Tower Sexual Harassment (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, July 22, 2014, 22:14 (3571 days ago)
edited by Cody Miller, Tuesday, July 22, 2014, 22:20

So my Guardian is a woman.

For whatever reason, this type of thing has only happened today, but in the tower some creepy awoken guy was following me around as I was redeeming bounties and engrams and stuff. He kept dancing on me. I figured I'd pick up the ghosts I missed and maybe he'd leave me alone.

Well, this guy kept following me for like 10 minutes. I figured I'd sit down to indicate I'm done /afk whatever, and what does he do? He walks up and positions himself so it's like he's getting a blowjob from me.

It happened a second time, with a different person. Just weirdly following me around…

Such a strange experience. It was a bit unnerving. Now I kinda know how it feels.

The tower sucks.

Yep

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Tuesday, July 22, 2014, 22:26 (3571 days ago) @ Cody Miller

This isn't anything new to the Tower or the Cosmodrome, though.

Yep

by Hyokin, New York, Tuesday, July 22, 2014, 23:19 (3571 days ago) @ Grizzlei

Some guy did that to Emmy, dancing around her and trying to position himself in awkward ways.

I marched right up and pointed at him repeatedly.

He got angry and left.

Yep

by Schooly D, TSD Gaming Condo, TX, Wednesday, July 23, 2014, 09:44 (3571 days ago) @ Hyokin

Some guy did that to Emmy, dancing around her and trying to position himself in awkward ways.

I marched right up and pointed at him repeatedly.

He got angry and left.

In 50,000 years, after society has collapsed and been rebuilt, there will be textbooks chronicling the decline and near-demise of humanity. A screencap of this post will appear about midway through the book as a succinct embodiment of everything that went wrong.

It's always nice to contribute to history. :D

by Hyokin, New York, Wednesday, July 23, 2014, 10:12 (3571 days ago) @ Schooly D

- No text -

Tower Sexual Harassment

by Phoenix_9286 @, Tuesday, July 22, 2014, 23:57 (3571 days ago) @ Cody Miller

My first experience in the Tower was as follows.

I teleport down, I think, "Wow, this is pretty cool, hell of a view!", control is released to me, I see a dozen people running everywhere, I turn to the right, annnnnd watch a guy commit suicide, "Whelp. That just sucked all the wonder out of everything."

I don't have a problem with the Tower as a system. I do take issue with how huge it is. Ton of space, not much to do.

It's a similar story with the emotes. I don't have a problem with them, but it's awkward as hell to be looking at your inventory in Russia, all alone, and then pop out and find some random guy dancing in your face.

Tower Sexual Harassment

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, July 23, 2014, 00:57 (3571 days ago) @ Cody Miller

It happened a second time, with a different person. Just weirdly following me around…

Such a strange experience. It was a bit unnerving. Now I kinda know how it feels.

I was playing with a friend the other day, and no less than THREE times she had this happen to her during our session. She would laugh it off, but it did get pretty annoying how long these guys persisted...

There IS a report function built into Destiny, which is nice, and I've been wondering what exactly it does, and if behavior like this is worth reporting. Ultimately, it comes off as an annoyance more than anything; like a mosquito you can't quite get rid of... But who knows, maybe girls see it differently: Sammy just dances back and doesn't make a big deal about it...

Some girls see it differently (super relevant article)

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Wednesday, July 23, 2014, 01:42 (3571 days ago) @ Korny

In the way that some dudes can take a punch in the face and smile back.

Looking forward to reporting creeps like this.

This article is super relevant

Relevant Article

by DaDerga, Baile Átha Cliath, Wednesday, July 23, 2014, 02:44 (3571 days ago) @ kidtsunami

Thanks for posting that link. A worthy read.

This stood out to me

by SonofMacPhisto @, Wednesday, July 23, 2014, 10:18 (3571 days ago) @ DaDerga

"One of the consequences is that men are extremely sensitive to being criticized by women. I think it threatens them in a very primal way, and male privilege makes them feel free to lash out."

I don't doubt this statement for a moment.

Since college, I've had three bosses/supervisors that were woman, and they stand out as paragons. My current supervisor stands to join their ranks. I can say for sure about one male boss. Most were inept fools, with little to no sense of leadership.

To react negatively to feedback from a woman is just... I don't even know. Stupidity beyond belief.

This stood out to me

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, July 23, 2014, 11:36 (3571 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

"One of the consequences is that men are extremely sensitive to being criticized by women. I think it threatens them in a very primal way, and male privilege makes them feel free to lash out."

Since college, I've had three bosses/supervisors that were woman, and they stand out as paragons. My current supervisor stands to join their ranks. I can say for sure about one male boss. Most were inept fools, with little to no sense of leadership.

To react negatively to feedback from a woman is just... I don't even know. Stupidity beyond belief.

The best boss I've ever had is a woman. Thankfully, she's still my boss, and has been for 15 years. And yes, I'm talking about a boss at my job, not a wife or girlfriend.

This stood out to me

by SonofMacPhisto @, Wednesday, July 23, 2014, 21:34 (3570 days ago) @ Kermit

The best boss I've ever had is a woman. Thankfully, she's still my boss, and has been for 15 years. And yes, I'm talking about a boss at my job, not a wife or girlfriend.

Amen, bro. And lol @ my typo. THAT WERE WOMAN. Women. Women. Gah death to typos.

Tower Sexual Harassment

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, July 23, 2014, 02:45 (3571 days ago) @ Korny

What exactly was the harassment in that video? I couldn't tell. I've had somebody do the crotch in face thing to my female character once. Another time a guy followed me around, and I just committed suicide and he either never found me or ignored me after. I think one reason that collisions are turned off is to reduce the opportunity for griefing.

Tower Sexual Harassment

by kapowaz, Wednesday, July 23, 2014, 02:56 (3571 days ago) @ Korny

I have to wonder how much this kind of creeping behaviour is a consequence of not having anything else to do in The Tower (as well as creepy men being at the controls).

Tower Sexual Harassment

by Avateur @, Wednesday, July 23, 2014, 06:49 (3571 days ago) @ kapowaz

You also have to take the random factor into account. A group of us was slow walking and creep crouching around all sorts of random people in the Tower yesterday to see what they'd do. I don't know if they were male or female avatars or characters. We just randomly did it to randoms walking by. Achievement Unlocked: Unbiased Creepers.

Men are Pigs.

by DEEP_NNN, Wednesday, July 23, 2014, 05:03 (3571 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Anonymous men are Pigs absolutely.

Hearing my female gamer friends get harassed online is so disappointing. Each event was so unexpected that I remained like a deer in the headlights, not knowing what to do.

The best thing I can do is to be nice to my friend.

Men are Pigs.

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Wednesday, July 23, 2014, 05:12 (3571 days ago) @ DEEP_NNN

Anonymous men are Pigs absolutely.

Hearing my female gamer friends get harassed online is so disappointing. Each event was so unexpected that I remained like a deer in the headlights, not knowing what to do.

The best thing I can do is to be nice to my friend.

You can also call out sexist behavior in the community, both while playing the game and outside of the game. Being nice and supportive is also a great way to be a positive part of the community :-)

The Tower, just a wretched hive of scum and villainy.

by Kalamari @, Waiting for Ghorn, FB, and BH, Wednesday, July 23, 2014, 09:49 (3571 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread