Why I don't read the front page (DBO)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, August 16, 2014, 15:19 (3551 days ago)

I always read the front page on HBO. Not so much here.

It's really simple why. I like the forums. On HBO, the link is down and off to the side, so the news stories are front and center, so I can't help but check them out. However here, the link is at the top. I click it, and my eyes haven't even had a chance to see anything underneath it, which is where the news stories live.

But that's just me.

Why I don't read the front page

by bluerunner @, Music City, Saturday, August 16, 2014, 15:30 (3551 days ago) @ Cody Miller

If you haven't been reading Leviathan's journal entries, you're missing out.

by DaDerga, Baile Átha Cliath, Saturday, August 16, 2014, 15:31 (3551 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I always read the front-page, even if not at first, I swing by for a lookee at some point.

Why *I* don't read the front page

by kapowaz, Saturday, August 16, 2014, 16:11 (3551 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I took this screen grab a couple of days ago:

[image]

One of these gives an indication of what it's about (and even then, pretty vaguely). The rest of them could easily be baby talk, but presumably are some sort of pun on the subject material contained within. I've talked about it before on HBO, I'm sure, but this kind of stuff just doesn't encourage me to click through and read a story.

Lately I've been getting my scoops on Destiny from Reddit. Kind of sad, given this site's prominence in all things Bungie.

That's not the front page. :)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Saturday, August 16, 2014, 16:22 (3551 days ago) @ kapowaz

All five of those articles on the actual front page had relevant pictures and text descriptions in addition to the often silly, in-joke titles.

Why *I* don't read the front page *links* over there ->

by kapowaz, Saturday, August 16, 2014, 21:36 (3551 days ago) @ Ragashingo

- No text -

Why do you go to the front page to access the forums?

by scarab @, Saturday, August 16, 2014, 23:41 (3550 days ago) @ Cody Miller

That's bizarre!

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Sunday, August 17, 2014, 00:08 (3550 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I always read the front page on HBO. Not so much here.

It's really simple why. I like the forums. On HBO, the link is down and off to the side, so the news stories are front and center, so I can't help but check them out. However here, the link is at the top. I click it, and my eyes haven't even had a chance to see anything underneath it, which is where the news stories live.

But that's just me.

Claude should make a Cody.Bungie.Org that has all the links at the bottom then, I guess. :)

Personally, I always read the news first and then only check the forums if I'm in the mood these days. Usually it's story speculation that fuels that click, while big or exciting news tends to scare me away (I've had my enthusiasm ground to a halt too many times by random forums/comments across the internet - I've slowly started to learn from that, heh).

I read HBO's front page for years before I ventured into the forums, and then spent more time before I ever posted there. But I was younger then and could wrangle my positivity more efficiently. If I was just getting into Destiny/Bungie, I'd probably avoid the forum completely, as I do with pretty much every other site I visit. Just don't have time nor interest to weed through cynicism, trumped-up opinions, etc. anymore. I still find B.Org forums to have less of that than most forums, though. :)

As for the titles of the news, I guess everybody finds different things interesting for further investigation. I tend to make mine up with the immediate blurb afterwards in mind, as well, since that's its natural habitat. :)

Everybody on the 'DBO crew' is pretty busy at the moment - hell, one of them even works for 343i now! Perhaps in the future we can be some super-efficient news aggregator, but there's a lot of sites out there that focus on providing that. At least, that's the impression I was under - I'm not much of a news-hunter, myself. I was reading HBO for a decade because I was reading Louis Wu's words or Stuntmutt's, or the Story Page, not cold results in a Google search or something. There was a calm style and a dependable consistency. Even now, when I've tried to post some important news when the rest of the Deebo Manor is empty, I can't help but try to emulate Claude's voice from time to time, heh.

Hopefully the crew get's more time soon to employ some of the ideas we've been kicking around. I have a feeling actually playing Destiny will be great inspiration.

by Avateur @, Sunday, August 17, 2014, 00:14 (3550 days ago) @ Leviathan

Eh, could there be more front page posts? Sure. Regardless, I think you all are doing a great job, so keep on keeping on! It's also fun knowing that we're actually Bungie, Inc.'s official mouth piece.

by kapowaz, Sunday, August 17, 2014, 10:11 (3550 days ago) @ Leviathan

Just don't have time nor interest to weed through cynicism, trumped-up opinions, etc. anymore.

Now, that's cynicism.

Levi's my first ever meta-cynic ;-)

by scarab @, Sunday, August 17, 2014, 10:15 (3550 days ago) @ kapowaz

- No text -

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Sunday, August 17, 2014, 15:12 (3550 days ago) @ kapowaz

Just don't have time nor interest to weed through cynicism, trumped-up opinions, etc. anymore.

Now, that's cynicism.

You could see it that way, I suppose, but I don't. Perhaps I should elaborate. What I'm talking about is simply recognizing things that were frustrating me and depressing me, and fixing that issue by avoiding those things. I had realized that since getting out of college I had grown addicted to the internet and was constantly using it to distract myself from my own problems. But in doing so, I made those problems much worse. So I started using blocking and "Stay Focused" plugins to ween myself off. Now I don't have the Internet connected to the computer I use for art at all, and I've found I'm a bit healthier and more productive for it. But I'm still not in a state where I can just look past all the cynicism of the Internet, so I'm still wary of the places and formats that seem to draw those kinds of attitudes. Hopefully in the future I can use it without regard and not be brought down by this or that.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Sunday, August 17, 2014, 10:26 (3550 days ago) @ Leviathan

Perhaps in the future we can be some super-efficient news aggregator

Xenos-Bot?

I thought that's what we already had?

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Sunday, August 17, 2014, 10:34 (3550 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

- No text -

Speak of the devil...

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Monday, August 18, 2014, 23:13 (3548 days ago) @ Ragashingo

You creatives are always such downers.

by Miguel Chavez, Sunday, August 17, 2014, 11:54 (3550 days ago) @ Leviathan

- No text -

I just read it through my RSS reader

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Monday, August 18, 2014, 00:48 (3549 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

by petetheduck, Monday, August 18, 2014, 05:53 (3549 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Another problem, the DBO Clan Forum doesn't get any views because you're not prone to accidentally click on it.

ROFL

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, August 18, 2014, 09:21 (3549 days ago) @ petetheduck

- No text -

frontpage.isnotcanon.net

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 06:54 (3547 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread