Not So Public Event (Destiny)

by smeginfrell @, Northumberland, England, Saturday, July 26, 2014, 09:40 (3568 days ago)

I've not had as much time testing out the Destiny Beta as I would have liked and one area I was hoping to experience more was the public events, the Devil Walker battle in particular.

I had experienced it once by chance when the explore mode first became available but I found that my Guardian wasn't really powerful enough to have any effect on the Walker. So I went on my way and vowed to return.

Upon reading yesterday that the public events happen at set times, and being keen to put my now level 8 Titan and his shiny new armour through his paces I set off to be ready and waiting for when the Devil Walker dropped.

I arrived in the area with around 15 minutes to spare so just killed time laying the smack down on the unfortunate Fallen in the area. I was soon joined by fire-teams, a pair and a trio, as well as another lone wolf like myself and it seemed clear that we were all there for the same thing.

Finally the time was upon us, the clock struck midnight (for me anyway) and the skies of Old Russia darkened as the Fallen ships appeared. Eager for the fight I took a look around to check the position of my fellow Guardians and...

they had all disappeared.

It would seem as though when the public event began the Guardians in the area were split into separate instances of it. Only the split was uneven and I was left to face the walker and its supporting infantry alone. I decided to have at the Walker with my heavy machine gun but I was soon surrounded and overpowered and a life was soon lost. Upon resurrection I decided to turn cowardly custard and fled. Hopefully I'll have the opportunity to complete this public event tonight, before the end of the Beta.

Has anyone else had a similar experience at the beginning of a public event?

Not So Public Event

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Saturday, July 26, 2014, 09:54 (3568 days ago) @ smeginfrell

Not that I've noticed. Not saying it can't happen, but I don't think it's the normal mode of operation.

Not So Public Event

by Doooskey, Kansas City, MO, Saturday, July 26, 2014, 10:03 (3568 days ago) @ smeginfrell

I have not had that experience. The guys who are around tend to be the guys who are still around when the public event opens... This seems odd. Maybe the teams left the area?

Not So Public Event

by Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) ⌂ @, London, Ontario, Canada, Saturday, July 26, 2014, 10:12 (3568 days ago) @ smeginfrell

You have to "opt in" to be part of the public event; it could be you did but everyone else didn't (or couldn't figure out how... it was not entirely clear to me the first couple of times) and you got left standing solo.

-- Steve has yet to get a good feel for how to bring a spider tank to its knees; mostly he does support work for those who do.

Speaking of Spider Tanks (derailing a bit)

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Saturday, July 26, 2014, 13:02 (3568 days ago) @ smeginfrell

Is it just me or do they get awfully slower the more legs you shoot out of it?

Speaking of Spider Tanks (derailing a bit)

by Durandal, Sunday, July 27, 2014, 10:31 (3567 days ago) @ ZackDark

I have not noticed it, but usually they just kind of stomp about in the same spot anyway.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread