Different characters for each class? (Destiny)

by bluerunner @, Music City, Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 15:09 (3548 days ago)

I was just thinking about a problem I had during the beta, and a solution I might try. I had a little more time due to early access, and during that time I got attached to the first character I created, which was a human hunter.

After playing for a few days, I created an exo titan and awoken warlock to try out. As I played as those characters, I couldn't shake the feeling that these weren't "me". Even though I liked aspects of the other classes, it felt like I was trapped in a stranger's body. Did anyone else have this feeling?

I want to play primarily as a hunter because I like the aspects of that class the best, but I also want to create a titan to mix things up and use if needed for specific roles in raids. I was thinking about my "stranger" dilemma in the beta, then an idea hit me: why not make that titan the same character? By that I mean why not make my titan look exactly like my hunter. The in-story logic would be that my guy heads back to the Tower and suits up in titan armor for certain missions. That way I always feel like I'm playing as the same character no matter what class I am.

Anyway, maybe that's weird, but I was wondering if anyone else thinking of doing this.

That's kind of genius. +1

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 15:45 (3548 days ago) @ bluerunner

- No text -

Different characters for each class?

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 16:26 (3548 days ago) @ bluerunner

I was just thinking about a problem I had during the beta, and a solution I might try. I had a little more time due to early access, and during that time I got attached to the first character I created, which was a human hunter.

After playing for a few days, I created an exo titan and awoken warlock to try out. As I played as those characters, I couldn't shake the feeling that these weren't "me". Even though I liked aspects of the other classes, it felt like I was trapped in a stranger's body. Did anyone else have this feeling?

I want to play primarily as a hunter because I like the aspects of that class the best, but I also want to create a titan to mix things up and use if needed for specific roles in raids. I was thinking about my "stranger" dilemma in the beta, then an idea hit me: why not make that titan the same character? By that I mean why not make my titan look exactly like my hunter. The in-story logic would be that my guy heads back to the Tower and suits up in titan armor for certain missions. That way I always feel like I'm playing as the same character no matter what class I am.

Anyway, maybe that's weird, but I was wondering if anyone else thinking of doing this.

Meet my Guardian family. The father is a warlock Awoken. White hair, closely cropped. His history goes back long before the Golden Age, but it's revealed to him only in dreams, which recur, vividly. His wife is a human hunter, also with white hair, cut in an angled bob, and her beauty attracts stares in the tower. She is better with a knife than a gun, and prefers the visceral victory that close combat provides. Their daughter titan exo is adopted, but loved as if she were their own blood. Her warpaint is mere window-dressing at this point--she is relatively inexperienced in battle, but she is fearless as only the young can be. She feels she has nothing to lose. Her parents know better.

I like this ^

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 20:21 (3548 days ago) @ Kermit

I had the same issue as bluerunner. I *wanted* to like my Warlock, but it felt like a stranger. My slamjam was my true character, and I just couldn't get into the other class/race.

Maybe if I adopt Kermit's family idea (:D), then having multiple characters will feel a little more natural..

I like this ^

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, August 21, 2014, 12:37 (3547 days ago) @ JDQuackers

I had the same issue as bluerunner. I *wanted* to like my Warlock, but it felt like a stranger. My slamjam was my true character, and I just couldn't get into the other class/race.

Maybe if I adopt Kermit's family idea (:D), then having multiple characters will feel a little more natural..

For better or for worse, the Guardian Code prohibits members of the same family from being on the same fireteam, so sightings of my family together will be extremely rare, and will probably require some space magic. If there's any doubt, the father is "me."

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 17:05 (3548 days ago) @ bluerunner
edited by INSANEdrive, Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 17:42

I wanted to play the other characters - but I found them... for lack of a better word... stale. After the Alpha I made my solution. During the Beta I finalized it. First I chose who I am... well no... it chose me. From those existing variables I took what was left and created characters with a story. Characters I found interesting or found perplexing. These have two purposes.

Part of why I love these games with this kind of game play is that it sort of allows exploration in all sorts of concepts. So from what I have, I crate a story and from that I explore the person. It's not so much me playing as it is watching myself say what if with this characters scenarios.

I am already vaguely aware of what factions they would choose, and the unknown (to them) life experiences they had that built them into who they are. This in turn dictates what their skills will be, and how they will wield them. So forth.

...as for the second?

Well I can't give everything away. ;)

19 Days.

by ZaneZavin @, Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 18:39 (3548 days ago) @ bluerunner

Interesting, it seems we had the exact same race/class selections in beta. I'm probably going to do the same thing again. I'm just hoping there are a few more face selections this time around.

Fascinating. I like it.

by GrimBrotherIII, Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 20:37 (3548 days ago) @ bluerunner

- No text -

by Jester GS, Earth, Thursday, August 21, 2014, 11:52 (3547 days ago) @ bluerunner

I'm with you. I created a human hunter and loved playing as "me." I wanted to try out the warlock class too, so I made an awoken. I never felt right playing as him and often wanted to get back to my hunter. You're not weird at all, but right at home with lots of us, bluerunner.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Thursday, August 21, 2014, 14:02 (3547 days ago) @ bluerunner

Sounds like a good solution for something I've experienced in Mass Effect. Playing ME3 without my original character is nigh impossible, and absolutely no fun at all.

For me, I like the idea of eventually settling on one class and forgoing all others. The "loss," if you will, feels like my choice is then more meaningful.

Not me.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, August 21, 2014, 14:40 (3547 days ago) @ bluerunner

I've got three separate characters with their own backstories. They can alter which type of Light they channel I suppose but they are always themselves.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread