DESTINY Font? (Destiny)

by PackLeader89, Durham, NC, Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 06:14 (3548 days ago)

So even though my wife is a graphic designer and an expert on fonts, she is swamped with work so I thought I would ask my beloved DBO community this.

What is the font for the DESTINY logo? I know that a lot of companies build their fonts from scratch so they are completely original. Even then, they tend to use an existing font as a base for their logo. Anyone have any ideas?

Also, has anyone seen or built a DESTINY font that can be downloaded to Word?

DESTINY Font?

by DaDerga, Baile Átha Cliath, Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 06:38 (3548 days ago) @ PackLeader89

What is the font for the DESTINY logo? I know that a lot of companies build their fonts from scratch so they are completely original. Even then, they tend to use an existing font as a base for their logo. Anyone have any ideas?

Also, has anyone seen or built a DESTINY font that can be downloaded to Word?

The Destiny typeface is Futura. The style guide for creating AW with it is here.

DESTINY Font?

by PackLeader89, Durham, NC, Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 06:43 (3548 days ago) @ DaDerga

You are awesome! I officially grant you 5,000 Brownie points you can redeem in 150 years when they turn into $1,000 (I think).

But seriously, thanks!

NP :)

by DaDerga, Baile Átha Cliath, Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 06:44 (3548 days ago) @ PackLeader89

- No text -

DESTINY Font?

by kapowaz, Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 06:49 (3548 days ago) @ DaDerga

The style guide for creating AW with it is here.

Aha! Finally I have a name to that antique-looking typeface they've used in teasers and things like the maps: Cromwell HPLHS!

[image]

When I asked designer friends if they could identify it, they couldn't, but suggested it was probably hand-traced from some old art, and whaddya know, it was.

DESTINY Font?

by DaDerga, Baile Átha Cliath, Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 07:04 (3548 days ago) @ kapowaz

Available here if you needed to grab it. Only useful as a display face tho', wouldn't recommend it for setting text.

DESTINY Font?

by PackLeader89, Durham, NC, Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 07:09 (3548 days ago) @ DaDerga

Yeah, I probably shouldn't write my grad school applications Personal Statements with this font.

Unless......nah.

Go For It!

by DaDerga, Baile Átha Cliath, Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 07:11 (3548 days ago) @ PackLeader89

- No text -

Go For It!

by PackLeader89, Durham, NC, Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 07:12 (3548 days ago) @ DaDerga

Any chance the Harvard and Georgetown admissions officers post in this forum? Maybe...maybe.

OM NOM NOM.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 08:21 (3548 days ago) @ kapowaz

The style guide for creating AW with it is here.

Aha! Finally I have a name to that antique-looking typeface they've used in teasers and things like the maps: Cromwell HPLHS!

[image]

When I asked designer friends if they could identify it, they couldn't, but suggested it was probably hand-traced from some old art, and whaddya know, it was.

These fonts. I. Oh. *Squee*. ._.

You just gave my inner graphic artist some crack. I hate you (You are awesome).
One of those.

Well there goes my day. I'm going to kern these fonts so hard! XD

+1

by PackLeader89, Durham, NC, Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 08:22 (3548 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Hahahahahaha.

OM NOM NOM.

by Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) ⌂ @, London, Ontario, Canada, Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 13:42 (3548 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

I have Futura (from a set of fonts I bought with, wait for it, WordPerfect back in '95) but alas no Cromwell. Anyone think Caslon Antique would make for a half-decent substitute?

[image]

-- Steve was glad to have that font in his Warhammer 40k day heydays.

OM NOM NOM.

by DaDerga, Baile Átha Cliath, Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 13:45 (3548 days ago) @ Anton P. Nym (aka Steve)

Cromwell available here, if you fancy grabbing it.

Thanx!

by Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) ⌂ @, London, Ontario, Canada, Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 13:47 (3548 days ago) @ DaDerga

- No text -

NP :)

by DaDerga, Baile Átha Cliath, Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 13:49 (3548 days ago) @ Anton P. Nym (aka Steve)

- No text -

Look what I came across just now!

by PackLeader89, Durham, NC, Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 07:25 (3548 days ago) @ DaDerga

Futura used in Apollo 11 Landing sign.

[image]

And also the font used by Bungie's Destiny. The main difference is the spacing between letters.

[image]

Futura and sci-fi…

by kapowaz, Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 07:56 (3548 days ago) @ PackLeader89
edited by kapowaz, Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 08:01

Futura used in Apollo 11 Landing sign.

Even before that, it was used extensively throughout 2001: A Space Oddysey (along with a bunch of other typefaces we've come to associate with sci-fi settings, such as Eurostile). In fact, I'd go so far as to say that 2001 set the standard for what should be considered a sci-fi typeface.

One thing I've been confused by is Bungie's decision to use Futura for the main Destiny logotype, but Helvetica (or apparently Neue Haas Grotesk?) for interface text. Helvetica dates back to the 50s, and is far less sci-fi — given how often they've used it in all-caps bold, it would have seemed more consistent to use Futura for consistency.

On top of all that, there's also another sans serif interface font used in the game:

[image]

I'm not sure what it is, but it looks like a Humanist of some sort — possibly Frutiger — but it's hard to tell at this size.

Edit: ugh, I think that typeface might actually be Droid Sans. I really hope not though…

Futura and sci-fi…

by PackLeader89, Durham, NC, Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 08:00 (3548 days ago) @ kapowaz

Well, it may have to do with just picking a font that is easy to read for common use. That is the reason why Helvetica-derived fonts are so popular--they are easy on the eyes and they are quick to capture and read.

Bungie doesn't expect us to read Futura and Cromwell all day. But they do want a smooth interface. I would settle on that.

Futura and sci-fi…

by kapowaz, Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 08:07 (3548 days ago) @ PackLeader89

Well, it may have to do with just picking a font that is easy to read for common use. That is the reason why Helvetica-derived fonts are so popular--they are easy on the eyes and they are quick to capture and read.

Bungie doesn't expect us to read Futura and Cromwell all day. But they do want a smooth interface. I would settle on that.

I'm sure they're trying to do that too, but that hasn't stopped them using interesting typefaces in the past: they've used Interstate, DIN, Trade Gothic and Handel Gothic throughout the Halo series, and they've all worked well to communicate style as well as being interesting, legible typefaces.

The problem I have with Helvetica in particular is that it's about as characterless a typeface as you can imagine. It doesn't look sci-fi any more (or less) than it looks like something from an instruction manual for a hi-fi, or the controls on a washing machine. Futura on the other hand…

Futura and sci-fi…

by PackLeader89, Durham, NC, Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 08:11 (3548 days ago) @ kapowaz

That's fair to say. Helvetica can be pretty characterless. However, to be honest, at no point in the Destiny Beta I had to "try harder" to read something on the screen. At times playing the HALOs, there were times when the screen contrast and design did make things hard to read at times. Maybe it has to do more with the color palette and less with the font selections. I don't know. I am personally okay with the font usage in the interface, as long as the "big" blown-up designs (like the logo) as special and unique.

That's all I got.

Futura and sci-fi…

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 09:15 (3548 days ago) @ PackLeader89

They do test this stuff pretty extensively. I remember someone from Bungie talking about it when they got complaints about onscreen fonts during the Reach beta.

I'm pretty font obsessed. I used to spend hours figuring out the font (and screenshots) for co-op night announcements. This is one of my favorites.

[image]

Futura and sci-fi…

by PackLeader89, Durham, NC, Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 09:17 (3548 days ago) @ Kermit

I most definitely appreciate the Co-op night banners! It seems like we have a small community of devoted font-aficionados here at DBO.

Futura and sci-fi…

by DaDerga, Baile Átha Cliath, Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 08:11 (3548 days ago) @ kapowaz

One thing I've been confused by is Bungie's decision to use Futura for the main Destiny logotype, but Helvetica (or apparently Neue Haas Grotesk?) for interface text. Helvetica dates back to the 50s, and is far less sci-fi — given how often they've used it in all-caps bold, it would have seemed more consistent to use Futura for consistency.

Helvetica in it's original incarnation was called Neue Haas Grotesk. See here. They probably dont want anything to compete with the wordmark element of the Destiny logo hence the restriction on it's use in accompanying text.

On top of all that, there's also another sans serif interface font used in the game:

[image]

I'm not sure what it is, but it looks like a Humanist of some sort — possibly Frutiger — but it's hard to tell at this size.

More than likely Open sans or Roboto, I'll have a check. There the faces that they use for the website so it would make sense to continue with their usage in the Destiny UI.

Futura and sci-fi…

by PackLeader89, Durham, NC, Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 08:15 (3548 days ago) @ DaDerga

And now that you bring it up, Bungie does state in their website that they DO NOT want the Futura design and font used on any body text. They specifically want it utilized only for the DESTINY main design.

Futura and sci-fi…

by kapowaz, Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 08:20 (3548 days ago) @ PackLeader89

And now that you bring it up, Bungie does state in their website that they DO NOT want the Futura design and font used on any body text. They specifically want it utilized only for the DESTINY main design.

That's the direction they've taken with it. I don't think Futura would have worked well as a body font, but for the kind of all-caps headline they've used Helvetica in, it would have probably gone nicely.

If...

by DaDerga, Baile Átha Cliath, Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 08:27 (3548 days ago) @ kapowaz

You wish to understand the possible multitude of reasons why Helvetica may have been chosen I suggest you watch this.

If...

by kapowaz, Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 08:32 (3548 days ago) @ DaDerga

You wish to understand the possible multitude of reasons why Helvetica may have been chosen I suggest you watch this.

Yeah… still never gotten around to watching that one yet! :) I saw Gary Hustwit's follow-up Objectified a couple of years later when it was shown at SXSW, also worth watching.

If...

by PackLeader89, Durham, NC, Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 08:34 (3548 days ago) @ DaDerga

Is this the same one as the one on NETFLIX?

My wife, the graphic designer in the family, made me watch with her. It made me really appreciate design, fonts, and all the work that goes behind.

My wife is awesome.

Why I hate Helvetica

by Mars ⌂, Portland, OR, Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 11:05 (3548 days ago) @ DaDerga
edited by Mars, Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 11:09

I'm not going to deny that Helvetica's a fantastic font with a very rich history, but in some cases it feels very over played, especially in this design era of minimalism. I really like Armin Vit's brief rant about Helvetica entitled "Why I hate Helvetica," but I'm not as strongly opinionated about it.

Why I hate Helvetica
As it concerns identity design we all recognize Helvetica as a bastion of the rise of the practice of corporate identity in the 1960s, deployed with unrelenting passion by the likes of Massimo Vignelli and Unimark in the U.S. and Total Design in Europe. It helped shed decorative logos and present a unified front for corporations of all sizes in the most serious of manners. It was, in a way, a unifying technology of the era, establishing a specific standard for how logos should look. And that’s my biggest issue with Helvetica: It’s 1960s technology, 1960s aesthetics, 1960s principles. You know what else is technology from the 1960s? Rotary-dial telephones. The BASIC computer language. Things we’ve built on for the past 50 years and stopped using as the new, more functional, more era-appropriate products took hold. Today there are dozens of contemporary sans serif typefaces that improve the performance and aesthetics of Helvetica but yet some designers still hold on to it as if it were the ultimate typeface. It’s not. Just because it’s been glorified in a similar way as the suits and clothing in Mad Men doesn’t mean it’s still the right choice. You don’t see people today dressed like Don Draper or Lane Pryce — the business-person equivalents of a business typeface — because fashion has changed, attitudes have changed, the world has changed. But, like cockroaches, Helvetica seems to be poised to survive time and space, no matter what. When you see someone walking down the street, today, dressed like a 1960s business person, you (or at least I) think “what a douche.” That’s the same thought I have when I see something/someone using Helvetica.

The main argument of using Helvetica is that it’s “neutral.” That is absolute bullshit. There is nothing neutral about Helvetica. Choosing Helvetica has as much meaning and carries as many connotations as choosing any other typeface. It has as many visual quirks as any other typeface it was meant to shun for needless decoration. Helvetica is the fixed-gear bike of typefaces: it’s as basic as it gets, but the statement it makes is as complex as anything else. Standing for independence and going against the grain, supposedly not caring about what others think or of being duped for the upgrades and improvements that “the man” forces upon us. Helvetica is old. Helvetica is clunky. No business, service, or product deserves Helvetica in the twenty-first century more than anyone deserves to sit in a dentist chair in the 1960s.

Am I wrong? Probably. Do you disagree? Probably. Do I care? No, as long as you don’t use Helvetica.

Why I hate Helvetica

by kapowaz, Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 11:18 (3548 days ago) @ Mars

I'm not going to deny that Helvetica's a fantastic font with a very rich history, but in some cases it feels very over played, especially in this design era of minimalism.

I am particularly unhappy that OS X Yosemite will be switching the system font to Helvetica Neue for similar reasons. I actually rather liked Lucida Grande!

Indeed

by DaDerga, Baile Átha Cliath, Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 11:29 (3548 days ago) @ kapowaz

I am particularly unhappy that OS X Yosemite will be switching the system font to Helvetica Neue for similar reasons. I actually rather liked Lucida Grande!

Yeah, I understand why they made that choice but I'm not sure how I'll get on with it.

Why I hate Helvetica

by DaDerga, Baile Átha Cliath, Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 11:23 (3548 days ago) @ Mars

Part of the reason why the film is so engaging, the difference in opinions. If you haven't seen the film, and you're that way inclined, give it a watch. It's very considered and informative.

Futura and sci-fi…

by DaDerga, Baile Átha Cliath, Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 08:18 (3548 days ago) @ kapowaz

Yup, it's Roboto.

Futura and sci-fi…

by kapowaz, Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 08:26 (3548 days ago) @ DaDerga

Yup, it's Roboto.

Nah, it definitely isn't. It's not Open Sans, either. Compare the shape of the lowercase g in Open Sans, and the lowercase e and s in Roboto:

[image]

Just as well, Roboto is a horrible font.

Futura and sci-fi…

by DaDerga, Baile Átha Cliath, Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 08:34 (3548 days ago) @ kapowaz
edited by DaDerga, Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 08:42

Nah, it's roboto, see the uppercase R (especially the leg) and compare, they must be still using the older version it just got an update.

Edit: last revision was in 2013.

Futura and sci-fi…

by kapowaz, Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 08:46 (3548 days ago) @ DaDerga

Nah, it's roboto, see the uppercase R (especially the leg) and compare, they must be still using the older version it just got an update.

The screenshot I made used Roboto 2.0. There are definitely similarities, but look closely at the lowercase s — the top and tail of it have horizontal cut-offs, whereas in the original in the screenshot they're vertical (more like Helvetica than a humanist sans serif, such as Open Sans):

[image]

Maybe somebody from Bungie can drop in and settle it for us :)

Futura and sci-fi…

by DaDerga, Baile Átha Cliath, Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 08:56 (3548 days ago) @ kapowaz

The screenshot I made used Roboto 2.0. There are definitely similarities, but look closely at the lowercase s — the top and tail of it have horizontal cut-offs, whereas in the original in the screenshot they're vertical (more like Helvetica than a humanist sans serif, such as Open Sans):

[image]

Maybe somebody from Bungie can drop in and settle it for us :)

I can see where you're coming from, I think it may arise from not having info on all the revisions they've made. If it isn't roboto then I'll have to dig further. The uppercase "R" is quite distinct and besides Helvetica I can't think of another font that has that. Should have pointed out that on Open Sans you're absolutely correct, I was just throwing that out because it's used on the website.

Futura and sci-fi…

by kapowaz, Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 09:09 (3548 days ago) @ DaDerga

Luckily I have some more interface screenshots that feature the same font (so we've got a bigger sample size) but it's clearly not Myriad or Frutiger, the two most obvious humanist sans serifs I would check first. Here's Roboto and Open Sans again; Open Sans clearly looks closer, but since the lowercase g doesn't match, it must be something else. Also you can see that the tail of the uppercase R is straight in both Roboto and Open Sans, but there's a curve at the join in the original image. And the lowercase c in Roboto is completely different…

[image]

This is going to drive me crazy.

Compare

by DaDerga, Baile Átha Cliath, Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 09:34 (3548 days ago) @ kapowaz

[image]
Helvetica — Top
Neue Haas — Bottom

Compare

by kapowaz, Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 10:09 (3548 days ago) @ DaDerga

[image]
Helvetica — Top
Neue Haas — Bottom

Ahh, I see what you're talking about — I actually was ignoring the main text used for the name of the weapon and its type; these are definitely some flavour of Helvetica. It's the text underneath (the ‘flavour’ text, if you will) that's set in the same UI font as the one you can see used in the instructions for returning to orbit.

Aha :)

by DaDerga, Baile Átha Cliath, Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 10:14 (3548 days ago) @ kapowaz

Crossed wires, that figures.

D'oh!

by DaDerga, Baile Átha Cliath, Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 09:07 (3548 days ago) @ kapowaz
edited by DaDerga, Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 09:11

[image]

Under our noses the whole time. Neue Haas Grotesk.

Edit: IMG.

D'oh!

by kapowaz, Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 09:10 (3548 days ago) @ DaDerga

Under our noses the whole time. Neue Haas Grotesk.

Pretty sure it isn't… that's far closer to Helvetica, and loads of the letterforms are very different from Neue Haas Grotesk. If it was that, then I think it'd be harder to tell that it wasn't Helvetica in the first place.

Futura and sci-fi…

by Mars ⌂, Portland, OR, Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 09:19 (3548 days ago) @ kapowaz

I've gotta say, the UI Team's choices of typefaces has really confused me a bit. They're doing a great job with Neue Haas Grotesk, but Helvetica-esque fonts are pretty boring. I did see Revui's video on the UI design and I understood his reasoning for using such a legible font, but I was conflicted with their choice. It's better than a lot of terrible typefaces, but it's pretty boring and isn't used in an amazing way. But maybe that's the benefit of using that!

It's also pretty confusing when they pair multiple sans-serif typefaces that are so similar. It gets kinda confusing and differences in type hierarchy become less obvious especially when it comes to pairing Neue Haas and Open Sans (or whatever it is). I don't think a serif font would have been smart, but I'd love to see David Candland talk about his team's decisions either in a podcast or a GDC like video!

Futura and sci-fi…

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 09:37 (3548 days ago) @ Mars

I've gotta say, the UI Team's choices of typefaces has really confused me a bit. They're doing a great job with Neue Haas Grotesk, but Helvetica-esque fonts are pretty boring. I did see Revui's video on the UI design and I understood his reasoning for using such a legible font, but I was conflicted with their choice. It's better than a lot of terrible typefaces, but it's pretty boring and isn't used in an amazing way. But maybe that's the benefit of using that!

Yeah, I imagine it's pretty difficult to thread the needle between interesting and readable during a firefight.

Futura and sci-fi…

by kapowaz, Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 09:44 (3548 days ago) @ Kermit

Yeah, I imagine it's pretty difficult to thread the needle between interesting and readable during a firefight.

I dunno… you make it sound like the only solution to ensuring good readability is to throw your hands up and run home to momma, but there's a whole profession surrounding this stuff, though. Bungie have done pretty well with this overall, I'd say (particularly when you look at all the companies that still think it's acceptable to use Arial as a UI font), but that's part of why people hold Bungie to such a high standard: they're usually pretty good at this stuff.

Futura and sci-fi…

by PackLeader89, Durham, NC, Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 09:49 (3548 days ago) @ kapowaz

I think that the average gamer, to which I feel pretty close to, will prefer the clarity and cleanliness of a Helvetica font to the alternative which could, to some people, get in the way of gameplay.

I understand the passion behind creative fonts. I do. I am married to a designer. But the average person wants something that is legible and clean, and that's enough to be satisfied with a product.

Futura and sci-fi…

by PackLeader89, Durham, NC, Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 09:51 (3548 days ago) @ kapowaz

Often effectiveness and efficiency trumps creativity, especially if it is purely for aesthetic purposes.

Futura and sci-fi…

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 09:51 (3548 days ago) @ kapowaz

I dunno… you make it sound like the only solution to ensuring good readability is to throw your hands up and run home to momma, but there's a whole profession surrounding this stuff, though.

I do? I'm afraid I've been misunderstood. I've been pretty fascinated with typography since long before there was a wikipedia.

Futura and sci-fi…

by kapowaz, Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 10:06 (3548 days ago) @ Kermit

I do? I'm afraid I've been misunderstood. I've been pretty fascinated with typography since long before there was a wikipedia.

I'm guessing I have misunderstood you, then. But regarding:

I'd argue that it's not difficult to find a good typeface that's both interesting and readable; there are loads of choices (arguably too many), to cover a whole spectrum of aesthetics and vibes.

But there's one potential requirement not discussed in this thread yet: internationalisation. When you're trying to deliver a product in as many languages as possible, you're going to hit up against this problem. One thing that Helvetica (and a lot of its ilk) has going for it is the availability of all the necessary glyphs to represent foreign languages, so I have to imagine this was a factor in the decision.

Futura and sci-fi…

by kapowaz, Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 09:38 (3548 days ago) @ Mars

I'd love to see David Candland talk about his team's decisions either in a podcast or a GDC like video!

I actually asked David Candland on twitter about this a while back:

@drcandland the more I see Helvetica used in Destiny press materials & UI the more jarring it seems. Why not Futura like the logo?

He replied:

@kapowaz we're going for a clean Swiss aesthetic.

Cool!

by DaDerga, Baile Átha Cliath, Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 09:39 (3548 days ago) @ kapowaz

- No text -

Futura and sci-fi…

by PackLeader89, Durham, NC, Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 09:40 (3548 days ago) @ kapowaz

I think that says it all. They are going for a clean look that everyone understand. Even if at times it is "boring," it is clean-cut.

As a military man who enjoy orders and clarity, I appreciate the "Swiss aesthetic" look.

Those pairings, doe...

by Mars ⌂, Portland, OR, Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 10:53 (3548 days ago) @ kapowaz
edited by Mars, Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 11:01

That's very interesting, but I'm still curious as to why they used such similar typefaces together instead of just using Neue Haas for everything. Maybe it didn't really work well at smaller sizes. I'm not advocating using some crazy grudge typeface, but I would have loved to see their exploration of typestyles.

I agree with everyone's assessment about the UI not wanting to be too "overly designed". And having a font with good international styles is a really good point too.

Also, I think Bungie did a fantastic job with the UI. I just think these are interesting conversations to have.

Destiny Fonts

by Evil Otto, Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 13:34 (3548 days ago) @ kapowaz

Hey all, time to chime in.

Yes, we used Neue Haas as our primary font. We wanted to veer far from digital/techy and go for a clean look.

Unfortunately, we had some issues with fidelity rendering it at small, subpixel alignments; particularly the italicized version. For the small body and italics caption font, I went with Epoca Pro. That one was authored and hinted specifically for screen display so it worked much nicer at small sizes. The fact that it is narrower and gothic helps separate it from Neue Haas, though, I wish it was just a tad more condensed, as it can feel a bit too similar at times.

Like we see throughout the game, there's an accent of fantasy here and there. In the UI, we were inspired by the map from Time Bandits to create the look of the navigator map used in the Director. In that, we accented with Cromwell, as you guys have astutely noticed.

Overall i'm impressed with your detective work. :)

Destiny Fonts

by DaDerga, Baile Átha Cliath, Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 13:40 (3548 days ago) @ Evil Otto

Thanks a million for for the comprehensive answer, it's greatly appreciated.

Destiny Fonts

by PackLeader89, Durham, NC, Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 13:41 (3548 days ago) @ Evil Otto

Boom!

Destiny Fonts

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 14:01 (3548 days ago) @ Evil Otto

Like we see throughout the game, there's an accent of fantasy here and there. In the UI, we were inspired by the map from Time Bandits to create the look of the navigator map used in the Director.

[image]

(Oddly, the executive producer of Time Bandits is not pictured.)

Epoca Pro

by DaDerga, Baile Átha Cliath, Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 14:08 (3548 days ago) @ Evil Otto

[image]

Destiny Fonts

by kapowaz, Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 15:11 (3548 days ago) @ Evil Otto

Unfortunately, we had some issues with fidelity rendering it at small, subpixel alignments; particularly the italicized version. For the small body and italics caption font, I went with Epoca Pro. That one was authored and hinted specifically for screen display so it worked much nicer at small sizes. The fact that it is narrower and gothic helps separate it from Neue Haas, though, I wish it was just a tad more condensed, as it can feel a bit too similar at times.

Hooray, an answer! Thanks :)

I wasn't familiar with this one previously but now that I see it in higher resolution I can see why DaDerga thought it might have been Roboto — it has slightly more ‘squashed’ letterforms, a bit closer to a DIN than something like Frutiger, Myriad or Open Sans. Interesting to hear the thought process behind that — it's not so long ago that videogame typography was effectively a bunch of bitmaps being rendered from sprites, and now we see you're actually giving consideration to subpixel hinting.

Like we see throughout the game, there's an accent of fantasy here and there. In the UI, we were inspired by the map from Time Bandits to create the look of the navigator map used in the Director. In that, we accented with Cromwell, as you guys have astutely noticed.

Ah, this one I'd never have guessed myself — it's on your resources page :) But it's interesting to hear it's inspired by the map from Time Bandits; I can immediately see the similarities between it and the ‘antique star map’ included with the collector's edition:

[image]

[image]

Destiny Fonts

by DaDerga, Baile Átha Cliath, Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 17:43 (3548 days ago) @ kapowaz

I hadn't come across Epoca Pro before and it was the uppercase "R", among others, that was steering me (incorrectly) towards Roboto. It was an assumption based off the use of said face on Bnet, too hasty in retrospect but along the right lines in terms of it's utility. You live and learn. Great discussion all the same, it's what drew me here in the first place. Many thanks.

This thread.

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 08:12 (3548 days ago) @ PackLeader89

This is why I love BOrg. Such a diverse and profound skill-set in the member-base.

PS: Yes, I'm calling y'all a bunch of weirdos. But in the best possible way. ;p

+1

by PackLeader89, Durham, NC, Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 08:16 (3548 days ago) @ ZackDark

- No text -

DESTINY Font?

by PackLeader89, Durham, NC, Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 09:25 (3548 days ago) @ PackLeader89

I think this thread just took a turn for the crazy. Sigh...

It's All Good :)

by DaDerga, Baile Átha Cliath, Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 09:37 (3548 days ago) @ PackLeader89

- No text -

Who knew how many typography nerds hung out here?

by kapowaz, Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 12:24 (3548 days ago) @ PackLeader89

- No text -

by DaDerga, Baile Átha Cliath, Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 12:41 (3548 days ago) @ kapowaz

[image]

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 12:56 (3548 days ago) @ kapowaz

There's a strong Macintosh legacy among a lot of Bungie fans, for one thing. I'm not saying that explains the interest of most who expressed themselves in this thread, but my interest really began about 30 years ago when I got my first Mac.

by PackLeader89, Durham, NC, Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 13:51 (3548 days ago) @ Kermit

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Thursday, August 21, 2014, 06:09 (3547 days ago) @ Kermit

There's a strong Macintosh legacy among a lot of Bungie fans, for one thing. I'm not saying that explains the interest of most who expressed themselves in this thread, but my interest really began about 30 years ago when I got my first Mac.

Mine, too!

That and having a grandfather who operated his own movable type Heidelberg press out of his garage.

Incidentally, Futura has always been one of my favorite fonts. I used it for headlines at my undergraduate paper when we did a redesign following our first foray into desktop publishing, and for subheds at the first job I had as a paginator coming out of grad school.

by DaDerga, Baile Átha Cliath, Thursday, August 21, 2014, 06:40 (3547 days ago) @ narcogen

That and having a grandfather who operated his own movable type Heidelberg press out of his garage.

You lucky, lucky bastard! :)

by kapowaz, Thursday, August 21, 2014, 06:46 (3547 days ago) @ DaDerga

You lucky, lucky bastard! :)

I suspect you'd enjoy Linotype: The Film; I have a movie poster (letterpressed with a Linotype!) signed by the director hanging in my study :)

by DaDerga, Baile Átha Cliath, Thursday, August 21, 2014, 07:20 (3547 days ago) @ kapowaz

I suspect you'd enjoy Linotype: The Film; I have a movie poster (letterpressed with a Linotype!) signed by the director hanging in my study :)

Now I have to repeat myself. You lucky, lucky bastard! ;) I must get around to watching that movie at some point. Longfingered.

Welcome to the DBO Experience!

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 13:16 (3548 days ago) @ PackLeader89

I love it here :D

Welcome to the DBO Experience!

by PackLeader89, Durham, NC, Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 13:52 (3548 days ago) @ ZackDark

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread