Vehicle madness! (Destiny)

by Numinar @, Saturday, July 26, 2014, 10:49 (3568 days ago)

Guys! Just had an epiphany!

Vehicles suck, they totally work you over. They are usually good for two or three kills against a good team, more against a lesser. Everyone is screaming NERF!

But!

They are outside of the progression system. We will get more weapons/abilities that will hurt vehicles, but that interceptor will always be the over-sized slow ass rocket ghost it is now.

Looks like getting those levels does not take long, and if you enter the Crucible at a lower level than 20 you wont be there for long.

Can we really get annoyed about any balance issue here at the moment? Maybe the Hunter pistol/AR heavy low level game we are "Enjoying" at the moment sorts itself out later on? Without the full biosphere of abilities and weapons, how can we call OP on anything for the time being?

Vehicle madness!

by kanbo @, Seattle, WA, Saturday, July 26, 2014, 11:04 (3568 days ago) @ Numinar

Can we really get annoyed about any balance issue here at the moment?

Yes.

Vehicle madness!

by Phoenix_9286 @, Saturday, July 26, 2014, 11:28 (3568 days ago) @ kanbo

Yes.

Having not even set foot in the Crucible, and having only read things about it here, I have to agree for the single reason that if you're allowed access at level 5, it should be playable at level 5. No one should have to wait until level 20 to have a fighting chance and/or not be decimated.

Vehicle madness!

by kanbo @, Seattle, WA, Saturday, July 26, 2014, 11:50 (3568 days ago) @ Phoenix_9286

Having not even set foot in the Crucible, and having only read things about it here, I have to agree for the single reason that if you're allowed access at level 5, it should be playable at level 5. No one should have to wait until level 20 to have a fighting chance and/or not be decimated.

That's kind of beside the point. The vehicles available to us now on First Light are pretty unbalanced and Bungie has acknowledged this.

For the most part, your level doesn't matter because of the stat equalizing in regular Crucible matches. You'll be missing out on some good perks on your abilities and guns, but there are plenty of level 5-7 players who are doing just fine in PvP right now.

Vehicle madness!

by Numinar @, Saturday, July 26, 2014, 11:55 (3568 days ago) @ Phoenix_9286

Yes.

I agree!

But I think what we have here is an artificial economy, a situation that will never exist in the full game, which has ALL the sandbox elements to play with and in which you will never have a 12xlvl 5, or 12xlvl 8 player game.

I'm sure some of what we are perceiving as broken right now really is, but some of it is not.

The AR for instance seems broken to me, but I am also aware that I may not be pro enough to pass such a judgement.

The vehicles ARE broken, but in a good way! You should be able to work the other team! You both start with an interceptor, if someone comes out the other side of the initial engagement with one or two interceptors, they deserve to steam roll a bit! It's not like they spawn that much during the match.

I feel this design by committee approach evident in the alpha/beta will suck all the personality out of the thing. Not interested. Sometimes asymmetry is awesome. This is why I love all the maps so far, they all taste like Lockout and it's goooood.

Vehicle madness!

by petetheduck, Saturday, July 26, 2014, 11:32 (3568 days ago) @ Numinar

Guys! Just had an epiphany!

Vehicles suck, they totally work you over. They are usually good for two or three kills against a good team, more against a lesser. Everyone is screaming NERF!

But!

They are outside of the progression system. We will get more weapons/abilities that will hurt vehicles, but that interceptor will always be the over-sized slow ass rocket ghost it is now.

Looks like getting those levels does not take long, and if you enter the Crucible at a lower level than 20 you wont be there for long.

Can we really get annoyed about any balance issue here at the moment? Maybe the Hunter pistol/AR heavy low level game we are "Enjoying" at the moment sorts itself out later on? Without the full biosphere of abilities and weapons, how can we call OP on anything for the time being?

First, this is the sampling that Bungie has given us with which to evaluate the game. We can't base our opinions on some hypothetical experience that contradicts what is currently actually happening.

Second, we're basically able to access all abilities in the first subclass for each class. Sure, we can't access every single upgrade, but for the most part the remaining items won't drastically change anything. If I like a subclass, like Warlock's Voidwalker, my current abilities are pretty much representative of what they will be when I hit max level in the final game. It's true there are 2 more subclasses, but maybe I don't want to use them. I think I can make a fair assessment of how a Voidwalker will do against an Interceptor in the final game based on the Beta.

I do think that some people aren't playing smart against these vehicles, though, and crying OP after dying for making poor decisions, but with Bungie nerfing the Interceptor, looks like there is some truth to it all.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread