Trails of Osiris *SP?* (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, August 24, 2014, 17:26 (3543 days ago)
edited by Cody Miller, Sunday, August 24, 2014, 17:30

Lame.

You have to spend a mote of light to buy a coin to play. Lose three times, you are out. Want to play again? Spend another mote of light to get another coin.

Welcome to the grind.

To paraphrase Jason Jones: "Fuck that".

Since when is making your players jump through hoops to do cool things considered good design?

Trials of Osiris *SP?*

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Sunday, August 24, 2014, 17:30 (3543 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Sounds good, IMHO.

Keeps the place highly skilled.

Sucks that it is the only chance we'll get too see that map, though.

Trials of Osiris *SP?*

by Doooskey, Kansas City, MO, Monday, August 25, 2014, 09:51 (3542 days ago) @ ZackDark

Sounds good, IMHO.

Keeps the place highly skilled.

Sucks that it is the only chance we'll get too see that map, though.

I agree with you. This sounds awesome to me, and I am intrigued by the map exclusivity. I would imagine that eventually the map will make it's way into other modes.

From what I read on this, a lot of this is speculation on behalf of Destiny News.

Source for those who need it.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Sunday, August 24, 2014, 17:41 (3543 days ago) @ Cody Miller

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Sunday, August 24, 2014, 17:48 (3543 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

http://destinynews.net/trials-osiris/

thanks, I don't know why people do that

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Sunday, August 24, 2014, 18:07 (3543 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

OK, actually, I tried to figure out the sourcing here, and... it says near the beginning:

The Trials of Osiris will only take place on The Burning Shrine, and The Burning Shrine will only be available when playing the Trials of Osiris (as mentioned here).

That goes to a pretty good interview which covers a lot of the same stuff as another recent interview, and it mentions "The Burning Shrine" and that it's a multiplayer map, but what that article says is mentioned isn't mentioned there, nothing about the exclusivity of the map or the "Trials of Osiris"-- so where did they get this information?

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Sunday, August 24, 2014, 18:25 (3543 days ago) @ General Vagueness

Jonty Barnes: For us in the studio, it was not something we were instantly worried about. The one thing we’re not worried about Destiny is, is there enough game there? I can assure you, it’s a huge undertaking. It’s a huge game. I don’t think anyone’s got anything to worry about.
Oh, and Mercury. There is a multiplayer map, which is the only time you get to visit Mercury on the launch content of Destiny 1. And it’s called The Burning Shrine. It’s one of the most beautiful multiplayer maps. It’s right by the sun so the skybox is incredible. Also it has changing Vex blocks, so your sightlines can be totally disrupted during competitive multiplayer. It’s by far my favourite map, because it’s changing reality.

There's that, I guess.

by Avateur @, Sunday, August 24, 2014, 18:36 (3543 days ago) @ ZackDark

So it's by far his favorite map. It's beautiful. It might play awesome. But you have to grind to get in, and if you lose three times in a game that largely seems dictated by luck and who sees the other person first in battle, you have to earn more space bucks to get back in. lol

I agree with Cody on this one. Sounds pretty stupid to me.

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Sunday, August 24, 2014, 18:38 (3543 days ago) @ Avateur

Yeah, being the only (supposedly) chance to see this map makes it a very bad call, IMO. Give us Customs with it as an option and I easily let it slide.

Citation Needed. :)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Sunday, August 24, 2014, 18:44 (3543 days ago) @ Avateur

Specifically, find the source that says that The Burning Shire is exclusive to the Trials of Osiris mode. The quote we have says the map in question is the only way we'll get to Mercury with Destiny's launch content but nothing more... Maybe I've missed something or am reading it horribly wrong?

by Avateur @, Sunday, August 24, 2014, 20:34 (3543 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I'm sure Cody, that article, and myself will gladly provide a citation proving ourselves right or wrong when the game launches! :D

by Kalamari @, Waiting for Ghorn, FB, and BH, Monday, August 25, 2014, 07:42 (3542 days ago) @ Avateur

Actually, I think I am looking forward to the criticism of Destiny more than Destiny itself. I can't wait to read people's thoughts, it should be very entertaining.

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Tuesday, August 26, 2014, 00:23 (3542 days ago) @ General Vagueness
edited by General Vagueness, Tuesday, August 26, 2014, 00:30

OK, actually, I tried to figure out the sourcing here, and... it says near the beginning:

The Trials of Osiris will only take place on The Burning Shrine, and The Burning Shrine will only be available when playing the Trials of Osiris (as mentioned here).

That goes to a pretty good interview which covers a lot of the same stuff as another recent interview, and it mentions "The Burning Shrine" and that it's a multiplayer map, but what that article says is mentioned isn't mentioned there, nothing about the exclusivity of the map or the "Trials of Osiris"-- so where did they get this information?

Whoop, reading comprehension failure on my part, the whole paragraph says:

The Trials of Osiris will only take place on The Burning Shrine, and The Burning Shrine will only be available when playing the Trials of Osiris (as mentioned here). As we can see from the description of the Osiris Coin, we’ll be able to go to Mercury for the Trials of Osiris and earn rewards for continued victories. It’s assumed that the Osiris Faction promotes this Crucible mode.

That has all the links the same as the article, and that's an important factor.
The operative part here besides what I pointed out before is the description of the Osiris Coin from DestinyDB, that the site helpfully pops up when you hover on the link, which is:

An invitation to prove yourself on Mercury as one of the Crucible's elite. Each win builds to greater rewards and grants another try.

That combined with the statement from Bungie that there's only one map on Mercury and it's a multiplayer map pretty much fills everything in. The description for Trials of Osiris gives the last piece, the "three strikes and you're out" part:

Only the worthy may face the Trials of Osiris, for only the worthy are strong enough to endure what is to come. A string of victories will earn great rewards - but lose three times and you're out.

The line about the Osiris Coin is nice, because it implies you get three tries initially but you get an extra chance to play each time you win.

The question now, which I've seen asked before and which I'm not sure I've seen answered that well, is where DestinyDB gets its information, and this information in particular.

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Tuesday, August 26, 2014, 03:42 (3541 days ago) @ General Vagueness

The question now, which I've seen asked before and which I'm not sure I've seen answered that well, is where DestinyDB gets its information, and this information in particular.

They pulled the game data through the companion app during the Beta. Some have argued that "Bungie wouldn't enable the entire game on the server side during a Beta", but based on what they've discovered I'm inclined to believe that they in fact did not lock everything down on their side.

It's very much information retrieved via haxx0rs

by kapowaz, Monday, August 25, 2014, 07:55 (3542 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Strange way of letting this kind of information leak out, given how Bungie have been so anally-retentive for the past couple of years. I'd have thought that sharing controversial news would be something they'd want to carefully stage manage and orchestrate rather than letting it (possibly) build up a load of negative (but) false assumptions…

Trails of Osiris *SP?*

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Sunday, August 24, 2014, 17:55 (3543 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I had not heard about the buy in before or I've forgotten it. Where was that mentioned? Also, I wonder if these coins are the same ones I had a few of in the Beta? [Edit]Answered[/Edit]

Anyway, keep tilling at those Investment System windmills. I'm out. :)

[image]

XKCD is always a good choice

by Yapok @, Sunday, August 24, 2014, 18:00 (3543 days ago) @ Ragashingo

- No text -

Trails of Osiris *SP?*

by Yapok @, Sunday, August 24, 2014, 17:59 (3543 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Blizzard's hearthstone arena mode is kindof like that, spend a certain amount of ingame currency that takes days to get for a chance at good loot - provided you dont fail three times. Others do like it for some reason. I am not too fond of this type of mechanic. Guess we will see how annoying that will be come launch.

Trails of Osiris *SP?*

by Mattchoo, Sunday, August 24, 2014, 18:47 (3543 days ago) @ Yapok

In my opinion, that type of hypothetical mechanic makes it more worthwhile. This game feels alive and meaningful. I get bored and annoyed when something is pointless. So using currency to enter a competition to earn rare loot only found in that event is very intriguing to me.

fair enough :)

by Yapok @, Sunday, August 24, 2014, 20:01 (3543 days ago) @ Mattchoo

- No text -

Pay to play…

by kapowaz, Monday, August 25, 2014, 07:49 (3542 days ago) @ Yapok

Blizzard's hearthstone arena mode is kindof like that, spend a certain amount of ingame currency that takes days to get for a chance at good loot - provided you dont fail three times.

One other (potentially) important thing regarding Hearthstone's arena mode: it costs either 150 gold (the in-game currency) or: $1.99 USD, €1.79 EUR or £1.49 GBP (also 4.50 BRL if there are any Brazilians here). This means that whilst you have the choice to grind for gold, you also have the alternative of paying for entry.

Now, whilst there are similarities with Hearthstone, it's worth remembering that Hearthstone is fundamentally a collectible card game, so it's expected that players will either be grinding or paying for cards. What I'm wondering is whether by this analogy we might see Bungie selling motes of light for real money as an in-game purchase; if they're not used directly to gain items (but rather, indirectly, as rewards from activities for which they are currency to participate) then it's possible they might be willing to go down that route.

It would be a pretty controversial choice though, so I'm not too surprised that they've kept it quiet; I can well imagine a lot of PvP fans being very pissed off about this…

Searching for Guardians...

by petetheduck, Sunday, August 24, 2014, 18:57 (3543 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

Heh, I know right?

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Sunday, August 24, 2014, 19:01 (3543 days ago) @ petetheduck

The rewards must be insanely good to convince people to spend Motes of Light so often

Well said Pete.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Sunday, August 24, 2014, 19:08 (3543 days ago) @ petetheduck

15 Days. SO close... but so far.

Searching for Guardians...

by Blue_Blazer_NZ, Wellington, New Zealand, Sunday, August 24, 2014, 21:43 (3543 days ago) @ petetheduck

Yeah, I have a feeling the population would be relatively small in a matchmaking hopper such as this. That would cause long wait times searching for optimal connections or possibly match you with randoms on the other side of the world because the population simply isn't big enough.

Probably more of an issue for us here in Australia and NZ than for those of you in the States or Europe.

Spend coin to play, good players stay on.

by scarab @, Monday, August 25, 2014, 00:08 (3543 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I thought that was your definition of the best gaming experience - the pure form - it forced game designers to make enjoyable games. (Ring any bells?)

It's almost as if they listened to you.

Be careful what you ask for...

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, August 25, 2014, 00:55 (3543 days ago) @ scarab
edited by Cody Miller, Monday, August 25, 2014, 00:59

I thought that was your definition of the best gaming experience - the pure form - it forced game designers to make enjoyable games. (Ring any bells?)

It's almost as if they listened to you.

Be careful what you ask for...

Lol.

Not quite. I come to the arcade with a pocket full of quarters. You don't have to waste your time to get more. You spend money at an arcade. You spend time with investment systems. Frankly, my time is more valuable than my money.

Arcade games are built around the exact opposite principle. Instead of stringing things out, they concentrate things.

Did your parents give you those 1/4s or did u grind 4 them?

by scarab @, Monday, August 25, 2014, 04:40 (3542 days ago) @ Cody Miller

How did you come by those quarters?

Frankly, my time is more valuable than my money.

so micro-transactions might help? ;-)

Anyway, I'm just winding you up. Though you do buy your money with your time IRL; somebody paid for those quarters.

Real life: the ultimate grind :)

by TTL Demag0gue ⌂ @, Within the shadow of the Traveler, Monday, August 25, 2014, 04:58 (3542 days ago) @ scarab
edited by TTL Demag0gue, Monday, August 25, 2014, 05:11

- No text -

by yakaman, Monday, August 25, 2014, 08:46 (3542 days ago) @ scarab

Anyway, I'm just winding you up. Though you do buy your money with your time IRL; somebody paid for those quarters.

I'm guessing that there will be very little grind for great players, or for players with specific skill sets. Speed runners, trickers, platformers, FPS-masters - they'll have motes falling into their laps. Who knows, Cody might be that arcade ace that people paid so they could see levels they wouldn't otherwise get to.

I was that ace for My Hero and Mat Mania, but 1987 was a long time ago. ;-)

Eh, will have to see how this plays out. On one hand, exclusivity, challenge, esteem, and honor. On the other, bitterness, grind, pettiness, and frustration. How bad the briefing for some poor soul that goes 8-19 and costs Superstar McGee their 3rd loss?

Maybe they're trying to create a place for all the uber-competatives to gather?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, August 25, 2014, 09:11 (3542 days ago) @ scarab

NO.

1. When you pay for the hardware and software, the expectation is then that you do not pay to play. Pay to play is precisely so that you DON'T have to buy the machine.

2. If Trials of Osiris were accessible via a micro transaction, you would be paying for a chance at a reward. In the arcade, you pay to merely play the game; no reward is nessesary.

by kapowaz, Monday, August 25, 2014, 08:13 (3542 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Not quite. I come to the arcade with a pocket full of quarters. You don't have to waste your time to get more. You spend money at an arcade. You spend time with investment systems. Frankly, my time is more valuable than my money

With that in mind, I wonder how you'd feel if this came to pass?

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Monday, August 25, 2014, 10:17 (3542 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Actually, your time is worth exactly what you could earn in that time. If you spend an hour's wage, you're exchanging work you've done in the past (time spent) for work you don't want to do now (making the sandwich you just bought, for example). Money is just time tokens.

Which doesnt make your point any less valid of course. Or more. Or anything. Im just being a smartass.

too meta for me ;)

by Yapok @, Monday, August 25, 2014, 10:18 (3542 days ago) @ someotherguy

- No text -

Trails of Osiris *SP?*

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Monday, August 25, 2014, 05:34 (3542 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Such the complainer.

It doesn't occur to you that games will be more intense knowing something is at stake? That people will have earned their way in one way or another and the likelihood of Randos without mics and idiots charging around blindly is significantly diminished?

I imagine the mood will be a bit like the Iron Banner matches, only moreso. Seeing Strength of the Wolf pop up during a match is pretty invigorating, imagine matches where that is only the barest requirement for success.

You complain and complain about not liking this mechanic or that one, railing against the grind, and then when an opportunity is presented where pitting your skill against another player's (instead of finding high level creeps to fight) is likely to grant you rare rewards, you still aren't happy?

We've had the discussion about rare weapons predictably dropping in certain scenarios becoming mile markers in the late game. This would seem to address some of that concern by (assuming the article is correct) allowing the player the choice of redeeming whatever currency is earned in victories. And one mote per three matches is a fair enough guarantee that you won't be instantly ground into paste and will actually be given a fair shake at the rarer loot.

I understand your M.O. is to instantly assess the bounds of the system and judge it by breaking it down via your very unique logic. But you still haven't played it. Who knows, you might even have fun with it.

At the very least, I'd say this guarantees a pretty non-standard experience in the late game, as I'm fairly confident that to get the very best gear one will have to be a well-rounded player. I'm willing to bet the most successful loadouts we'll see will be cobbled together from gear across all game modes.

I'm not sure you can really ask a developer to demand more of their players than that.

~m

Trails of Osiris *SP?*

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, August 25, 2014, 08:41 (3542 days ago) @ Malagate

I understand your M.O. is to instantly assess the bounds of the system and judge it by breaking it down via your very unique logic. But you still haven't played it. Who knows, you might even have fun with it.

Here's how I predict my Destiny experience will be.

1. Play through the story missions and have ten tons of fun.
2. Hit level 20, and become bored and frustrated with the late game and the investment system.
3. After dealing with that, do the raid and have ten tons of fun.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread