Hunter's Gunslinger Super in PVE (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 17:42 (3548 days ago)

Everybody seems to be saying that the Hunter's Golden Gun will be bad for PVE because it can't crowd control waves of enemies.

Have you all no imagination?!

Keyhole + Combustion = Looks like mad crowd control.

To those who don't know

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 18:05 (3548 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Everybody seems to be saying that the Hunter's Golden Gun will be bad for PVE because it can't crowd control waves of enemies.

[image]

To those who don't know

by Avateur @, Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 19:13 (3548 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

lol wow, that so does not belong in multiplayer. :P

To those who don't know

by General Battuta, Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 19:50 (3548 days ago) @ Avateur

I've never seen it used super effectively in Crucible play. (I could turn out to be totally wrong.)

To those who don't know

by General Battuta, Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 21:30 (3548 days ago) @ General Battuta

I've never seen it used super effectively in Crucible play. (I could turn out to be totally wrong.)

er, by which I mean the Keyhole/Combustion combination, not Golden Gun!

To those who don't know

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Friday, August 22, 2014, 15:00 (3546 days ago) @ General Battuta

You'd have to be pretty tightly grouped up to be wrecked by the explosion, which is true of the other supers as well. And you'd have to be perfectly lined up for the over-penetration, which was also true in Halo.

To those who don't know

by Avateur @, Friday, August 22, 2014, 16:19 (3546 days ago) @ stabbim

We've seen what a Titan can do on Venus if a team is grouped up in Control. I'm now picturing the Hunter walking up, having his amazing cross-map distance that was on display in some vids from the Beta, and firing off the shots. All of a sudden instead of having to sprint in there and get the thing off before they see you, you have them dead to rights without being contested. I hope he's right and that this doesn't become a thing. I already think that the Golden Gun is incredibly broken and obnoxious just from the Beta. lol

To those who don't know

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, August 22, 2014, 17:00 (3546 days ago) @ Avateur

I'd suggest to teams that grouping everyone on a control point is playing Destiny badly. Don't play Destiny badly. :)

To those who don't know

by Avateur @, Friday, August 22, 2014, 17:47 (3546 days ago) @ Ragashingo

You capture the point faster that way. Higher chance of success vs. just you being there and getting destroyed, giving them that continued map control. Bigger picture. Don't lose B and C so that you can keep trashing them when they come from A!

To those who don't know

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, August 22, 2014, 18:03 (3546 days ago) @ Avateur

True. It's an interesting ever changing balance like a lot of things in Destiny are. If you've got several people do you all stand in the circle and wait for a Nova Bomb or do some of you guard from a distance? Staying in the circle gets you that point faster, gives your team a few extra points (10 per person? I may be horribly misremembering...) and gets you your Super back a bit faster... or it gets you all killed.

I usually preferred to stand at a distance and guard. To me, keeping the enemy away was more important than the bonuses most times.

Hunter's Gunslinger Super in PVE

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 18:57 (3548 days ago) @ Cody Miller

While that is an obvious solution, I don't see the lack of crowd control super for the Hunter (who DOES have the Bladedancer's Arc Blade which is crowd-control, imo) as, inherently, a problem. Given how the Hunter is balanced, I've come to expect hit-and-run and/or sniping tactics from them, so they'd never really be close enough for long enough to a crowd to even need crowd-control.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 19:38 (3548 days ago) @ ZackDark

While that is an obvious solution, I don't see the lack of crowd control super for the Hunter (who DOES have the Bladedancer's Arc Blade which is crowd-control, imo) as, inherently, a problem. Given how the Hunter is balanced, I've come to expect hit-and-run and/or sniping tactics from them, so they'd never really be close enough for long enough to a crowd to even need crowd-control.

Would have helped when all those Hive were pouring out of that door during the moon mission…

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 19:52 (3548 days ago) @ ZackDark

I liked the change of pace the Hunter's Golden Gun brought. As a Titan, sure, I could Fist of Havoc the heck out of people spilling out of a doorway, but I couldn't do much against snipers up in the rafters across the way. I think gunslinging Hunters, even without those upgrades, have a very important role. Long range, instantaneous enemy removal! :)

Exactly

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 19:56 (3548 days ago) @ Ragashingo

You also get the (brief) control of timing.

Both Nova Bomb and Fist of Havok leave you completely defenseless while they "charge up" and are used up immediately after that. The Golden Gun gets you defenseless for the "charge up" as well, but you get to choose when the (instantaneous, mind you) super is dished out, within a non-trivial time-frame.

by Mattchoo, Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 19:40 (3548 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by Mattchoo, Wednesday, August 20, 2014, 19:53

EXACTLY

This is totally how I plan to spec my PVE Gunslinger build.

Was combustion usable in beta? Also, I think we saw it in action against cabal on Mars on the sand

Official Gameplay Experience trailer. 3:13 - 3:20

Doesnt it look like the hunter shoots once and blows up cabal who hurts cabal in back? He goes to fire again at like 3:18 but the second cabal already looks toast. Maybe im just seeing things

You're right

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Thursday, August 21, 2014, 02:22 (3548 days ago) @ Mattchoo

link to moment

With audio, you can hear each shot of the golden gun and notice that the second cabal blows up between the first and second shot.

Nice catch!

Hunter's Gunslinger Super in PVE. GIF

by DaDerga, Baile Átha Cliath, Thursday, August 21, 2014, 03:14 (3548 days ago) @ Mattchoo

[image]

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread