Future Exploration wishlist (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, August 07, 2014, 17:10 (3569 days ago)

Io: Every game needs lava levels.
Europa: Every game needs ice levels.
Titan: This is probably an inevitability.
Space Station of some sort: How about one orbiting Jupiter or Saturn to give us an insane skybox?
Floating Cities in the atmospheres of the Ice Giants. Gotta give them some love.

Old Chicago
Mount Everest
A city in the clouds / Underwater city. Nothing like Bioshock though!

Pluto: New Horizons should give you guys reference material for Destiny 2.

and finally:

THE INSIDE OF THE TRAVELER sphere!

Future Exploration wishlist

by kanbo @, Seattle, WA, Thursday, August 07, 2014, 18:12 (3569 days ago) @ Cody Miller

What about the beach level where all the characters appear in swimsuits?

A Fallen Warship T&R Style.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, August 07, 2014, 19:02 (3569 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

We can go wherever, as long as there's weather.

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Thursday, August 07, 2014, 19:28 (3569 days ago) @ Cody Miller

A firefight in a downpour would really hit the spot; especially in an urban setting. Lighting would be icing on the cake. I'm sure some spooky Hive-themed areas could use it.

~m

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Friday, August 08, 2014, 07:14 (3569 days ago) @ Malagate

A firefight in a downpour would really hit the spot; especially in an urban setting. Lighting would be icing on the cake. I'm sure some spooky Hive-themed areas could use it.

~m

This. I've wanted real rain in a Bungie game since we got the ODST trailer's downpour, followed by the shipping game's drizzle.

(Just about everything else was awesome, though).

I even enjoyed the cheesy "razor hail" sequence in Gears of War.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, August 08, 2014, 08:50 (3569 days ago) @ narcogen

~m

This. I've wanted real rain in a Bungie game since we got the ODST trailer's downpour, followed by the shipping game's drizzle.

I shared that disappointment. We did get a little closer to a downpour near the end of the Pillar of Autumn in Reach.

(I loved Reach.)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, August 08, 2014, 09:32 (3569 days ago) @ Malagate

~m

I don't think we'll get that until they dump last gen consoles.

I am the sad

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Friday, August 08, 2014, 09:46 (3569 days ago) @ Cody Miller

That was one thing I though was really lacking after seeing the day/night cycle in Destiny. It needs a full weather simulation as well!

Like you said though, it's probably too resource intensive for the 360/ps3. :(

Me Too

by DaDerga, Baile Átha Cliath, Friday, August 08, 2014, 09:49 (3569 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

I still hope for dynamic weather but am expecting to be disappointed.

Me Too

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Friday, August 08, 2014, 09:55 (3569 days ago) @ DaDerga

Put a sprinkler in front of your TV to simulate rain.

Thank you Super Fooper, good stuff *NM*

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, August 08, 2014, 10:08 (3569 days ago) @ uberfoop

I actually laughed a lot

Me Too

by DaDerga, Baile Átha Cliath, Friday, August 08, 2014, 10:44 (3569 days ago) @ uberfoop

[image]

Me Too

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, August 08, 2014, 09:59 (3569 days ago) @ DaDerga

There is some dynamic weather, just don't expect downpours and accumulating precipitation. I personally witnessed a number of rainy matches on Venus, and I've seen video of snowy matches on Earth.

Good To Know

by DaDerga, Baile Átha Cliath, Friday, August 08, 2014, 11:55 (3569 days ago) @ Xenos

I didn't get as much time as I would have liked in the Beta so maybe I didn't see it. On the other hand maybe I just didn't notice it. :(

Fun Fact

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, August 08, 2014, 12:14 (3569 days ago) @ Xenos

I personally witnessed a number of rainy matches on Venus, and I've seen video of snowy matches on Earth.

Myth and Myth 2 had CPU simulation for every single flake of snow on the screen, since they could put out moltov cocktails!

Fun Fact

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, August 08, 2014, 12:16 (3569 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I personally witnessed a number of rainy matches on Venus, and I've seen video of snowy matches on Earth.

Myth and Myth 2 had CPU simulation for every single flake of snow on the screen, since they could put out moltov cocktails!

This is actually something I'd like to see in Destiny. Weather doesn't just affect visibility, but maybe you slide a little when you land after a jump, or your HUD fogs ever so slightly.

Fun Fact

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, August 08, 2014, 12:24 (3569 days ago) @ Xenos

This is actually something I'd like to see in Destiny. Weather doesn't just affect visibility, but maybe you slide a little when you land after a jump, or your HUD fogs ever so slightly.

I don't think you realize the pain of tossing the perfect cocktail, capable of blowing up ten thrall, only to have it fizzle out :-p

Fun Fact

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, August 08, 2014, 12:25 (3569 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I don't think you realize the pain of tossing the perfect cocktail, capable of blowing up ten thrall, only to have it fizzle out :-p

Oh I do, I played the Myth games :)

As long as the stuff I suggested would be predictable I wouldn't mind

Fun Fact

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Friday, August 08, 2014, 14:09 (3569 days ago) @ Xenos

See, and therein lies the problem. If they allowed for the kind of randomness that made Myth so great in a modern title, they'd be burned in effigy in the street. I can hardly imagine the howls of "this takes no skiiiiill" echoing from every wannabe pro gamer. That was what it took to win in Myth, also what made it so fun. You never knew what would happen. You had to adapt to adversity on the fly and still come out on top.

My lawn, get off it.

~m

Fun Fact

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, August 08, 2014, 14:35 (3569 days ago) @ Malagate

You had to adapt to adversity on the fly and still come out on top.

That sounds like... Skill. In fact, that sounds like the very definition of skill. Careful, this will scare Snipe away...

My lawn, get off it.

I'll mow that lawn for you, old man. No charge.

~m

~k

Fun Fact

by Avateur @, Friday, August 08, 2014, 21:45 (3568 days ago) @ Malagate
edited by Avateur, Friday, August 08, 2014, 21:50

See, and therein lies the problem. If they allowed for the kind of randomness that made Myth so great in a modern title, they'd be burned in effigy in the street. I can hardly imagine the howls of "this takes no skiiiiill" echoing from every wannabe pro gamer. That was what it took to win in Myth, also what made it so fun. You never knew what would happen. You had to adapt to adversity on the fly and still come out on top.

My lawn, get off it.

~m

I really like your lawn. I think there's a lot of confusion in this thread about being upset at dying vs. being upset at how easy it is to get kills. Yes, Snipe doesn't enjoy losing to Supers because they're "free kill attacks" or whatever he said. Yes, situations in games can require one to adapt to adversity on the fly and still come out on top. There are many, many games that do this way better than Destiny, and those games absolutely require skill to win.

In Destiny, Snipe's complaint is that he, himself, and his teammates are absolute murder machines. His complaint is that it's too easy for himself and his friends to be doing what they're doing. Sure, someone might get the Super Insta-Kill on him, but he'll respawn a second later with his power weapon and continue to mow all the lawns. I think people are so surprised that he's bitching about being good, killing endlessly, and winning nearly every game that it's making people think that he's crying because maybe he dies every now and then. He's not complaining about his deaths, or the fact that "them unskilledz" can kill him. Not even close. He's complaining at how easily this game lets him do whatever he wants.

Also, all of these Halo comparisons. Sheesh. Destiny is definitely not Halo. I have played so many FPS games that are nothing like Halo. Destiny is by far the easiest, requires the least amount of skill, and appears to have no real balance. Period. I don't even want to use Halo as a comparison. Casual, hardcore, whatever you want to call it or someone's experience and play style. For everyone, Destiny seems meant to be just a cake walk from a design standpoint. They couldn't even show deaths in the postgame screen because this game wants everyone to feel so good about themselves at all times. Cake walk. That's my opinion, though. Not sure if Snipe shares that.

Granted, I also really enjoyed myself in Crucible. I can't wait to play more of it. I think what I enjoyed most was coordinating with my team and mopping the floors against nearly everyone we played against. At the same time, it gets old and not very satisfying after a while when there's no real challenge and it feels like everything you do is just being handed to you. I like to earn my wins, and a huge chunk of my wins were by 10,000 points or more. Will this continue after launch? Who knows. I hope not, but I have a bad feeling.

Edit: Not sure if the "no skills" bit was referencing Snipe's post or other thoughts regarding ease of killing in Destiny or not, or if even meant for Crucible, but I felt that maybe it did. That's really what my reply is all about. Sorry if taken out of wrong context!

Fun Fact

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, August 08, 2014, 22:32 (3568 days ago) @ Avateur

Dude, I have a feeling whatever version of truskill they are going to use is going to end up putting you in a situation where you win half your games. If you mop the floor with teams, you'll rise in ranks until you don't anymore. Maybe this wasn't in the beta, but I don't see how it could possibly not be in the full game.

Fun Fact

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Saturday, August 09, 2014, 17:43 (3567 days ago) @ Malagate

My lawn, get off it.

Couldn't agree more.

Skill has its limits. A believable world with real stakes has things in it that even the best player cannot overcome every single time merely by the application of skill. You may also have to be lucky-- which also means that less skilled players can also succeed, sometimes, despite less skill.

Of course, you don't want to go too far down either road, but a little randomness is not bad.

I am the weather

by breitzen @, Kansas, Friday, August 08, 2014, 10:31 (3569 days ago) @ Cody Miller

What you talkin bout!? My Warlock was raining down purple lightning the entire beta! ;)

by Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) ⌂ @, London, Ontario, Canada, Thursday, August 07, 2014, 21:37 (3569 days ago) @ Cody Miller

[image]

A ruined Stanford torus in a Lagrangian orbit.

-- Steve'll point out that the weird thing at the bottom is a mirror (shaped like a giant CD) reflecting the station.

Too Halo-y. Get your game up

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, August 07, 2014, 22:00 (3569 days ago) @ Anton P. Nym (aka Steve)

Get cylinders.

;)

Would do a nice Comet DLC, in fact. And a great Rendezvous with Rama crossover.

If i can't get a donut, then I want a donut hole

by Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) ⌂ @, London, Ontario, Canada, Friday, August 08, 2014, 10:39 (3569 days ago) @ ZackDark

Get cylinders.

Balls.

-- Steve thinks it'd be trippy enough. (But he really does like the ring's esthetics better.)

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, August 08, 2014, 12:03 (3569 days ago) @ Anton P. Nym (aka Steve)

Ack. How would artificial gravity even work there? With constant radii, at least it's easy to simulate gravity.

by Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) ⌂ @, London, Ontario, Canada, Friday, August 08, 2014, 16:03 (3569 days ago) @ ZackDark

Ack. How would artificial gravity even work there?

Weirdly. It'd only be "normal" at the equator, which'd look and feel like the bottom of a valley. As you move away from the equator, the slope would keep feeling steeper than it looked though the gravity'd be dropping off pretty quickly too. The poles would be effectively in zero gravity; most designs didn't even try to use the surface there, instead using them for windows to bring in light from the exterior, or as access points to extensions of the station.

A Bernal sphere isn't terribly efficient in creating living space on its inner surface; it is however a lot simpler to make and more robust to operate.

-- Steve still likes his rings better, though.

by roland ⌂ @, Sunday, August 10, 2014, 10:30 (3567 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Io: Every game needs lava levels.

Europa: Every game needs ice levels.

Titan: This is probably an inevitability.

Io:
Lava from volcanos on Io can be thrown up to 500 km (300 miles) above the ground. I'd love to see some lava get tossed into orbit, or maybe even entrained into one of the magnetic field lines of Jupiter :)

[image]

Europa:
Don't forget the ocean underneath all that ice!

[image]

Titan:
FTFY - Titan: Every game needs liquid methane-ethane lakes with cryovolcanos levels.

[image]

Those are locations are good too, I'll toss a few more in.

Surface of a comet

Vallis Marineras, Mars

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread