Crucible - please kill me now. Too late, I'm already dead. (Destiny)

by yakaman, Friday, July 25, 2014, 21:56 (3568 days ago)

Let me count the ways:

1. Super fast death because cool effects.
2. How many times can I die without seeing who was even shooting?
3. First seen, first dead.
4. God help you if you run into someone in a vehicle.
5. I need to get spawn killed more on the moon. It amazing fun.
6. People complained that ordinance drops in Halo 4 created rolling momentum - holy balls, this is 15 times worse.
7. I think snipers should be more one-shot somehow. Like, maybe if you get sniped you die, respawn, and then die again.
8. I love the Scout Rifle. Too bad everything under the sun (or moon) is one-shot. It sure sounds nice and feels satisfying until I take a sniper bullet to the chest and die super-amazingly.
9. More blowouts than I can count. I'd love to have a close game.
10. I've dominated a few games by camping with shotgun, waiting for heavy ammo, waiting for super. Rinse, repeat. And then stab me in the eyes because that's a god-awful way to play.
11. I need more sequences where I get golden-gunned, golden-gunned again, nova bombed, sniped, sniped, sniped, and nova bombed.

I absolutely love Story, Strike, Explore, etc, but the Crucible actually makes me not want to get this game. It's like they purposefully set out to make the most annoying MP experience possible. My friends and I had the most fabulous time in the Stirke, but the Crucible was like someone tossed a dead skunk into our party. That shit cleared out the room before I could blink.

I've stuck it out, gone back again for more because I'm some sort of glutton for punishment - I can't put the words together to express how negative my MP experience has been. Yikes.

Crucible - please kill me now. Too late, I'm already dead.

by Hyokin, New York, Friday, July 25, 2014, 23:09 (3568 days ago) @ yakaman

I've got bits and pieces that bother me about Destiny, but overall I absolutely love the game and think it's a fantastic start for Bungie's next 10-years.

The one exception... is the Crucible.

It just... I don't know. It's just not doing it for me either. :(

Agreed, however...

by EffortlessFury @, Saturday, July 26, 2014, 06:27 (3568 days ago) @ Hyokin

I've had much better luck, ironically, in the Iron Banner. Haven't won a single game of Control in regular Crucible, but I've won more than I've lost in Iron Banner.

Agreed, however...

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Saturday, July 26, 2014, 09:44 (3568 days ago) @ EffortlessFury

That's probably not surprising if your gear is fairly good.

by Jordan117 @, Ala-blam!-a, Friday, July 25, 2014, 23:15 (3568 days ago) @ yakaman

LOL. This has been my experience, too. The story/explore/campaign mode is really fun -- almost too easy -- but multiplayer has been brutally unforgiving.

One thing to consider -- have you been playing a lot of Iron Banner? The IB playlist retains bonuses from upgraded gear, so somebody with top-tier armor and weapons can steamroll you if you're unprepared.

If you're talking regular multiplayer, I don't know what to tell you. I've shotgunned people in the face point-blank and still managed to die first. The only thing I can say is that maybe the beta matchmaking is not capable of reliably sorting people by skill given the short timeframe -- I've seen some awfully unbalanced teams and outcomes so far, even after just a few games.

(Also, is it just me or does the shield system seem much weaker than in Halo? There seems to be much less time to react once attacked before you're dead.)

by kapowaz, Friday, July 25, 2014, 23:45 (3568 days ago) @ Jordan117

If you're talking regular multiplayer, I don't know what to tell you. I've shotgunned people in the face point-blank and still managed to die first. The only thing I can say is that maybe the beta matchmaking is not capable of reliably sorting people by skill given the short timeframe -- I've seen some awfully unbalanced teams and outcomes so far, even after just a few games.

(Also, is it just me or does the shield system seem much weaker than in Halo? There seems to be much less time to react once attacked before you're dead.)

All of the above resonate with me. I've gotten the jump on people with a shotgun only to watch them strafe around and kill me with an auto rifle within a second, with me having landed one good and two glancing shots. God knows if this was latency or just bad luck or what, but it's happened too many times. I've had kills where the other guy runs around a corner as I'm shooting and they've still dropped dead.

We need more health or shields or whatever to make sure combat lasts a bit longer, and so slower, longer-range weapons are still viable. But there's a lot to fix here if they're going to make it something I want to play a lot.

by yaters, Saturday, July 26, 2014, 21:03 (3567 days ago) @ Jordan117

I've had the same experiences. It can be fun at times but more frustrating than any of the halo games. I'm not adjusting the to nuances very well. And I typically just give a 'sigh' when the moon map comes up.
The maps are beautiful but I'm not thrilled with the design. I typically like clear lines of site rather than tight areas, but with everyone having a sniper to start I see a faint glow in the distance and then start the re-spawn wheel again...

It might be a personal thing for me though. I'm not a huge fan of the control game type. It just feels like I'm so distracted with the announcer telling me which zones are lost or gained. A lot more on the HUD as well. I prefer the CTF or slayer games, and maybe the 3 vs 3 hopper will work out well.

I was told by a Bungie employee that there is no skill matching at all in the beta. I really hope that improves my experience. And there aren't custom games in the shipping game (though they will try to add it later like TitanFall) - still a bummer.

Overall, I love the concept of this game. All the little things to do and discover and such a great mix of all the things I enjoy about other types of games. (On the moon today I veered off from the mission and found endless areas to explore...very exciting to find out what's around the next corner).

I'll play a lot of the full version of Destiny. But if the crucible doesn't improve it will feel like a let down.

It seems like it absolutely REQUIRES the best teamplay ever

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Saturday, July 26, 2014, 00:25 (3568 days ago) @ yakaman

Except you can't talk to your teammates...

I haven't been having an issue

by Chris101b @, Saturday, July 26, 2014, 01:36 (3568 days ago) @ yakaman

I absolutely love the crucible. I've been spending so much time there recently and will be really sad to see it go. In the beginning, I tried going the Pulse/scout rifle route and was getting slaughtered left and right. I then found my GLORIOUS auto rifle, fully upgraded it, and it has been a completely different story since. I have been getting 20+ kills consistently and even got the "10 kills without dying" Iron Banner bounty in my first game.

Destiny has been an extremely different multiplayer experience. I have been taking advantage of the vertical movement in order to throw off people that are chasing me in order to gain the upper hand and I've been destroying people at medium range with my auto rifle.

This isn't meant to be a "I'm really great at this game" reply, I only mean to explain that you can't play this game in the same way that you played Halo. It's a completely different experience. For me, I take things slow, pay SUPER close attention to my radar, and I never sprint into a fight. I will sprint until I see a blip on my radar, and then slow things down in order to insure a kill. I had to completely change the way I play multiplayer and it has really paid off. Also, map knowledge is key. Knowing where that blip on the radar corresponds to which area of the map has really helped me start putting bullets on people almost before they even round the corner.

If a gun isn't working for you, try something else.

Other than the above, I don't know what to say. The only frustrating thing that has occurred to me during the beta are the seemingly invincible people that you run into every once in a while. I would unload an entire clip into them at medium range, and their health wouldn't budge. Stuff like that bugs me, but at the moment I am in love with the multiplayer.

I still hate the Moon map though.

I haven't been having an issue

by yakaman, Saturday, July 26, 2014, 10:05 (3568 days ago) @ Chris101b

This isn't meant to be a "I'm really great at this game" reply, I only mean to explain that you can't play this game in the same way that you played Halo. It's a completely different experience. For me, I take things slow, pay SUPER close attention to my radar, and I never sprint into a fight. I will sprint until I see a blip on my radar, and then slow things down in order to insure a kill. I had to completely change the way I play multiplayer and it has really paid off. Also, map knowledge is key. Knowing where that blip on the radar corresponds to which area of the map has really helped me start putting bullets on people almost before they even round the corner.

Don't get me wrong - I don't doubt that there are people like yourself that are really enjoying and excelling at Crucible. It is a finely crafted experience - the controls, the ambiance, the announcer, the sound, the feel. It's just that personally, I hate dying fast and cheap, and that's just what happens in Crucible. Different game, different play style, etc.

I quickly tossed away my Pulse and Scout rifles, and roll only with the Auto - simply as a survival mechanism. But my experience in general has been marred by some of the same things others have described, like dying instantly from another Auto rifle while my has done nothing to them.

Eh, maybe it'll just take me a bit longer to "get it". Old bastard is old.

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Saturday, July 26, 2014, 02:50 (3568 days ago) @ yakaman

My first few games were so awful I immediately came here to complain about it, but I've gone back a few times with a different mindset (and a Titan! Because christ the other two classes have no health) and have been having a much better time.

I'm still fluctuating wildly (anything from 1.9 to 0.7), but at least In having fun now.

The moon map is so much better once all the cehicles have been destroyed though. Or if you're sitting in that ridiculous Interveptor monster.

by Jillybean, Saturday, July 26, 2014, 04:12 (3568 days ago) @ yakaman

I am not good at multiplayer - I never have been. I am like the worst handicap for my team in the Crucible. The best I can hope for is to draw some fire away from the rest of them. It is deeply unenjoyable.

by Durandal, Saturday, July 26, 2014, 05:48 (3568 days ago) @ yakaman

I've played 10 Crucible games, and lost them all, some by large margins. In the Iron matches there were two guys with auto rifles that would kill me in one or two shots every time even at medium range where my pulse rifle should have the advantage. I didn't get a chance to see their gear, but no matter my weapon setup I could not compete. I only killed them when I could get the drop, snipe or super them, and sometimes the super just gave a simultaneous kill. About half the games I was the #1 or #2 on my team, so I don't think it is solely due to poor skill.

It got very frustrating and tedious by the end of the night.

by TTL Demag0gue ⌂ @, Within the shadow of the Traveler, Saturday, July 26, 2014, 07:08 (3568 days ago) @ Durandal

I've discovered that if you don't go into the Crucible wielding a maxed out Cydonia AR3, your odds of being competitive diminish sharply.

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Saturday, July 26, 2014, 07:15 (3568 days ago) @ TTL Demag0gue

100% true in my experience, and I think a lot of my newfound enjoyment of Crucible play is related to finding a loadout Im happy with.

That said, my friend swears by his Sahara (awful, recoil-y thing that it is) and seems to be doing just fine.

by TTL Demag0gue ⌂ @, Within the shadow of the Traveler, Saturday, July 26, 2014, 07:25 (3568 days ago) @ someotherguy

100% true in my experience, and I think a lot of my newfound enjoyment of Crucible play is related to finding a loadout Im happy with.

That said, my friend swears by his Sahara (awful, recoil-y thing that it is) and seems to be doing just fine.

I was using a Sahara before I managed to score a Cydonia from the Gunsmith last night, and right from the first trigger pull I was amazed at how much more stable the Cydonia is. And once I unlocked the Focused Fire upgrade that slows down the firing rate for increased damage, it felt a lot more like a rapid fire Scout rifle. I haven't taken it into the Crucible yet, but I suspect it's going to have a marked impact on my ability to, at the very least, stay alive a little longer.

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Saturday, July 26, 2014, 07:28 (3568 days ago) @ TTL Demag0gue

I really like that you can have the same weapon but different abilities on it.

Mine does extra damage with the bottom half of the magazine. Very handy, if I can actually hit you with it.

by TTL Demag0gue ⌂ @, Within the shadow of the Traveler, Saturday, July 26, 2014, 07:29 (3568 days ago) @ someotherguy

Mine does extra damage with the bottom half of the magazine. Very handy, if I can actually hit you with it.

Huh, it hadn't clicked with me with the same weapon may have different upgrades to unlock. Definitely randomizes the loot even more and makes it more personal to the wielder.

by yakaman, Saturday, July 26, 2014, 10:13 (3568 days ago) @ TTL Demag0gue

Huh, it hadn't clicked with me with the same weapon may have different upgrades to unlock. Definitely randomizes the loot even more and makes it more personal to the wielder.

So emphasis on load out is imperative. How does this play with the "skills" crowd, I wonder? Do they consider choosing the proper load out to be a part of the skill set? How will Bungie manage the balance? If the rifles you guys have mentioned offer so much of an advantage, why include all of those other beautiful, detailed weapons?

Not only do you have to roll auto rifle, but you have to roll with the correct auto rifle. This really breaks with the Story-Mode side of the game in which play styles may vary dramatically. I trained with the Scout for all of my missions and stuff, only to find that it was a death sentence in MP.

by TTL Demag0gue ⌂ @, Within the shadow of the Traveler, Saturday, July 26, 2014, 10:34 (3568 days ago) @ yakaman

Not only do you have to roll auto rifle, but you have to roll with the correct auto rifle. This really breaks with the Story-Mode side of the game in which play styles may vary dramatically. I trained with the Scout for all of my missions and stuff, only to find that it was a death sentence in MP.

Yeah, it grates on me a bit, considering my play style is to hang in the back and snipe. So far, I haven't had a lot of success with that in the Crucible. I did roll one match in Iron Banner just now with my newly minted Cydonia, and while my stats still weren't great (I'm still working on adjusting my approach), I had better luck against other auto-wielding Guardians. I tend to think the Crucible's just not going to be my favorite play to be. I suspect I'll roll into there only when I'm looking for a particular piece of gear.

by SigbiasSilva @, West Midlands, England, Saturday, July 26, 2014, 10:51 (3568 days ago) @ yakaman
edited by SigbiasSilva, Saturday, July 26, 2014, 11:47

Aye, the game modes of different beasts. But this is natural. Players behave very differently to AI. You have to select weapons that benefit your playstyle and play to your strengths! It's a little awkward, as you have to dive in and test weapons... but when you find what's good (and follow many of the tips in this thread) you'll be coming out on top.

I've mostly been holding a 3+ K/D with the scout rifle in the crucible. In The Iron Banner game I just finished I had a K/D of 4.5 as a squishy Warlock.

For me scout rifles are all about holding strong lines of site. If you play to your strengths and open engagements on your terms, you'll be dropping teams in no time! ;D

by bluerunner @, Music City, Saturday, July 26, 2014, 11:15 (3568 days ago) @ SigbiasSilva

If you play to your strengths and open engagements on your terms, you'll be dropping teams in no time! ;D

That's great advice. Somebody should put that in a book and call it "The Art of Fighting" or "The Art of Limited Engagements" or something like that.

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Saturday, July 26, 2014, 12:15 (3567 days ago) @ yakaman

I'm assuming there'll be a "favourite", easy to use or general purpose weapon that will get widely adopted (e.g. The Cydonia3) while others with more specific traits will be used by players with a specific playstyle.

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Saturday, July 26, 2014, 07:32 (3568 days ago) @ someotherguy

I'm good with the Sahara because, while it is less precise, it also launches a silly amount of bullets, which is incredibly helpful for my kinda playstyle. I generally do alright in matches; I do pretty well defensively but I'm not the best on the assault.

by Kalamari @, Waiting for Ghorn, FB, and BH, Saturday, July 26, 2014, 13:45 (3567 days ago) @ Durandal

Ya, I think that the amount of aim assist is pretty generous in the beta. Lessening it a bit would help with the AR problem and also steepen the difficulty curve. Another option may be to just decrease the damage of the ARs across the board.

It's definitely not Halo with magic

by Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) ⌂ @, London, Ontario, Canada, Saturday, July 26, 2014, 06:27 (3568 days ago) @ yakaman

It is a much faster paced game than Halo, which isn't good for me as I find myself getting "task-saturated" (too many things happening too quickly to decide upon, so no decisions get made) and losing my bearings. I'm having a heckuva time telling friend from foe, too; all too often by the time I realise that a target's hostile, the guy's already through my shields. The weaker shield mechanic doesn't help me there.

My experience in the Crucible wasn't too bad, at least no worse than my other multiplayer misadventures; my K/D is pathetic but at least I could help with objectives and draw fire away from allies long enough for them to do so some damage.

However my performance in Iron Banner matches wasn't even comedic for bystanders... just piteous. Show up, shoot, miss, die, respawn, lather, rinse, repeat. Either I have a lot of Halo habits to unlearn, or that playlist is absolutely not for me. I won't be going back.

-- Steve thinks this is massively aggravated by the complete dysfunction of party chat in the game over Xbox Live. Totally useless as-is; this must change before release.

PS: I love the story and explore modes to bits, though. Still considering a pre-order for one of the limited editions. (Not the one with the statue, though.)

Stop playing it like Halo.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Saturday, July 26, 2014, 08:01 (3568 days ago) @ Anton P. Nym (aka Steve)

From my own experience and from talking with other people, I think this is the biggest reason people are having a hard time. People may not be doing it consciously, but habits are hard to break. My biggest advise: slow down. If you're sprinting a lot or running off by yourself straight at the enemy, you're going to die.

Second biggest: study the sight lines on the map. Positioning is huge in this game. It'll take a few games, maybe quite a few, but if you learn where you can be seen when traversing the map, you know where to avoid and where to get the drop on people.

Third: Find a weapon that works for you. What you use in PvE might not be the best for you in PvP. I love hand cannons, but I do better in PvP with a scout rifle. And don't just go for the weapon with the highest impact rating. Stability is way more important if you're still struggling with dropping the Halo mentality.

I struggled for my first dozen games or so, but when it clicked that I needed to play more conservatively, I started doing a lot better. Now I really love it, and so far have been doing way better than I ever did in Halo multiplayer. It's a totally different game and you need to treat it as such. And I'm glad that's the case. I don't want another Halo. I want Destiny to be it's own thing, and so far it definitely is.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Saturday, July 26, 2014, 08:22 (3568 days ago) @ bluerunner

I struggled for my first dozen games or so, but when it clicked that I needed to play more conservatively, I started doing a lot better. Now I really love it, and so far have been doing way better than I ever did in Halo multiplayer. It's a totally different game and you need to treat it as such. And I'm glad that's the case. I don't want another Halo. I want Destiny to be it's own thing, and so far it definitely is.

This is exactly how I feel. I end up being 1st or 2nd highest score in most games now ever since I got the hang of it.

by Doooskey, Kansas City, MO, Saturday, July 26, 2014, 08:35 (3568 days ago) @ Xenos
edited by Doooskey, Saturday, July 26, 2014, 08:40

I third this...

After I "got" the gameplay flow, my K/D shot up through the roof. I regularly escape with my life and have had several games with 5 or less deaths.

I feel like I am better than I ever was at Halo, but at the same time, the people I beat the most are the ones playing the game wrong...

Some common mistakes I see (and have taken advantage of):

1. Failing to realize how quickly you will die. You can't even eat 2-3 shots while trying to get a shotgun on someone. You will lose. Way different from Halo.

2. Ignoring slight grenade damage. I play a Warlock and use the vortex grenade. I throw it at doorways to keep guys out, yet people will rush in thinking they can just run through it... It makes them 2-3 shots easier to kill, and gives me all the advantage. If you get hit with a grenade, get out, or get them with yours.

3. Use the right weapon, especially primary. Scout Rifles when at long range, Pulse are better mid-longish, auto rifles do best close-mid. I run auto rifle because all the current maps have tons of close-mid areas, but I am getting killed a lot more by smart guys with scout and pulse rifles.

4. Not running from the Golden Gun (or expecting it to make an appearance). Run from the Golden Gun. Run. Just get out. Use grenades and take advantage of a Golden Gun player's overconfidence. When they throw that gun in the air and turn gold, drop a nade and RUN! Watch for the golden explosion as you are tracking guys on the radar, dead giveaway. I probably die half as often from this Super because of these things.

5. Ignoring Heavy Ammo or Guys who have heavy ammo. Pick it up, I have played 2-3 matches where I am the only getting BOTH drops - and I go on tears. Although, Scout Rifles win against Heavies at range. Also, watch for the drops to disappear (if your team isn't there... it's the other team), and get your team around the ammo when you pick it up. The best matches I have had (close matches) were when we all fought and used heavy ammo.

There are more, but those are some common ones.

I play Warlock and suck with the Nova Bomb, yet I am still 2.5+ on K/D after 23 games.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Saturday, July 26, 2014, 08:44 (3568 days ago) @ Doooskey

4. Not running from the Golden Gun (or expecting it to make an appearance). Run from the Golden Gun. Run. Just get out. Use grenades and take advantage of a Golden Gun player's overconfidence. When they throw that gun in the air and turn gold, drop a nade and RUN! Watch for the golden explosion as you are tracking guys on the radar, dead giveaway. I probably die half as often from this Super because of these things.

Holy crap this one. I play Hunter as my main, so I usually have a pretty good idea how long Golden Gun lasts, so I will turn on a Hunter chasing me with Golden Gun when I know it's going to run out. It's very amusing for me. Also, if a Hunter has his back to you with Golden Gun, Grenade + 1-3 shots and you can take him out before he realizes what's going on.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Saturday, July 26, 2014, 08:47 (3568 days ago) @ Xenos

I play as hunter too. I had my first golden gun shootout last night. We both drew our weapons at the same time and opened fire. It was like an old west quick draw. Unfortunately he was a little more accurate.

by DaDerga, Baile Átha Cliath, Saturday, July 26, 2014, 08:52 (3568 days ago) @ Doooskey

1. Failing to realize how quickly you will die. You can't even eat 2-3 shots while trying to get a shotgun on someone. You will lose. Way different from Halo.

2. Ignoring slight grenade damage. I play a Warlock and use the vortex grenade. I throw it at doorways to keep guys out, yet people will rush in thinking they can just run through it... It makes them 2-3 shots easier to kill, and gives me all the advantage. If you get hit with a grenade, get out, or get them with yours.

3. Use the right weapon, especially primary. Scout Rifles when at long range, Pulse are better mid-longish, auto rifles do best close-mid. I run auto rifle because all the current maps have tons of close-mid areas, but I am getting killed a lot more by smart guys with scout and pulse rifles.

5. Ignoring Heavy Ammo or Guys who have heavy ammo. Pick it up, I have played 2-3 matches where I am the only getting BOTH drops - and I go on tears. Although, Scout Rifles win against Heavies at range. Also, watch for the drops to disappear (if your team isn't there... it's the other team), and get your team around the ammo when you pick it up. The best matches I have had (close matches) were when we all fought and used heavy ammo.

I shall be taking all of this on board. Great stuff.

by yakaman, Saturday, July 26, 2014, 10:23 (3568 days ago) @ Doooskey

I third this...

After I "got" the gameplay flow, my K/D shot up through the roof. I regularly escape with my life and have had several games with 5 or less deaths.

I feel like I am better than I ever was at Halo, but at the same time, the people I beat the most are the ones playing the game wrong...

I play Warlock and suck with the Nova Bomb, yet I am still 2.5+ on K/D after 23 games.

It the games where I have had good runs (2+ k/d) I've done a lot of what you've noted above. This means that on Venus (for example), I'm chilling in room A, crouched near one entrance and sighting with Auto Rifle through the other. I can hold there forever. Dude runs in, auto-rifled to death. Grenade other entrance and plink the dude who ran through the Vortex, get heavy ammo and rocket a few poor, misguided souls, and then nova bomb the living hell out of anyone else who dares to enter.

Successful, yes. But it's camping. Every time I do it I have to take a shower to feel clean again. ;-)

It's more of a defense game, but I will point out again - first seen, first dead. I absolutely hate that - I love moving around the map. I love team shooting. I love skirmishing.

Where in the world do you find enough room to use a Scout Rifle? Maybe the moon, but the outside is usually death by vehicle.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Saturday, July 26, 2014, 10:37 (3568 days ago) @ yakaman

Where in the world do you find enough room to use a Scout Rifle? Maybe the moon, but the outside is usually death by vehicle.

Venus. In the area between B and C there are two big objects sticking in the ground. From the one closer to the cliff edge you can cover B and people usually don't look that way. From the other you can cover C. Both are a grenade throw away, so it's easy to grenade then head shot. Plus the heavy ammo spawn there.

Control is by nature a defensive game. Grab 2 locations and force your enemies to spawn at the other. Once you control 2 areas there's no reason to move. You know the direction they're coming from. If you want running around then regular slayer is what you want.

by Doooskey, Kansas City, MO, Saturday, July 26, 2014, 19:54 (3567 days ago) @ yakaman

I third this...

It the games where I have had good runs (2+ k/d) I've done a lot of what you've noted above. This means that on Venus (for example), I'm chilling in room A, crouched near one entrance and sighting with Auto Rifle through the other. I can hold there forever. Dude runs in, auto-rifled to death. Grenade other entrance and plink the dude who ran through the Vortex, get heavy ammo and rocket a few poor, misguided souls, and then nova bomb the living hell out of anyone else who dares to enter.

Successful, yes. But it's camping. Every time I do it I have to take a shower to feel clean again. ;-)

It's more of a defense game, but I will point out again - first seen, first dead. I absolutely hate that - I love moving around the map. I love team shooting. I love skirmishing.

I am always on the move. I might stand in a room after a cap in defense, but defending and camping are quite a bit different. A camper is expecting the person to not realize they are there and take full advantage of the situation. A defender is known, but is trying to get a strategic advantage. I don't always win in defense, it's all about the situation.

On the moon for instance, I run between A and C playing both offense and defense, and doing equal on both sides, using the same or similar strategies. If I could upload some video of Rusted Lands - I could show you my play style in action. It's definitely far more offensive than defensive.

This game is all about taken advantage of the power they give you: heavies, grenades, supers, and guns. It's far more strategy and approach than twitch skills. IMO of course. I do think you can be seen first or shot first and still win. If I figure out how to upload some clips, I will post them as examples.

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Saturday, July 26, 2014, 12:53 (3567 days ago) @ Doooskey

I'd like to add that it is perfectly possible to avoid a Fist of Havok too, as long as you hardwire a reflex to double-jump back as soon as they pull their arms back.

And about your Nova Bomb, there's an upgrade that makes it track your enemies. It's not really obvious, but if you try to overshoot people with it, works wonders.

Thank you

by breitzen @, Kansas, Sunday, July 27, 2014, 14:31 (3566 days ago) @ Doooskey

I was really not liking the crucibal, but thought I'd try it again after reading these. Totally changed how I feel.
I just went on a 15-0 kill streak on Venus and have had a couple really good games on the moon.

by DerekT07, Tennessee, Saturday, July 26, 2014, 08:58 (3568 days ago) @ bluerunner

From my own experience and from talking with other people, I think this is the biggest reason people are having a hard time. People may not be doing it consciously, but habits are hard to break. My biggest advise: slow down. If you're sprinting a lot or running off by yourself straight at the enemy, you're going to die.

This has definitely been something I've discovered as well. Sometimes it seems like it pays off in Destiny to just hang back and watch for a minute to see what the flow of the match is and wait for a few teammates to die and respawn so that you can join up with their next assault from an advantageous position. You'll also get to see approximate locations of the enemy from your teammates' deaths.

Second biggest: study the sight lines on the map. Positioning is huge in this game. It'll take a few games, maybe quite a few, but if you learn where you can be seen when traversing the map, you know where to avoid and where to get the drop on people.

Again, this seems spot on for my experience. This used to be something I did when I played Halo actually. Back when I played Halo 3 with friends every single day, I would go into the custom games by myself just to run around and look at what I could see from different places and where I could jump to and whatnot. It makes me wish I could explore these Destiny maps by myself since it can be really hard to try to discover new paths or strategies in the heat of battle.

Third: Find a weapon that works for you. What you use in PvE might not be the best for you in PvP. I love hand cannons, but I do better in PvP with a scout rifle. And don't just go for the weapon with the highest impact rating. Stability is way more important if you're still struggling with dropping the Halo mentality.

I can understand the wisdom in this. Personally, my Scout Rifle has been performing admirably well for something I just chose for PvE, but I immediately noticed that I die to auto rifles a lot at both short (expected) and medium (less expected) range. I haven't been diving into the stats on my weapons much, but it seems like that will be crucial for both Iron Banner and the regular Crucible. Even if damage is equalized, your gun still definitely nuances your play style, so it needs to match you while still having certain aspects to make it competitive.

Your words ring true. Destiny should stand as it's own game, not as Bungie's new Halo in disguise. I like that it is definitely doing this. To add just a little to your good advice, sometimes it is better to not use the ADS. You will be a little less accurate, but if you don't use the ADS, you can monitor more of the battle as you fight an enemy, and it's easier to compensate for the Guardians' high jumps and fast movement. Don't stick around really close to control points. Instead, take an overlook position or behind cover a short distance away. You'll still know when the enemy team gets there from the control point icon, and you can then get the drop on the group by using a super if possible or just poking out occasionally to take some shots. They'll be anchored down on the point trying to capture it while you'll be mobile. I've been able to perform as best on my team some doing this sort of thing, but I'm not a great player in the first place, so I vary quite a lot as to how I do. Oh, and if you get heavy ammo, use it immediately but conservatively.

That being said, I do feel like the Crucible could use some work. The time to kill (or time to death, in many cases) is very, very short. I don't like this. I much prefer the ability to respond in battle, rather than just being devastated by a few shots. Instant deaths are also very common. I've found that the Crucible has made me more exasperated about how I die rather than just feeling like I missed an advantage, like I did when I used to play Halo. Assuredly, this will get better as I play the game more when it comes out, but right now it just feels like so many deaths have come because I was attacked from behind and died before I could even turn or when facing someone, they just got those first few shots off before I could. I'd rather it feel like they showed better skill in gunplay, but this sort of thing is just a part of FPSs. It would even happen in Halo. Time with the game will allow us to get better at map knowledge and strategy. Teamwork seems like an absolute necessity for doing well. I guess I just need some friends to play with! Haha

Somewhere, someone must be loving it?

by DEEP_NNN, Saturday, July 26, 2014, 06:33 (3568 days ago) @ yakaman

Right?

Every match has winners, so 50% of the time there must be happy players?

It's like, these days many people feel they have to be the hero they once were, for a game to be good.

I remember my first MM of Halo 2 where I literally hid in the bases just so I could live long enough to throw one grenade. Seeing an opponent was instant death. This went on for months. My friends always new where to find me because I was behind a box. I kid you not. Crucible is kind of like that for me now.

One of my friends who is about 15% better at Halo than me was playing 50% worse than me in his first two Crucible matches. If he sticks with it, he will be beating me again. I hope he tries it more.

No, I am not enamoured with Crucible yet but I'll wait for the full game before writing it off.

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Saturday, July 26, 2014, 07:13 (3568 days ago) @ DEEP_NNN

M finding the more I play, the more Im enjoying myself. Think I just needed to get into the right mindset. The vheap kills are still painfully cheap, but they don't seem to be happening as often any more, as Im learning not to put myself in as many vulnerable positions.

Really not enjoying the vehicles, but have been lucky enough to have the Interceptors take care of each other the last couple of games in First Light.

by yakaman, Saturday, July 26, 2014, 10:37 (3568 days ago) @ someotherguy

M finding the more I play, the more Im enjoying myself. Think I just needed to get into the right mindset. The vheap kills are still painfully cheap, but they don't seem to be happening as often any more, as Im learning not to put myself in as many vulnerable positions.

Really not enjoying the vehicles, but have been lucky enough to have the Interceptors take care of each other the last couple of games in First Light.

Not writing it off, venting - Krakatoa-style. Regarding the vehicles...sure, I'm not dying as often, because I'm freaking huddled indoors like a coward. I'm not dying, but am I really living?

I'm guessing they'll be trying to balance the following:

- Vehicles/anti-vehicle strategy
- Mid-range rifles vs short range rifles for short, mid, long range fighting
- ?

Strangely....

by Velociraptor112, Places., Saturday, July 26, 2014, 08:09 (3568 days ago) @ yakaman

I'm actually enjoying the Crucible. I usually play with friends and the snipers haven't been killing me as much as I thought they would. I just run from vehicles unless I have Super or Heavy. Vehicles definitely need some more weaknesses, though. But I can see that it's not for everyone.

Strangely....

by bluerunner @, Music City, Saturday, July 26, 2014, 08:11 (3568 days ago) @ Velociraptor112

One shot kills with snipers are head shots, just like Halo. Body shots depend on the impact rating.

by snakegriffin ⌂, MD, Saturday, July 26, 2014, 09:06 (3568 days ago) @ yakaman

Let me count the ways:

1. Super fast death because cool effects.
2. How many times can I die without seeing who was even shooting?
3. First seen, first dead.
4. God help you if you run into someone in a vehicle.
5. I need to get spawn killed more on the moon. It amazing fun.
6. People complained that ordinance drops in Halo 4 created rolling momentum - holy balls, this is 15 times worse.
7. I think snipers should be more one-shot somehow. Like, maybe if you get sniped you die, respawn, and then die again.
8. I love the Scout Rifle. Too bad everything under the sun (or moon) is one-shot. It sure sounds nice and feels satisfying until I take a sniper bullet to the chest and die super-amazingly.
9. More blowouts than I can count. I'd love to have a close game.
10. I've dominated a few games by camping with shotgun, waiting for heavy ammo, waiting for super. Rinse, repeat. And then stab me in the eyes because that's a god-awful way to play.
11. I need more sequences where I get golden-gunned, golden-gunned again, nova bombed, sniped, sniped, sniped, and nova bombed.

I absolutely love Story, Strike, Explore, etc, but the Crucible actually makes me not want to get this game. It's like they purposefully set out to make the most annoying MP experience possible. My friends and I had the most fabulous time in the Stirke, but the Crucible was like someone tossed a dead skunk into our party. That shit cleared out the room before I could blink.

I've stuck it out, gone back again for more because I'm some sort of glutton for punishment - I can't put the words together to express how negative my MP experience has been. Yikes.

I have played one match so far, on the Moon map. And I have about the same sentiments so far. Yeah, maybe it's a different *kind* of matchmaking, or something. But I have yet to understand how it's supposed to be... fun. I don't particularly understand how I am supposed to know how overpowered the enemies are in order to strategize. Plus I was horribly spawn killed 5-6 times from across the map. I shouldn't have to do research before jumping into a game and enjoying it, but after that first game I'm like "WTF, am I missing something?"

Pompeii

by RC ⌂, UK, Saturday, July 26, 2014, 09:39 (3568 days ago) @ yakaman

RC once had a Gozen-C,
That downed Major enemies so easily.
Into the Crucible he took it,
But soon decried 'fook it,'
For this rifle was too slow for PvP.

He exchanged it for a Pompeii-LR3
Since same-weapon swaps are free.
As a single mag made 3 brains splat,
He proclaimed, as a matter of fact,
"This is surely the Sniper for me!"

Let the Pompeii be your edification,
Should you suffer some frustration.
Halo play-styles are a dead-end,
Be like water, my friend,
As success is in adapting to the situation!

/lol, I really suck at poems but, this was fun so, whatever.

For PvE, the Gozen-C is my go-to and I have 2 of them with different damage types. It does lots of damage, has a high impact, optional long-range scopes, and my Solar one has this sweet upgrade that makes the last round in a mag do 1.5x the normal damage.

But I'm not finding any situations where it really works in PvP. It still seems to require 2 body shots to kill someone, and my aim isn't good enough to try and rely on that bonus-damage last-round shot.

One game I get frustrated and switch to the aforementioned Pompeii-LR3 uncommon Sniper Rifle I had. A weapon I had not used for PvE since it's damage was lower than the Gozen-Cs. It's lighter, snappier, has an upgrade that reduces recoil, and has an extra round in the Magazine (4 total) than the Gozen-C. Almost instantly I was doing better. I started plucking people out of the sky, doing quicker double-body shots on running targets that were impossible before.

Drop all your preconceptions about what sort of tactics and weapons should work in what situations (especially if it's from Halo) and be willing to re-learn and try things you didn't before.

Pompeii

by yakaman, Saturday, July 26, 2014, 10:31 (3568 days ago) @ RC

RC once had a Gozen-C,
That downed Major enemies so easily.
Into the Crucible he took it,
But soon decried 'fook it,'
For this rifle was too slow for PvP.

He exchanged it for a Pompeii-LR3
Since same-weapon swaps are free.
As a single mag made 3 brains splat,
He proclaimed, as a matter of fact,
"This is surely the Sniper for me!"

Let the Pompeii be your edification,
Should you suffer some frustration.
Halo play-styles are a dead-end,
Be like water, my friend,
As success is in adapting to the situation!

/lol, I really suck at poems but, this was fun so, whatever.

For PvE, the Gozen-C is my go-to and I have 2 of them with different damage types. It does lots of damage, has a high impact, optional long-range scopes, and my Solar one has this sweet upgrade that makes the last round in a mag do 1.5x the normal damage.

Drop all your preconceptions about what sort of tactics and weapons should work in what situations (especially if it's from Halo) and be willing to re-learn and try things you didn't before.

Loved the poem. I'll try to follow this last piece of advice.

by Numinar @, Saturday, July 26, 2014, 10:02 (3568 days ago) @ yakaman

I for one am enjoying it! It mostly seems fair in that, if I get someone in the back, I win!

However, I keep losing DMR and BR battles vs AR (The sweet higher damage at lower clip one, I always inspect my betters!) at ridiculous mid-long ranges. It seems like I go down in 2 hits, under half a second. I might get one or two bursts off to little effect. Not sure if I am doing something wrong or if it's a severe case of the client-side prediction blues ala Battlefield.

BF4 has the excuse that it's 64 people on a map, whats Destiny's excuse? I have a fat fiber optic pipe, surely the dedicated servers sort this out?

How is MM done anyway? By PSN account region, IP, locale settings in the console? Anybody know?

by yakaman, Saturday, July 26, 2014, 10:33 (3568 days ago) @ Numinar

I for one am enjoying it! It mostly seems fair in that, if I get someone in the back, I win!

However, I keep losing DMR and BR battles vs AR (The sweet higher damage at lower clip one, I always inspect my betters!) at ridiculous mid-long ranges. It seems like I go down in 2 hits, under half a second. I might get one or two bursts off to little effect. Not sure if I am doing something wrong or if it's a severe case of the client-side prediction blues ala Battlefield.

BF4 has the excuse that it's 64 people on a map, whats Destiny's excuse? I have a fat fiber optic pipe, surely the dedicated servers sort this out?

How is MM done anyway? By PSN account region, IP, locale settings in the console? Anybody know?

What is this "client-side prediction blues" of which you speak? Surely my terrible DSL connection does not make me susceptible to such tomfoolery?

by Numinar @, Saturday, July 26, 2014, 11:07 (3568 days ago) @ yakaman

It's all conjecture, and I am always wary of blaming the webz for my own poor in game decisions, but Battlefield allows clients to tell the server whether they hit someone or not. In that game it results in running around a corner, out of line of sight of your enemy, but getting shot by them as due to lag they still see you on their screen before you went around the corner. Or they did shoot you when you were outside but the system took a second or so to pass that info on to you.

I don't even hate it in that game, it seems like a good trade off in that game for all the other things it does, and forces you to not get in such a situation in the first place.

Halo/Destiny has that thing with the mutual kill result, which is far more common than you would think given the speed of ordnance, but since we have had this since H2 I have grown used to it (Solutions tend to result in more "I totally won that why am I dead!" situations).

In Destiny the only time I get suspicious is when I go 1v1 (which I normally try to avoid in any case, but this is futile!) and someone with an AR, takes me down faster than I take them down with BR/DMR, at med-long range. Yes, sometimes it is my aiming, but I go down SO fast that I feel like the server/enemy client must be seeing something I am not.

I am not trying to make excuses, I am crap at shooters. First to admit it. I lose to better playing in Halo all the time. But this behavior seems downright bugged/wrong.

I understand how hard it is, the internet is not made for reflex/split second timing games, regardless of how awesome they seem to work on it. It's a form of inaccuracies that the best games, which I hope/believe Destiny is one of, get around by making positioning/communication/tactics more important than the 1v1 head on duel.

Yeah, I sometimes get a Postmortem melee kill. So weird.

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Saturday, July 26, 2014, 12:58 (3567 days ago) @ Numinar

- No text -

Do you play Warlock?

by SigbiasSilva @, West Midlands, England, Saturday, July 26, 2014, 13:06 (3567 days ago) @ ZackDark

If so, there you have it! Energy Drain for yah.

If not... well, that is weird!

Yes, but that's not it all of the times

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Saturday, July 26, 2014, 16:08 (3567 days ago) @ SigbiasSilva

- No text -

Yes, but that's not it all of the times

by SigbiasSilva @, West Midlands, England, Saturday, July 26, 2014, 16:55 (3567 days ago) @ ZackDark

Hmmm, if you're sure it isn't the health draining melee, then that is indeed strange...

I've been chalking it up to latency and async

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Saturday, July 26, 2014, 16:58 (3567 days ago) @ SigbiasSilva

I've also gotten a few Postmortem shoot-out kills

Yep

by Schooly D, TSD Gaming Condo, TX, Saturday, July 26, 2014, 13:50 (3567 days ago) @ yakaman

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, July 26, 2014, 20:34 (3567 days ago) @ yakaman

Because you can die so fast, positioning and sight is really really important. You'll learn after a while which places on the map conceal you, and which give you good vision of others. You have to think about that much more often, and really pick your engagements and not go so gung ho.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread