Want to work for Bungie *OT*

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Monday, February 25, 2013, 18:44 (4077 days ago)

From the interview with Pete Parsons:

New things that need to come in: the free-lunch program. There’s even an internal website. For the first six months you work at Bungie, if you pay for your own lunch, you’re a chump. You can walk up to anybody and invite them out to lunch, or they can walk up to you. You go out, have a nice meal, talk about whatever you want, and expense it. It’s a huge expense, but it has a huge impact on the team as you get larger. People feel like they know each other. When they’re up against a milestone, instead of reaching out to a stranger, they’re reaching out to a friend. That’s a powerful thing.

It's stuff like this that makes me wish I could work for Bungie. Not just the idea of free lunch, but the amount of time, energy, and money that they put into making sure their company is a community and not just a group of people working together. This is why I will probably always be a fan of Bungie, whether they continue to succeed or fail spectacularly.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, February 25, 2013, 19:29 (4077 days ago) @ Xenos

Too bad their contractors don't get the same treatment.

OOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHH.

They are the worst

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Monday, February 25, 2013, 19:45 (4077 days ago) @ Cody Miller

That one time with that one guy who claimed it unsubstantiated on the Internet? Yeah they are terrible towards ALL contractors.

</sarcasm>

by kapowaz, Monday, February 25, 2013, 22:57 (4077 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Too bad their contractors don't get the same treatment.

Speaking as an IT contractor I think it's fair enough not getting all the perks a permanent member of staff gets. You're getting compensated in other ways; thems the breaks.

by PsychoRaven, Oklahoma, Tuesday, February 26, 2013, 14:05 (4076 days ago) @ kapowaz

Exactly. There is a difference after all. For me if I was a contractor I'd just be happy to be working at Bungie even if it's temporary. I think if I ever had a dream job it would be Bungie but I don't have any skills unless bungie needs someone to sit on a couch and play their games. If so then I'm the man for the job. lol

Nice

by Lurono @, Oklahoma, USA, Monday, February 25, 2013, 20:46 (4077 days ago) @ Xenos

That blurb gave me the same feeling that reading Valve's New Employee handbook when it leaked a while ago!

Completely agree!

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Monday, February 25, 2013, 21:07 (4077 days ago) @ Lurono

- No text -

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Monday, February 25, 2013, 21:15 (4077 days ago) @ Xenos

From the interview with Pete Parsons:

New things that need to come in: the free-lunch program. There’s even an internal website. For the first six months you work at Bungie, if you pay for your own lunch, you’re a chump. You can walk up to anybody and invite them out to lunch, or they can walk up to you. You go out, have a nice meal, talk about whatever you want, and expense it. It’s a huge expense, but it has a huge impact on the team as you get larger. People feel like they know each other. When they’re up against a milestone, instead of reaching out to a stranger, they’re reaching out to a friend. That’s a powerful thing.

It's stuff like this that makes me wish I could work for Bungie. Not just the idea of free lunch, but the amount of time, energy, and money that they put into making sure their company is a community and not just a group of people working together. This is why I will probably always be a fan of Bungie, whether they continue to succeed or fail spectacularly.

I have to say it is pretty fun being surrounded by people who all love what they do, and do it well (regardless of where it is).

With that said - Free Lunch? Did I read that right? Sounds like a trap to me.

Ain't no such thing as a free lunch

by Flynn J Taggart, Monday, February 25, 2013, 22:11 (4077 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

- No text -

I don't normally don my tinfoil hat...

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Tuesday, February 26, 2013, 14:17 (4076 days ago) @ Xenos

...but this smells fishy. Employees indulging on extragavant meals at the company's expense? Sounds like the Bungie Hierarchs are trying to fatten up their populace keeping them content at their desks without concern of family or exercise.

World Domination by the obese

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, February 26, 2013, 14:39 (4076 days ago) @ Grizzlei

...but this smells fishy. Employees indulging on extragavant meals at the company's expense? Sounds like the Bungie Hierarchs are trying to fatten up their populace keeping them content at their desks without concern of family or exercise.

That can't be it, how are people that can't leave their desks supposed to Dominate the World?

He's absolutely right

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Tuesday, February 26, 2013, 14:41 (4076 days ago) @ Xenos
edited by Grizzlei, Tuesday, February 26, 2013, 14:54

That can't be it, how are people that can't leave their desks supposed to Dominate the World?

How could they expect to dominate the world if they can't even fit inside the building?

Drones

by RC ⌂, UK, Tuesday, February 26, 2013, 15:08 (4076 days ago) @ Xenos

Robots. Tele-control. Duh. This is simple stuff. They probably program it over afternoon tea. I mean coffee... er, break.

Tea

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, February 26, 2013, 15:20 (4076 days ago) @ RC

I know you are from across the pond, but I love the image of them programming drones while wearing monocles and sipping their tea.

Tea

by Dagoonite, Somewhere in Iowa, lost in a cornfield., Tuesday, February 26, 2013, 15:23 (4076 days ago) @ Xenos

"Pardon me old chap, I do so dearly hate to interrupt, but when you finish do you think you could you please tighten the flight controls a bit? We've got a bit of drift in the testing. Cheers!"

I'll go flog myself now, so you don't have to.

FYI

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Tuesday, February 26, 2013, 17:59 (4076 days ago) @ Xenos

I know you are from across the pond, but I love the image of them programming drones while wearing monocles and sipping their tea.

I totally do this. But not across the pond. And not programming. And not Tea.

_██_
(ಠ_ృ)

New ViDoc: "To Serve Man"

by Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) ⌂ @, London, Ontario, Canada, Tuesday, February 26, 2013, 15:27 (4076 days ago) @ Grizzlei

- No text -

God dammit!

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Tuesday, February 26, 2013, 15:34 (4076 days ago) @ Anton P. Nym (aka Steve)

That's the exact story I was thinking of. Couldn't for the life of me remember what it was called. Thank you! :)

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread