We Ain't Seen Nothing Yet. (Destiny)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, July 28, 2014, 00:42 (3569 days ago)
edited by Ragashingo, Monday, July 28, 2014, 01:10

I'm working on a big beta writeup but got side tracked with these locations that we haven't seen and which seem to contradict the current rumor that all we're getting is The Tower, Earth, The Moon, Venus, Mars, and The Reef:

[image] [image] [image]
[image] [image] [image]
[image] [image][image]

All of these are locations weren't seen in the beta, and some of them, like the last one, show locations that don't make sense unless Earth has more than The Tower and Old Russia as locations. On top of that, we know Bungie and Bungie never shows us everything. Halo 1's Flood? Halo 2's Arbiter? Halo 3's Ark? ODST's subplot with the Engineers, and Reach's Pillar of Autumn were all (largely) unrevealed prelaunch of each game. Add in the fact that the Grimoire lists Mercury, Saturn and Jupiter as locations the same as Earth and The City...

Yeah, I'm confident that we ain't seen nothing yet.:)

We Ain't Seen Nothing Yet.

by DaDerga, Baile Átha Cliath, Monday, July 28, 2014, 02:43 (3569 days ago) @ Ragashingo

And I'm confident that you are absolutely correct in that.

by Blue_Blazer_NZ, Wellington, New Zealand, Monday, July 28, 2014, 02:48 (3569 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Up-front note: I have already pre-ordered the LE and I was totally stoked with the Beta. however I'm taking a pessimistic (but not negative) approach to this simply to avoid over-hyping myself, otherwise I'd get carried away.

- The fact that Grimoire cards exist for these locations? All I know is that there is apparently a Cruicible map on Mercury called The Burning Shrine, set in an area called The Fields of Glass. As for Jupiter and Saturn appearing on the cards? I'm at a loss to explain - coming with expansions is always a possibility.

- Some of the images you have included are concept art. They are concepts for the destiny universe, not necessarily all to be included as content for the initial release (otherwise we could still be expecting the old "Tiger-man" to be included ;) )

- Regarding the last image of the guardians sitting in a location on Earth; I have seen some people say this was potentially staged on the Crucible map, Twilight Gap.

As a side note, here is a screenshot of people playing what looks like crucible gameplay on a map set on Phobos. Any thoughts on this?
[image]

Again, I'm just tempering my expectations - plus I'm definitely more in the quality over quantity camp. In saying that; if it turns out all those locations etc end up in the game, I'll be blown away for sure!

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Monday, July 28, 2014, 06:37 (3569 days ago) @ Blue_Blazer_NZ

- Some of the images you have included are concept art. They are concepts for the destiny universe, not necessarily all to be included as content for the initial release (otherwise we could still be expecting the old "Tiger-man" to be included ;) )

- Regarding the last image of the guardians sitting in a location on Earth; I have seen some people say this was potentially staged on the Crucible map, Twilight Gap.

They could all well be Crucible locations, but none of the images he posted were concept art.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, July 28, 2014, 08:45 (3569 days ago) @ Leviathan

They could all well be Crucible locations, but none of the images he posted were concept art.

Right, the only one that has any chance of being concept art is the rings of Saturn shot, but it's far too finished looking and animated to be concept art. Additionally, we have a direct quote from Ryan Ellis, a Technical Art Director at Bungie saying that "You can go from Earth to Venus to Mars to the Moon to Saturn" in the Out Here in the Wild ViDoc.

Then there is the concept art where both Saturn and Jupiter have been teased:

[image] [image] [image]

Could some or all of these locations have been cut? Sure. But when faced with July, 2014 Grimoire cards showing both planets as locations as well as a seemingly finished cutscene piece from Saturn and concept art of both from 2013 you have to lean more heavily on these locations existing than them not. At least that's what I think.

by petetheduck, Monday, July 28, 2014, 08:50 (3569 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Right, the only one that has any chance of being concept art is the rings of Saturn shot, but it's far too finished looking and animated to be concept art. Additionally, we have a direct quote from Ryan Ellis, a Technical Art Director at Bungie saying that "You can go from Earth to Venus to Mars to the Moon to Saturn" in the Out Here in the Wild ViDoc.

Isn't Saturn the location of the Reef?

We know the Reef is a thing outside of Crucible, we just don't know if it is a social location like the Tower or a PvE location. The only image I can find of the Reef shows a Guardian in third person...

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, July 28, 2014, 09:18 (3569 days ago) @ petetheduck

Well, we have the cutscene with the Queen, but I highly doubt the Reef is at Saturn. Saturn looks like these:

[image] [image]

While the Reef is consistently purple:

[image][image] [image] [image] [image]

I stand corrected :)

by Blue_Blazer_NZ, Wellington, New Zealand, Monday, July 28, 2014, 13:48 (3569 days ago) @ Ragashingo

- No text -

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Monday, July 28, 2014, 07:02 (3569 days ago) @ Blue_Blazer_NZ

If there's only four planets (or 3 and the Moon, I guess. Planetoids?) but Crucible maps on other parts of those planets I'll be a little sad but I'll live. We're not actually entitled to any more than we get, after all.

If there's more than four but only four are playable in the main game and the rest are Crucible only, I'll be genuinely irritated. That just seems like teasing.

by car15, Monday, July 28, 2014, 14:12 (3569 days ago) @ someotherguy
edited by car15, Monday, July 28, 2014, 14:16

There is a Crucible map on Mercury, which is not a planet being reported as an Explore zone. However, on the flip side, there are story missions on the Reef, but no Crucible maps.

I never expected more than one Explore zone (or "destination," in DeeJ-speak) per planet, but frankly, I was expecting some "N7 / Spartan Ops" style levels set on smaller arena-style maps with simple goals and wave-based enemy encounters. Bungie could easily have made those types of levels on the Crucible maps. I foresaw bite-sized missions and bounties being offered on those maps by factions like Dead Orbit and FWC, as well as by the mysterious Awoken Queen, but I guess I was wrong about that, though.

Bungie, if you want to make some easy DLC that tides fans over until the Comet arrives, that's your ticket. Short and simple missions set on the Crucible maps.

by Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) ⌂ @, London, Ontario, Canada, Monday, July 28, 2014, 07:20 (3569 days ago) @ Ragashingo

As am I. There has to be much more than Old Russia and the Sea of Storms in the final package... for one thing, the Beta "only" clocked in at 4GB, a DVD-sized file, when the final game will ship on Blu-Ray (for PS4/XB1) with much more capacity. (six times as much?) For another, the story hooks already revealed (Queen of the Reef, the Cassini wreck, surface pix of Venus, the Vex) show much more material completed than shown in the Beta.

-- Steve'd be unpleasantly surprised if the Beta contained even a sixth of the final content, given how much of the Beta download must've been taken up by the engine and character models.

PS: I'll be looking to order the LE set with the bonus mission downloads included. No statue, though; I'm outta shelf space.

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Tuesday, July 29, 2014, 02:40 (3568 days ago) @ Anton P. Nym (aka Steve)

I thought the beta was 12-14GB?

by TTL Demag0gue ⌂ @, Within the shadow of the Traveler, Tuesday, July 29, 2014, 05:52 (3568 days ago) @ someotherguy

I thought the beta was 12-14GB?

I was, for X1/PS4. It clocked in at 4-5GB on 360/PS3.

by Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) ⌂ @, London, Ontario, Canada, Tuesday, July 29, 2014, 07:21 (3568 days ago) @ TTL Demag0gue

Hunh. I d/led it to my XB1 and the thing said 4.5GB... left the console on to download & install overnight, woke up to see it finished. That said, I'd heard it was a two-stage download but never saw a second part; was there an 8GB "part 2" that I didn't see?

-- Steve went into the Beta deliberately blind, wanting to get his own impression before it got cluttered by that of others, which had its good and bad points. This may be one of the bad points.

by HavokBlue, California, Monday, July 28, 2014, 14:24 (3569 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Don't forget Titan and Charon.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread