Destiny Companion for iPhone updated. (Destiny)

by SteelGaribaldi @, Sol system, Thursday, August 14, 2014, 23:09 (3550 days ago)

Most importantly, I can still see my Guardians from the Beta.

And if you have more than one type of gear, the unequipped items in that slot have comparison indicators showing relative Attack / Defense ratings.

[image]

Looks like it still has a few bugs to work out.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, August 14, 2014, 23:37 (3550 days ago) @ SteelGaribaldi

Clicking on the Intellect, Discipline, Strength icons now reveals descriptions for each, but it's a bit incomplete.

[image]

Also, I'm not that happy with the way guns are displayed. They're all so darkly lit you can barely make anything out except at the exact right angles. :(

On the positive side, it now list all the modes from Explore, to Strike, to the various multiplayer game types.

Strength is a label.

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Thursday, August 14, 2014, 23:42 (3550 days ago) @ Ragashingo

- No text -

All the 3D Models are darkly lit at the moment

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Friday, August 15, 2014, 03:19 (3550 days ago) @ Ragashingo

- No text -

Looks like it still has a few bugs to work out.

by TTL Demag0gue ⌂ @, Within the shadow of the Traveler, Friday, August 15, 2014, 04:44 (3550 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Also, I'm not that happy with the way guns are displayed. They're all so darkly lit you can barely make anything out except at the exact right angles. :(

That's more than I can see. iPhone 4 users still only get silhouettes for their Guardians and no weapons displays at all (aside from the thumbnails). That said, the little tweaks they made that did make it through to the version of the app I have look pretty good. :)

Same boat.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, August 15, 2014, 05:50 (3550 days ago) @ TTL Demag0gue

I suspect my cherished iPhone may be enjoying its last few months in service, though.

Upgrading

by TTL Demag0gue ⌂ @, Within the shadow of the Traveler, Friday, August 15, 2014, 05:58 (3550 days ago) @ Kermit

I'm just waiting for the 6 to launch so I can upgrade. :)

Expiring logins

by kapowaz, Friday, August 15, 2014, 06:12 (3550 days ago) @ SteelGaribaldi

On a mobile app, expiring logins periodically is a real nuisance. Ever since Sony got hacked back in 2011 I've ensured that I use a different password for every account I have online, and so I use a password manager to store them all. For sites I log into frequently, I can use Mobile Safari's saved password feature to save it securely once I enter it the first time. Unfortunately, by embedding the browser inside the app this prevents you from using this feature, and so the user flow for logging in is a bit like this:

1. Tap ‘Sign in’ button
2. Choose PlayStation account
3. Switch to the 1Password app
4. Enter my master password
5. Search for my PlayStation login
6. Copy the password
7. Switch back to the Destiny mobile app
8. Enter my email address manually (since you can only copy and paste once thing at a time, and I'd prefer not to repeat steps 3-6 twice)
9. Paste my password
10. Watch in wonder as I'm mysteriously redirected back to the login screen again
11. Enter my credentials a second time
12. Get redirected to this page:

[image]

13. Hit cancel, then try signing in again (steps 1 and 2)
14. Enter my email address and paste my password again
15. Success!

Of all the mobile applications I use regularly which integrate with some sort of service that requires authentication, only one of them requires regular login, and it also happens to be the one I dislike the most (imgur); every other one from a major service (Twitter, Tweetbot, Snapchat, Blizzard Authenticator, WoW Armory, IRCCloud, Facebook etc. etc.) retains your login credentials from the first login until you say otherwise. Is it too much to expect that the Destiny companion app does the same?

It expires?

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Friday, August 15, 2014, 07:53 (3550 days ago) @ kapowaz

I haven't looked at the companion app since right after the Beta ended, but I just checked and I'm still logged in (Android). I didn't realize these logins expired. When was the last time you used the app?

It expires?

by Yapok @, Friday, August 15, 2014, 08:16 (3550 days ago) @ JDQuackers

My android companion app has retained the login since beta for me. Maybe its an iOS app flaw?

It expires?

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, August 15, 2014, 08:19 (3550 days ago) @ Yapok

My android companion app has retained the login since beta for me. Maybe its an iOS app flaw?

I think it actually depends on which service you are logged into. All of the services have different policies for how long you can leave a user logged in (or log them back in automatically) without asking for a password.

It expires?

by Yapok @, Friday, August 15, 2014, 08:20 (3550 days ago) @ Xenos

That makes sense.

It expires?

by kapowaz, Friday, August 15, 2014, 08:53 (3550 days ago) @ Xenos

I think it actually depends on which service you are logged into. All of the services have different policies for how long you can leave a user logged in (or log them back in automatically) without asking for a password.

Hmm, perhaps, but I've had the PlayStation companion app for iOS logged in over the same period of time without it logging me out. Maybe that just means it's out of Bungie's hands, but either way it's a bit rubbish…

It expires?

by Claude Errera @, Friday, August 15, 2014, 08:57 (3550 days ago) @ kapowaz

Hmm, perhaps, but I've had the PlayStation companion app for iOS logged in over the same period of time without it logging me out. Maybe that just means it's out of Bungie's hands, but either way it's a bit rubbish…

There's definitely something funky going on; I have an iPhone, I'm logged in with my playstation username, and I haven't had to enter credentials since before the beta started. (Just checked now, to make sure - still logs me in automatically.)

It expires?

by kapowaz, Friday, August 15, 2014, 08:51 (3550 days ago) @ JDQuackers

I haven't looked at the companion app since right after the Beta ended, but I just checked and I'm still logged in (Android). I didn't realize these logins expired. When was the last time you used the app?

Maybe a day after the beta ended?

One of the things updated: enemy stats

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, August 15, 2014, 09:02 (3550 days ago) @ SteelGaribaldi

I mentioned it yesterday, but the iPhone app hadn't been updated yet, looks like you can now see stats on how many of each enemy you killed in the Grimoire.

One of the things updated: enemy stats

by Claude Errera @, Friday, August 15, 2014, 09:09 (3550 days ago) @ Xenos

I mentioned it yesterday, but the iPhone app hadn't been updated yet, looks like you can now see stats on how many of each enemy you killed in the Grimoire.

I sort of prefer the Android display (MyCount/NextLevel) to the iOS display (MyCount).

Ah, well. :)

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread