Vex spex (Destiny)

by petetheduck, Thursday, August 21, 2014, 13:52 (3547 days ago)

Some Vex speculation here.

There's something strangely religious about the Vex; their sacrifices on Venus, their Burning Shrine on Mercury. We also know they traveled back in time.

I have this theory about Destiny's story that the ultimate ending will involve the loss of the Traveler, in some form or another, and in that Humanity, will have gained the strength to stand on it's own/seek it's own destiny/yada. That Humans will look up from the Last Safe City and instead of seeing the Traveler loom above them, they will see the stars.

What if the Vex, like the Fallen, are seeking the Traveler. But unlike the Fallen that we speculate were left behind and have been following it in real time, the Vex only know of it from the past.. they found out about it somehow, in relics or archives. So they traveled into the past to find it. To our time, to prevent the Traveler from being lost (quite possibly, to directly prevent US from doing something that causes the Traveler to be lost).

What if they're coming back in time to prevent our victory? :D

Vex spex

by roland ⌂ @, Thursday, August 21, 2014, 14:02 (3547 days ago) @ petetheduck

There's something strangely religious about the Vex; their sacrifices on Venus, their Burning Shrine on Mercury. We also know they traveled back in time.

I have this theory about Destiny's story that the ultimate ending will involve the loss of the Traveler, in some form or another, and in that Humanity, will have gained the strength to stand on it's own/seek it's own destiny/yada. That Humans will look up from the Last Safe City and instead of seeing the Traveler loom above them, they will see the stars.

What if the Vex, like the Fallen, are seeking the Traveler. But unlike the Fallen that we speculate were left behind and have been following it in real time, the Vex only know of it from the past.. they found out about it somehow, in relics or archives. So they traveled into the past to find it. To our time, to prevent the Traveler from being lost (quite possibly, to directly prevent US from doing something that causes the Traveler to be lost).

I like the parity of having a machine race that is also spiritual... very BSG :)

Perhaps the Vex are warping space-time, and not just time? If they are from a VERY long way away, they might have left their home-world as soon as they saw a few reflected photons with something interesting in them coming from our solar system.

A bit of an aside, but has there been any speculation on the parallels between the Traveler and the Leveler (from Myth)? There's a lot of overlap...

"In the world of Myth, the forces of Light and Dark rule the world successively in thousand-year cycles which has repeated since before recorded history. Every cycle climaxes with the arrival of "The Leveler", whose approach (and fall) is heralded by an ominous comet that appears in the sky. The Leveler inhabits the body of the hero who defeated him in the previous cycle — thus the hero who saves civilization is doomed to destroy it."

Vex spex

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, August 21, 2014, 14:17 (3547 days ago) @ petetheduck

I have this theory about Destiny's story that the ultimate ending will involve the loss of the Traveler, in some form or another, and in that Humanity, will have gained the strength to stand on it's own/seek it's own destiny/yada.

Heh. That is literally what happens at the end of Diablo 2 with the destruction of the WorldStone. I'd hope Bungie didn't copy the ending in addition to the random loot :-p

Vex spex

by petetheduck, Thursday, August 21, 2014, 16:48 (3547 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I have this theory about Destiny's story that the ultimate ending will involve the loss of the Traveler, in some form or another, and in that Humanity, will have gained the strength to stand on it's own/seek it's own destiny/yada.

Heh. That is literally what happens at the end of Diablo 2 with the destruction of the WorldStone. I'd hope Bungie didn't copy the ending in addition to the random loot :-p

I'll have to look into that, never played Diablo 2--but I really can't see how else the story can end. The Traveler is a prison as much as a haven, humanity defeating the Darkness but still cowering doesn't seem to make sense.

Vex spex

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, August 21, 2014, 16:52 (3547 days ago) @ petetheduck

10 year plan. Is Destiny really going to even end? I figure we'll have set something in motion by the end of the story and The Darkness will be coming ever closer... but you can't Alderaan Earth or The Traveler as it'd break thing for new players...

Vex spex

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Friday, August 22, 2014, 11:15 (3546 days ago) @ petetheduck

I'll have to look into that, never played Diablo 2--but I really can't see how else the story can end.

The story can end in literally any way (especially if you involve time travel as you suggest).

The Traveler is a prison as much as a haven, humanity defeating the Darkness but still cowering doesn't seem to make sense.

So, they wouldn't...? Humanity is trying to reclaim its former realm and gearing up to defeat its enemies and its big main enemy. We'll probably win and re-expand; maybe we'll just drive off our enemies and they'll come back later. That's assuming there is a proper end, it is an MMO after all.

Vex spex

by Durandal, Thursday, August 21, 2014, 16:54 (3547 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Myth predated Diablo 2 by a fair amount, but the idea was kicked around by Bungie back when they were working on Marathon.

Vex spex

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Friday, August 22, 2014, 11:03 (3546 days ago) @ petetheduck
edited by General Vagueness, Friday, August 22, 2014, 11:08

Where was that confirmed? I don't think they've said anything about time travel since spring other than saying they seem like they're from another place and time. (Yes, this is largely wishful thinking on my part because I don't want it involved, but it's because time travel has a tendency to ruin plot-lines and make everything in a story not matter. Even basing the story around time travel isn't a guarantee things will turn out fine, Back to the Future II proves that.)

The last part has been speculated a bunch before, and I'm pretty sure there's been speculation about going back in time to get to the Traveler, but I don't think I've seen them connected before.

Vex spex

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, August 22, 2014, 11:30 (3546 days ago) @ General Vagueness
edited by Ragashingo, Friday, August 22, 2014, 11:34

Where was that confirmed? I don't think they've said anything about time travel since spring other than saying they seem like they're from another place and time. (Yes, this is largely wishful thinking on my part because I don't want it involved, but it's because time travel has a tendency to ruin plot-lines and make everything in a story not matter. Even basing the story around time travel isn't a guarantee things will turn out fine, Back to the Future II proves that.)

Yes. Chris Barrett said this about them last December:

They’re creating armies. They’re creating these big warp gates around the solar system. They can potentially bring in armies from elsewhere. They might time travel or come from another distant time. Where they came from or when they came from is inscrutable. They’re not shiny, brand new, right off of the assembly line. They’re made of almost something that feels like hammered brass or something that could be thousands of years old. But that mixed with the robotic design of them gives you that [feel] of ancient robots.

More recently there was this bit of promotion about the Vex having Pocket Worlds beyond space and time.

You might not like it, but questions surrounding when they come from is part of their story.

Vex spex

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Friday, August 22, 2014, 12:43 (3546 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Yes. Chris Barrett said this about them last December:

They’re creating armies. They’re creating these big warp gates around the solar system. They can potentially bring in armies from elsewhere. They might time travel or come from another distant time. Where they came from or when they came from is inscrutable. They’re not shiny, brand new, right off of the assembly line. They’re made of almost something that feels like hammered brass or something that could be thousands of years old. But that mixed with the robotic design of them gives you that [feel] of ancient robots.

So, no? That's exactly what I'm talking about, he said they might time travel, or come from a distant time. He talks about them feeling ancient, which implies the distant time is in the past and they've just continued to exist up to the present day. I mean, if they time traveled from the past, they shouldn't feel so ancient, should they? They would've just got here.

More recently there was this bit of promotion about the Vex having Pocket Worlds beyond space and time.

That's interesting, but without more information it's just sci-fi fluff.

You might not like it, but questions surrounding when they come from is part of their story.

Questions are fine, they're good, and questions about the origin of the Vex are good, and questions about when they're from and even whether they time traveled are probably good, I just hope the answer is that they didn't time travel, because it throws the significance of literally everything into question and makes you wonder if there's a point to anything.
It can be used well. Outside of the paradox in the second movie and the things that depend on it, the Back to the Future movies used it well, what I've seen of Futurama used it well, and there was a short story right here on the forum about a year ago that I thought used it well called Recursive Action. It's just that time travel makes it hard to maintain meaning and drama and avoid contradictions and just keep things going like they were-- the Terminator movies are probably a good example there.

Vex spex

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, August 22, 2014, 12:53 (3546 days ago) @ General Vagueness

There are a lot of articles that label them as "time traveling robots" and even in the original GDC talk they describe them as time traveling robots if I recall correctly. I think they are talking about them now as uncertain because technically we have no way of communicating with them, so in game we don't actually know they come from the future.

Vex spex

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, August 22, 2014, 13:15 (3546 days ago) @ General Vagueness

So, no? That's exactly what I'm talking about, he said they might time travel, or come from a distant time. He talks about them feeling ancient, which implies the distant time is in the past and they've just continued to exist up to the present day. I mean, if they time traveled from the past, they shouldn't feel so ancient, should they? They would've just got here.

You're being ridiculous. There's several ways they can time travel and look old. Off the top of my head:

- Vex built in distant past. Vex get old in distant past. Then Vex time travel to their future (our present) and look old to us.
- Vex built in distant future. Vex get old in distant future. Then Vex time travel to their past (our present) and look old to us.
- Vex built whenever and time travel to our present but the act of time traveling itself ages them so they look old to us.

Furthermore, Bungie knows if they time traveled. They certainly knew by the end of last year if the Vex time traveled. That Chris Barrett brought time travel up at all, unprompted, tells us a lot and tells us time travel has at least something to do with the Vex. Ignoring it is foolish.

Again, wrong. It is more evidence in favor of time travel. Exactly what the Vex do we don't know, but throwing it out because we don't yet know everything is not how this works. We gather evidence and make theories that best fit that evidence. We do not gather evidence, throw out evidence we don't like, then make a theory, which is what you seem to be doing.

It's just that time travel makes it hard to maintain meaning and drama and avoid contradictions

Yes, time travel in a universe is tricky. But as you said it can be done well. And just because it often isn't don't mean you get to throw out evidence as "fluff" just because you don't like the idea.

Vex spex

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Friday, August 22, 2014, 23:23 (3546 days ago) @ Ragashingo

You're being ridiculous. There's several ways they can time travel and look old.

You're being ridiculous, because I never said they couldn't. I said it implies they've been around the whole time.

Off the top of my head:

- Vex built in distant past. Vex get old in distant past. Then Vex time travel to their future (our present) and look old to us.
- Vex built in distant future. Vex get old in distant future. Then Vex time travel to their past (our present) and look old to us.
- Vex built whenever and time travel to our present but the act of time traveling itself ages them so they look old to us.

Yes, and going by Occam's razor the more likely explanation is that they're just old. (I realize of course that this is not just fiction but sci-fantasy, and the simplest explanation is often boring; that doesn't take away from the logical grounds of it.)
Anyway, I think he was talking more about their aesthetics, the hammered brass look and whatever else-- hammered brass says ancient Greek/Roman era (I think), in human terms.

Furthermore, Bungie knows if they time traveled. They certainly knew by the end of last year if the Vex time traveled. That Chris Barrett brought time travel up at all, unprompted, tells us a lot and tells us time travel has at least something to do with the Vex. Ignoring it is foolish.

I'm not ignoring it, if I was ignoring it I would have at least not addressed it and probably stopped posting.
They do know the Vex's origin, but that doesn't mean they're telling us, and it doesn't mean they're telling us directly and without wavering-- and they shouldn't tell us directly, don't you think that's kind of a spoiler?

Again, wrong. It is more evidence in favor of time travel.

Being "beyond space and time" is so vague and cliché as to be almost meaningless, all it really says is "hey whoo sci-fi look sci-fi", and for that matter "pocket worlds" isn't a lot better.

Exactly what the Vex do we don't know, but throwing it out because we don't yet know everything is not how this works. We gather evidence and make theories that best fit that evidence. We do not gather evidence, throw out evidence we don't like, then make a theory, which is what you seem to be doing.

I said in the beginning this is largely wishful thinking (which has now increased, having realized that telling us that and having it be true would be a spoiler to some degree). I think I'm well within reason to say what I said, though. I think the things I pointed out do indicate reasonable doubt of the hard factuality of the Vex time-traveling.
And hey, this is all rampant speculation anyway, this is supposed to be fun. Maybe I came off too serious, I'm sorry if I did.

It's just that time travel makes it hard to maintain meaning and drama and avoid contradictions

Yes, time travel in a universe is tricky. But as you said it can be done well. And just because it often isn't don't mean you get to throw out evidence as "fluff" just because you don't like the idea.

I said that about one thing, not all of this evidence. If I remember correctly, that was flavor text for a weapon or a pre-order bonus, not something that was really "about" the Vex. That and what I noted above lead me to call it fluff. I will say I'm not 100% positive on the origin though and regardless of that we could end up finding it in information tied to the Vex more closely, and it could end up being important... it's just that it's still vague and cliché and feels like fluff.
I'll also note that everything I pointed out is a work of comedy. Not making sense and having certain problems of plot and logic can work in your favor if you're making a comedy.

Vex spex

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Sunday, August 24, 2014, 11:53 (3544 days ago) @ General Vagueness

You're being ridiculous. There's several ways they can time travel and look old.

You're being ridiculous, because I never said they couldn't. I said it implies they've been around the whole time.

It doesn't really imply either?

Off the top of my head:

Yes, and going by Occam's razor the more likely explanation is that they're just old. (I realize of course that this is not just fiction but sci-fantasy, and the simplest explanation is often boring; that doesn't take away from the logical grounds of it.)

Actually, Occam's Razor says nothing about their time traveling. Just that they're old in some way or form, which noone has tried to deny.

Anyway, I think he was talking more about their aesthetics, the hammered brass look and whatever else-- hammered brass says ancient Greek/Roman era (I think), in human terms.

The aesthetics for whatever made them wouldn't necessarily correlate, and even if they are from our past that isn't a strike against time travel.

I'm not ignoring it, if I was ignoring it I would have at least not addressed it and probably stopped posting.
They do know the Vex's origin, but that doesn't mean they're telling us, and it doesn't mean they're telling us directly and without wavering-- and they shouldn't tell us directly, don't you think that's kind of a spoiler?

Again, wrong. It is more evidence in favor of time travel.

Being "beyond space and time" is so vague and cliché as to be almost meaningless, all it really says is "hey whoo sci-fi look sci-fi", and for that matter "pocket worlds" isn't a lot better.

I'd concede the first point, but pocket worlds seem rather more legitimate.

Exactly what the Vex do we don't know, but throwing it out because we don't yet know everything is not how this works. We gather evidence and make theories that best fit that evidence. We do not gather evidence, throw out evidence we don't like, then make a theory, which is what you seem to be doing.

I said in the beginning this is largely wishful thinking (which has now increased, having realized that telling us that and having it be true would be a spoiler to some degree). I think I'm well within reason to say what I said, though. I think the things I pointed out do indicate reasonable doubt of the hard factuality of the Vex time-traveling.
And hey, this is all rampant speculation anyway, this is supposed to be fun. Maybe I came off too serious, I'm sorry if I did.

Anyone saying that Vex time travel is confirmed is being silly, but you might have come off too strong in your statements against it?

I said that about one thing, not all of this evidence. If I remember correctly, that was flavor text for a weapon or a pre-order bonus, not something that was really "about" the Vex. That and what I noted above lead me to call it fluff. I will say I'm not 100% positive on the origin though and regardless of that we could end up finding it in information tied to the Vex more closely, and it could end up being important... it's just that it's still vague and cliché and feels like fluff.
I'll also note that everything I pointed out is a work of comedy. Not making sense and having certain problems of plot and logic can work in your favor if you're making a comedy.

One can write a story with time travel that makes perfect sense and is internally consistent. It's just really easy to screw up? As I understand, though, Bungie have the chops to do it well without paradox, especially since it (most likely) won't be the focus or a crux to the plot.

Vex spex

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Sunday, August 24, 2014, 17:02 (3544 days ago) @ RaichuKFM

Off the top of my head:

Actually, Occam's Razor says nothing about their time traveling. Just that they're old in some way or form, which noone has tried to deny.

What? I meant "the simplest explanation tends to be the correct one", with the one that doesn't involve time travel being simpler. I looked it up to check, and apparently it's more about how many assumptions are made, which also would support the "they're just old" stance, because otherwise you have to assume time travel exists in the Destiny universe, and it can be controlled, and the Vex (or their creators) found a way to use it and control it, and they decided to send the Vex to this time period and succeeded (or they accidentally sent the Vex to this time period, which would be really interesting), and there are physical or practical restrictions on it that prevent them from achieving whatever they wanted to do immediately or at least very quickly (since they're still around doing stuff).

The aesthetics for whatever made them wouldn't necessarily correlate, and even if they are from our past that isn't a strike against time travel.

I wasn't trying to say that was a strike against time travel, I was saying I thought that statement was more about how they seem than how they are, and that because of that it doesn't really tell us about how they are-- but that's just my reading of it, I could be wrong.

Anyone saying that Vex time travel is confirmed is being silly, but you might have come off too strong in your statements against it?

Whoa, OK, I think you might be going into this too heavily.
That's not what I meant. I meant this whole thing ultimately doesn't matter much and talking about it is mainly just for fun.
Since you bring it up, it may have been confirmed at some point, but I think it's in question now and was in question before whatever confirmation it might have had.

Vex spex

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Sunday, August 24, 2014, 21:03 (3544 days ago) @ General Vagueness

Off the top of my head:

What? I meant "the simplest explanation tends to be the correct one", with the one that doesn't involve time travel being simpler. I looked it up to check, and apparently it's more about how many assumptions are made, which also would support the "they're just old" stance, because otherwise you have to assume time travel exists in the Destiny universe, and it can be controlled, and the Vex (or their creators) found a way to use it and control it, and they decided to send the Vex to this time period and succeeded (or they accidentally sent the Vex to this time period, which would be really interesting), and there are physical or practical restrictions on it that prevent them from achieving whatever they wanted to do immediately or at least very quickly (since they're still around doing stuff).

Except that Occam's Razor just would state that they are old regardless of any time travel. It would be a strike against the idea that they aged via time travel, though.

I wasn't trying to say that was a strike against time travel, I was saying I thought that statement was more about how they seem than how they are, and that because of that it doesn't really tell us about how they are-- but that's just my reading of it, I could be wrong.

I see. I read it as both?

Whoa, OK, I think you might be going into this too heavily.
That's not what I meant. I meant this whole thing ultimately doesn't matter much and talking about it is mainly just for fun.
Since you bring it up, it may have been confirmed at some point, but I think it's in question now and was in question before whatever confirmation it might have had.

Well apparently I did the thing where it sounds like I'm disagreeing with someone who I'm not. Sorry.

Vex spex

by kapowaz, Saturday, August 23, 2014, 01:28 (3546 days ago) @ General Vagueness

Even basing the story around time travel isn't a guarantee things will turn out fine, Back to the Future II proves that.

YOU TAKE THAT BACK RIGHT NOW YOUNG MAN.

Vex spex

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Saturday, August 23, 2014, 11:08 (3545 days ago) @ kapowaz

Even basing the story around time travel isn't a guarantee things will turn out fine, Back to the Future II proves that.

YOU TAKE THAT BACK RIGHT NOW YOUNG MAN.

why?

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread