Digital Downloads and Timezones (Destiny)

by Dan de Board @, Thursday, August 14, 2014, 06:09 (3551 days ago)

I know that the game will be available on September 9th, but I was wondering how time zones would play into this. I live in CST, and I'm getting the digital, so would the game be available at midnight in my timezone, or at 10PM CST to be synced with EST or at 2AM CST to be synced with PST? Would changing my timezone or time and date on my PS4 affect when I can download the game?

Digital Downloads and Timezones

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, August 14, 2014, 07:02 (3551 days ago) @ Dan de Board

I want to know this, too. I want to live in the future with Hedge.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, August 14, 2014, 07:12 (3551 days ago) @ Dan de Board
edited by Xenos, Thursday, August 14, 2014, 07:50

I know that the game will be available on September 9th, but I was wondering how time zones would play into this. I live in CST, and I'm getting the digital, so would the game be available at midnight in my timezone, or at 10PM CST to be synced with EST or at 2AM CST to be synced with PST? Would changing my timezone or time and date on my PS4 affect when I can download the game?

According to the Destiny page on PSN the game unlocks at midnight PDT. The bright side at least is both PS3 and PS4 have pre-loading (I believe starting on the 5th if I remember correctly) so it'll at least be ready to go on time (The PSN page doesn't show the pre-loading information but it shows in the store on the consoles).

Digital Downloads and Gold

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, August 14, 2014, 09:48 (3551 days ago) @ Dan de Board

I always wondered something.

When a game passes cert, that means it's ready to go. It then has to be manufactured and pressed into discs, and shipped to stores, so there's unavoidable lag time.

Why are digital downloads not posted and activated the moment the game passes cert?

The industry seems to want digital distribution, and this seems the way to encourage it. Get it three weeks early!

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, August 14, 2014, 10:19 (3551 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by Xenos, Thursday, August 14, 2014, 10:27

Unfortunately retailers have a lot of power right now and this would piss off all of them, and both companies still need retailers to sell their consoles. Also on another important reason this would piss off a number of customers as if they did not have good enough Internet they would have to wait in some instances days to play the game whereas if it comes out on day one on disc also they only have to wait for updates to install instead of the entire game.

I think digital being pushed similar to on PC will happen, maybe even before the end of this generation, but not any time soon.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, August 14, 2014, 10:20 (3551 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I wonder how fesible that is. For Destiny given the rock solid states of the Alpha and Beta, sure. What about all the game's who launches were disasters? What about all the game that had day one patches? Pushing those timelines back might not be so easy. I totally agree, getting it early would be a huge draw for digital. So far I've only bought digital for old games that are harder to find in stores. Like I rebought Halo 2 and Halo 3 digitally because those disks got scratched.

by SteelGaribaldi @, Sol system, Thursday, August 14, 2014, 11:50 (3551 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I wonder how fesible that is. For Destiny given the rock solid states of the Alpha and Beta, sure. What about all the game's who launches were disasters? What about all the game that had day one patches?

Having a small population find problems before the larger population sounds great, the digital download customers become gamma testers. Early release doesn't have to be the day of cert, just between cert and sale of physical goods. It would complicate marketing, though.

by petetheduck, Thursday, August 14, 2014, 10:27 (3551 days ago) @ Cody Miller

When a game passes cert, that means it's ready to go. It then has to be manufactured and pressed into discs, and shipped to stores, so there's unavoidable lag time.

Why are digital downloads not posted and activated the moment the game passes cert?

The industry seems to want digital distribution, and this seems the way to encourage it. Get it three weeks early!

But then when would they have time to work on the day one patch?

The asynchronous release may make people question why digital purchases are priced to include physical costs that don't exist.

But if they make that a preorder perk...... It might just work.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, August 14, 2014, 10:28 (3551 days ago) @ petetheduck

The asynchronous release may make people question why digital purchases are priced to include physical costs that don't exist.

But if they make that a preorder perk...... It might just work.

They made it a preorder perk for the next CoD, 1 day early access. Though I'm not sure exactly how they are doing it.

by DEEP_NNN, Thursday, August 14, 2014, 16:27 (3551 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I suppose digital downloads is one of my biggest peeves right now.

I have no doubt at all I am being punished by MS for digital downloads of new releases. They sold us on the whole digital ownership and I have yet to get one serious perk for it.

I can't resell or trade in my digital copies. I'd dump Forza 5 if I could.
Pre-loading before release is barely getting off the ground.
Pre-orders for digital are not offering much if anything yet.

One benefit that maybe saves me money is if I have multiple XB1. Then I can play on any XB1 in the house and someone else can play on the Master XB1.

Not owning a hard copy ever again was my goal and I do have that even if it saves me nothing but space.

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Thursday, August 14, 2014, 17:39 (3551 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Because if you do that, Gamestop will not give you any shelf space. The deal between the publisher and the brick and mortar retailers almost surely precludes giving any significant head start to digital distribution. At the very least, they'll want a same day release. The exception seems to be the preloading stuff, where between when the game goes gold and the official release date, portions of the game are loaded onto a PC or console.

by PackLeader89, Durham, NC, Thursday, August 14, 2014, 15:19 (3551 days ago) @ Dan de Board

I may be lame, but I have always enjoyed picking up the game at midnight at my local Gamestop. When I was in college, my roommates and I carpooled and would nerd-out with other people waiting for midnight. Plus, I have always been friends with my local Gamestop employees.

So yeah, I'll be in line at South point Mall in Durham, NC.

#EASTCOAST

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, August 14, 2014, 15:28 (3551 days ago) @ PackLeader89

I may be lame, but I have always enjoyed picking up the game at midnight at my local Gamestop.

I totally agree. I bough digital for PS4, but I am going to my Gamestop at midnight to pick up a physical copy for the 360.

by PackLeader89, Durham, NC, Thursday, August 14, 2014, 15:33 (3551 days ago) @ Xenos

Sweet! I just love seeing the crowds show up for something. Halo 3 is the biggest I've ever seen. I live in a heavily populated area, so I don't know everyone's experience.

The saddest release was Assassin's Creed III. There were 2 people there. That one was a fail...

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, August 14, 2014, 15:38 (3551 days ago) @ PackLeader89

ODST was pretty funny in my hometown. Only the REALLY diehard Halo fans were there, so it was about a fourth of the people but everyone was completely nerding out.

by PackLeader89, Durham, NC, Thursday, August 14, 2014, 15:41 (3551 days ago) @ Xenos

Yeah. I guess it may not be fun in some hometowns. I'll do it as long as I have the energy to do it.

BTW, ODST was great. It gets so much heat because it was different and no real multiplayer. It was a very fun and exciting campaign. Freaking critics...

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, August 14, 2014, 15:42 (3551 days ago) @ PackLeader89

BTW, ODST was great. It gets so much heat because it was different and no real multiplayer. It was a very fun and exciting campaign. Freaking critics...

Not to mention firefight, which was the perfect level of challenging for four people.

by PackLeader89, Durham, NC, Thursday, August 14, 2014, 15:43 (3551 days ago) @ Xenos

Yup. I have more to add about ODST but I don't wanna get labelled for trolling this thread. Haha

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread