Call me a n00b, but... (Destiny)

by Oholiab @, Tuesday, July 22, 2014, 23:12 (3571 days ago)

...do I have to play through the four stories before I can simply explore?

...can I not summon my sparrow during a story mission?

...what does it mean when enemies are immune to my shots? Need a better weapon?

...why does the crucible not show up on my menu of choices in orbit?

I feel like an idiot asking these.

Call me a n00b, but...

by Zero @, Florida, Tuesday, July 22, 2014, 23:17 (3571 days ago) @ Oholiab

At least the intro mission, but after you get to the tower you can pretty much do whatever you want.

Depends on the area really, when you bring up your ghost it should tell you in the lower left corner if you can summon it or not.

No, that basically means they are really immune. Too high of a level to even scratch them even. You'll be able to tackle them once the full game comes out.

You have to accept the invitation from the Crucible Quartermaster first.

Don't be, that's why we're here!

Call me a n00b, but...

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Tuesday, July 22, 2014, 23:23 (3571 days ago) @ Oholiab

Nope! I believe you can explore the Tower and the Cosmodrome as soon as you get your jumpship and visit the Tower for the first time.

Press the select (PS)/back (Xbox) button on your controller and the option will present itself should you be in a spawnable location. You need to be outdoors or in a sizable enclosed space like a lobby or something.

Might be an error. I know that the Dregs and Hive at the Grottos are immune to all damage. Just pump them full of more lead and pulses, and see how the situation plays out.

When you reach Level 5 a message awaits you from Lord Straxx, the Crucible master, and talking to him will allow you to take part in the Crucible.

Don't worry. We're all idiots. We should get matching tees!

Call me a n00b, but...

by Oholiab @, Tuesday, July 22, 2014, 23:29 (3571 days ago) @ Oholiab

Thanks! That's helpful.

So... How do I actually select explore mode? From orbit? All I have on earth are the four story options.

As for summoning the sparrow, I was in an open area with three other people. They summoned theirs, but I was unable to do so. Because I was in story mode?

Really enjoying the game! I'm in overload...

Call me a n00b, but...

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Tuesday, July 22, 2014, 23:38 (3571 days ago) @ Oholiab

Thanks! That's helpful.

So... How do I actually select explore mode? From orbit? All I have on earth are the four story options.

The first option when you choose Old Russia, Earth should be the explore spawn east of the Mothyard. You can select any other mission too, really. Old Russia is a huge map and missions can be completed from many different angles. Plus you can simply not choose to do the mission and just go off and do your own thing. However, I don't know if public events and such will occur for you.

As for summoning the sparrow, I was in an open area with three other people. They summoned theirs, but I was unable to do so. Because I was in story mode?

I wondered this myself and it randomly showed up when I looked one session. Might want to do some Google-fu for this.

Call me a n00b, but... *IMG*

by Oholiab @, Tuesday, July 22, 2014, 23:57 (3571 days ago) @ Grizzlei

Thanks! That's helpful.

The first option when you choose Old Russia, Earth should be the explore spawn east of the Mothyard. You can select any other mission too, really. Old Russia is a huge map and missions can be completed from many different angles. Plus you can simply not choose to do the mission and just go off and do your own thing. However, I don't know if public events and such will occur for you.

I believe you. Really, I do. So this is what I see in orbit... Hopefully I linked it correctly. No other options but story. I've played through two stories. I'm on a 360. Am I really just this stupid?

[image]

Call me a n00b, but...

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, July 22, 2014, 23:41 (3571 days ago) @ Oholiab

You gain your sparrow during one of the story missions. I believe it's the level 4 mission.

Call me a n00b, but...

by Phoenix_9286 @, Wednesday, July 23, 2014, 00:06 (3571 days ago) @ Oholiab

Thanks! That's helpful.

Really enjoying the game! I'm in overload...

I was about to jump in to express the same things, but just noticed that "Explore" has unlocked as an option. I just hit level five and completed "The Dark Within", so perhaps that has something to do with it.

No idea about the Sparrow yet. I was able to spawn it once, immediately after returning to Russia the first time. Haven't been able to since. It actually hasn't bothered me too much, I kinda prefer walking, and it means I don't miss anything interesting.

Call me a n00b, but...

by Oholiab @, Wednesday, July 23, 2014, 00:23 (3571 days ago) @ Phoenix_9286

I was about to jump in to express the same things, but just noticed that "Explore" has unlocked as an option. I just hit level five and completed "The Dark Within", so perhaps that has something to do with it.

Thanks! Maybe that's the issue: I'm only just about to hit level 4 and "the dark within" is my next story mission.

Call me a n00b, but...

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, July 23, 2014, 00:36 (3571 days ago) @ Oholiab

Thanks! Maybe that's the issue: I'm only just about to hit level 4 and "the dark within" is my next story mission.

You get the sparrow on the mission after that one, and explore mode unlocks once you get it.

Call me a n00b, but...

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Wednesday, July 23, 2014, 05:54 (3571 days ago) @ Phoenix_9286

No idea about the Sparrow yet. I was able to spawn it once, immediately after returning to Russia the first time. Haven't been able to since.

Yeah I had the same thing! I spawned the sparrow after I first got to Russia and rode around--but since then I've not been able to. Very weird... but I'm not at the "sparrow getting mission" just yet. I've been taking my time and exploring all the things. This game is going to end me

Call me a n00b, but...

by Phoenix_9286 @, Wednesday, July 23, 2014, 09:04 (3571 days ago) @ JDQuackers

I've been taking my time and exploring all the things. This game is going to end me

I feel you. It was an hour and a half before I left the starting area. And every time I start for an objective, or arrive, something else catches my eye and I turn around or pass it by.

I'm loving it so far.

Call me a n00b, but...

by bluerunner @, Music City, Wednesday, July 23, 2014, 09:09 (3571 days ago) @ Phoenix_9286

I'm glad we have an arrow on the radar and waypoints because I get sidetracked a lot and eventually forget what I'm supposed to be doing in a mission. It's going to take me forever to finish the campaign.

Call me a n00b, but...

by CaneCutter @, Alabama, Wednesday, July 23, 2014, 10:11 (3571 days ago) @ bluerunner

I'm glad we have an arrow on the radar and waypoints because I get sidetracked a lot and eventually forget what I'm supposed to be doing in a mission. It's going to take me forever to finish the campaign.

I also wouldn't mind a compass. I think that would help locating/remembering places in this expansive world.

- CC

Call me a n00b, but...

by Phoenix_9286 @, Wednesday, July 23, 2014, 14:23 (3571 days ago) @ CaneCutter

I also wouldn't mind a compass. I think that would help locating/remembering places in this expansive world.

- CC

This. That would be super useful. Last night I caught myself using the position of the sun as reference for East/West, but a compass would be so much more useful.

Call me a n00b, but...

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Wednesday, July 23, 2014, 09:30 (3571 days ago) @ Phoenix_9286

I've been taking my time and exploring all the things. This game is going to end me

I feel you. It was an hour and a half before I left the starting area. And every time I start for an objective, or arrive, something else catches my eye and I turn around or pass it by.

I'm loving it so far.

Yeah, same here... I keep having constant, "oh! what's that?" moments.

Also, am I not looking in the right spots or is there no way to see any progress on your active bounties?

Call me a n00b, but...

by bluerunner @, Music City, Wednesday, July 23, 2014, 09:32 (3571 days ago) @ JDQuackers

Open the menu, tab over to inventory, and the bounties are near the bottom.

Call me a n00b, but...

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Wednesday, July 23, 2014, 09:52 (3571 days ago) @ bluerunner

Ah, sweet! Thank you :)

How do I get my cloak?

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Wednesday, July 23, 2014, 13:19 (3571 days ago) @ Oholiab

I'm a level 8 hunter and I still don't have a cloak! What gives? How do I get my cloak!?

How do I get my cloak?

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, July 23, 2014, 13:21 (3571 days ago) @ ManKitten

I'm a level 8 hunter and I still don't have a cloak! What gives? How do I get my cloak!?

You have to find encrypted engrams for them, or buy the engrams from the Cryptarch. The ones that aren't a weapon or armor are always a class item.

How do I get my cloak?

by bluerunner @, Music City, Wednesday, July 23, 2014, 13:32 (3571 days ago) @ Xenos

It took me a long while to get my first, so I bought a cool one from the Iron Banner guy last weekend. I've had a couple drop since then. Wish we had access to shaders.

How do I get my cloak?

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Wednesday, July 23, 2014, 13:50 (3571 days ago) @ bluerunner

Where's this Iron Banner jabronie? I'm so lost in this game.

How do I get my cloak?

by bluerunner @, Music City, Wednesday, July 23, 2014, 14:10 (3571 days ago) @ ManKitten

When you fist arrive at the Tower, look straight ahead at the back wall of the plaza. There's a slotted gate that blocks off an area. He's back there but you can only go see him when they have an Iron Banner event, which will probably happen this weekend. I had early access last weekend so that's the only way I was able to get to him. Win a couple of games and have 2000 glimmer and he will sell you a cloak with wolves on the hood and a tree design on the back. It looks good.

How do I get my cloak?

by RC ⌂, UK, Wednesday, July 23, 2014, 14:42 (3571 days ago) @ ManKitten

Where's this Iron Banner jabronie? I'm so lost in this game.

It's a time-limited Crucible playlist. I expect it'll come back later this week for the Xbox folk.

You need to talk to the Bounty bot and take all the Iron Banner challenges before going into the playlist to take full advtange of it. Once you've been in the playlist and unlock one or two, you talk to this guy in a specially unlocked area at the top rear of the plaza - behind where the Bounty bot stands. He'll hook you up with sweet class items, an emblem and a shader (for several thousand glimmer).

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread