How Bungie Should Spend Its (Ostensibly) $500M Budget (Destiny)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, August 18, 2014, 13:20 (3541 days ago)
edited by Korny, Monday, August 18, 2014, 13:24

Step 1: Rehire Marty.

As for any other steps, this well-written Forbes article gives us something to read and mull over while we wait...

Edit: If you reach the end of the article, it opens up a previous one by the same writer. There are some neat Beta impressions that were likely posted about before, but I missed out on.

How Bungie Should Spend Its (Ostensibly) $500M Budget

by Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) ⌂ @, London, Ontario, Canada, Monday, August 18, 2014, 14:36 (3541 days ago) @ Korny

Okay, reporter worries that the latest Bungie title might be light on, of all things, story? If so, Destiny will be the first since, well, ever unless you include Gnop and Operation Desert Storm. If I were a betting man I'd bet that the Beta (and its <REDACTED> Grimoire) was deliberately lighter on story elements than the final game will be to preserve the surprise the same way that Bungie's pre-release promotional campaigns have been for its prior games.

-- Steve won't rule out the idea of an underwhelming story, but thinks the track record is heavily weighted against it.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, August 18, 2014, 15:03 (3541 days ago) @ Anton P. Nym (aka Steve)

Right.

The author is essentially guessing that Bungie is going to step back from and forget all the good storytelling they've done. To me, Destiny's universe already feels more diverse than Halo's. The Fallen aren't just a warrior race like the Elites were before they became space samurai or whatever. The Fallen are scavengers and space pirates who humiliate their own in a rank based society and who worship strange spherical machines that have a strange interaction with their souls. The Hive are agents of some greater power who have built a huge fortress on our moon, who worship their own heroes like Crota, and who attack other worlds by bombing then with huge mace-like assault craft... and that's just the beta. By this point in Halo's life cycle we knew nothing about any of our enemies. Not how they acted outside of combat or where they were based or anything else, and only knew about the Spartan program and the UNSC if we'd read The Fall of Reach... which I hadn't.

by Durandal, Monday, August 18, 2014, 15:09 (3541 days ago) @ Anton P. Nym (aka Steve)

It seems lots of people looked at the Alpha and Beta and assumed that was exactly what the final game would be. It is pretty clear to me that Bungie deliberately left out as much story and cutscenes as they could to preserve much of the story for the actual play through. For a company that polished the Halo maps to make them very intuitive to progress through, I would find it odd that they would just drop the ball like the author seems to imply.

Bungie has played Destiny very close to the chest, and given out very little information to date. It stands to reason the beta would be stripped of as many spoilers as possible.

by DaDerga, Baile Átha Cliath, Monday, August 18, 2014, 17:12 (3541 days ago) @ Durandal

It seems lots of people looked at the Alpha and Beta and assumed that was exactly what the final game would be.

I agree, lazy assumption passed off as journalism.

From what we’ve seen so far,

Pity that, in spite of that caveat, he continued to consider taking what we had in hand as the final product.

Isn't a little late for should?

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Monday, August 18, 2014, 19:38 (3541 days ago) @ Korny

- No text -

After spending $490M on pizza, absolutely.

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Monday, August 18, 2014, 19:44 (3541 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

When completed, the slingshot will be capable of trajectorizing objects at 88 miles per hour.

After spending $490M on pizza, absolutely.

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Monday, August 18, 2014, 19:46 (3541 days ago) @ uberfoop

When completed, the slingshot will be capable of trajectorizing objects at 88 miles per hour.

Step 1: go back in time (given that Back to the Future was nonfiction)

Step 2: get the money from old Bungie

Step 3: repeat as necessary

by Miguel Chavez, Monday, August 18, 2014, 19:51 (3541 days ago) @ Korny

I give him props for taking a completely out-of-context quote that was already clarified, and turning it into a thousand-word-orgasm of nonsense. Kudos.

And Marty can go do whatever the fuck he wants now. He don't need Bungie. We're entering the Salvatori-age, let's see how it pans out. I'm eager for whatever both of them do in the future.

- M

PostScript: You should check out this page.

by Miguel Chavez, Monday, August 18, 2014, 20:11 (3541 days ago) @ Miguel Chavez

We're entering the Salvatori-age, let's see how it pans out. I'm eager for whatever both of them do in the future.

Just visited this page, clicked on Listen, and started hearing some pretty amazing music on a loop. Start with The Watcher!

http://www.michaelsalvatori.com/

Even the Hail to the Chimp stuff was cool. :)

PostScript: You should check out this page.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, August 18, 2014, 20:16 (3541 days ago) @ Miguel Chavez

We're entering the Salvatori-age, let's see how it pans out. I'm eager for whatever both of them do in the future.

Just visited this page, clicked on Listen, and started hearing some pretty amazing music on a loop. Start with The Watcher!

http://www.michaelsalvatori.com/

Even the Hail to the Chimp stuff was cool. :)

Man, The Watcher! Makes me want to go back and play a very old game.

Opening theme Septerra Core sounds like Swordbase intro

by scarab @, Tuesday, August 19, 2014, 09:34 (3541 days ago) @ Miguel Chavez

it's the drums...

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread