Damage types and subclasses (Destiny)

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Monday, July 28, 2014, 14:13 (3562 days ago)

As you may have noticed, each Guardian focus seems to be centered around a certain damage type. The Warlock's Voidwalker focus, for instance, is (duh) based around void damage. The six focuses we could see in the beta went as follows:

Warlock:

Voidwalker - Void
Sunsinger - Solar

Titan:

Striker - Arc
Defender - Void

Hunter:

Gunslinger - Solar
Bladedancer - Arc

As you can see, each guardian currently has a focus for two damage types, but not the third. This, combined with the fact that there appeared to be a third inventory slot, makes me think there's probably a third focus for each guardian which will fill in their (so far) missing damage type. I'm not convinced they'll necessarily be present at launch. The two existing focuses per class seem to have so much potential for tweaking and customizing on their own, and I could see a third focus maybe being part of a later expansion.

Alternatively, perhaps Bungie intends to keep it this way? The apparent third slot could just be something they were considering/experimenting with, which got cut but still had a remnant left over in the beta build. The fact that each guardian class is (currently) missing one of the three damage types means that no one character could ever have a focus on hand to deal with ALL possible damage output needs, thus possibly encouraging teamwork and planning to ensure that your fireteam has all the bases covered. That's going on the assumption (theorized by some around here) that resistances/susceptibility to different damage types will be significant in higher-difficulty activities like raids.

Thoughts? Which scenario do you think is more likely - is there going to be a third focus per class, or is it staying as-is? Is there a possibility I overlooked?

Damage types and subclasses

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Monday, July 28, 2014, 14:28 (3562 days ago) @ stabbim

I'm guessing there's going to be a third Focus for each class, but that Bungie didn't feel like showing every Focus off before launch.

by Decom @, Monday, July 28, 2014, 14:45 (3562 days ago) @ stabbim

It would be interesting if the third subclass was an exotic "item" that you had to acquire through gameplay.

But more likely it'll just be part of the DLC.

Third Subclass and Switching?

by Blue_Blazer_NZ, Wellington, New Zealand, Monday, July 28, 2014, 14:46 (3562 days ago) @ stabbim

I understand that once you level up and lock-in your subclass, the game then gives you a duplicate subclass that you can level up in a different way. Maybe that is all the third slot is for?

On another note, are we able to switch between subclasses on the fly, just as we do with our other inventory? Is there a penalty?
I.e. once I have access to both, am I able to simply switch between being a Gunslinger hunter to a Blade dancer Hunter at will?

That was my understanding

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Monday, July 28, 2014, 14:47 (3562 days ago) @ Blue_Blazer_NZ

- No text -

Third Subclass and Switching?

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Monday, July 28, 2014, 15:07 (3562 days ago) @ Blue_Blazer_NZ

I understand that once you level up and lock-in your subclass, the game then gives you a duplicate subclass that you can level up in a different way. Maybe that is all the third slot is for?

Hmmm... if you're right about the duplicate, then maybe so. I just don't remember seeing that mentioned anywhere.

On another note, are we able to switch between subclasses on the fly, just as we do with our other inventory? Is there a penalty?
I.e. once I have access to both, am I able to simply switch between being a Gunslinger hunter to a Blade dancer Hunter at will?

I think so. Couldn't test in the beta because the second subclass wasn't actually usable due to level restrictions, but it certainly looked like it was a switchable inventory item, just like any of your weapons or armor.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Monday, July 28, 2014, 16:25 (3562 days ago) @ stabbim

As you may have noticed, each Guardian focus seems to be centered around a certain damage type. The Warlock's Voidwalker focus, for instance, is (duh) based around void damage. The six focuses we could see in the beta went as follows:

Warlock:

Voidwalker - Void
Sunsinger - Solar

So that means Arc is left... hmmm... Skykiller?

[image]

SPACE MAGIC!

Something something something Darkness?

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, July 28, 2014, 16:27 (3562 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

- No text -

The Darkness!

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Monday, July 28, 2014, 16:32 (3562 days ago) @ Ragashingo

- No text -

How do damage types work, anyway?

by ShadowOfTheVoid ⌂, South Carolina, Monday, July 28, 2014, 16:30 (3562 days ago) @ stabbim

Was this ever discussed? I never figured out what enemies are vulnerable to which damage type.

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Monday, July 28, 2014, 16:33 (3562 days ago) @ ShadowOfTheVoid

At least with shields, I got the impression white shields were weaker to Arc damage and orange ones to solar. I managed to confirm my suspicions with the white one, but couldn't with the orange.

Also, I'm pretty sure the Devil Walker was resistant to Void damage.

by DaDerga, Baile Átha Cliath, Monday, July 28, 2014, 16:38 (3562 days ago) @ ZackDark

Also, I'm pretty sure the Devil Walker was resistant to Void damage.

Really? That's not the impression that I got. In what way?

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Monday, July 28, 2014, 17:47 (3562 days ago) @ DaDerga

Dunno. My Void Rocket Launcher seemed to do a lot less damage than my impact one, even though they both had the same Attack rating.

Interesting.

by DaDerga, Baile Átha Cliath, Monday, July 28, 2014, 17:57 (3562 days ago) @ ZackDark

Last time I fought one, I dropped two vortex grenades and a nova bomb, and they seemed to do a fair whack of damage all. Further observation required.

Right

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Monday, July 28, 2014, 18:04 (3562 days ago) @ DaDerga

It didn't stop me from dropping as many Vortex grenades and Nova Bombs on it.

The "melee hits recharge your grenade ability" perks were the best. ;)

Right

by DaDerga, Baile Átha Cliath, Monday, July 28, 2014, 18:17 (3562 days ago) @ ZackDark

The "melee hits recharge your grenade ability" perks were the best. ;)

I absolutely loved that perk. Blow to throw, belt to pelt. ;)

Right

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Monday, July 28, 2014, 18:28 (3562 days ago) @ DaDerga

I'm not usually a gung-ho player, jumping into action and all. I usually stay way far back, pinging enemies with BR- or DMR-like fire.

That perk alone completely changed my play-style. With a Warlock, no less!

Well played, Bungie. Well played.

Right

by petetheduck, Monday, July 28, 2014, 18:33 (3562 days ago) @ ZackDark

I'm not usually a gung-ho player, jumping into action and all. I usually stay way far back, pinging enemies with BR- or DMR-like fire.

This is me, which is why that sniper rifle I found that collects any ammo I shoot was super awesome.

I maxed my discipline rating and also had a Scout rifle that reduced my grenade cooldown with each kill. Lots of grenades.

Whoa, wait...!

by Oholiab @, Monday, July 28, 2014, 20:08 (3562 days ago) @ petetheduck

which is why that sniper rifle I found that collects any ammo I shoot was super awesome.

...what is this magical weapon of which ye speak?!

It's an upgrade

by RC ⌂, UK, Monday, July 28, 2014, 21:01 (3562 days ago) @ Oholiab

To some uncommon sniper rifles. No need to run over to ammo to get it - just aim and fire. Never got the chance to use it myself.

Some of the upgrades to weapons and armour in this game are pretty wild.

I had this helmet that would make your melee faster. And I once got a level 9 shotgun (that I couldn't use) that would give you a longer slide. I really want to try that out.

Right at the end, in PvP I started using this rocket launcher with a proximity sensor in the warhead. No need to aim at walls or the floor to get a detonation: just aim it right at them and it would burst in the air and kill them. I got a few sweet kills like that.

It's an upgrade

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, July 28, 2014, 21:10 (3562 days ago) @ RC

My favorites were my scout rifle that recharged my grenade with each kill and my rocket launcher that reloaded really fast when it killed someone which, unless you're Beorn, should be just about every shot. :)

It was lagging!

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Monday, July 28, 2014, 21:19 (3562 days ago) @ Ragashingo

- No text -

Your aim?

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, July 28, 2014, 21:19 (3562 days ago) @ Beorn

- No text -

Your Internet connection.

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Monday, July 28, 2014, 21:23 (3562 days ago) @ Ragashingo

- No text -

Right

by DaDerga, Baile Átha Cliath, Monday, July 28, 2014, 18:58 (3562 days ago) @ ZackDark

That perk alone completely changed my play-style. With a Warlock, no less!

Well played, Bungie. Well played.

I find myself in total agreement with you on this. Well played indeed.

by Blue_Blazer_NZ, Wellington, New Zealand, Monday, July 28, 2014, 16:52 (3562 days ago) @ ShadowOfTheVoid

I found the Hive were especially vulnerable to Solar damage (Wizards orange shields get destroyed by it). The fallen captains had their shields ripped apart by Arc damage too.

by Durandal, Monday, July 28, 2014, 18:48 (3562 days ago) @ stabbim

I'm voting for 3 sub classes each. This game seems to work in 3s. 3 main classes, 3 sub classes, 3 weapon slots, etc.

One damage type for each class also works out well. So far I'm guessing each class will have one close in super, one ranged super, and one support super. The Hunter has the ranged golden gun and the short ranged knife. The Titan has the close in hammer and the support shield. The warlock has the ranged bomb, and support solar. So it would make sense to add a more ranged power to the Titan, a close in type to the warlock and a support power to the Hunter.

What I forgot to check is if the movement types were the same across the subclasses or not. I was fairly certain I saw the hunter blink in one of the previews, but the two subclasses shown only had jump.

Warlock had Blink as well

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Monday, July 28, 2014, 18:55 (3562 days ago) @ Durandal

- No text -

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Monday, July 28, 2014, 18:56 (3562 days ago) @ Durandal
edited by Xenos, Monday, July 28, 2014, 19:02

What I forgot to check is if the movement types were the same across the subclasses or not. I was fairly certain I saw the hunter blink in one of the previews, but the two subclasses shown only had jump.

Bladedancer has Blink, it's the last option in the Jump column and it replaces double jump.

by Blue_Blazer_NZ, Wellington, New Zealand, Monday, July 28, 2014, 18:58 (3562 days ago) @ Durandal

I believe the Blade Dancer subclass actually does have a Blink-type ability.

I hope the game comes with a physical manual.

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Monday, July 28, 2014, 20:36 (3562 days ago) @ stabbim

- No text -

I support that on principle

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Monday, July 28, 2014, 20:38 (3562 days ago) @ Leviathan

- No text -

Agreed.

by ShadowOfTheVoid ⌂, South Carolina, Wednesday, July 30, 2014, 16:42 (3560 days ago) @ RaichuKFM

The disappearance of printed instruction manuals over the last couple of years has been very disappointing. When I opened my copy of Halo 4, I thought that maybe I just got a copy of the game that didn't have one. Then my roommate got his copy and I realized that it really didn't come with a manual. Little did I know that this would start to become a lot more common. Nintendo are the only ones that seem to include manuals, and even then they're vastly simplified compared to what they once were.

Agreed.

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Wednesday, July 30, 2014, 17:03 (3560 days ago) @ ShadowOfTheVoid

The disappearance of printed instruction manuals over the last couple of years has been very disappointing. When I opened my copy of Halo 4, I thought that maybe I just got a copy of the game that didn't have one. Then my roommate got his copy and I realized that it really didn't come with a manual. Little did I know that this would start to become a lot more common. Nintendo are the only ones that seem to include manuals, and even then they're vastly simplified compared to what they once were.

The best manuals truly supplement and help build the universe of the game, besides helping you play it.

I can see some games not needing them, sure. But even playing in LEGO games I've gotten confused as to which modes have certain special bricks, etc. They don't have to be super-long. Just a nice little reference...

But if you're going to be badass, yes, make a manual like the textbook that came with Morrowind, or heck make two from different perspectives, like Halo 2! Put a copy online or on mobile or whatever, sure, but give me something in a form that I can enjoy without having to look at another glowing screen (or having to own a smartphone).

Destiny is a pretty complicated game and there's a lot of numbers and a lot of modes. I really hope it has a decent manual at the least, because after a week and a half with the Beta, I still honestly don't know some of things people are talking about. Like this thread!

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread