The mystery subclasses? You decide! (Destiny)

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Tuesday, August 05, 2014, 08:23 (3561 days ago)

So, based off the alpha/beta we could see the current subclasses for each class:

Titan: Arc Striker, Void Defender

Hunter: Solar Gunslinger, Arc Bladedancer

Warlock: Void... Voidwalker, Solar Sunsinger

So, this begs the question, what is the last subclass for each class?

What can a Solar Titan do? Falcon Punch?

Void Hunter? Invis? Spooky Storytelling?

An Arc Warlock? Force Lightning? Unlimited Powah?

I wanna hear your thoughts DBO, I mean what makes sense in each class? What roles are fulfilled yet that can be?

The mystery subclasses? You decide!

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Tuesday, August 05, 2014, 08:43 (3561 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

The Titan is lacking a ranged Super.
The Hunter is lacking a supporting Super (other than murdering the enemy at range at least...)
and the Warlock is missing a melee Super.

Maybe those gaps will be filled too?

Well Considered

by DaDerga, Baile Átha Cliath, Tuesday, August 05, 2014, 08:52 (3561 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I'd actually be really happy if that turned out to be the case. An avenue for each available playstyle regardless of class choice. I would quite look forward to rolling a donnybrooking druid.

Or it might not be a third subclass.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Tuesday, August 05, 2014, 08:59 (3561 days ago) @ DaDerga

I seem to remember someone saying that after you lock in a subclass you could start a new one to tinker with. What if that third slot was just for your new subclass after you locked one in? For instance, I could lock in a gunslinger after I get it maxed out to get the extra agility boost, but then open up a second gunslinger slot to tinker with.

by Doooskey, Kansas City, MO, Tuesday, August 05, 2014, 09:06 (3561 days ago) @ bluerunner

I thought about this possibility, but it seems odd considering their emphasis on damage types and playing to the situation and advantages.

It fits the model I think we have seen if all 3 classes each have the 3 damage types available in their subclasses. Plus, with Bungie's love for holding back game details, it gives a huge potential to bring a surprise to the table.

I'm not over hoping for 3 or anything, but I think it's a possibility considering the gameplay model being presented.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Tuesday, August 05, 2014, 09:10 (3561 days ago) @ Doooskey

I hope it is a third, but I figured I would hold the possibility of no third just in case. Don't want to expect it too much or I'll be disappointed.

But on the subject of locked-in subclasses, will we be able to create a copy that isn't locked in? I feel like I heard that somewhere but I can't remember where.

by DaDerga, Baile Átha Cliath, Tuesday, August 05, 2014, 09:11 (3561 days ago) @ bluerunner

But on the subject of locked-in subclasses, will we be able to create a copy that isn't locked in? I feel like I heard that somewhere but I can't remember where.

You are correct.

by Doooskey, Kansas City, MO, Tuesday, August 05, 2014, 09:16 (3561 days ago) @ DaDerga

You are correct.

Hmm... If this is true, it seems less likely... Unless they weren't specific about how many copies you could make (although I am sure it is limited if possible).

Do you remember the original source of this little nugget?

by DaDerga, Baile Átha Cliath, Tuesday, August 05, 2014, 09:18 (3561 days ago) @ Doooskey

Leave it with me. I'll have to go digging.

Not Having Any Joy

by DaDerga, Baile Átha Cliath, Tuesday, August 05, 2014, 10:09 (3561 days ago) @ Doooskey

With tracking down the source of that conviction. Maybe someone else can remember where it was mentioned.

Found it.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Tuesday, August 05, 2014, 11:23 (3560 days ago) @ DaDerga

Thanks, electricpirate.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-04-30-how-destiny-turns-into-diablo-when-you-hit-the-level-cap

Destiny allows you to freely swap your ability choices, but according to Green there comes a point when you can lock them in. This gives your Guardian benefits, such as a stat boost. At this point you get a copy of the same focus, but that copy levels up much faster, thus allowing experimentation.

So based on that and the quote about only 2 foci, the third slot could indeed be just for a copy. If that's the case, does that mean we can only copy one focus?

That's The One!

by DaDerga, Baile Átha Cliath, Tuesday, August 05, 2014, 11:24 (3560 days ago) @ bluerunner

- No text -

You might be able to vault some like items

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Tuesday, August 05, 2014, 11:48 (3560 days ago) @ bluerunner

- No text -

Great, something interesting here.

by Doooskey, Kansas City, MO, Tuesday, August 05, 2014, 12:06 (3560 days ago) @ bluerunner

It doesn't seem to be written to say you can only lock one subclass. And since both subclasses have the locking option... I'd say this is good news for 2 reasons.

1. It means we (at the very least) get to lock our favorite subclass and have a fun speedily leveling experimental version.

2. It seems to me, to indicate that we should be able to do this at least once (and probably a max of once) to any subclass.

Now, especially considering the Vault... perhaps we can only carry a max of 3 subclasses anywhere we go, and the third slot is just to allow you to carry a "locked" or experimental one.

by Doooskey, Kansas City, MO, Tuesday, August 05, 2014, 09:14 (3561 days ago) @ bluerunner

I hope it is a third, but I figured I would hold the possibility of no third just in case. Don't want to expect it too much or I'll be disappointed.

I'm with you there, it would be great, but no need to get our hopes up.

Indeed

by DaDerga, Baile Átha Cliath, Tuesday, August 05, 2014, 09:10 (3561 days ago) @ bluerunner

I'm in no way expecting that there will be a third class, but it would fit and be a very pleasant surprise. I guess we'll find out next month. Woo Hoo!

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Tuesday, August 05, 2014, 10:59 (3561 days ago) @ Ragashingo

the Warlock is missing a melee Super.

Maybe those gaps will be filled too?

O_O... *!* :D THIS!

[image]

What Film Dat?

by DaDerga, Baile Átha Cliath, Tuesday, August 05, 2014, 11:33 (3560 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

- No text -

Fire Titan, wishlist

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Tuesday, August 05, 2014, 11:59 (3560 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

[image]

make it happen bungle

by electricpirate @, Tuesday, August 05, 2014, 10:46 (3561 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

So, based off the alpha/beta we could see the current subclasses for each class:

I wanna hear your thoughts DBO, I mean what makes sense in each class? What roles are fulfilled yet that can be?

First, I don't think everyone should get tehere hopes up for 3 subclasses on release, bungie confirmed that at launch each would have 2.

So I think, beyond the element, it's useful to look at the roles we have.

arc titan: Close range, melee, assault
void titan: TeamBuff/Protection

FireHunter: Range Damage, kiting, agility
Arc Hunter: Close range Melee, long range sniping, invisibility

Void Warlock: Nuker, Crowd control, area denial
Fire Warlock: DPS/DOT (Damage over Time) with some optional support abilities.

So what holes are the to fill?

Dedicated Healers
True tanks (ability to have enemies target you)
debuffers
Pets
Organizer/Commander

I'ts hard to pin down exactly, as the classes in Destiny all have a lot of overlap. Still I'm excited to see what comes down the pipe.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Tuesday, August 05, 2014, 10:56 (3561 days ago) @ electricpirate

First, I don't think everyone should get tehere hopes up for 3 subclasses on release, bungie confirmed that at launch each would have 2.

They did?

by electricpirate @, Tuesday, August 05, 2014, 11:03 (3561 days ago) @ Ragashingo

They did?

Yea, I think it was in the GameInformer preview where that was confirmed? Let me try to find it.

Source of two foci.

by electricpirate @, Tuesday, August 05, 2014, 11:10 (3560 days ago) @ electricpirate
edited by electricpirate, Tuesday, August 05, 2014, 11:17

Okay, sorry, I"m getting that from a Eurogamer preview which is based on a interview with Tyson. Unless they paraphrased him incorrectly, Destiny will launch with 2. I guess that's possible, but I'm setting expectations to "2 foci per class"

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-04-30-how-destiny-turns-into-diablo-when-you-hit-the-level-cap

Each of the three classes has access to a focus, a sort of tech tree, which carries your abilities within it. The core ability of all focuses is the super ability. But not all focuses, or super abilites, are available at the start of the game. You must level up to unlock them. The Titan, for example, begins the game with the Striker focus. Its super is called Fist of Havoc, which is a high damage melee AOE attack. But you can also unlock the tanky Defender focus, which is based around the Void Barrier super (like the Bubble Shield from Halo). Destiny will launch with two focuses per class for a total of six, but you'll have to play through your Guardian's progression to unlock them all.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, August 05, 2014, 11:50 (3560 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

Arc Hunter actually already has quite a few invis skills.

If an Arc Warlock uses Force Lightning...

by Velociraptor112, Places., Tuesday, August 05, 2014, 12:48 (3560 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

...can a Solar Titan use a lightsaber?

This guy, he gets it

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Tuesday, August 05, 2014, 13:26 (3560 days ago) @ Velociraptor112

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread