Music to Destiny by -- Dio (Destiny)

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Thursday, August 07, 2014, 12:56 (3558 days ago)

Hey DeeBro's and DeeBette's,

Been meaning to start a conversation on here about cool music and how I think it correlates with Destiny's subject matter or shared themes in some way.

Today, we're gonna talk about one of my personal favorites, Ronnie James Dio.

Best known for being the Heavy Metal singer in Rainbow, non-Ozzy Black Sabbath, and his self-titled band Dio, he is one of the largest contributors to Heavy Metal's mythical, medieval theme.

Destiny being Mythic Sci-fi, we're gonna focus more on the mythic side here.

Exhibit A: Stargazer

I know what you're thinking.

"Paddy, he's singing about enslavement and flying Wizards. That could be anything! You're dumb."

While that may be true, you can clearly make the connection between this song and the Hive. You know, with the flying Wizards, Gothic towers, enslaved worker ants with an emphasis on belief, Chains, etc.

Now plenty is implied, especially since we don't know the origins of the Hive, but I'm willing to bet it's along similar lines.

Exhibit B: Lonely is the Word

Pretty much a stretch, but it mentions the traveler by name, so there's that.

The song is about losing everything and going nowhere, much like the Collapse of your civilization. And it brings up an interesting thought. "Come and join the traveler, if you got nowhere to go", much of the reason we still follow the Traveler or the hope it'll come back somehow is because we have no other options, we have nowhere else to go. And that sets us up for the next song...

Exhibit C: Heaven and Hell

Definitely my favorite Dio song, this song is all about the ambiguity of right and wrong, good and evil, heaven and hell. The traveler is kinda unable to express his intent at the moment, so all we have to go off is the speaker and anyone else is some role of power. "The world is full of Kings and Queens, Who blind your eyes and steal your dreams" This rests on the intent of New Monarchy and/or the Queen of the Reef and whatever motives they may have. Probably not in your best interest either way.

But here's the other line I think is most important, "And they'll tell you black is really white" To be fair, we're kinda accepting all of this stuff about light and darkness, and the traveler from the speaker and ghosts on faith. I mean, I was dust a few minutes ago, and now I'm expected to believe all this shit happened at face value? Definitely still a high possibility the Traveler/the Speaker are not who they appear to be, and could very well be tainted or all along working for the Darkness. Hidden in plain sight.

There's also this line that doesn't really make sense, but is fun nonetheless, "The moon is just the sun at night"

Well, that's all I got for today. Hope you enjoy whatever the hell this was.

-Paddy

Music to Destiny by -- Dio

by Durandal, Thursday, August 07, 2014, 14:01 (3558 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

Great, now I need a montage of Guardians taking out bosses with Tenacious D's "You can't kill the metal" in the background.

This needs to happen.

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Friday, August 08, 2014, 00:14 (3558 days ago) @ Durandal

- No text -

Music to Destiny by -- Woodkid

by TDSpiral ⌂ @, TDS Gaming Shack, WA, Friday, August 08, 2014, 00:52 (3558 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

A response to you and your findings, Paffy. This stuff was REALLY in my head during the spring of 2013, because this album's release and Destiny's public reveal were around the same time. Not only do the lyrics remind me of Destiny's themes and lore, but the epic orchestral sound of Woodkid really reminds me of Marty's work.

Exhibit A: The Golden Age

The connection here is pretty basic; It's basically just about how things aren't as great as they used to be. Really, it's that buzzword, "Golden Age" that reminds me so much of Destiny's history. Also, this song gets awesome as hell around 1:34. That build up is fantastic.

Exhibit B: Conquest of Spaces

This song reminds me the most of Marty's work; the percussion and horns sound so much like Reach's score. Just a great, great sound.

It's more of those buzzwords with the song for me: destiny, fighting, spaces, starlight, city, etc. Some parts are a bit of a stretch, but that's okay.

For real though, give the rest of Woodkid's stuff a listen. It's some amazingly unique music. The scope of his songs are very grandiose and I think they compliment Destiny's themes quite well.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread