Creating fire team issues (Destiny)

by Earendil, Thursday, July 24, 2014, 11:07 (3570 days ago)

I've done a bunch of searching via google, but can't find answers.
I'm having an issue where either:
1. It's a bug
2. We're doing it wrong.

Scenario: For the beta I have an XBox 360, my brother has an XBox 1. We're playing in the same house. We experience no other network or profile issues. We are both XBox "friends", and have been for years, so that is all set up correctly.

The issue: When we get into Destiny, both of us at level 6, we are allowed the option to invite each other to our fireteam, but the other person receives no notification, and no way (that we've found) to accept the invite. We've tried both ways, we've tried making our fireteams public, but nothing seems to work.

Has anyone experienced something like this? Or are we missing a game mechanic that allows this to happen? This was happening yesterday around 7pm PST. We'll be trying again today and hopefully it works. Destiny is fun and all, but we've always enjoyed tackling games like this together.

Creating fire team issues

by petetheduck, Thursday, July 24, 2014, 11:12 (3570 days ago) @ Earendil

I've done a bunch of searching via google, but can't find answers.
I'm having an issue where either:
1. It's a bug
2. We're doing it wrong.

Scenario: For the beta I have an XBox 360, my brother has an XBox 1. We're playing in the same house. We experience no other network or profile issues. We are both XBox "friends", and have been for years, so that is all set up correctly.

The issue: When we get into Destiny, both of us at level 6, we are allowed the option to invite each other to our fireteam, but the other person receives no notification, and no way (that we've found) to accept the invite. We've tried both ways, we've tried making our fireteams public, but nothing seems to work.

Has anyone experienced something like this? Or are we missing a game mechanic that allows this to happen? This was happening yesterday around 7pm PST. We'll be trying again today and hopefully it works. Destiny is fun and all, but we've always enjoyed tackling games like this together.

You can't play together across generations. Xbox 360 players can only play with Xbox 360 players, etc.

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Thursday, July 24, 2014, 11:23 (3569 days ago) @ petetheduck

You can't play together across generations. Xbox 360 players can only play with Xbox 360 players, etc.

Yeah, they clarified this in the most recent Weekly Update. I'm surprised the option is even there... that almost seems (to me) to suggest that Bungie had considered it/worked on it at some point, but forgot to remove it from the game for the Beta build. Unless there's no way for them to know because of the way that Xbox Live reports friends playing XBO games on your friends list and doesn't really clarify which platform they are on...

Can you create an XBL Party that is cross platform and use voice chat?

by Earendil, Thursday, July 24, 2014, 11:28 (3569 days ago) @ JDQuackers

Actually, creating an XBox party routinely hung his XBox One, but we considered that a genuine bug :)

According to the link I just found on the subject, the choice to seperate the platforms and generations was not based on a technical hurdle, but a social one.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2014/07/21/bungie-explains-why-destiny-doesnt-have-cross-platform-play/

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Thursday, July 24, 2014, 22:07 (3569 days ago) @ JDQuackers

No, but you're allowed to send invites regardless of which platform someone's on currently. That's an XBL thing and is true for more than just Destiny.

by Earendil, Thursday, July 24, 2014, 11:26 (3569 days ago) @ petetheduck

How did I miss this information? :(
And while I suppose it's a beta, it'd have been nice if Bungie put a quick bit of info in the game that alluded that such invites weren't supported.
Without allowing multiple players on the same XBox, and many households having multiple generations of consoles, it seems like we can't be the first ones to try this and expect it to work...

After a few searches I did find this reference.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2014/07/21/bungie-explains-why-destiny-doesnt-have-cross-platform-play/

That really bites...

also, mic issues.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, July 24, 2014, 12:47 (3569 days ago) @ Earendil

How did I miss this information? :(
And while I suppose it's a beta, it'd have been nice if Bungie put a quick bit of info in the game that alluded that such invites weren't supported.
Without allowing multiple players on the same XBox, and many households having multiple generations of consoles, it seems like we can't be the first ones to try this and expect it to work...

After a few searches I did find this reference.

That really bites...

I had the opposite expectation, but if this did work I suspect we'd have heard A LOT about it by now. I don't think you can even create chat parties across generations of consoles, and that's not in Bungie's control.

Another problem I've had is negotiating the nuances between the platform's party and the game's party, and issues communicating while in different states. Last night while on the Xbox One the only way I could hear my buddy who was in a party with me was by leaving the snap party open, reducing the size of the screen. Afterwards I thought it might have something to do with the Blended Voice mode in Destiny. I'd had weird problems on a PS4 with that, too. Problems that went away when I chose headset only.

I don't really understand how blended voice mode is supposed to work. Also, if you choose speaker only, are other players' voices positioned appropriately within the surround sound space? If so, that would be pretty cool to try.

Kermit

also, mic issues.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Thursday, July 24, 2014, 22:12 (3569 days ago) @ Kermit

Another problem I've had is negotiating the nuances between the platform's party and the game's party, and issues communicating while in different states. Last night while on the Xbox One the only way I could hear my buddy who was in a party with me was by leaving the snap party open, reducing the size of the screen.

I'm guessing the issue there is that you were getting out of the snap mode by pressing B. That will actually exit the party. Instead, use the "unsnap" option - either say the "XBox, unsnap" voice command, or... actually I forget how to do it with the controller right now but I'm sure you can. That will remove the snap but still leave the party running in the background.

also, mic issues.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, July 25, 2014, 08:46 (3569 days ago) @ stabbim

Another problem I've had is negotiating the nuances between the platform's party and the game's party, and issues communicating while in different states. Last night while on the Xbox One the only way I could hear my buddy who was in a party with me was by leaving the snap party open, reducing the size of the screen.

I'm guessing the issue there is that you were getting out of the snap mode by pressing B. That will actually exit the party. Instead, use the "unsnap" option - either say the "XBox, unsnap" voice command, or... actually I forget how to do it with the controller right now but I'm sure you can. That will remove the snap but still leave the party running in the background.

We did unsnap the party but then we couldn't hear each other. I later thought it was because we didn't switch to game chat, which I discovered was an option. Last night using that feature worked some of the time, but other times we'd be in the same fireteam and could see our speaker icons working, but we couldn't hear each other.

Maybe you could give me a tutorial tonight?

It's not just you...

by nash, Friday, July 25, 2014, 12:29 (3568 days ago) @ Kermit

... and Bungie's aware:

http://www.xboxachievements.com/news/news-18766-Bungie-Offers-Destiny-Beta-Xbox-One-Party-Chat-Workaround.html

We did unsnap the party but then we couldn't hear each other. I later thought it was because we didn't switch to game chat, which I discovered was an option. Last night using that feature worked some of the time, but other times we'd be in the same fireteam and could see our speaker icons working, but we couldn't hear each other.

It's not just you...

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, July 25, 2014, 12:47 (3568 days ago) @ nash

... and Bungie's aware:

http://www.xboxachievements.com/news/news-18766-Bungie-Offers-Destiny-Beta-Xbox-One-Party-Chat-Workaround.html

That explains the first issue, and maybe the second. They imply that "Switch to game chat" works, but it didn't last night. Maybe that was a strict NAT issue, though.

Thanks for posting!

It's not just you...

by nash, Friday, July 25, 2014, 13:19 (3568 days ago) @ Kermit

That explains the first issue, and maybe the second. They imply that "Switch to game chat" works, but it didn't last night. Maybe that was a strict NAT issue, though.

Thanks for posting!

No problem! Yeah, maybe your gamechat issue was NAT related -- that's one of the few things that's worked for me as expected on the XB1. I found that article because I was having my ownXB1 struggles -- how to send a voice message (not possible) and how to join a fireteam without receiving an invitation (very counterintuitive as there is no in-game option like on the 360 version of the beta).

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread