What race (species) will you choose? (Destiny)

by Knarfu, Monday, August 11, 2014, 04:00 (3566 days ago)

I've always been fascinated with the social aspect of MMO's. A player base is defined not only by the class of the character, but the race as well. Often times we forget that the person underneath the massive Oblivion Helm has a story to tell. A motivation for his/her actions. A background. More importantly, an identity. Choosing a race is among the first things we do in Destiny, as well as any other MMO. It's as important, if not more important, than any cosmetic option given to us at the start of the game. Once we're resurrected by our companion, Ghost, our characters life is given a meaning again. Whether you're a human hell-bent on sending back The Darkness from whence they came. An Awoken seeking out the truth of the cosmos and to unravel the mysteries of the Traveler. Or an Exo, desperately seeking meaning to a forgotten past by killing hordes of vicious beats and gaining purpose as a Guardian. It's up to us as a player to decide what we're fighting for and who we fight for.

I propose this question with an anthropomorphic state of mind. What will The Tower inhabit the most? Why do certain players choose a certain race? For the aesthetic appeal to their facial features? Because they'll look badass in a rad set of malicious armor? Whatever the reason...I'm interested. I care about the soldiers that will stand by my side in battle, pvp, and The Crucible. With Destiny's release approaching us ever so slowly I grow more and more eager to find out who my companions will be.

https://www.bungie.net/en/Forum/Post/67668957/0/0 <<<< vote here!

Take a second to vote and let's find out! I'll post the results on my very first YouTube video dedicated to Destiny lore and game play. My first video will be posted within the week!!! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTKMkdCqFA7_DGXYDly3AvQ

Farewell, Guardians.

-Knarfu

Human. Always human.

by Velociraptor112, Places., Monday, August 11, 2014, 09:27 (3566 days ago) @ Knarfu

In any game I can choose classes and stuff like this, I always be a human first. I like to be myself.

Human. Always human.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, August 11, 2014, 10:21 (3566 days ago) @ Velociraptor112

In any game I can choose classes and stuff like this, I always be a human first. I like to be myself.

I'm not convinced that the Awoken aren't human in origin.

My primary choice is Awoken. I find their mystery appealing.

Human. Always human.

by TTL Demag0gue ⌂ @, Within the shadow of the Traveler, Monday, August 11, 2014, 12:14 (3566 days ago) @ Kermit

I'm not convinced that the Awoken aren't human in origin.

They are. From the Grimoire:

Race: Awoken

"The others sing this song of Light and Dark. We, together, have transcended such unimaginative limitations."

It is said that the Awoken were born in the Collapse, descended from those who tried to flee its wrath. Something happened to them out on the edge of the deep black, and they were forever changed.

Today many Awoken live in the distant Reef, aloof and mysterious. But others returned to Earth, where their descendants now fight for the City.

Earthborn Awoken sometimes venture out to the Reef, hoping to learn its secrets - but find no special welcome from the reclusive Queen.

Human. Always human.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Monday, August 11, 2014, 12:41 (3566 days ago) @ Velociraptor112

Same here. I like a character I can relate to. I made one of each class, but my human hunter was the one I liked the best. When I get around to making a second character, I'll make an exo, just because robots are cool, but my main story character will be human.

Human. Always human.

by Velociraptor112, Places., Monday, August 11, 2014, 20:58 (3566 days ago) @ bluerunner

If I ever do make a non-human class, it would be an Exo. They (and their dance) are awesome.

What race (species) will you choose?

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Monday, August 11, 2014, 10:40 (3566 days ago) @ Knarfu

Human is about the only character I don't want. I love the Exo's and I want an Awoken in some form. I just think the hummies are boring.

Seconded.

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Monday, August 11, 2014, 11:56 (3566 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

- No text -

Whichever one can have beards

by kapowaz, Monday, August 11, 2014, 12:22 (3566 days ago) @ Knarfu

- No text -

Brillo Beards for the Exo!!

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Monday, August 11, 2014, 12:31 (3566 days ago) @ kapowaz

They even come in ginger:

[image]

Brillo Beards for the Exo!!

by bluerunner @, Music City, Monday, August 11, 2014, 12:38 (3566 days ago) @ Malagate

They even come in ginger:

[image]

I guess that means exos don't have souls.

Brilliant Beards for the Exo!!

by DaDerga, Baile Átha Cliath, Monday, August 11, 2014, 12:48 (3566 days ago) @ Malagate

[image]

Brilliant Beards for the Exo!!

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Monday, August 11, 2014, 13:41 (3566 days ago) @ DaDerga

[image]

ROFL.... SUCH MAJESTY! Its beautiful. O_O

Bungie, I'd pay top dollars for this

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Monday, August 11, 2014, 14:23 (3566 days ago) @ DaDerga

- No text -

Seconded!

by DaDerga, Baile Átha Cliath, Monday, August 11, 2014, 14:28 (3566 days ago) @ ZackDark

- No text -

Awoken

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Monday, August 11, 2014, 12:29 (3566 days ago) @ Knarfu

Awoken girls have the best hair and blue skin is gorgeous. Oh, and there's this gem:

"The others sing this song of Light and Dark. We, together, have transcended such unimaginative limitations."

There is so much about this that I can identify with.

So... deep down... you're a Blue Chick?

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Monday, August 11, 2014, 13:39 (3566 days ago) @ Grizzlei

[image]

What is it with Bungie and blue chicks?

by kapowaz, Monday, August 11, 2014, 13:46 (3566 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

[image]

I'm actually a Tit

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Monday, August 11, 2014, 13:46 (3566 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

[image]

An Awoken Tit. Seems legit.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Monday, August 11, 2014, 13:47 (3566 days ago) @ Grizzlei

- No text -

I'm actually a Tit

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Monday, August 11, 2014, 14:08 (3566 days ago) @ Grizzlei

I love tits.

DBO's transformation into generic gamer forum is complete…!

by kapowaz, Monday, August 11, 2014, 14:30 (3566 days ago) @ Revenant1988

- No text -

No, that's impossible!

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Monday, August 11, 2014, 14:47 (3566 days ago) @ kapowaz

- No text -

Luke_whining.jpg

by kapowaz, Monday, August 11, 2014, 15:29 (3566 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

[image]

That's really the filename.

I approve this message

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Monday, August 11, 2014, 14:52 (3566 days ago) @ Revenant1988

Grizzlei 2016

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, August 11, 2014, 14:00 (3566 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

What is it with Bungie and blue chicks?

Well technically, Cortana wasn't really female; she just identified as one.

Technically.

by kapowaz, Monday, August 11, 2014, 14:04 (3566 days ago) @ Korny

She was conceived as a male AI, then changed gender to match the woman whose brain she was modelled after.

Technically.

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Monday, August 11, 2014, 14:12 (3566 days ago) @ kapowaz

She was conceived as a male AI, then changed gender to match the woman whose brain she was modelled after.

Really? I was under the impression that she had always first been created in the image of her mother, Catherine, instead of modeled otherwise.

Technically.

by kapowaz, Monday, August 11, 2014, 14:29 (3566 days ago) @ Grizzlei

Really? I was under the impression that she had always first been created in the image of her mother, Catherine, instead of modeled otherwise.

The bit about being male initially was a sarcastic response to Korny's obvious troll. But yeah, the above was always my understanding too.

Technically.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, August 11, 2014, 15:01 (3566 days ago) @ kapowaz

The bit about being male initially was a sarcastic response to Korny's obvious troll. But yeah, the above was always my understanding too.

Heh.

Having read the novels, it was my understanding that AIs chose their own appearance, not that it was predetermined by programming. Therefore, there were no innately "female" or "male" AI. It was up to their own preference, so despite being modeled after Halsey's brain, Cortana could have chosen to look like Halsey's Journal for all we know...

Technically.

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Monday, August 11, 2014, 15:24 (3566 days ago) @ Korny

Having read the novels, it was my understanding that AIs chose their own appearance, not that it was predetermined by programming. Therefore, there were no innately "female" or "male" AI. It was up to their own preference, so despite being modeled after Halsey's brain, Cortana could have chosen to look like Halsey's Journal for all we know...

Yeah, they're born gender neutral so long as their creators don't design them in any particular way. Advanced constructs merely take after their host's brain in a certain fashion, but their identity doesn't necessarily reflect that former personality and appearance. Cortana decided to have a feminine identity and take after her mother's appearance, but their personalities to an extent are wholly different.

Artificial intelligence is fucking awesome.

Technically.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, August 11, 2014, 15:30 (3566 days ago) @ Grizzlei
edited by Korny, Monday, August 11, 2014, 15:35

Yeah, they're born gender neutral so long as their creators don't design them in any particular way. Advanced constructs merely take after their host's brain in a certain fashion, but their identity doesn't necessarily reflect that former personality and appearance. Cortana decided to have a feminine identity and take after her mother's appearance, but their personalities to an extent are wholly different.

Artificial intelligence is fucking awesome.

Indeed. Which makes me wonder about Ghosts. If they were made by the traveler, what drove it to make them intelligent and with free will, yet desiring to be subservient to a Guardian?

Also, since we're found in Russia, why is our Ghost British? I know he's been searching a long time, but wasn't London burned before the existence of the Guardians?

Edit: Yes, I am under the assumption that all British people live in London.

British people originated IN SPACE?

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, August 11, 2014, 15:33 (3566 days ago) @ Korny

- No text -

Technically.

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Monday, August 11, 2014, 15:35 (3566 days ago) @ Korny

Indeed. Which makes me wonder about Ghosts. If they were made by the traveler, what drove it to make them intelligent and with free will, yet desiring to be subservient to a Guardian?

Also, since we're found in Russia, why is our Ghost British? I know he's been searching a long time, but wasn't London burned before the existence of the Guardians?

I kinda think the Ghosts might be deceased life just as the Guardians were.

Technically.

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Monday, August 11, 2014, 15:36 (3566 days ago) @ Korny

To what extent do they have "free will?"

Can they be said to be subservient to their Guardian?

Technically.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, August 11, 2014, 16:01 (3566 days ago) @ uberfoop

To what extent do they have "free will?"

They apparently talk to themselves as they scour about for years looking for their Guardian. As Griz notes, they may have been based off of dead people, much like the Guardians, and if that were the case, then they'd definitely know of freedom, even if they didn't have their full memories (Guardians apparently remember speech). In any case, it was said that they choose their Guardian...

Can they be said to be subservient to their Guardian?

"I'm your Ghost."
Not sure to what extent yet, but they seem to specifically consider Guardians their "boss", since they work pretty much as tools of the Guardian, although Pedro did say "We're in this together", so there's that...

Technically.

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Monday, August 11, 2014, 16:19 (3566 days ago) @ Korny
edited by uberfoop, Monday, August 11, 2014, 16:23

They apparently talk to themselves as they scour about for years looking for their Guardian. As Griz notes, they may have been based off of dead people, much like the Guardians, and if that were the case, then they'd definitely know of freedom, even if they didn't have their full memories (Guardians apparently remember speech). In any case, it was said that they choose their Guardian...

I'm not seeing the point. They could easily be robots (with clever speech functionality) programmed to find a guardian, and then use the guardian to help accomplish various tasks.

(There is, of course, a worthwhile question here about what "free will" actually is.)

"I'm your Ghost."

That form of possessive doesn't imply subservience. In many practical uses it merely implies (often exclusive) association.

I mean, a dictator/slave owner/something could (grammatically appropriately) say "I'm your master" to a subject.

Not sure to what extent yet, but they seem to specifically consider Guardians their "boss", since they work pretty much as tools of the Guardian

In terms of dependence, there are strong relationships both ways. The ghost certainly can't do much without a guardian to shoot things with, but the guardian wouldn't be alive without the ghost.

The ghost is a tool of the guardian, but the guardian is seemingly also a tool of ghost (the entire purpose of a ghost might be to use a guardian as a tool).

On Ghosts

by DaDerga, Baile Átha Cliath, Monday, August 11, 2014, 16:48 (3566 days ago) @ uberfoop

"I'm your Ghost."

In the Grimoire thread I posted this supposition that they are a kind of familiar, so when they say the above, from a certain perspective they are your ghost.

Technically.

by TTL Demag0gue ⌂ @, Within the shadow of the Traveler, Monday, August 11, 2014, 16:58 (3566 days ago) @ uberfoop

Not sure to what extent yet, but they seem to specifically consider Guardians their "boss", since they work pretty much as tools of the Guardian

In terms of dependence, there are strong relationships both ways. The ghost certainly can't do much without a guardian to shoot things with, but the guardian wouldn't be alive without the ghost.

I've always viewed it as a partnership, as a meeting of equals (albeit with very different functions), rather than any sort of hierarchy.

Technically.

by kapowaz, Monday, August 11, 2014, 15:44 (3566 days ago) @ Korny

Hardly any British people live in London, in my experience...!

Technically.

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Tuesday, August 12, 2014, 12:35 (3565 days ago) @ kapowaz

British isn't the same thing as English, anyways. I mean, English people are British, but so are say, the Welsh, right?

Technically.

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Tuesday, August 12, 2014, 13:03 (3565 days ago) @ RaichuKFM

British isn't the same thing as English, anyways. I mean, English people are British, but so are say, the Welsh, right?

But if every English is British, his statement (as he meant, of course [assuming it is the joke I think it is]) still stands, no?

Technically.

by kapowaz, Wednesday, August 13, 2014, 06:39 (3564 days ago) @ ZackDark

But if every English is British, his statement (as he meant, of course [assuming it is the joke I think it is]) still stands, no?

I think we would all be best served by bringing Welsh Nationalism into this thread.

Technically.

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Wednesday, August 13, 2014, 05:21 (3564 days ago) @ kapowaz

Mine too ;-)

Technically.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, August 11, 2014, 14:13 (3566 days ago) @ kapowaz

Halo: Gender Evolved.

Wonder why she slowly improved her image, until she was like "Nah, birthing-hipped butterface lol"...

Wait, should we label this *OT*?... Halo talk is... OT...

Technically.

by kapowaz, Monday, August 11, 2014, 14:30 (3566 days ago) @ Korny

Wait, should we label this *OT*?... Halo talk is... OT...

No, but maybe we should label it ‘Korny Troll Thread’?

Technically.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Monday, August 11, 2014, 15:22 (3566 days ago) @ kapowaz

‘Korny Troll Thread’?

That sounds redundant.

Once you go blue...

by bluerunner @, Music City, Monday, August 11, 2014, 15:25 (3566 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

...you'll always stay true?

...that's all you'll do?

...you live in a shoe?

I need to work on that line.

Been Awake since I first saw them.

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Monday, August 11, 2014, 13:43 (3566 days ago) @ Grizzlei

- No text -

Awoken

by Phoenix_9286 @, Monday, August 11, 2014, 13:50 (3566 days ago) @ Grizzlei

Relevant.

Awoken, Female Hunter

by Blue_Blazer_NZ, Wellington, New Zealand, Monday, August 11, 2014, 14:09 (3566 days ago) @ Knarfu

Blue skin and purple hair; I went with a character that looks like my girlfriend so that she can feel "involved".

Awoken, Female Hunter

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, August 11, 2014, 15:27 (3566 days ago) @ Blue_Blazer_NZ

Blue skin and purple hair; I went with a character that looks like my girlfriend so that she can feel "involved".

Heh... Since for some reason (unknown by man) Dragon's Dogma doesn't have co-op, I modeled my Pawn after my own girlfriend, giving her the same combat traits and dress style that she would have used. Sounds kind of lame, but when I was limping out of a cave with her at my side, it felt special anyway, and she appreciated it IRL...

Awoken, Female Hunter

by SteelGaribaldi @, Sol system, Monday, August 11, 2014, 19:56 (3566 days ago) @ Blue_Blazer_NZ

You're dating Cortana?

Awoken, Female Hunter

by Blue_Blazer_NZ, Wellington, New Zealand, Monday, August 11, 2014, 20:19 (3566 days ago) @ SteelGaribaldi

Ha, my girlfriend is actually pale and blonde (and lovely, of course). But she asked me if my female hunter in the game was meant to be her, so I was like "...uh....yeah....?"

Exo

by petetheduck, Monday, August 11, 2014, 17:11 (3566 days ago) @ Knarfu

Exo Warlock, specifically. If I create other characters, I'll probably repeat what I did in the Beta and have one of each species. Primary will be that Exo, though. Wish there was an option to leave the helmet on in the Tower.

by CommandrCleavage @, USA-Midwest, Monday, August 11, 2014, 17:54 (3566 days ago) @ Knarfu

Awoken Female Hunter, no contest. Humans are boring, robots are emotionless. White hair, white eyes, white warpaint all the way

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Monday, August 11, 2014, 18:48 (3566 days ago) @ Knarfu

Human Female Hunter will definitely by my primary character. Tentatively planning on an Awoken Male Warlock and Exo Male Titan as my supplemental characters.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, August 11, 2014, 20:03 (3566 days ago) @ Knarfu

[image]
Except as a Titan.

Exo

by Kalamari @, Waiting for Ghorn, FB, and BH, Monday, August 11, 2014, 20:45 (3566 days ago) @ Knarfu

Because they are so sexo.

No idea.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Tuesday, August 12, 2014, 09:47 (3565 days ago) @ Knarfu

[image]

No idea.

by DaDerga, Baile Átha Cliath, Tuesday, August 12, 2014, 12:58 (3565 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Male Redguard Warlock

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, August 12, 2014, 10:22 (3565 days ago) @ Knarfu

Why do certain players choose a certain race? For the aesthetic appeal to their facial features? Because they'll look badass in a rad set of malicious armor Whatever the reason...I'm interested.

It started with Morrowind, where I wanted to create a class that would fit my playstyle. Redguards were the best for me, and since then, I always try to make my characters resemble one another (a long lineage, if you will). So for the Alpha and Beta, I replicated my Skyrim character as best I could...
[image]

I care about the soldiers that will stand by my side in battle, pvp, and The Crucible. With Destiny's release approaching us ever so slowly I grow more and more eager to find out who my companions will be.

https://www.bungie.net/en/Forum/Post/67668957/0/0 <<<< vote here!

Poll looks fairly even, but those Khajiit-tier awoken do seem to be lagging behind a bit.

Awoken Warlock

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Tuesday, August 12, 2014, 12:39 (3565 days ago) @ Knarfu

space magic

All three.

by rhubarb, Tuesday, August 12, 2014, 19:26 (3565 days ago) @ Knarfu

I'm going to try and have three different characters going at once. It looks like I won't have much time off during the winter, so I'll try and mix it up whenever I can play.

The mention of darkness infused weapon parts may allow a little paragon/renegade character alignment roleplaying.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread