Why didn't anyone say this was the new Phantasy Star Online? (Destiny)

by Kal, Saturday, July 26, 2014, 20:35 (3571 days ago)

I've paid very little interest in Destiny before the beta, since I wasn't very interested in another Borderlands -- and Destiny looked a lot like Borderlands without the humor.

But after playing the beta? The game that Destiny is most similar to isn't Borderlands, but rather the Dreamcast classic Phantasy Star Online, one of my favorite games of all time.

Three races (Human/Newman/Andriod) and three classes (Force/Hunter/Ranger) available in character creation? A physical lobby with a global population with sitting, dancing, and soccer? Breaking off into small groups of 3-4 to tackle individual missions? Techniques? Finding rare items in specially-colored boxes and bringing them back to the expert in town to identify them? MAGs/Ghosts? A last bastion of humanity that's all-too similar to Pioneer 1? Heck, even when you die you turn into a ball of light that dances above your corpse. I'm waiting for scape dolls and Dark Falz to show up next!

Mixing PSO with Halo is like mixing peanut butter and chocolate for me. I've gone from skipping Destiny to making it a day-one purchase.

That's one of the reasons I've been excited about it!

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Saturday, July 26, 2014, 21:04 (3571 days ago) @ Kal

- No text -

Haven't heard that comparison before. Spot on!

by kanbo @, Seattle, WA, Saturday, July 26, 2014, 21:07 (3571 days ago) @ Kal

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread