Destiny most pre-ordered new IP (Destiny)

by electricpirate @, Tuesday, August 12, 2014, 12:30 (3565 days ago)

As opposed to all that other new IP . . .

by Jillybean, Tuesday, August 12, 2014, 12:51 (3565 days ago) @ electricpirate

And yes - I am aware this is 'all IP ever', but as there's no comparable time period where new IP is so hyped with pre-order for beta stuff, I don't think this is really that much to crow about

huh?

by electricpirate @, Tuesday, August 12, 2014, 13:01 (3565 days ago) @ Jillybean

I'm not sure I caught your meaning there? Are you saying that it's not indicative of something, or that it's not something they should be proud of?

Pre-orders used to be a pretty good guide to the sell through of games, hence all the bullshit that goes through to push pre-orders. The offer of a week/long weekend of beta is pretty small beans compared to some other games, for example 2K gave out 2 free games, extra in game powerups, and 20 dollars off for the Bioshock infinate pre-order.

The rise of sales, and digital distribution have cut the value of preorders somewhat, but it's still a pretty large metric.

*FWIW, pre-ordering is dumb, don't pre-order*

huh?

by Jillybean, Tuesday, August 12, 2014, 13:02 (3565 days ago) @ electricpirate

I don't think preorders are very comparable across time periods as a metric of success - since games become more popular. It's like adjusting ticket sales for inflation.

huh?

by Doooskey, Kansas City, MO, Tuesday, August 12, 2014, 14:51 (3565 days ago) @ Jillybean

I don't think preorders are very comparable across time periods as a metric of success - since games become more popular. It's like adjusting ticket sales for inflation.

Well, at least saying, "Highest number of pre-orders for a new IP" isn't super helpful. Where as an actual number might be. Or a comparison to other AAA title pre-orders in 2013-2014.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread