What if the Traveler is the villain?

by SonofMacPhisto @, Monday, February 25, 2013, 08:55 (4077 days ago)

Save humanity. Have them collect all the good stuff. Keep it for self. Toss humanity back to the wolves. Imagine the guy who taught Half-Life's Gman everything he knows.

I mean, right now we're kind of assuming it's benevolent, aren't we?

by Dagoonite, Somewhere in Iowa, lost in a cornfield., Monday, February 25, 2013, 09:06 (4077 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

I had a similar thought, actually. Except more twisted along other lines that I was contemplating for a story I'm kinda-sorta working on.

The Traveler (and the people who made it) have reached a technological dead end. It's not that the technology has reached a dead end, but the people's ability to find new applications for it have. However, culture helps dictate creative paths, and perhaps the best way to jump start new creative paths is to expose a new culture to a technology.

The Traveler itself isn't all that interesting; just bits and bobs of tech. A... primer, if you will. You destroy a good portion of the civilization, and offer this primer as a safe haven to collect up the remnants. Once they're secured and have defenses in place, you put some pressure on them. Bad guys outside, things that want humanity dead.

Humanity has traditionally shown an increase in innovation and research capabilities in times of war or conflict. The eggh... er... people in the labs come up with something, the boys in the field modify it, and technology increases by leaps in bounds. And in ways that this malignant race can't predict. Meanwhile, the Traveler transmits all these discoveries and weird, crazy ideas back to the race, allowing them to laugh and then go "Wait..." as they come up with new ideas themselves.

It's a nice system for somebody who's reached the limits of their creativity, allowing them to keep their superiority without fear and still get a lot of new ideas for their own tech. And if the Traveler still has enough energy to float like that without causing some wicked tidal forces... Well. In case of emergency, you can either shut it down and crush the safe haven underneath, or make it go boom.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Monday, February 25, 2013, 09:15 (4077 days ago) @ Dagoonite

Your post about 'A dark force' or whatever actually inspired my thought. Haha.

So we're kind of like lab rats? Are the Traveler's creators a lot like the Culture? Since they have no conflict to spur their own development, they manipulate it in others? Maybe they're indifferent to the whole enterprise; beyond whatever tech we come up with.

Sort of like game developers and their audiences. Take a look at how games change once they've been released.

by Dagoonite, Somewhere in Iowa, lost in a cornfield., Monday, February 25, 2013, 09:24 (4077 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

I'm useful! (Maybe.)

It's a thought. I've somehow not read any books dealing with the Culture, so I can't draw a good parallel there. (DON'T JUDGE ME YOU'RE NOT MY REAL MOMMY! There's gobs of books out there, and I only have so many hours to the day!) But you've kind of got it on the nose.

Here's a historical example for you: Gunpowder. The Chinese developed it for speedy arrows and things that go boom all pretty, but it took the Europeans to develop canons and firearms. (It's more complicated than that, I know, but I'm K.I.S.S.ing it.)

Give the humans a conflict, a place to collect them, and a fail safe to crush them if they become a threat. Meanwhile, look at their response with their new tech and develop based on that.

Nice parallel with the game developers. I'll have to remember that if I ever get around to writing my story.

Of course, we're probably wrong -- games prefer things a little more black and white, but having an ambiguity gives wiggle room. Still, it's something to think about, and only one possibility out of many.

by electricpirate @, Monday, February 25, 2013, 12:09 (4077 days ago) @ Dagoonite

I'm kind of assuming that the 10 year, great story arc of the game is going to focus around the Traveler, and unraveling it's mystery.

And yea, I"ll be pretty surprised if it's totally benign ;).

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, February 25, 2013, 09:13 (4077 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto
edited by Ragashingo, Monday, February 25, 2013, 09:17

It certainly possible. Something knocked us down hard. We weren't told what. Then we have this heavily damaged moon size object floating too close to our planet. Why couldn't it be damage we caused?

The only thing is, why are all these other aliens after us? If they were trying to save us they'd be talking to us, not looking to get past the fortified walls of our city.

But then again, maybe we've been deluded by and aligned ourselves with the ultimate evil in the galaxy. Maybe finishing off one insignificant race is worth preventing the Traveler from wrecking havoc in the galaxy again.

Interesting stuff. :)

by CaneCutter @, Alabama, Monday, February 25, 2013, 09:26 (4077 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

Save humanity. Have them collect all the good stuff. Keep it for self. Toss humanity back to the wolves. Imagine the guy who taught Half-Life's Gman everything he knows.

I've also considered something like this.

Click here

- CC

by petetheduck, Monday, February 25, 2013, 09:47 (4077 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

What if the Traveler is not a unique entity? Or maybe we could have simply been in the way during a larger conflict between the Traveler and something else. Or perhaps WE saved IT. The Traveler could have been our ally.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Monday, February 25, 2013, 10:59 (4077 days ago) @ petetheduck

What if we never find out for sure? I'm kind of hoping for that. :)

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Tuesday, February 26, 2013, 15:01 (4076 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

I'm also kind of hoping for this. Something along the lines of the Traveller being a not-necessarily-safe piece of machinery that humanity cannot understand, yet benefits from in some oblique way (in this case surviving against non-humans by whatever means the Traveller allows for). The idea smacks heavily of Roadside Picnic (and thereby S.T.A.L.K.E.R.), but I do love it so.

~M

by Smee, Monday, February 25, 2013, 12:19 (4077 days ago) @ petetheduck

What if there is a Traveller for each of the races fighting us? What if it's all a game to them?

by biggy ⌂ @, Tinseltown, Monday, February 25, 2013, 10:35 (4077 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

[image]

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Tuesday, February 26, 2013, 14:52 (4076 days ago) @ biggy

[image]

by Chewbaccawakka @, The Great Green Pacific Northwest!, Monday, February 25, 2013, 11:52 (4077 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

What if the Traveler is like the big kid who's really good at the game, playing with a group of younger/less competent kids. He switches to whichever team isn't doing as well. The only reason they're with Humanity now is because we were getting our butts kicked. But as soon as we start stomping the space baddies, BAM! Traveler switches to their side to even up the match!

by Kitekiller, Monday, February 25, 2013, 14:01 (4077 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

What if humans have been cannibalizing the Traveler, causing the damage to near the bottom. The Traveler either wakes up, or origin species arrives and takes offense to the treatment, starting a new war?

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, February 25, 2013, 14:13 (4077 days ago) @ Kitekiller

What if humans have been cannibalizing the Traveler, causing the damage to near the bottom. The Traveler either wakes up, or origin species arrives and takes offense to the treatment, starting a new war?

I've been wondering that too. I'm pretty sure Bungie has stated that the Traveler is left with scars from its final battle, or some such thing, but even if all the damage was alien made there seems to be a lot of open, exposed, area for Human ships to poke around at. I would not be at all surprised if Humanity's resurgence is being fueled by technology salvaged / stolen from the Traveler. Maybe this is good, and what the Traveler intends, or maybe it's a very bad thing, and the Traveler wakes up, as you said.

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Monday, February 25, 2013, 14:38 (4077 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I've been wondering that too. I'm pretty sure Bungie has stated that the Traveler is left with scars from its final battle, or some such thing, but even if all the damage was alien made there seems to be a lot of open, exposed, area for Human ships to poke around at. I would not be at all surprised if Humanity's resurgence is being fueled by technology salvaged / stolen from the Traveler. Maybe this is good, and what the Traveler intends, or maybe it's a very bad thing, and the Traveler wakes up, as you said.

I could see that happening.

I've also been thinking about the choice of words used during the "Pathways out of Darkness" ViDoc: "You are a guardian of the city. A soldier able to wield some of the Traveler's incredible power." This makes me think of humans taking technology out of the Traveler and using it for their own benefit.

While we don't know exactly how long it has been since the "Traveler's last stand", we can assume it's been a great number of years if we've built a city beneath it and started exploring the galaxy again. So at this point, I don't think the Traveler is "waking up" and imparting gifts upon the soldiers of the city. The only thing that makes sense to me is cannibalizing technology from inside the Traveler and using it for our own good (reminds me of utilizing Forerunner tech in the Halo universe).

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Monday, February 25, 2013, 15:05 (4077 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

I'd like that. But not up front.

Make us respect the Traveler, believe in the Traveler, worship the Traveler and then have him/her/it turn out to be the bad guy all along, the one that ended humanity's Golden Age. And even better if it turns out that all we're doing is making it worse for humanity.

That would be cool, IMO. But I don't think any sane publisher would allow that on such a grand scale of marketing.

I'm still getting over that The Tourist actually did it, for example. I thought "hey, you know what would be cool? If he really was the guy.". And then I laughed, because no way they would do that on such a big budget. And then they did.

So yeah, I would love if they did that. It's about time we get shaken up hard.

WARNING SPOILERZ!

by Chewbaccawakka @, The Great Green Pacific Northwest!, Monday, February 25, 2013, 15:23 (4077 days ago) @ ZackDark

I'm still getting over that The Tourist actually did it, for example. I thought "hey, you know what would be cool? If he really was the guy.". And then I laughed, because no way they would do that on such a big budget. And then they did.

Heh, for a 3-year old movie. ;)

P.S. I think I experienced nearly the exact same scenario. That movie wasn't terrible.

The Traveller are human! *NM*

by HawaiianPig, Monday, February 25, 2013, 17:45 (4077 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

I mean forerunner. I mean.. wait what?

The Traveler is Wil Wheaton

by Stephen Laughlin ⌂ @, Long Beach, CA, Monday, February 25, 2013, 18:20 (4077 days ago) @ HawaiianPig

[image]

Well played. Well played indeed.

by Dagoonite, Somewhere in Iowa, lost in a cornfield., Monday, February 25, 2013, 18:39 (4077 days ago) @ Stephen Laughlin

- No text -

by Kalamari @, Waiting for Ghorn, FB, and BH, Tuesday, February 26, 2013, 13:28 (4076 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

This would be an interesting twist.

Perhaps the Traveler could be part of a far stronger, and more far more dangerous, evil power of the Universe. Maybe this Traveler has chosen to part ways with the greater evil faction in order to help the human race.

Or it's just a giant Pokeball. :)

by Das Kalk, Tuesday, February 26, 2013, 21:51 (4076 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

That might be interesting... A-la Citadel from Mass Effect? SPOILERS FOR MASS EFFECT!

Humanity and other races assumed it to be rather innocuous, and it turned out to be a tool to be used by the Reapers. Might be an interesting plotline to follow. Hopefully it's not phoned in and they don't go with the whole "Humanity's use of the Traveler's power has dire consequences since they didn't fully understand what they were dealing with blah blah blah" type of thing.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Tuesday, February 26, 2013, 23:15 (4076 days ago) @ Das Kalk

Meh. The Mass Effect races were complete morons. Who moves the seat of galactic government to a station who's maintenance and upkeep primarily falls upon the mysteriously unscannable, self destructing, don't even know where they really come from or go to Keepers? It's even said that a large portion of the Citadel is sealed and inaccessible. The part that, oh it's no big deal, controls everything!

At the very least go over the place inch by inch to make sure there are no surprises waiting…

by Das Kalk, Wednesday, February 27, 2013, 00:18 (4076 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I won't dispute the craziness of this, but it remains to be seen how much humanity knows about the traveler... Everything that has been revealed leads me to believe not much... so how are they using its power? seems about as smart as using an unknown space city...

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread