclusive playable content for a platform?

(I'm also pretty sure that whatever is exclusive won't make or break the Destiny experience.)

by Mercury, Chicago, IL, Friday, February 22, 2013, 21:00 (4088 days ago) @ minasodaboy

Didn't Bungie just spend the last ten years making exclusive playable content for a platform?

(I'm also pretty sure that whatever is exclusive won't make or break the Destiny experience.)

Exactly, most of the experience is better than none at all... I understand the whole mastery oriented obsession with playing a complete game on whatever available system there is, I do, I was there once. But I don't have time to play every part of every game anymore, and I have no problem knowing someone else is playing something I can't.

If Bungie has to play the game so I can play their game, great. Will some part of teenage, obsessive, perseverative mercury be sad? Sure, but he was sad a lot anyhow.

The worst would be exclusive content for multiple platforms

by Flynn J Taggart, Friday, February 22, 2013, 17:02 (4088 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I'm thinking Mass Effect pre-order DLC exclusives levels of bad. Basically, PS4 gets one set of exclusives only available to that console, 360 gets one set of exclusives only available to that console, etc.

Wait… *playable*?

by kapowaz, Saturday, February 23, 2013, 02:32 (4088 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I was watching the announcement presentation and I'm fairly certain what they said was ‘exclusive content’ — the introduction of that word massively changes the meaning of the sentence. Maybe I wasn't paying attention but perhaps could you confirm the source of that line? Otherwise this is putting the carriage before about a million horses.

Wait… *playable*?

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Saturday, February 23, 2013, 11:41 (4087 days ago) @ kapowaz

I was watching the announcement presentation and I'm fairly certain what they said was ‘exclusive content’ — the introduction of that word massively changes the meaning of the sentence. Maybe I wasn't paying attention but perhaps could you confirm the source of that line? Otherwise this is putting the carriage before about a million horses.

I just watched it and they did say "playable". Although I don't like it, I wouldn't care too much if it was stuff like the Reach and Halo 4 pre-order bonuses or the exclusive characters in recent editions of Soul Caliber*. This makes it sound like it's a bit bigger than that, though.

* that was the one, right? I'm thinking of the series that had the non-canon Spartan in one game if you got it for the Xbox, and in another game you could have Darth Vader or Yoda depending on which console you got it for

Wait… *playable*?

by AncientHelix, Saturday, February 23, 2013, 11:47 (4087 days ago) @ General Vagueness

Soul calibur 2 had link for GameCube, heihachi for ps2 and spawn for Xbox, the spartan was in dead or alive 4 I believe, and yoda/vader were in SC 4 for 360 and ps3. But IMO exclusives aren't a big deal and bungie said in the mail sack that all versions intend to bring you the Full Destiny Experience, so I'm not even gonna sweat it and hope for Xbox exclusive doodads as well

Wait… *playable*?

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Sunday, February 24, 2013, 00:13 (4087 days ago) @ General Vagueness

* that was the one, right? I'm thinking of the series that had the non-canon Spartan in one game if you got it for the Xbox, and in another game you could have Darth Vader or Yoda depending on which console you got it for

From what others have said here, Soul Calibur has done that. But since you mentioned a Spartan, I believe you're thinking of Dead or Alive. DoA 4 had an S-II.

lol, i specifically mentioned this in the original thread

by GrimBrother One, Saturday, February 23, 2013, 12:22 (4087 days ago) @ kapowaz

Earlier this week. That's what surprised me too

by Stephen Laughlin ⌂ @, Long Beach, CA, Saturday, February 23, 2013, 23:20 (4087 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I'm assuming at this point that it's just some meaningless marketing-speak and every platform will receive some kind of unique exclusive content. If not, I'll almost certainly just end up going with whatever system it looks like Bungie is supporting most heavily again. Back when Halo was still in development I remember planning to hold out for the PC version. On release day that idea lasted about two minutes before I found myself happily fondling a copy of Halo for the Xbox. Ideally I'd like to see some major PC support for Destiny, but I'll probably end up getting one of the next generation consoles anyway so I'm not really concerned.

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Sunday, February 24, 2013, 00:41 (4087 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I'd reply to this but it's probably better to just get back to editing the podcast...

The objection is just silly, though. Relatively minor timed exclusive roughly equivalent DLC for major cross-platform titles is just a feature of the landscape these days and not really worth getting your panties in a bunch over.

by Stephen Laughlin ⌂ @, Long Beach, CA, Sunday, February 24, 2013, 19:10 (4086 days ago) @ narcogen

I'd reply to this but it's probably better to just get back to editing the podcast...

The objection is just silly, though. Relatively minor timed exclusive roughly equivalent DLC for major cross-platform titles is just a feature of the landscape these days and not really worth getting your panties in a bunch over.

Yeah, this is about all that needs to be said.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread