Let the jerks talk to each other (please) (Destiny)

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Tuesday, August 19, 2014, 19:07 (3548 days ago)

I found the communication options in the beta to be very lacking. As it stands, you have to highlight someone and then invite them either to your fireteam, which can only be three to six people, or your party, for example your Xbox Live party, which has its own drawbacks. Highlighting people can be pretty difficult if they're moving, which could be a related or independent thing to fix or improve. Also in the beta you had to go to orbit to form a fireteam and then go to whatever you actually want to do but this is cumbersome to the point that I just assume they'll fix it.
I really, really want more options and abilities as far as talking to people. (It seriously boggles my mind how people are so OK with this, especially in a game like this.)
I've seen proposals for extending the emote system and doing things other games do, and they're impressive, but even if there were a lot more emotes, they could never be as intuitive and fast and functional as speech. I'm not asking for everyone to hear everyone around them all the time, just for the ability to hear people that are in your multiplayer team and your fireteam either automatically or with very minimal effort, and I would expect the ability both to mute people and to turn off voice chat altogether, so people who never want to take the chance someone will bother them don't have to, because this was present in Halo 3 and Reach. I'd like some kind of proximity chat too, at least some option of it.
I think allowing chat automatically with people in your friends list and in your clan would be great and maybe a nice middle-ground. I'd still like some ability to hear the general public at a whim, but allowing people to hear their friends and clan members, and maybe (hopefully) alliance members, would do a lot to help communication and sociability.
The realistic worst case scenario as I see it is that a lot of people get sick of hearing other people and have to look in the options for the option to turn off non-fireteam chat. Yes, there are sucky people out there-- why not let them talk to each other, and me if I so choose?
I realize the likelihood of this changing much, especially based on player feedback (as opposed to what they were going to do anyway), is low, but maybe it's something that can in effect be turned on and off, and it's something to consider for patches and updates or at least Destiny 2.

I wouldn't use it so nobody should have it™

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Tuesday, August 19, 2014, 21:49 (3548 days ago) @ General Vagueness

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread