Ebola - on viruses, outbreaks, and fear. *OT* (Off-Topic)

by car15, Saturday, August 09, 2014, 16:30 (3550 days ago)

Alright guys. I need to talk about this ebola thing. Frankly, it's scaring me shitless. Yeah, I know the likelihood of a pandemic or epidemic is low, and viral outbreaks happen every now and then. Swine flu. SARS. Where are they now, right?

But ebola is scary shit. Ebola basically shuts down your organs and makes you bleed to death, and about 50% of all people who contract the virus do not survive, and there is absolutely no treatment or cure, and the virus could easily be spread to other countries thanks to the wonders of global airline travel.

Okay, okay... so this latest outbreak probably won't spread beyond Africa, and if it comes here, we'll probably be able to contain it before it spreads too far... but the whole situation has gotten me thinking about how little we can actually do to prevent viral outbreaks in general. We don't even know where these things come from. A 16 year old boy named Robert Rayford from the Midwestern United States died of AIDS in 1969. NINETEEN SIXTY FUCKING NINE. The HIV virus wasn't supposed to have left Central Africa at that point in time, yet somehow this kid had it.

But here's the really freaky part. He had never traveled anywhere outside of the Midwest and told doctors that he had never received a blood transfusion. The prevailing theory is that he contracted the virus via homosexual intercourse... But how exactly does that work?! What is the likelihood that an infected Central African man traveled to the Midwestern United States and had sex with this underage boy? It's possible, yes. But likely? Hell no. The kid had symptoms for three years before he died, which means he would have been 13 when he developed AIDS, and even younger when he contracted HIV.

So somehow HIV was in the United States in the mid 1960's and nobody knew about it?

I don't know about the rest of you, but that TERRIFIES me.

That case serves to illustrate how quickly and silently viruses can spread. If the Ebola virus were to spread to the developed world, either during this outbreak or at some point in the future, is there really all that much we could do about it? Perhaps we could contain the spread, but even if we did, we couldn't do a damn thing for the people who had already contracted the virus.

I don't know. Maybe the media hype has made me a little paranoid. But it's a sobering thought.

Everyone dies.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Saturday, August 09, 2014, 16:41 (3550 days ago) @ car15

As long as you don't shake hands with someone who has Ebola, then pick your nose (your eye...ect), you're good. Seriously. It's mucous-membrane based contagion, not airborne. :)

Edit: Here. Have some science. What could possibly go wrong.

Everyone dies.

by car15, Saturday, August 09, 2014, 16:47 (3550 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

I know how it's spread, but the point is that someone could enter the United States with the virus while they're still asymptomatic and expose a ton of people without realizing it. He might shake hands with you or cough on your clothes (by accident, one would hope) and you'd have no incentive to thoroughly decontaminate before eating that big Double Baconator for lunch because you'd have no reason to suspect that this person was a carrier of the virus.

EDIT: I'm no Donald Trump. I'm not calling for a total moratorium on travel to Africa, and I know that the two people Emory brought in to treat were quarantined effectively. I'm just scurred, m'kay?

Everyone dies.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Saturday, August 09, 2014, 16:52 (3550 days ago) @ car15

I know how it's spread, but the point is that someone could enter the United States with the virus while they're still asymptomatic and expose a ton of people without realizing it. He might shake hands with you or cough on your clothes (by accident, one would hope) and you'd have no incentive to thoroughly decontaminate before eating that big Double Baconator for lunch because you'd have no reason to suspect that this person was a carrier of the virus.

So... you're afraid of "could". Ok. What good does being afraid of something you can't control do? I mean I know its an embedded emotion response that lives along the lines of fight or flight, but one of many factors in this world is frankly what could happen.

There is alot of it out there - trust me. I'm crazy. :)

....heh...oh geez.

Everyone dies.

by car15, Saturday, August 09, 2014, 16:57 (3550 days ago) @ INSANEdrive
edited by car15, Saturday, August 09, 2014, 17:02

Well, I don't usually think about this kind of stuff, but with the ebola outbreak in the news, I started.

It is irrational to dwell on things you can't control. But some of those things are also pretty scary, and every now and then, something happens that gets people all worked up about it. I'm one of those people.

I don't want my organs to slowly liquify and not even be able to touch people. That sounds like a pretty crappy way to go. That's like zombie apocalypse levels of crappiness. Except without the cool stuff like foraging for supplies and splitting heads open.

Everyone dies.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Saturday, August 09, 2014, 16:59 (3550 days ago) @ car15

Well, I don't usually think about this kind of stuff, but with the ebola outbreak in the news, I started.

It is irrational.

Yes. Yes it is. And so far you have made it through all the shit out there. Good job. Some people hardly live to 5 before they die.

See you tomorrow? /oh geez

;) :D

Everyone dies.

by car15, Saturday, August 09, 2014, 17:10 (3550 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Yeah, it's a scary world. Thanks for being rational and all that.

I think it says a lot about how good we've got it these days that so many people are scared of this thing. Just a hundred years ago, pandemics were a (shitty) part of life. You couldn't really do much to prevent them.

Sure thing. Glad to help.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Saturday, August 09, 2014, 17:19 (3550 days ago) @ car15

- No text -

My favorite version of Ebola was...

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Saturday, August 09, 2014, 17:14 (3550 days ago) @ car15

...the airborne, weaponized variant seen in Tom Clancy's Executive Orders. The virus was let loose at several trade shows and spread from there. The book went into great detail about the bleeding, and the terrible fever, and the way such a virus might be used to freeze a first world nation into place. Hard to deploy your military or even allow public travel if you don't know who might be infected!

Fun stuff. :)

My favorite version of Ebola was...

by j41m3z @, Saturday, August 09, 2014, 18:06 (3550 days ago) @ Ragashingo

...the airborne, weaponized variant seen in Tom Clancy's Executive Orders. The virus was let loose at several trade shows and spread from there. The book went into great detail about the bleeding, and the terrible fever, and the way such a virus might be used to freeze a first world nation into place. Hard to deploy your military or even allow public travel if you don't know who might be infected!

Fun stuff. :)

When they were developing it in Rainbow Six was amazing. I love me some Tom Clancy.

My favorite was the classic...

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Sunday, August 10, 2014, 07:33 (3549 days ago) @ Ragashingo

"The Hot Zone" -by Richard Preston.

A non-fiction novel about the only stateside Ebola outbreak (Reston, Va.), it scarred me as a child with "The Shadow of Mount Elgon", a section that described a man slowly succumbing to the symptoms of Ebola...

A great read...

Canada beat SARS without preparation

by DEEP_NNN, Saturday, August 09, 2014, 19:23 (3550 days ago) @ car15

Ebola is less transmissible than SARS.

We have prepared medical systems, information and a well educated population. Africa has far less of those.

Keep your head up and your eyes open but stop worrying so much.

We should all move to Madagascar

by Chris101b @, Saturday, August 09, 2014, 19:28 (3550 days ago) @ car15

- No text -

Plot Twist: The infections originated from Madagascar.

by UnrealCh13f @, San Luis Obispo, CA, Saturday, August 09, 2014, 19:43 (3550 days ago) @ Chris101b

- No text -

I knew there was something wrong with it! *NM*

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Saturday, August 09, 2014, 19:55 (3550 days ago) @ UnrealCh13f

[image]

Yep. Ebola for sure...

Heh.

by car15, Saturday, August 09, 2014, 20:43 (3550 days ago) @ Ragashingo

- No text -

I knew there was something wrong with it! *NM*

by bluerunner @, Music City, Saturday, August 09, 2014, 22:17 (3549 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Yep. Ebola for sure...

This may be worse than ebola.

Why did I have to watch this before going to bed? It's going to be a long night.

Ebola - on viruses, outbreaks, and fear. *OT*

by Jillybean, Sunday, August 10, 2014, 03:51 (3549 days ago) @ car15

Heh - when I got back from Taiwan this week (where H1N1 is still the big fear), one of the whole-building emails I had waiting for me was "Subject: Anyone Have Ebola Antibody Stock?"

Did turn out to be spam, but it amused me none the less.

Media hype

by Zeouterlimits, Ireland, Sunday, August 10, 2014, 05:18 (3549 days ago) @ car15

The current Ebola crisis is [/should be] about controlling and minimising the spread and causalities in Africa.
It's a shame it's been co-opted by some fear mongering media outlets.

There are much bigger dangers out there if you want to freak yourself out about ways you might die.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread