Best Control Layout for Destiny (Destiny)

by BlackCoffee_AU, Monday, August 18, 2014, 07:00 (3547 days ago)

http://www.strengthofthewolf.com/best-control-layout/

Im hoping a little self promotion is ok here, if not let me know.

In Halo i took way to long before i tried different control options, in Destiny i didn't make the same mistake.

What was everyone else using in the Beta?

Best Control Layout for Destiny

by DaDerga, Baile Átha Cliath, Monday, August 18, 2014, 07:37 (3547 days ago) @ BlackCoffee_AU

Stuck to default for the beta but I did a lot of sliding when moving about so I'm pretty certain I'll go for "puppeteer" in the release.
[image]

Jumper.

by UnrealCh13f @, San Luis Obispo, CA, Monday, August 18, 2014, 07:55 (3547 days ago) @ BlackCoffee_AU

Gotta take advantage of the verticality! :D

Jumper.

by NotTheVacuum, Tuesday, August 19, 2014, 15:04 (3545 days ago) @ UnrealCh13f

If every game had a bumper jumper layout, I could stick with this. I got used to it in Reach and Halo 4, but any time I played something else, it got ugly for a while. Then I'd get used to it, and go back to playing Halo, and it got ugly again.

I wish the Xbox OS took over button mapping, and it was more arbitrary (kinda like PC).

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, August 18, 2014, 08:01 (3547 days ago) @ BlackCoffee_AU

I used Green Thumb in Halo 1 and 2 and often got beat downs.

At some point I just started using defaults. I'm sure I died more because I kept zooming my weapon whenever I'd get close to someone.

Puppeteer

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Monday, August 18, 2014, 08:42 (3547 days ago) @ BlackCoffee_AU

I need crouch to be clicking in a stick. I also prefer melee to be on a button (B for choice) and aiming in to be on a stick. I wish they had a Recon-style scheme, but puppeteer will do.

Puppeteer

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Monday, August 18, 2014, 09:10 (3547 days ago) @ RaichuKFM

I also prefer melee to be on a button (B for choice)

You mean B for "Bash"? :)

Puppeteer

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Monday, August 18, 2014, 17:31 (3546 days ago) @ RaichuKFM

It's more useful in games with more Chest-High-Walls(TM), but I like crouch to be mapped to a button I'm already touching. Less time wasted under fire.

If only I could stick Jump on Left bumper as well, I'd have all my most important, basic moves (Jump, Crouch, Shoot, Punch and LDS) available without taking my hands off the sticks. Perfect.

Apparently I have no idea how a playstation controller works

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, August 18, 2014, 08:59 (3547 days ago) @ BlackCoffee_AU

Where are L3 and R3?

Clicking in the analog stick.

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Monday, August 18, 2014, 09:03 (3547 days ago) @ Ragashingo

- No text -

Equivalent to LS / RS on an Xbox controller

by kapowaz, Monday, August 18, 2014, 09:49 (3547 days ago) @ Ragashingo

- No text -

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Monday, August 18, 2014, 09:13 (3547 days ago) @ BlackCoffee_AU

I just used the default since I figure Bungie has good reasons for choosing that as the default. I think sometimes button layouts are chosen to encourage certain behaviors, like the abilities in Reach being on bumpers to encourage their use as opposed to equipment being on X in Halo 3.

That said, I might try the puppeteer layout. It seems like a good trade-off to me.

by PackLeader89, Durham, NC, Monday, August 18, 2014, 09:50 (3547 days ago) @ BlackCoffee_AU

I used default for Beta. I didn't even think about my controller. I probably should have. I will be using Green Thumb for full game release.

by squidnh3, Monday, August 18, 2014, 09:56 (3547 days ago) @ BlackCoffee_AU

I wasn't very happy with the control options available in the Beta. I play Boxer in Halo, which doesn't seem to fit that well with Destiny's schemes. I also dislike having an frequent action (i.e., sprint) assigned to clicking the left stick. I'd rather swap crouch to the stick and have sprint be on 'B', like in the Halo 4 Boxer control scheme.

Destiny seems to have a great many actions that will be more or less important depending on the character you are playing. I think there needs to be a lot more options than what there was in the Beta, or even *gasp* assignable controls.

by Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316) ⌂ @, Detroit, Monday, August 18, 2014, 13:33 (3546 days ago) @ squidnh3

or even *gasp* assignable controls.

Madness.

by Kalamari @, Waiting for Ghorn, FB, and BH, Monday, August 18, 2014, 14:19 (3546 days ago) @ Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316)

Other games have them. Why not Bungie games?

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Monday, August 18, 2014, 14:28 (3546 days ago) @ Kalamari

Well, very few console games do. I don't know WHY, but it is very rare in console games. I remember somebody was making a list of console games that had them and he didn't even get to more than 20 that he could find.

by Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316) ⌂ @, Detroit, Monday, August 18, 2014, 17:58 (3546 days ago) @ Xenos

Well, very few console games do. I don't know WHY, but it is very rare in console games. I remember somebody was making a list of console games that had them and he didn't even get to more than 20 that he could find.

Valve games do it. Bethesda games, too. It's glorious.

Maybe they don't want people with optimized control schemes to have an advantage in multi.

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Tuesday, August 19, 2014, 13:27 (3545 days ago) @ Xenos

Citation needed, I'm pretty sure 40% or more of the games I've played with controllers that had more than two main buttons let you customize the controls. As for why, the only reasons I can see are it slowing things down, using more memory, and potentially introducing more bugs, because you have to add a layer of abstraction between pressing a button and performing an action-- and they're all ridiculous because all you need is a very simple redirection function or a set of them, and they're especially ridiculous for games that let you choose between pre-set control setups because they have to be doing that already. It would take a lot (code samples and run statistics and probably hardware details, which are very unlikely) to make me buy there's a good technology-based reason not to have custom controls-- so I think it's something else (or someone is confused and/or out of touch and/or lazy and can't be convinced of the above). I can't fathom a philosophical argument against it. There isn't really an ergonomic argument to be made because the controllers are supposed to be ergonomically designed and players would be able to set up something that works the best for their hands. I just wish we could talk to the engineer or manager that made the decision to not have custom controls-- I know Urk and Deej mean well and they try to be informed, but they never get into stuff like this, and neither did their predecessors.

40%?!

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Tuesday, August 19, 2014, 14:21 (3545 days ago) @ General Vagueness

I remember SW: Battlefront and maybe Battlefield 3...

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, August 18, 2014, 18:02 (3546 days ago) @ Kalamari

This is a huge mystery that is unexplained, and quite frankly should be a little embarrassing for Bungie.

by squidnh3, Monday, August 18, 2014, 19:59 (3546 days ago) @ Kalamari

I vaguely remember some sort of mumbo-jumbo in a weekly update or mail sack about wanting to test all the layouts and unintended consequences of certain button combinations when using vehicles. It seemed sort of reasonable at the time, but I'm no longer convinced after being forced to play with a scheme I felt was sub-optimal for me.

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Tuesday, August 19, 2014, 13:29 (3545 days ago) @ squidnh3

I vaguely remember some sort of mumbo-jumbo in a weekly update or mail sack about wanting to test all the layouts and unintended consequences of certain button combinations when using vehicles.

OK, for vehicles and some interaction-able things, I can see some clashing, maybe, they might have to work things out, but it still shouldn't be that hard, and they can show you what button to press to do things either every time or the first time you use something.

It seemed sort of reasonable at the time, but I'm no longer convinced after being forced to play with a scheme I felt was sub-optimal for me.

It's funny how that happens.

Default, for lack of anything better.

by ShadowOfTheVoid ⌂, South Carolina, Monday, August 18, 2014, 10:03 (3547 days ago) @ BlackCoffee_AU

I was hoping for a more classic Halo-style control layout. I was thinking of melee on B/circle, L3/click left stick to crouch, and sprint mapped to R1/RB. Jump, grenade aim down sights, reload/interact, and swap weapon are fine where they are on Default, but because of pure habit I kept clicking left stick to crouch and circle to melee. It takes a while to get used to. I wish console shooters had a wider variety of layout options so I can minimize that adaptation period going from one game to the next. Muscle memory is a harsh mistress, especially for someone like me who does nearly everything out of reflex. My truck door had to be replaced a few weeks back and this one has windows and locks that are manual, but I still keep reaching down to click buttons that aren't there because the previous door had a power window and lock.

Cold Shoulder

by Phoenix_9286 @, Monday, August 18, 2014, 10:12 (3547 days ago) @ BlackCoffee_AU

At least for me. It basically co-ops the controls for Borderlands. I know Borderlands, I like Borderlands, it made sense to use Cold Shoulder. I hate Melee being on a bumper, and the Grenade placement just felt awkward.

by Avateur @, Monday, August 18, 2014, 17:47 (3546 days ago) @ BlackCoffee_AU

Aka the best one. :P

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Tuesday, August 19, 2014, 13:09 (3545 days ago) @ BlackCoffee_AU

I rock green thumb in every Halo game, but in the beta it was more bothersome than the default because of how it moved one or two actions to places that were less readily reachable than in the default; I looked at the other control schemes and tried them momentarily, and decided to stick with the default. I'll probably play around with them again in the final game and probably go with default again.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread