Priorities (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, August 19, 2014, 15:46 (3548 days ago)

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2014/08/19/interview-bungies-jonty-barnes-on-destinys-locations-multiplayer-and-beta-test...

TSA: But there won’t the kind of custom modes which you had in Halo games?

Jonty: Um, I think we’ve been asked quite a bit about whether or not we’re going to do private games and things like that. It’s certainly an active discussion, but it’s really about how we wanted to make sure for launch that we had the best gameplay that we could offer for the core competitive multiplayer activity.

This is kind of surprising. Why would this be even up for discussion? OF COURSE you add custom games. Shouldn't that be the default, given it's hugely popular from Halo and expected?

The fact it's not there at launch is seriously not cool. Not the end of the world, but disappointing.

'Tis a bit odd, right?

by Blue_Blazer_NZ, Wellington, New Zealand, Tuesday, August 19, 2014, 15:49 (3548 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by Blue_Blazer_NZ, Tuesday, August 19, 2014, 15:55

I mean, Reach pushed the boat out with a massive feature set; Forge, custom games, theatre and file sharing.

Obviously theatre and file-sharing are taking a back-seat as the new consoles have built-in capture tools which are...okay for now. Forge may be too ambitious to throw in to a new IP. But custom games? Weird they aren't in for launch. Maybe it's something to do with the game not being Peer-to-peer and has to be hosted on dedicated servers which, for launch, are all being set up to host a specific catalogue of multiplayer game types?

Priorities

by TDSpiral ⌂ @, TDS Gaming Shack, WA, Tuesday, August 19, 2014, 15:51 (3548 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Wow. That is surprising, given the huge swath of custom options that Halo Reach had for all its game modes. I'm disappointed, to say the least.

Priorities

by kapowaz, Tuesday, August 19, 2014, 16:07 (3548 days ago) @ Cody Miller

This is kind of surprising. Why would this be even up for discussion? OF COURSE you add custom games. Shouldn't that be the default, given it's hugely popular from Halo and expected?

It's hugely popular, but to play devil's advocate, is it really the core multiplayer experience of the Halo games? Arguably it's actually just one of many cool sandbox features, but the majority of people just play Team Slayer on whatever maps come up in the standard rotation.

I'm not sure how well stuff like Forge fits into the overall vision of Destiny, though; it's kind of a slow-burn activity that a minority do so that a larger number of people can then participate in, but it's not an inherently social sandbox thing (forging) in the same way the majority of the other activities you do in Destiny are. Maybe they just looked at it and thought it was better without?

Where I think this could potentially all get interesting is when/if they decide to release Destiny on PC. If that happened there's always a possibility they could also release Grognok to the general public as a means of expanding your activities in the game. That would certainly be interesting to a lot of people, I'm sure.

Priorities

by Schooly D, TSD Gaming Condo, TX, Tuesday, August 19, 2014, 16:14 (3548 days ago) @ Cody Miller

No private matches was what eventually killed my enthusiasm for Titanfall early. I had a lot of fun playing matchmade games initially, but pretty soon I wanted to set up private games with teams/settings that I chose. Without that option it was just back to the random meat-grinder again and again which got stale quickly.

Even exempting Destiny from having the myriad of customization options available in Reach, simply being able to stage multiplayer games between specific people with standard settings is valuable and, as I think they'll find, necessary to keep competitive people playing.

I realize that Destiny isn't purely multiplayer but this is still a huge disappointment. I wish I could say it's also a surprise.

The momentum continues its shift away from Bungie/Destiny and toward 343/MCC/H5.

Priorities

by Avateur @, Tuesday, August 19, 2014, 18:38 (3548 days ago) @ Schooly D

The momentum continues its shift away from Bungie/Destiny and toward 343/MCC/H5.

Lol that thing where when momentum shifts back to a collection of Bungie's old games, it's somehow shifting away from Bungie and toward 343. :P

There's not enough of H5 to determine if it's good or sucks yet, so I don't see a momentum shift (especially considering 343's track record vs. Bungie's). But that's just me.

Priorities

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Tuesday, August 19, 2014, 18:59 (3548 days ago) @ Schooly D

Even exempting Destiny from having the myriad of customization options available in Reach, simply being able to stage multiplayer games between specific people with standard settings is valuable

This, basically. Don't give me the total customisation options from previous games? Fine. I'll live. I don't really need that Fiesta Active Camo gametype. But at least let me play vanilla Slayer with the opponent of my choosing.

Priorities

by Fuertisimo, Tuesday, August 19, 2014, 16:26 (3548 days ago) @ Cody Miller

There's a lot of "not the end of the world but disappointing nonetheless" aspects to the game. Gonna be a great game but can't help but feel it could have been even better.

Priorities

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Tuesday, August 19, 2014, 16:37 (3548 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by Ragashingo, Tuesday, August 19, 2014, 17:28

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2014/08/19/interview-bungies-jonty-barnes-on-destinys-locations-multiplayer-and-beta-test...

TSA: But there won’t the kind of custom modes which you had in Halo games?

Jonty: Um, I think we’ve been asked quite a bit about whether or not we’re going to do private games and things like that. It’s certainly an active discussion, but it’s really about how we wanted to make sure for launch that we had the best gameplay that we could offer for the core competitive multiplayer activity.

How hugely popular is it, exactly? Do you have numbers? Have such numbers even been released ever? I would expect that matchmaking games far outnumbered custom games over Halo's internet enabled lifespan. I can understand people who loved custom games being disappointed, but unless I'm grossly underestimating the matchmade / custom game ratio then there is no surprise here.

I also disagree that custom games should be focused on first, full stop. I like matchmaking...

Priorities

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, August 19, 2014, 16:40 (3548 days ago) @ Ragashingo

How hugely popular is it, exactly? Do you have numbers? Have such numbers even been released ever? I would expect that matchmaking games far outnumbered custom games over Halo's internet enabled lifespan. I can understand people who loved custom games being disappointed, but unless I'm grossly underestimating the matchmade / custom game ration then there is no surprise here.

These are professionals, and each game is supposed to be better than the last. Please don't make excuses. Removing features is a big deal.

How many people will get Bad Juju? Fewer than will play custom games yet they still modeled it.

So you're just going to ignore my questions?

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Tuesday, August 19, 2014, 17:06 (3548 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I guess your standard "Bungie sucks" narrative is too important to you to address someone's point when someone ask you something. If you feel like having an actual discussion I'll be here.

Like I have the answers?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, August 19, 2014, 17:41 (3548 days ago) @ Ragashingo

- No text -

Just keeping you honest. :)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Tuesday, August 19, 2014, 18:48 (3548 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

Priorities

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Tuesday, August 19, 2014, 17:14 (3548 days ago) @ Cody Miller

How hugely popular is it, exactly? Do you have numbers? Have such numbers even been released ever? I would expect that matchmaking games far outnumbered custom games over Halo's internet enabled lifespan. I can understand people who loved custom games being disappointed, but unless I'm grossly underestimating the matchmade / custom game ration then there is no surprise here.

These are professionals, and each game is supposed to be better than the last. Please don't make excuses. Removing features is a big deal.

I don't see how this is "removing a feature" if it never had it. Halo and Destiny didn't have large scale RTS battles like Myth, so I guess we're missing features there too? To me, this all stems from viewing Destiny as a Halo successor, when it's a completely new game with its own features, made by a somewhat-different group of people. It's going to have its own feats, its own quirks, and it sounds like they'll develop custom games if Destiny naturally needs it in its own right, not just because a game they made before had it.

Obviously, you can view it as a Halo successor if you want to, but not everyone does.

Priorities

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, August 19, 2014, 17:44 (3548 days ago) @ Leviathan

I don't see how this is "removing a feature" if it never had it. Halo and Destiny didn't have large scale RTS battles like Myth, so I guess we're missing features there too?

Well, Myth had custom games, so yeah it's missing. :-p

Priorities

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Tuesday, August 19, 2014, 18:56 (3548 days ago) @ Ragashingo

It wouldn't be an issue, but if I want to play a game with (and against) a group of friends, that option doesn't seem to be available to me in matchmaking. (At least as far as we saw in the beta)

That's pretty reasonable for matchmaking - allowing both teams to communicate could encourage cheating, especially if they know each other already and grouped up intentionally.

But if its not allowed in matchmaking, and there are no other options... I'm just SOL? I enjoy matchmade games, but sometimes you just want to throw down with some friends. Roughly 75% of my time with Halo 2 and 3 was spent in custom games, and I used to have regular get-togethers (both online and in person) to do so.

Destiny keeps getting called a "social experience", but without custom games, competitive multiplayer is just an endless conveyor-belt of strangers. What's social about that?

[Caveat: It's totally possible some form of "unranked" playlist will exist like in their previous titles, that will mitigate this somewhat. Just going on what limited information we currently have etc. etc.]

Priorities

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Tuesday, August 19, 2014, 19:20 (3548 days ago) @ someotherguy

Destiny keeps getting called a "social experience", but without custom games, competitive multiplayer is just an endless conveyor-belt of strangers. What's social about that?

I had fun killing strangers with friends, but you make a good point. It was also a lot of fun killing friends with friends the odd times our groups got split across teams in the beta. :)

Priorities

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Tuesday, August 19, 2014, 19:24 (3548 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I don't want to downplay Matchmaking. I had a lot of fun with the multiplayer in the beta. But there's something extra special about being able to put a face to that Titan who just smashed you into the ground.

Or better yet, being able to walk into the next room and slap him round the head for it, if you're playing in a LAN.

Or dance at them. That was the best. :)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Tuesday, August 19, 2014, 19:27 (3548 days ago) @ someotherguy

- No text -

Walk into the other room and dance at them? Nice!

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Tuesday, August 19, 2014, 22:45 (3548 days ago) @ Ragashingo

- No text -

Not what I meant, but sure. :)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Tuesday, August 19, 2014, 22:56 (3548 days ago) @ uberfoop

- No text -

Ha, I almost posted the same. Beat me to it.

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 05:34 (3548 days ago) @ uberfoop

- No text -

Priorities

by Kalamari @, Waiting for Ghorn, FB, and BH, Tuesday, August 19, 2014, 17:17 (3548 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I think this might be just another case of paring down features which are either unfeasible or not ready to be implemented. I agree that it's disappointing to see them absent at release, but it sounds like something that they have already put a lot of work into and will likely see in the future. That's the impression I got from the interview.

Priorities

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, August 19, 2014, 17:20 (3548 days ago) @ Kalamari

I think this might be just another case of paring down features which are either unfeasible or not ready to be implemented. I agree that it's disappointing to see them absent at release, but it sounds like something that they have already put a lot of work into and will likely see in the future. That's the impression I got from the interview.

Yeah I even got a little bit more out of it implying they'll implement it based our feedback, meaning including customization we want if feasible.

... - I'm ok with this! :D

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Tuesday, August 19, 2014, 18:01 (3548 days ago) @ Cody Miller

You guys are SO old hat. You don't want custom modes of multiplayer. That's right - you tricked yourself into thinking you want it. My! How clever of you.

In fact - what you really want is something you didn't even know you wanted. <3 Bungie.

(Custom Raids)... Hey! What are you doing reading this! That's not what words are for!

by Durandal, Tuesday, August 19, 2014, 18:36 (3548 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

I think the issue is that private matches and Forge mode would be prone to abuse. In Halo, where level's didn't really matter it wasn't a big deal, but in Destiny you could level up all your gear basically off line and then take it into PVP for an advantage. Yeah, it doesn't mean you can't grind PVE to level gear, but some people will do it in order to get those perfect stats. I mean stat resets are a PAID thing in COD just so people can brag.

Good point.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Tuesday, August 19, 2014, 18:43 (3548 days ago) @ Durandal

- No text -

/End Thread

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Tuesday, August 19, 2014, 18:51 (3548 days ago) @ Durandal

- No text -

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Tuesday, August 19, 2014, 19:05 (3548 days ago) @ Durandal

Disable character progression in custom games. Job done.

I realise it's probably not as easy as just flickming a switch. But it could be feasible?

Maybe?

Please?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, August 19, 2014, 19:07 (3548 days ago) @ someotherguy
edited by Cody Miller, Tuesday, August 19, 2014, 19:11

That was my first thought, however then you have other players surpassing you because they play Matchmaking. Since the game is ultimately going to revolve around gear, and gear is gotten with crucible marks and stuff, then playing custom games essentially puts you "behind".

Flawed system. Don't you just love player investment?

by Avateur @, Tuesday, August 19, 2014, 19:19 (3548 days ago) @ Cody Miller

That was my first thought, however then you have other players surpassing you because they play Matchmaking. Since the game is ultimately going to revolve around gear, and gear is gotten with crucible marks and stuff, then playing custom games essentially puts you "behind".

Customs would ideally provide the options we see in Crucible where the individuals who have higher gear or who have played longer are largely made irrelevant by standardizing stats (give or take impact and a few others). If someone wants a custom like Iron Banner, then maybe that's an option.

It's like you said in your initial post about how customs should have never been off the table. This seems like a no brainer, but Bungie did what they somehow thought was best. Hopefully it doesn't turn into a 343 and blow up on them and take a decade to implement.

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Tuesday, August 19, 2014, 19:21 (3548 days ago) @ Cody Miller

That seems kind of ridiculous to me. Obviously if you're playing custom games that's separate to matchmaking. Having an issue with that would be like complaining that your Golf handicap doesn't improve by playing mini golf at your local Putt-Putt Super-Mega-Fun-House(TM)

Of course, someone is bound to throw a tantrum over it. They're probably already lining up over at B.net.

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Tuesday, August 19, 2014, 21:04 (3548 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I'm confused and think I'm misunderstanding you. Wouldn't it be the same as simply not playing (i.e. doing anything else in your life) from the perspective of character/gear growth? Does that mean every minute I don't play, I'm "behind"?

It also means every minute I sit on the cliffs of Old Russia looking at the Moon and aurora, I'm "behind"...

That's why gear and leveling is a fun a mini-game, and it it's good way to find yourself lead into new activities, but it's the activities themselves, exploring, blasting, etc. that the game revolves around, for me. Gear is just a metaphorical map beacon from that perspective.

For me, customs isn't a big deal as I'm not a 'versus' or competitive player. I have a feeling it will be a nice addition down the road, though, simply so that I can sit around and explore the multiplayer maps without being murdered. But there's going to be plenty more stuff I'd rather do first, though...

Still, I don't see why they couldn't work with the leveling turned off.

by Avateur @, Tuesday, August 19, 2014, 21:54 (3548 days ago) @ Leviathan
edited by Avateur, Tuesday, August 19, 2014, 22:04

For me, customs isn't a big deal as I'm not a 'versus' or competitive player. I have a feeling it will be a nice addition down the road, though, simply so that I can sit around and explore the multiplayer maps without being murdered. But there's going to be plenty more stuff I'd rather do first, though...

There's this odd outcry here regarding competitive play and it's sort of a joke. You're not misunderstanding it, don't get me wrong. But when I look at what customs has largely done for Halo in a world with Forge, competitive hasn't really been it. H3's community maps were largely horrible. A lot of the fun and awesome stuff came out of the fun and zany things that customs allowed, generally not on a competitive level. The same applies to Reach.

Even Halo 2 used customs with honor system rules to create gametypes like Zombies. I really think customs not being included is a stupid design decision, but I'm not going to sit here and pretend like this is some horrible doom that has befallen an alleged hardcore or competitive crowd in a game that I don't view as largely competitive to begin with, as well as knowing that customs in Halo games were generally anything but hardcore or competitive to the vast majority of players. I agree with you, there's plenty more stuff I'd rather do first, and that's why I can be patient and wait for customs (and pray they don't take a century to implement it).

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 08:06 (3548 days ago) @ Avateur

Heh, I think you misunderstood ME that time. :) What was confusing me was Cody's reasoning as to why Customs with disabled leveling wouldn't / couldn't work in Destiny. I was saying it wouldn't break the game as a whole and could be implemented.

I DO understand why some people want them. That specific paragraph you highlighted was why I personally don't care too much whether they're included or not. It helps that I never expected them either and have am trying to enter Destiny without viewing it as a sequel to Halo. There are many versus modes in games I own that I've never given time to or even looked to see what options come with them. :)

by Avateur @, Tuesday, August 19, 2014, 19:16 (3548 days ago) @ Durandal

Easy fix. No EXP or anything tied to the private matches. Or a really minimal amount like in Reach.

I was talking to Pete and he brought up a good point about customs. People want to be able to practice and explore maps out of matchmaking. Or play with large parties (no guarantee that would ever work in Destiny). The fact that they cut off this avenue of gameplay is really questionable. I just hope they figure it out and get it implemented soon.

Priorities

by Avateur @, Tuesday, August 19, 2014, 18:36 (3548 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Sounds like they'll implement it later. Customs would be a good thing at launch, and I agree that it seems really stupid not to, but whatever. Maybe it's technical. But oh well, hopefully it'll all work out.

Am the sad.

by Velociraptor112, Places., Tuesday, August 19, 2014, 20:28 (3548 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

It is wanted...

by breitzen @, Kansas, Tuesday, August 19, 2014, 20:31 (3548 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Outside of just us old halo players.

Some early reviews of Titanfall slammed it for not have this option (it was added in post launch). I think it's a great way to compliment matchmaking. Allowing people to scope out maps and practice jumps or just screw around.

In a game like destiny you have to balance it with progression but that doesn't seem that hard (to my ignorant self). Maybe it is a big internal debate but I'm willing to bet if it doesn't launch with it that there will be enough demand by the players to get it in pretty quickly.

It's surprising

by Zeouterlimits, Ireland, Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 02:47 (3548 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Maybe the project is under more time pressure than it seems?
The estimated cost of resources to get it to the correct quality level was too much?

Hopefully it means they want to do it really, really well.
I just hope that by launching without it, they don't inadvertently [or intentionally] kill it's presence in the conciousness of the player base, meaning that when it hopefully does launch, people ignore it because they're set in their Destiny ways.

Not happy to hear this :/

by Chris101b @, Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 08:51 (3548 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I loved the Destiny Beta and am looking forward to the game, but this is seriously disappointing news. With a (supposedly) $500 million price tag, you would think that this game would be one of the most fully featured games Bungie has ever created. I'm not seeing where that money went though. This game is different from Halo, sure, but no customs? Really?

I've seen so many games suffer from not having customs; Battlefield 3 being my favorite example. I purchased the game on Xbox 360 and thought it was one of the dumbest mistakes that they made (Along with the multitude of other things that negatively impacted the game).

The issue here is that if Bungie does not include custom games, people are going to cheat the system and try to do it anyway. They will go into matchmaking with a full party, and spend the whole match playing something like "The Floor is Lava" or something like that.

At that point, you have to wonder why they were't included in the first place. I know this isn't Halo, but this is Bungie. And many Bungie games have allowed us to play the game how we want. So far, it seems that Destiny is kind of going away from that. Keep using all these terms that will resonate with their fans, but they aren't really showing it to us. They say the game is a social experience, but we can't talk to anyone in the game without going through a convoluted menu system and we can't play the game how we want with our friends. But I don't think the game will be sustained off matchmaking alone. I mean, even I got tired of Halo matchmaking, but there was something else I could always do instead. That seems less true with destiny. If you don't want matchmaking, you play campaign, if you don't campaign..... well I guess you can play another game.

Halo was always full of options. You could do campaign, multiplayer, custom games, forge a map, forge with friends for fun, watch saved films, do glitches. You always had something to do. With Destiny, I feel like Bungie is just trying to tell us what is fun about the game and only offering that (and to be honest, offering even less than that).

So I can't say I'm happy to hear this. All i can hope is to see custom games added in a future update.

That 500 Mil Thing

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 10:14 (3548 days ago) @ Chris101b

How hasn't that rumor died by now?

Also the PVE mode in Destiny is a lot more varied than Halo's Campaigns, I'm guessing.

not a rumor

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Thursday, August 21, 2014, 06:42 (3547 days ago) @ RaichuKFM

How hasn't that rumor died by now?

Misconception.

Destiny didn't cost 500m to create- it's what Activision forecasts that will be invested in the franchise as a whole, not just the one game. They are looking at the cost of the supposed 10 year lifecycle this IP will have.

Priorities

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 20:15 (3547 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I said what I think about it here. I'll add that it's really disappointing. I don't know what else to say. I've been preparing myself for this to be the case for a few months; I think when E3 came and went and we heard nothing about custom games, the writing was on the wall.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread