Theories on the Vex (Destiny)

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Monday, July 28, 2014, 11:12 (3569 days ago)

Told Mal I would eventually make this post.

So The Vex, right? Time Traveling Robo's? What's that all about?

We know they travel time from the future.

We know their monikers are in line with Goblins, Hobgoblins, as well as some Greek monsters: Minotaur, Hydra, Harpies.

Most of the above are very labyrinthian, which might align with the Citadel/Vault of Glass (no actual confirmation that they are one in the same or different.)

We also have this post from pete about the public event stating "Prevent Vex sacrifices"

Another point of note is that all contact with Vex has returned fruitless, either by unintelligible future language or on orders not to communicate with Guardians.

This leads me to a couple of theories:

1) Cultists

In regard to sacrifices, it definitely depends who and what is being sacrificed. In either way, seems to serve some robo-satanic lord. Perhaps trying to bide power to bring their mecha-Cthulu into the present. This also leverages their greek mythological motif of being the pawns of a dark, meddler god or something more powerful in the aether.

2) Corporate Overlords

First thing I thought of when I saw the name Goblins, was more a grubby leprechaun type. That began a yarn to spin in my head about the greedy intent of the Vex. If they were sent into the past by their corporate overlords to salvage and scavenge for valuable materials. Or perhaps more, sacrifices of humans or other creatures could be to harvest them for value. If by sacrifice, they mean throw them into the future portal. It would also align with their uniform bronzed look. They may be more imperial like their Cabal cousins on Mars.

Wish we got to see some during the beta.

Thoughts?

-Paddy

Theories on the Vex

by DaDerga, Baile Átha Cliath, Monday, July 28, 2014, 11:36 (3569 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

I wish I could locate the short post I made on Bnet about my own suspicions but here's the gist of it. I have a hunch that the Vex are the progeny of one(?) of our unrecovered Warminds, Civilian Minds(supposition) etc. or fragment(s) thereof, in an alternate timeline. They have returned to the here and now to prevent us from recovering this because if we do then they shall never come to be.

Theories on the Vex

by HavokBlue, California, Monday, July 28, 2014, 14:23 (3569 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

I'm not saying it's a W’rkncacnter but...

Theories on the Vex

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Tuesday, July 29, 2014, 06:43 (3568 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

I'm of a couple different minds about this, but they stem mainly from two different ideas:

The Vex logic is either 'perfect' or 'imperfect'.

If they are driven by some form of distributed AI, or distinct processes forming consensus like Mass Effect's Geth, I'd say their logic and motives are 'perfect' for lack of a better term. At least functioning as intended. Not insane.

So, with that in mind, my thought would be they have a specific purpose that's been thought all the way through, and they're just executing it. Go back in time and secure X technology, seize the Traveller, etc. Secure the originating Warmind (to dovetail with Paddy's theory). BTW, if a Warmind is their point of origin, then its name should be Hephaestus. What with him creating the first shiny metal androids in recorded literature, and all.

Alternately, their logic could have become corrupted along they way to believe in some wacky offshoot of metaphysics, or machine religion, what-have-you; hence "sacrifices". Insane robots.

My hope is that the Vex have the darkest backstory: That Humanity is doomed, and the Vex know it, because they have travelled back in time from a point where humans are merely legend. Like jumping back in time and finding Earth populated with unicorns.

The question that really gets at me, though; is not "Why?" but "Why now?"

If the Vex are really time-travellers, then are we to assume that the Traveller posesses the same power? So far it seems to me the Traveller is implied to have ultimate power, yet there doesn't seem to be any indication that time travel is part of that.

~m

Theories on the Vex

by DaDerga, Baile Átha Cliath, Tuesday, July 29, 2014, 07:02 (3568 days ago) @ Malagate

The question that really gets at me, though; is not "Why?" but "Why now?"

Well, that's the nub of the matter right there. If forinstance, there are multiple timelines, do the potential futures bottleneck at certain points, ie. the games present? Do events have to be played out at these key moments and these only in order to secure these?

Theories on the Vex

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Tuesday, July 29, 2014, 07:26 (3568 days ago) @ Malagate

My hope is that the Vex have the darkest backstory: That Humanity is doomed, and the Vex know it, because they have travelled back in time from a point where humans are merely legend. Like jumping back in time and finding Earth populated with unicorns.

I was thinking similarly. That they're the result of mankind's eventual defeat and/or assimilation by the darkness. Either theyre fundamentally changed/converted/"upgraded" into something more useful than squishy humans, or there's a darkness infused human equivalent species somewhere in the future manufacturing these things.

Then theyre being sent back to make sure that humanities destruction/conversion stays "canon" as it were.

It's totally not that. But I'd like it if it were something really dark and bleak.

Vex.isnotcanon.net?

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Tuesday, July 29, 2014, 08:28 (3568 days ago) @ someotherguy

quit making canon so fluid Vex! What is this Bioshock Infinite?

Theories on the Vex

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Tuesday, July 29, 2014, 08:10 (3568 days ago) @ Malagate

Do keep in mind that the Vex aren't robots. They're cyborgs. Which, of course, leads to a whole new range of questions...

Theories on the Vex

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Tuesday, July 29, 2014, 08:19 (3568 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Oh, really? I thought I was twisting things in my favour by interpreting them that way, bur if that's the case Im totally convinced they're "upgraded", darkness-corrupted humans from the future.

Theories on the Vex

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Tuesday, July 29, 2014, 08:24 (3568 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Do keep in mind that the Vex aren't robots. They're cyborgs. Which, of course, leads to a whole new range of questions...

"Sacrifices" might make a lot more sense, then. Harvesting organs and such from humans.

If the Darkness is bent on extinguishing life, it might make a twisted kind of sense that the Vex could believe they're somehow perpetuating life by incorporating biomatter into their being.

Or they could be attempting to "resurrect" life itself in a dead future by attempting a machine-->bio transition.

That does provide a good bit more to chew on.

~m

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread