raiddestiny.com (Destiny)

by kapowaz, Sunday, August 03, 2014, 17:41 (3573 days ago)

http://www.raiddestiny.com

A site that sets out to fill in the missing gap from no matchmade raids in Destiny by letting people sign up with complete strangers. It's weird seeing stuff like this pop up. On the one hand it's great that players come up with enterprising solutions to a problem, but on the other hand it's sad seeing it need to exist in the first place.

raiddestiny.com

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Sunday, August 03, 2014, 17:44 (3573 days ago) @ kapowaz

He says, posting to a decades long running Bungie community site. :p

It looks kinda interesting, but right now my plan is to just throw a post up here a day or a few hours before and see if anyone wants to join in.

raiddestiny.com

by Doooskey, Kansas City, MO, Sunday, August 03, 2014, 18:07 (3573 days ago) @ Ragashingo

He says, posting to a decades long running Bungie community site. :p

It looks kinda interesting, but right now my plan is to just throw a post up here a day or a few hours before and see if anyone wants to join in.

Same plan here.

raiddestiny.com

by kapowaz, Sunday, August 03, 2014, 18:15 (3573 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Now that I look at exactly what they've implemented it's kind of basic for now. What is be interested in seeing is something akin to OpenRaid, since that has a full calendar scheduling tool. Much more appropriate for organising an event that could last a couple of hours of so.

raiddestiny.com

by electricpirate @, Sunday, August 03, 2014, 18:06 (3573 days ago) @ kapowaz

http://www.raiddestiny.com

A site that sets out to fill in the missing gap from no matchmade raids in Destiny by letting people sign up with complete strangers. It's weird seeing stuff like this pop up. On the one hand it's great that players come up with enterprising solutions to a problem, but on the other hand it's sad seeing it need to exist in the first place.

That's part of the goal though right? Someone who's gone through some third party channel to find people willing to raid is far less likely to just say "fuck all" and grief/go awol/not know the rules/ be a dick etc.

raiddestiny.com

by kapowaz, Sunday, August 03, 2014, 18:10 (3573 days ago) @ electricpirate

That's part of the goal though right? Someone who's gone through some third party channel to find people willing to raid is far less likely to just say "fuck all" and grief/go awol/not know the rules/ be a dick etc.

I imagine that's more likely (but probably not a guarantee!) - kind of a shame that jumping through hoops to demonstrate you're not an asshat is even needed though, eh?

Personally I'm not sold on Raids needing matchmaking, but I do think we need more ways I engage socially in-game, since that's what leads to meeting new friends who you can do Raids with.

raiddestiny.com

by electricpirate @, Sunday, August 03, 2014, 18:23 (3573 days ago) @ kapowaz

I imagine that's more likely (but probably not a guarantee!) - kind of a shame that jumping through hoops to demonstrate you're not an asshat is even needed though, eh?

Personally I'm not sold on Raids needing matchmaking, but I do think we need more ways I engage socially in-game, since that's what leads to meeting new friends who you can do Raids with.

Yea I agree with that.

I think the issue that people feel left out of the raid isn't as much the matchmaking, it's the fact that Bungie is developing a significant chunk of content that apparently requires such tight coordination between 6 people that they don't feel it's feasible with randoms.e. I think the core design is the issue people dislike, rather than matchmaking. That hard requirement to get 6 people working in synch makes it really interesting, and guarantees I probably won't be able to ever experience it.

Actually, if the 6 man raid works out, I'd love to see that philosophy brought to 3 person content. That's much more feasible for me.

raiddestiny.com

by DaDerga, Baile Átha Cliath, Sunday, August 03, 2014, 18:27 (3573 days ago) @ electricpirate

That hard requirement to get 6 people working in synch makes it really interesting, and guarantees I probably won't be able to ever experience it.

If you don't mind me asking, why not?

raiddestiny.com

by electricpirate @, Sunday, August 03, 2014, 19:31 (3573 days ago) @ DaDerga

That hard requirement to get 6 people working in synch makes it really interesting, and guarantees I probably won't be able to ever experience it.

If you don't mind me asking, why not?

Time requirements + tiny apartment with a baby. I'm a graduate student pursuing an MFA in Game design with an 11 month old. My current plan is to not get Destiny till after I graduate next june, as I have maybe an hour to burn on games I'm not making every week. And judging from my Beta time (woo summer break) I'd get totally obsessed and F' myself over. The tiny apartment means wheN I play at night I can't use a mic, as the TV is next to the babies room. I'm figuring by the time i"ve jumped on the bandwagon I'm going to be a bout a year behind on content, and won't find anyone to play with :\

raiddestiny.com

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Sunday, August 03, 2014, 19:41 (3573 days ago) @ electricpirate

I'm figuring by the time i"ve jumped on the bandwagon I'm going to be a bout a year behind on content, and won't find anyone to play with :\

Hardly. We'll all be here, happy to Raid with you. :)

d'ahhhh *hugs*

by electricpirate @, Sunday, August 03, 2014, 19:57 (3573 days ago) @ ZackDark

- No text -

raiddestiny.com

by DaDerga, Baile Átha Cliath, Monday, August 04, 2014, 02:58 (3573 days ago) @ electricpirate

Time requirements + tiny apartment with a baby. I'm a graduate student pursuing an MFA in Game design with an 11 month old. My current plan is to not get Destiny till after I graduate next june, as I have maybe an hour to burn on games I'm not making every week. And judging from my Beta time (woo summer break) I'd get totally obsessed and F' myself over. The tiny apartment means wheN I play at night I can't use a mic, as the TV is next to the babies room. I'm figuring by the time i've jumped on the bandwagon I'm going to be a bout a year behind on content, and won't find anyone to play with :\

Aha, I understand. Well I'll be on the One with at least two others and more than likely four to five. I'll post in here when a raiding we will go. Keep your eyes peeled.

raiddestiny.com

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Monday, August 04, 2014, 12:50 (3572 days ago) @ kapowaz

kind of a shame that jumping through hoops to demonstrate you're not an asshat is even needed though, eh?

I dunno, every time I go into any kind of matchmaking, I almost immediately wish for asshat hoops. ;)

raiddestiny.com

by petetheduck, Sunday, August 03, 2014, 18:46 (3573 days ago) @ kapowaz

I'm inclined to take Bungie's word for it until I have sufficient information to make a reasonable judgement.

I also don't like randoms. Kept dying during the Strike. I'm not reviving you. You keep dying. Seriously, why are you in front of the Devil Walker.

Sigh.

raiddestiny.com

by Avateur @, Sunday, August 03, 2014, 18:51 (3573 days ago) @ petetheduck

I'm inclined to take Bungie's word for it until I have sufficient information to make a reasonable judgement.

I also don't like randoms. Kept dying during the Strike. I'm not reviving you. You keep dying. Seriously, why are you in front of the Devil Walker.

Sigh.

In all fairness, Devil Walker is so boring that I decided to mix it up some, and I died like 9000 times to it and bluerunner had to keep reviving me. It was hilarious because just about the exact moment he would revive me, it would fire its big cannon of doom at him, hit me, and I'd auto-die again. You could hear his kid in the background laughing and making fun of me for dying AGAIN over and over again. :P

I guess what I'm saying is, you don't just need randoms to have someone stupid on your team! :D

raiddestiny.com

by gardeneel, Sacramento, California, Sunday, August 03, 2014, 18:59 (3573 days ago) @ Avateur

I've definitely died to the devil walker multiple times because I got bored of standing across the map shooting its legs with my scout rifle. This only really happens because of random bad people though - I've found a group of three who know what's up will finish the walker pretty fast.

raiddestiny.com

by bluerunner @, Music City, Sunday, August 03, 2014, 19:10 (3573 days ago) @ Avateur

Sigh.

In all fairness, Devil Walker is so boring that I decided to mix it up some, and I died like 9000 times to it and bluerunner had to keep reviving me. It was hilarious because just about the exact moment he would revive me, it would fire its big cannon of doom at him, hit me, and I'd auto-die again. You could hear his kid in the background laughing and making fun of me for dying AGAIN over and over again. :P

I guess what I'm saying is, you don't just need randoms to have someone stupid on your team! :D

It's hard to have a negative k/d in PvE, but we found a way.

raiddestiny.com

by gardeneel, Sacramento, California, Sunday, August 03, 2014, 18:56 (3573 days ago) @ petetheduck

I don't like randoms either. It's just ... I barely even talk to six humans regularly. I'll manage 6 somehow, but only because I like Destiny so much.

raiddestiny.com

by kapowaz, Monday, August 04, 2014, 03:06 (3573 days ago) @ petetheduck

That's not very charitable. Everyone has to learn sometime.

raiddestiny.com

by petetheduck, Monday, August 04, 2014, 04:20 (3573 days ago) @ kapowaz

That's not very charitable. Everyone has to learn sometime.

That's fine, as long as it isn't on my time. I'm here to kill Fallen and Hive, not babysit Guardians.

raiddestiny.com

by kapowaz, Monday, August 04, 2014, 06:09 (3573 days ago) @ petetheduck

That's fine, as long as it isn't on my time. I'm here to kill Fallen and Hive, not babysit Guardians.

I'm sure you dropped into combat the first time as a fully-formed killing machine, never needing to learn anything and never making any mistakes, right?

raiddestiny.com

by petetheduck, Monday, August 04, 2014, 06:21 (3573 days ago) @ kapowaz

I'm sure you dropped into combat the first time as a fully-formed killing machine, never needing to learn anything and never making any mistakes, right?

What is wrong with me wanting to play with people who already know what they're doing? I'm not obligated to be some sort of mentor that shows random players the ropes.

raiddestiny.com

by kapowaz, Monday, August 04, 2014, 06:27 (3573 days ago) @ petetheduck

What is wrong with me wanting to play with people who already know what they're doing? I'm not obligated to be some sort of mentor that shows random players the ropes.

Nothing at all, I just think that it's a little bit uncharitable to not have patience with people who aren't clear on what they should be doing in the very first Strike of a game in beta. It does make me wonder though: what will happen a little later on in Strikes etc. if you do find yourself with somebody who hasn't a clue. Do you get to vote to replace them? How will that work?

Semi-related (raid matchmaking post)

by Blue_Blazer_NZ, Wellington, New Zealand, Sunday, August 03, 2014, 19:53 (3573 days ago) @ kapowaz

Not mine, but a guy on NeoGAF has made a pretty long, but well argued post defending the non-matchmaking decision for Raids.

I pretty much agree with most, if not all of it.

by kapowaz, Monday, August 04, 2014, 03:22 (3573 days ago) @ Blue_Blazer_NZ

He makes good points, but they're also questions which have inevitably been asked before for other games.

You get matchmade with five other players that also use Arc-weapons? Good luck against this Arc-resistant boss!

Requiring that players carry around a second (presumably inferior) weapon just to ensure they have a damage type that isn't resisted isn't interesting gameplay. I really hope this hypothetical example doesn't come to pass in the released game. I much prefer the idea that bosses require you to change what type of weapon within a class you use, e.g. Auto Rifle vs Scout Rifle. Blizzard used to include so-called 'resistance encounters' in its World of Warcraft raids, but thankfully they made the decision to drop them. Having a mandatory meta-game step of acquiring a whole load of gear just for that fight was a terrible chore that wasn't fun.

And on the technical side of things; how would the checkpoints even work? You get to a certain checkpoint and quit. Two days later, you want to pick up again, but the randoms you worked with earlier have progressed further or aren't online.

Blizzard solved this by breaking the matchmade version of each raid into smaller chunks, each lasting 30-45 minutes. You would then queue for that section of the raid, assuming you had unlocked it by already completing the previous chunk. That's a no brainer to me, plus it's far more time-friendly to those who can't commit to a solid 2 hours of gaming without interruption (how many people can, anyway?) - I've been able to experience the developing storyline of the past two WoW expansions without committing to endgame raiding thanks to this.

These are difficult challenges when designing a game like Destiny, but they're also solved problems if you look at the state of the art elsewhere. Maybe there are some other reasons they felt they couldn't do things this way that will only become apparent once you play a raid, but it seems like that might not happen soon for a lot of players.

You don't 'get' Destiny

by RC ⌂, UK, Monday, August 04, 2014, 05:56 (3573 days ago) @ kapowaz

Requiring that players carry around a second (presumably inferior) weapon just to ensure they have a damage type that isn't resisted isn't interesting gameplay.

You think those 9 spare slots for each item of gear are for nothing? They're so you can customise to the individual mission or even encounter if you want.

It was already evident in the Alpha and I came on here and told everyone that switching between weapons of the same type (shotgun->shotgun, MG->MG) carried no ammo penalty. Something like that doesn't just get dropped in with no reason.

You can have duplicates that are equally powerful, just of different damage types. Already happened in the Beta: I was rolling around with 2 Gozen-C Sniper Rifles, one Arc and one Solar. Aim right, with the right damage type, and most Fallen Captains and Hive Wizards dropped in a single shot.

How do you think Cody was able to take out the Wizard in a single burst of his Fusion Rifle? Correct damage type

I did the same thing in the Alpha - except with a Solar Rocket Launcher.

This is not unprecedented: in Halo it was Plasma for shields, bullets for health.

Ever tried played with the Tilt skull on? Shoot an Elite all day with an Assault Rifle if you like - all you'll get is a mocking 'wort wort wort'.

Gear too: I did some Ability-only runs in the Beta to see if it was possible (it is). Eventually I realised I could sacrifice a little defence, to use a helmet that sped up my melees, maximise my stats for grenade recharge, balance the other pieces to up my throwing knife recharge, etc.

I much prefer the idea that bosses require you to change what type of weapon within a class you use, e.g. Auto Rifle vs Scout Rifle.

There is really not much difference between the primaries other than range and handling properties. All the ones we've seen just do standard 'kinetic' damage.

Inventory Hell

by kapowaz, Monday, August 04, 2014, 06:05 (3573 days ago) @ RC

You think those 9 spare slots for each item of gear are for nothing? They're so you can customise to the individual mission or even encounter if you want.

That wasn't really exhibited in the beta, but maybe you're right that that'll become more necessary in the later stages of the game. If that's the case, though, I think the UI is going to become a real pain in the arse. I found switching weapons really irritating because it was very hard to remember which weapon had which scope options etc.

How do you think Cody was able to take out the Wizard in a single burst of his Fusion Rifle? Correct damage type

I did the same thing in the Alpha - except with a Solar Rocket Launcher.

It's notable that you're talking about special and heavy weapons here, not your bread and butter primary. I guess we'll see how often a good variety of specials/heavies drop, but the trouble is that asking players to keep these around cluttering up your inventory just in case isn't especially fun either. We shall see.

P.S. ‘You don't 'get' Destiny’? Uncalled for.

Inventory Hell

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, August 04, 2014, 09:11 (3572 days ago) @ kapowaz

P.S. ‘You don't 'get' Destiny’? Uncalled for.

But you don't. You keep comparing it to WoW and other MMO games. You or I have no idea what the challenges of the raid are going to be (other than the shown coordinating jumping puzzle). You lack the imagination to see where switching between primary weapons was beneficial in the alpha / beta. I switched between Scout rifle and Auto Rifle a lot. WoW is shitty and if you aren't geared right you lose, whereas in Destiny it seems your skill can make up. I'm sure you can beat the Vault of Glass perfectly fine without the "Corrective Measure" Machine Gun that does bonus damage to the oracles. But if you have it then it's a bonus.

Get hype man. I see plenty wrong with Destiny, but I'm super excited for the parts that aren't.

Inventory Hell

by kapowaz, Monday, August 04, 2014, 09:35 (3572 days ago) @ Cody Miller

But you don't. You keep comparing it to WoW and other MMO games. You or I have no idea what the challenges of the raid are going to be (other than the shown coordinating jumping puzzle).

Cody; you're the last person to start preaching about who does or doesn't ‘get’ a game. Come back when you've actually played some of these games you're so disparaging about. You literally don't understand them. You don't understand investment systems or why other players would enjoy them, so again: come back when you ‘get’ those.

You're acting as if comparing it to MMOs is a crazy, out there idea. Funny then, that that's what most of the big games news sites are doing too:

http://www.polygon.com/2014/4/28/5661202/destiny-halo-bungie-friends-list
http://www.polygon.com/2014/5/19/5730492/destiny-bungie-multiplayer-trailer
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-07-21-five-talking-points-from-the-weekends-destiny-beta
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-06-21-destiny-how-to-save-online-worlds
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/11/e3-2013-destiny-gameplay-revealed
http://www.ign.com/blogs/rsg2033/2014/07/24/how-bungies-destiny-beta-compares-to-halo-and-world-of-warcraft

There are loads of things about Destiny that are very different to any MMO. But there are undeniably lots of things that are similar. You're right, I don't know anything about what Raids will be like. But given what we've seen, we can make some speculative guesses. I'm dubious of there being a mandatory requirement for carrying multiple damage-type weapons of the same class, simply because it would put yet another prerequisite in the way of participating in raids. Don't happen to have a good special weapon that does Void damage? Then you'd better go farm for hours to get one, or wait for one to pop up at the cryptarch! Given your aversion to grinding, I'm sure you can see the problem there.

You lack the imagination to see where switching between primary weapons was beneficial in the alpha / beta. I switched between Scout rifle and Auto Rifle a lot.

As did I. I levelled up several different shotguns, auto-rifles, scout rifles, pulse rifles, sniper rifles and rocket launchers to try them all out and see how they behaved differently. By and large, in the majority of the content that was available to us they didn't make too much difference. Killing Wizards in one shot with a particular damage type weapon is a good example of how they can make a difference, but there's nothing to stop you killing them the ordinary way.

WoW is shitty and if you aren't geared right you lose, whereas in Destiny it seems your skill can make up.

If you don't believe there's both a skill and gear component in both of these games then that's just another statement of ignorance.

Get hype man. I see plenty wrong with Destiny, but I'm super excited for the parts that aren't.

So am I.

Inventory Hell

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, August 04, 2014, 10:06 (3572 days ago) @ kapowaz
edited by Cody Miller, Monday, August 04, 2014, 10:12

Cody; you're the last person to start preaching about who does or doesn't ‘get’ a game. Come back when you've actually played some of these games you're so disparaging about. You literally don't understand them. You don't understand investment systems or why other players would enjoy them, so again: come back when you ‘get’ those.

I play every game I criticize. Except in cases like Morning Star where I know it is bad because it embraces broken game design ideas. I feel like I understand the fundamentals of investment systems better than any journalist and most theorists writing about games, and certainly more than the developers themselves from a creative perspective (they have of course mastered the business perspective).

You're acting as if comparing it to MMOs is a crazy, out there idea. Funny then, that that's what most of the big games news sites are doing too:

http://www.polygon.com/2014/4/28/5661202/destiny-halo-bungie-friends-list
http://www.polygon.com/2014/5/19/5730492/destiny-bungie-multiplayer-trailer
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-07-21-five-talking-points-from-the-weekends-destiny-beta
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-06-21-destiny-how-to-save-online-worlds
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/11/e3-2013-destiny-gameplay-revealed
http://www.ign.com/blogs/rsg2033/2014/07/24/how-bungies-destiny-beta-compares-to-halo-and-world-of-warcraft

There are very few game journalists who are intelligent and can properly analyze a video game. None of the ones you linked are. Destiny appears to be an MMO with strong FPS elements. Those FPS elements are the key, and completely change the nature of the game. Just like Deus Ex is an RPG with Strong FPS elements, but it doesn't feel or play like any other RPG, does it? In fact, if Destiny did not have these strong FPS elements, but either had weak ones or none at all, then I would not even be interested in it.

Don't happen to have a good special weapon that does Void damage? Then you'd better go farm for hours to get one, or wait for one to pop up at the cryptarch! Given your aversion to grinding, I'm sure you can see the problem there.

This is 100% a problem. One of many.

If you don't believe there's both a skill and gear component in both of these games then that's just another statement of ignorance.

Never said that, learn to read. I'l make it clear for you: gear in WoW is a bigger factor than gear in Destiny, and skill in Destiny is a bigger factor than skill in WoW.

Just… wow.

by kapowaz, Monday, August 04, 2014, 10:14 (3572 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I understand the fundamentals of investment systems better than any journalist

There are very few game journalists who are intelligent and can properly analyze a video game.

I'm just going to leave these two here on their own; I think your arrogance speaks for itself.

Inventory Hell

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Monday, August 04, 2014, 11:13 (3572 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I play every game I criticize. Except in cases like Morning Star where I know it is bad because it embraces broken game design ideas. I feel like I understand the fundamentals of investment systems better than any journalist and most theorists writing about games, and certainly more than the developers themselves from a creative perspective (they have of course mastered the business perspective).

Why?

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, August 04, 2014, 07:49 (3573 days ago) @ kapowaz

These are difficult challenges when designing a game like Destiny, but they're also solved problems if you look at the state of the art elsewhere. Maybe there are some other reasons they felt they couldn't do things this way that will only become apparent once you play a raid, but it seems like that might not happen soon for a lot of players.

We'll see. The B in DBO stands for Bungie, not Blizzard, and I say vive la différence!

After all, Bungie has redefined the state of the art before.

by kapowaz, Monday, August 04, 2014, 09:36 (3572 days ago) @ Kermit

We'll see. The B in DBO stands for Bungie, not Blizzard, and I say vive la différence!

Not-invented-here syndrome is genuinely not a good thing. Learn from others’ lessons if you can!

After all, Bungie has redefined the state of the art before.

True enough. I'm still pumped to see how they've done this.

by Claude Errera @, Monday, August 04, 2014, 10:14 (3572 days ago) @ kapowaz

Not-invented-here syndrome is genuinely not a good thing. Learn from others’ lessons if you can!

Not what Kermit said, or even implied. Bungie has incorporated plenty of 3rd party tech over the years - when it works for them. (They replaced their own physics system with Havok in Halo 2 or 3, and never looked back. Havok is still in use in Destiny.)

What they've always been pretty good at is figuring out WHAT WORKS FOR THEIR NEEDS - and if existing tech doesn't solve the problem at hand, they build their own tools. That's not not-invented-here syndrome - that's "we're not going to shoehorn our ideas into someone else's solution" syndrome.

by kapowaz, Monday, August 04, 2014, 10:26 (3572 days ago) @ Claude Errera

What they've always been pretty good at is figuring out WHAT WORKS FOR THEIR NEEDS - and if existing tech doesn't solve the problem at hand, they build their own tools. That's not not-invented-here syndrome - that's "we're not going to shoehorn our ideas into someone else's solution" syndrome.

They're not mutually exclusive. I wasn't actually saying that they are succumbing to not-invented-here syndrome, just stating that it is bad. We agree on that at least, don't we?

by Claude Errera @, Monday, August 04, 2014, 10:27 (3572 days ago) @ kapowaz

They're not mutually exclusive. I wasn't actually saying that they are succumbing to not-invented-here syndrome, just stating that it is bad. We agree on that at least, don't we?

Yep. We probably agree that murder is bad, too, but it's no more relevant to this discussion than your comment.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Monday, August 04, 2014, 12:58 (3572 days ago) @ kapowaz

Blizzard solved this by breaking the matchmade version of each raid into smaller chunks, each lasting 30-45 minutes. You would then queue for that section of the raid, assuming you had unlocked it by already completing the previous chunk. That's a no brainer to me, plus it's far more time-friendly to those who can't commit to a solid 2 hours of gaming without interruption (how many people can, anyway?) - I've been able to experience the developing storyline of the past two WoW expansions without committing to endgame raiding thanks to this.

To be fair, I don't think we know that it doesn't work that way yet. Something one of the devs said in an interview or vidoc recently made me think the Raid(s) were broken up into chunks which could be done progressively. I wish I could remember exactly who and where this was - I didn't know at the time that I'd need to reference it later. And I'm, uh... not really in a position to watch gaming-related videos right this moment. :)

A Reference Here

by DaDerga, Baile Átha Cliath, Monday, August 04, 2014, 13:38 (3572 days ago) @ stabbim
edited by DaDerga, Monday, August 04, 2014, 13:45

Raids will be made easier to beat in several sessions by the ability to store your insertion points each week - meaning your group can break off and rejoin at a later time.

Progress and loot eligibility is then reset every seven days - meaning you can only gain rewards from an encounter once per week.

From the article I linked to in this post — Eurogamer.

Edit: Post title for clarity.

Luke Smith Explains

by DaDerga, Baile Átha Cliath, Monday, August 04, 2014, 04:01 (3573 days ago) @ kapowaz

That barrier to entry - the requirement that you get a group of people together and venture into something that is going to challenge your ability to work together (first) and your thumbs (second) - is a barrier I was willing to erect to preserve the activity goals.

Article here.

Luke Smith Explains

by Blue_Blazer_NZ, Wellington, New Zealand, Monday, August 04, 2014, 04:09 (3573 days ago) @ DaDerga

That barrier to entry - the requirement that you get a group of people together and venture into something that is going to challenge your ability to work together (first) and your thumbs (second) - is a barrier I was willing to erect to preserve the activity goals.

Article here.

Either way, I'm Impressed he's directly stamping his own name on that decision personally.

Luke Smith Explains

by DaDerga, Baile Átha Cliath, Monday, August 04, 2014, 04:22 (3573 days ago) @ Blue_Blazer_NZ

Yeah, you don't normally see direct ownership of decisions being made publically. I hope people are reasonable and respect the fact that it's a deliberate design choice and it seems that they have solid concerns driving that choice.

Luke Smith Explains

by kapowaz, Monday, August 04, 2014, 06:08 (3573 days ago) @ DaDerga

Being opinionated about a design direction is something I have a lot of respect for. Time will tell whether or not it was a good decision, though. I'm sort of 80/20 — I think it'll work, but I think it'll shut out a lot of players at the same time. A design decision which means that only a minority of your customers get to experience the product fully is a risky one.

Luke Smith Explains

by DaDerga, Baile Átha Cliath, Monday, August 04, 2014, 06:31 (3573 days ago) @ kapowaz

A design decision which means that only a minority of your customers get to experience the product fully is a risky one.

It's a risk no doubt. I'd imagine it's something they've given a lot of long and considered thought to. Personally, I'm of the opinion that people are making a big deal over not being able to field a full squad for raids, I don't see that being the case in actuality.

Luke Smith Explains

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, August 04, 2014, 07:40 (3573 days ago) @ kapowaz

Being opinionated about a design direction is something I have a lot of respect for. Time will tell whether or not it was a good decision, though. I'm sort of 80/20 — I think it'll work, but I think it'll shut out a lot of players at the same time. A design decision which means that only a minority of your customers get to experience the product fully is a risky one.

I don't know if it matters a whole lot. Isn't it true that most people don't finish campaigns? I can't imagine that (for a Bungie game anyway), but I'm reasonably confident that Destiny will still deliver good value to people who never go on a raid. And the people who want to go on raids will be motivated to find a way, and it sounds like raids, more than any other activity Bungie has offered before, will require a certain amount of player motivation for them to be positive experiences.

Luke Smith Explains

by Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) ⌂ @, London, Ontario, Canada, Monday, August 04, 2014, 08:50 (3572 days ago) @ kapowaz

A design decision which means that only a minority of your customers get to experience the product fully is a risky one.

Better a good experience by a minority than a bad experience by a majority. The number of complaints I remember hearing about doofuses screwing others around in match-made online co-op make me think Luke might have the right idea.

-- Steve's willing to wait and see the final product before judging, favourably or otherwise.

Luke Smith Explains

by kapowaz, Monday, August 04, 2014, 09:39 (3572 days ago) @ Anton P. Nym (aka Steve)

Better a good experience by a minority than a bad experience by a majority. The number of complaints I remember hearing about doofuses screwing others around in match-made online co-op make me think Luke might have the right idea.

Yeah… there does seem to be a greater tendency for console multiplayer to result in anti-social behaviour. I'm not sure what that's all about though?

Luke Smith Explains

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, August 04, 2014, 09:16 (3572 days ago) @ kapowaz

It seems to me, experiencing the raid fully can only be done going in with a known group of people. With matchmaking, an even bigger minority of customers would not get the full experience. Based on what he is saying, your analysis of the decision is completely backwards.

Luke Smith Explains

by kapowaz, Monday, August 04, 2014, 09:42 (3572 days ago) @ Cody Miller

It seems to me, experiencing the raid fully can only be done going in with a known group of people. With matchmaking, an even bigger minority of customers would not get the full experience.

Did you mean to say majority?

Based on what he is saying, your analysis of the decision is completely backwards.

So you think there's no risk involved in the decision? Why are people being vocal about it, then? Note that risk is not the same as oh god, they've completely fucked it up! — time will tell exactly how it plays out (and even then, I still guessed 80/20 that it'll work out well).

Luke Smith Explains

by Claude Errera @, Monday, August 04, 2014, 10:16 (3572 days ago) @ Blue_Blazer_NZ

Article here.

Either way, I'm Impressed he's directly stamping his own name on that decision personally.

The raid system has been hung on Luke's shoulders for as long as we've known about it. It's his baby.

Quitters

by squidnh3, Monday, August 04, 2014, 09:02 (3572 days ago) @ kapowaz

This seems like a pretty reasonable choice. Have you guys considered the effects of quitters on a hypothetical Matchmaking raid?

Quitters were/are pretty rampant in the more competitive Halo playlists (e.g., MLG). You could sometimes play 10 games in a row without ever actually finishing one. The philosophy seemed to be, "if at first things didn't work out, just quit." Very frustrating.

I can only imagine a Matchmaking raid where you finally get a team together that has the requisite gear, mics for proper communication, and then someone makes a mistake in the first area, some guy gets annoyed and rather than try again he quits, followed by everyone quitting because you need 6 people.

I think requiring people to put in a little work to ensure they have a good experience is a better option than allowing people to easily have a bad experience.

Quitters

by Yapok @, Monday, August 04, 2014, 09:19 (3572 days ago) @ squidnh3

Towards the end of the destiny beta I started seeing more crucible control games where people quit. Those were not as fun obviously and I hope it doesnt plague destiny.

Quitters

by kapowaz, Monday, August 04, 2014, 09:51 (3572 days ago) @ squidnh3

This seems like a pretty reasonable choice. Have you guys considered the effects of quitters on a hypothetical Matchmaking raid?

It's a very good point — I did one Strike where one guy left quite early on, and then during the seemingly endless slog against the Devil Walker my companion gave up and left. Eventually I got bored (I wasn't very well geared, so it seemed like the Devil Walker was barely budging in health) and left too.

It immediately got me thinking: what exactly are you supposed to do when this happens? Quit and queue again? Could Bungie in any way incentivise players to join a Strike that was already underway (perhaps some bonus glimmer or a chance at a nice item)?

In WoW this problem can be particularly bad if the player that leaves is one of the two essential roles for dungeons and raids: healers and tanks. In a dungeon you only have one of each, so if either leaves you usually can't continue until they're replaced. Blizzard chooses to prioritise re-filling groups missing a key role over starting a new dungeon, although you're not explicitly rewarded for that. They do incentivise queuing for any role that's in short supply, by offering a chance at cosmetic rewards (rare mount drops) for those that sign up.

Luckily Destiny doesn't make any class mandatory in that way, so that's less of a concern. Still, it'd be great if Bungie were able to prevent Strikes from falling apart once somebody leaves with something similar.

Quitters

by RC ⌂, UK, Monday, August 04, 2014, 10:26 (3572 days ago) @ kapowaz
edited by RC, Monday, August 04, 2014, 10:31

[...] join a Strike that was already underway [...]

I joined Strikes mid-way through several times during the Beta. The capability is already there.

Quitters

by kapowaz, Monday, August 04, 2014, 10:30 (3572 days ago) @ RC

Could Bungie in any way incentivise players to join a Strike that was already underway

I joined Strikes mid-way through several times during the Beta. The capability is already there.

That's great news! I wonder how / when it decides to drop replacements into a Strike in progress, then? It must have been a good 10 minutes we were down to 2 guardians on the above-mentioned run.

Quitters

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, August 04, 2014, 10:58 (3572 days ago) @ kapowaz

I know we specifically invited or had other DBOers elect to join us. I don't recall it ever matchmaking some random person in though.

I got dropped-in

by marmot 1333 @, Monday, August 04, 2014, 11:00 (3572 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I joined the Strike, and it put me at the Devil Walker.. but only once. I believe it dropped in another player at the same time (the third was already there.)

confirmed

by The Woaf, Portsmouth, UK, Monday, August 04, 2014, 11:21 (3572 days ago) @ marmot 1333

Happened to me too. The first time i tried the strike i went in with the missus and got paired up with a random at the Devil Walker.

I ended up being surprised by the earlier content on a later visit with a full fire team.

I've dropped in at every stage

by scarab @, Monday, August 04, 2014, 13:40 (3572 days ago) @ The Woaf

right up to spawning in the entrance corridor to the last level whilst two groups of high level fallen attacked from both ends. The other two guardians were camped in that corridor and where getting a pasting. I think that it took me a fair number of deaths to get out of that corridor - I tried to help the other two but they couldn't be helped so I switched tactics and jumped over the fallen and ran away from the corridor to the cover on the right-hand side and peppered the eyeball until it died.

Missing Space ships

by scarab @, Monday, August 04, 2014, 14:10 (3572 days ago) @ scarab

In the Alpha when I dropped in, I would arrive by solo spaceship. It was a good indicator that I was joining mid Strike.

In the Beta the other players' ships wouldn't be visible unless they had the same, or similar, ships as me. I had bought a different ship skin because I had too much glimmer.

6th Age problems

by rhubarb, Monday, August 04, 2014, 18:48 (3572 days ago) @ scarab

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread